"#NotNolan" - Contrived #MeToo Bandwagoning Hits Gaming

Greetings, fellow Escapists. Seeing as I have never yet started a thread in my 3+ years on these forums, I figured I should get it over with before the Final Curtain descends. Luckily, there is a current topic worthy of attention.

As some of you may have noticed, the Game Developers Conference, "the largest annual gathering of professional video game developers, focusing on learning, inspiration, and networking" was set to honor Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell with the "Pioneer" Award this year, for basically creating the games industry and stuff. But then, Brianna Wu happened, again. This video by the rare, good kind of games journalist Brad Glasgow explains, so I recommend you just watch it:

However, if you're disinclined to view the video for whatever reason, here's a brief TL; DW:

-There had been some prior chatter about "the need" to bring the #MeToo phenomenon into gaming.

-After the award was announced, Democratic congressional aspirant and onetime game developer Brianna Wu, known for courageously challenging the prevailing quality standards with Revolution 60 and now running on an Anti-"GAMEEERGATE!"/Anti-Moon Rock Weaponization platform, posted allegations of sexual misconduct against Mr. Bushnell, based on a distorted reading of some old articles about Atari.

-These accusations were picked up by alleged game developer Elizabeth Sampat (perhaps best known for getting a standing ovation for screaming "Fuck this industry!" at a previous This Industry event), who initiated the #NotNolan hashtag.

-The hashtag was then joined by 17 other accounts, making it such a massive Social Media wave that it had to be covered by Megan Farokmanesh of The Verge. Other publications, like Rolling Stone also picked up on the "story". Apparently, they saw little need to reach out to actual former Atari employees in order to verify the third-hand accusations by Ms. Wu and her cohort.

-The GDC awards committee, however, was contacted and asked the pressing question "Why u gib prize to sexiest bad man?!" They in turn deliberated overnight and announced the next morning that they were rescinding Mr. Bushnell's recognition. Thankfully, fellow award recipients Tim "Mr. SithFace" Schafer, of past achievement fame and current crowdfleecing infamy, and globe-trotting "indie" scenester and influence peddler Rami Ismail are still getting their awards, so all was not lost.

-Former female Atari employees appear and go totally off-script, insisting that Mr. Bushnell was in fact a great boss and there never was any harassment going on at Atari, just some mild loucheness characteristic of the times. Furthermore, it turns out that something like 36% of early Atari employees were women, which is something that the current, shrilly "wamen-empowering" industry cannot even approach, suggesting uncomfortable questions about The Narrative.

So, there we have it. It's almost as if a coven of talent-free opportunists were desperately seeking any opening through which to bring the growing hysteria caused by Hollywood scumbaggery into gaming, presumably for fun and profit. So they pounced on this illustrious septuagenarian gentleman like a rabid pack of hyenas and managed to rob him of the deserved recognition by those who followed in his footsteps into the industry he was instrumental in founding, besmirching his name and casting aspersions on his colleagues.

I personally find all this absolutely appalling. How about You, Dear Reader? And should you agree, do you think there is something we as "gamers" could do to contribute to rectifying this injustice and prevent it from happening again?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Good on Brad, putting some actual journalism out there; Lord knows it's about as common as teeth on poultry these days.

Other than that, hardly anything surprising, I'd say. Ideologue dimwits - professional journalists among them, naturally, because of course there are - hunkering to bring about political witch-hunts, and being damned if they're going to let facts stand in the way of the narrative, you say?

Well... what else is new?

Let him speak for himself.

CaitSeith:

That's a negatory, skipper. There's no reason to be content with a statement made under what we may well assume is a condition of duress and misinformation. He is probably mindful of exposing his family and former colleagues to an extended smear campaign unless he fully capitulates. And also probably anxiously wondering which of his former coworkers might have nursed grievances unknown to him for decades.

Uhh, this guy's...proclivities we're so well known that they've been anecdotes in videogame media for decades.

But sure, get mad on behalf of someone who doesn't want you too, like the SJWs you are.

StatusNil:

CaitSeith:

That's a negatory, skipper. There's no reason to be content with a statement made under what we may well assume is a condition of duress and misinformation. He is probably mindful of exposing his family and former colleagues to an extended smear campaign unless he fully capitulates. And also probably anxiously wondering which of his former coworkers might have nursed grievances unknown to him for decades.

That's sort of like the situation a female secretary would be in if she were asked by her boss to get in a hot tub with him

CaitSeith:

Or perhaps we could listen to the women who actually worked with Bushnell instead of paragons of mental stability who were still in their diapers back then such as Brianna Wu.

But then again, I could be wrong; I'm not that well versed on the finer points of Twitter Witch Hunt Law.

I do love the narrative of "that guy expressing regret is only doing so because teh SJWs are forcing them and never for any other reason". It's an unprovable assertion that handily removes the possibility that said person acknowledges they were kind of a shit.

Which, I dunno, supports something? Like, what are you actually defending here? Atari dude getting an award in 2018?

StatusNil:

-Former female Atari employees appear and go totally off-script, insisting that Mr. Bushnell was in fact a great boss and there never was any harassment going on at Atari, just some mild loucheness characteristic of the times. Furthermore, it turns out that something like 36% of early Atari employees were women, which is something that the current, shrilly "wamen-empowering" industry cannot even approach, suggesting uncomfortable questions about The Narrative.
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

I like how you can acknowledge that there's a problem with hiring women in tech but only as a way to bash SJWs and having it be not a real problem when people try to bring it up in any other context.

altnameJag:
I like how you can acknowledge that there's a problem with hiring women in tech but only as a way to bash SJWs and having it be not a real problem when people try to bring it up in any other context.

Nice how you keep it positive these days, with all the loving that and liking this. However, please allow me to clarify that I'm merely pointing to the stated goals of the crusaders being more effectively achieved by Bushnell decades ago than their antics today, not signalling any personal concern with these "gender" ratios. Loni Reeder, for example, stated she was hired because of her enthusiasm, not to fill a quota. That sounds good to me.

...if you wrung your hands any harder I'm pretty sure you'd counteract the rotation of the earth and kill us all.

StatusNil:

altnameJag:

Nice how you keep it positive these days, with all the loving that and liking this. However, please allow me to clarify that I'm merely pointing to the stated goals of the crusaders being more effectively achieved by Bushnell decades ago than their antics today, not signalling any personal concern with these "gender" ratios. Loni Reeder, for example, stated she was hired because of her enthusiasm, not to fill a quota. That sounds good to me.

Well, that and how likely they were to get into a hot tub with their CEO.

But sure, Bushnell's not the worst guy out there. He's lauded as the father of videogame arcades, he bailed on Atari before the release of their biggest console, he started Chuck E Cheese, and he lost out on the opportunity of owning a third of Apple.

What would yet another accolade do for him? He doesn't seem too worried about it. Good that you guys found some different outrage fodder, though most gamers have since moved on to getting really upset the Subnautica devs fired that racist.

And you never said whether or not the games industry had a problem with hiring women

My feelings on Gamergate are well known.

After some interviews with Nolan, there's a lot of things I don't like about this old sack of hair and his general "Git off my lawn you damn kids!" mentality about video games.

But even with that...yea, Wu is full of it and I see no credibility in this attack.

StatusNil:
snip

Serious question: Do you and Brad Glasgow seriously not know about the previously published reports about Bushnell and Atari over the years, or are your guys purposefully ignoring them so you can pin this character assassination crap on an "LW"?

Exley97:

Serious question: Do you and Brad Glasgow seriously not know about the previously published reports about Bushnell and Atari over the years, or are your guys purposefully ignoring them so you can pin this character assassination crap on an "LW"?

I guess I should answer a serious question, no matter how silly.

OK, let's get this out of the way: I don't speak for Brad Glasgow. Never met the guy, never spoken to him. So any questions concerning him would preferably be addressed to him. This isn't "journalism", in which you can just speak for anyone without consulting them. You know, like "Teh Wamen of Atari".

Now as for me, I know there are reports of a freewheeling 70's lifestyle at Atari, but none to my knowledge of any woman complaining about being victimized by Mr. Bushnell. So why is this an issue? You know who else used to party back in the day? Everyone, not least the staff of Rolling Stone magazine, which saw fit to join this little witch hunt. And it was all radical and Progressive back then. Do you seriously not know that, or are you and Wu (who I assume you speak for) purposefully ignoring that just so you can character assassinate a (and I quote) "Pioneer" of the industry so games can be just as "relevant" as the sleazy movie biz?

I really wonder how you can in good conscience continue to support the rampages of this delusional individual. Wu is beyond an "LW" now, thanks to you media types. Just before getting on Bushnell's case, the congressional candidate was on record claiming that "Gamergate" had killed dozens of people and were "conspiring with terrorists to deploy WMD". Jesus, where does it end? In the White House, with Bold New Initiatives to secure the planet for Women? I guess you'll be there behind the podium, taking questions about the necessity of nuking the Moon from Slate, Kotaku and Everyday Feministing. Truly the living shall envy the dead, and you'll have helped every step of the way.

StatusNil:

Now as for me, I know there are reports of a freewheeling 70's lifestyle at Atari, but none to my knowledge of any woman complaining about being victimized by Mr. Bushnell. So why is this an issue? You know who else used to party back in the day? Everyone, not least the staff of Rolling Stone magazine, which saw fit to join this little witch hunt. And it was all radical and Progressive back then. Do you seriously not know that, or are you and Wu (who I assume you speak for) purposefully ignoring that just so you can character assassinate a (and I quote) "Pioneer" of the industry so games can be just as "relevant" as the sleazy movie biz?

Everyone was doing it and nobody thought it was wrong at the time, so it's okay.

Or something?

I really wonder how you can in good conscience continue to support the rampages of this delusional individual. Wu is beyond an "LW" now, thanks to you media types. Just before getting on Bushnell's case, the congressional candidate was on record claiming that "Gamergate" had killed dozens of people and were "conspiring with terrorists to deploy WMD". Jesus, where does it end? In the White House, with Bold New Initiatives to secure the planet for Women? I guess you'll be there behind the podium, taking questions about the necessity of nuking the Moon from Slate, Kotaku and Everyday Feministing. Truly the living shall envy the dead, and you'll have helped every step of the way.

That sounds distinctly like something that never happened.

Ogoid:

CaitSeith:

Or perhaps we could listen to the women who actually worked with Bushnell

Fair enough.

CaitSeith:

Fair enough.

See, if only the consummate professionals in the gaming media had bothered to do so - that being, you know, their job - before they had cost an award to someone who, according to the very people he's supposed to have wronged, didn't in fact do anything wrong (and I can't help but notice not only a rather conspicuous lack of accusations of impropriety on Bushnell's part in that article, as well as a distinct undercurrent of frustration at that very fact), why, I daresay everyone would have simply been better off.

But alas, there I go again with my unrealistic expectations of current day journalism reporting on facts instead of pushing partisan politics.

Ogoid:

CaitSeith:

Fair enough.

See, if only the consummate professionals in the gaming media had bothered to do so - that being, you know, their job - before they had cost an award to someone who, according to the very people he's supposed to have wronged, didn't in fact do anything wrong (and I can't help but notice not only a rather conspicuous lack of accusations of impropriety on Bushnell's part in that article, as well as a distinct undercurrent of frustration at that very fact), why, I daresay everyone would have simply been better off.

But alas, there I go again with my unrealistic expectations of current day journalism reporting on facts instead of pushing partisan politics.

You mean the consummate professionals like kotaku who actually made that article that was quoted?
Because the #NotNolan people just said "hey this is what that guy did, do you still want to give him this award?" and they said "no we do not."
That's all that happened here. Were some women okay with the work environment? Yes, according to that Kotaku article. But that doesn't really change the reason why the GDC decided to change who they were giving the award to

Wait, I'm confused. Where did Briana even get the allegation ideas? Like if the very women who worked there say he didn't harass them, what articles are she citing?

altnameJag:
Everyone was doing it and nobody thought it was wrong at the time, so it's okay.

Or something?

Um, you have a problem with that? It's not like anyone involved think it was wrong now. If you're going to be castigating someone, don't you think there should be, like, some wrongdoing? How is it somehow your or anyone's business what people get up to if nobody objects? Cos if that's what we're gonna do now, I have this list...

altnameJag:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anything about Ms. Wu. This is, again, a congressional candidate who raised an alarm about moon rocks. That is, the terrifying prospect that anyone can just go up to the Moon and hurl rocks at the Earth, which will then hit with the force of nuclear weapons. It's a straight shot down, after all... If only we'd learned from Neil Armstrong's tragic fall, which did take out Atlantis. It was a tiny hop for a man, but a calamity for all peoplekind.

Silentpony:
Wait, I'm confused. Where did Briana even get the allegation ideas? Like if the very women who worked there say he didn't harass them, what articles are she citing?

First one fact to put perfectly clear: the accusation isn't that he harassed women. Women game designers cited these:

The Ultimate History of Video Games: from Pong to Pokemon and beyond...the story behind the craze that touched our lives and changed the world (a book by Steven L. Kent)

https://www.playboy.com/articles/sex-drugs--video-games

The Most Controversial Moments In Video Games: Part 2 - Sex and Violence in the Seventies article in retrocollect.com

StatusNil:

altnameJag:

Or something?

Um, you have a problem with that? It's not like anyone involved think it was wrong now. If you're going to be castigating someone, don't you think there should be, like, some wrongdoing? How is it somehow your or anyone's business what people get up to if nobody objects? Cos if that's what we're gonna do now, I have this list...

Look one post up. (Then again, you're posting this in defense of a guy that doesn't object, lol)

altnameJag:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anything about Ms. Wu. This is, again, a congressional candidate who raised an alarm about moon rocks. That is, the terrifying prospect that anyone can just go up to the Moon and hurl rocks at the Earth, which will then hit with the force of nuclear weapons. It's a straight shot down, after all... If only we'd learned from Neil Armstrong's tragic fall, which did take out Atlantis. It was a tiny hop for a man, but a calamity for all peoplekind.

So, if you use the [link] tag, I could actually read this alleged insanity.

But, I mean, dropping big rocks from space is kind of a superweapon we've been toying around with the idea of for awhile. Not, usually, asteroids or anything, I think the current idea is tungsten rods, but yeah, they'd hit with the force of a low yield nuke.

Though, relation to Wu is still absent. Not that I really care, but, y'know... image

[edit]I did go and find it, so yeah, kinda dopey. Then again, my state elected a rep that said social security isn't biblical because Noah built boats when he was 600, so I'm more okay with the gal who doesn't want space militarized than the dude who takes the Bible literally and would use it to cut benefits to the elderly.[/edit]

BeeTeeDubs, when you make the claim, you provide the links. That's how informed debate works. Like, if this were some complicated medical thing, or there's a half dozen people asking the same thing, then sure, I get it, do your own fucking research. But this? Where I'm the only one asking, and you just pile on instead of linking anything? That's why nobody takes your word on this stuff. So, again, Wu claimed GamerGate killed dozens?

DrownedAmmet:

Ogoid:

CaitSeith:

Fair enough.

You mean the consummate professionals like kotaku who actually made that article that was quoted?
Because the #NotNolan people just said "hey this is what that guy did, do you still want to give him this award?" and they said "no we do not."
That's all that happened here. Were some women okay with the work environment? Yes, according to that Kotaku article. But that doesn't really change the reason why the GDC decided to change who they were giving the award to

Never thought I'd see the day where people didn't even bother to read the headline.

When I read about this many many earth days ago, the first thought that came to mind was "oh dear, some chucklefuck is going to post this at the escapist and blow it all out of proportion while clutching their man-pearls, aren't they?"

Xsjadoblayde:
When I read about this many many earth days ago, the first thought that came to mind was "oh dear, some chucklefuck is going to post this at the escapist and blow it all out of proportion while clutching their man-pearls, aren't they?"

Hah, wrong again. It was posted by me, not some chucklefuck. But thanks for your contribution, especially the beaver shots.

Now, here's Brad Glasgow, with an editorial follow-up:

StatusNil:

Xsjadoblayde:

Hah, wrong again. It was posted by me, not some chucklefuck. But thanks for your contribution, especially the beaver shots.

Now, here's Brad Glasgow, with an editorial follow-up:

Got a YouTube video for "Wu claimed GamerGate killed dozens"?

altnameJag:
Got a YouTube video for "Wu claimed GamerGate killed dozens"?

Sadly no, and I didn't even find the KiA thread that had the quote. But just keep watching her, shouldn't take too long for something bizarre to manifest.

And that's the kind of research you get for paying nothing.

StatusNil:
Hah, wrong again. It was posted by me, not some chucklefuck. But thanks for your contribution, especially the beaver shots

I'm sorry, I keep zoning out when you talk #truth, nevertheless am unsure how I can be wrong about remembering what thinks I thought.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here