Anyone Using PS4 Remote Play

Anyone Using PS4 Remote Play?

Sounds superior to XB1 remote play in that one need not be on the same AP and SSID (though would love to hear that is not the case).

Have you tried it? Was it a good experience?

Do you know if it will work with PS3?

Your advice is appreciated.

I'm assuming/hoping you're talking about Remote Play with PSVita?
Because there's a wall of text incoming, and it would be a shame if I wrote all of that for nothing :I

I have occasionally connected my Vita to a friend's PS4 (and even PS3, once).

First, I'll get the PS3 out of the way:
It comes across as an afterthought (which it is). The button's, I feel, are not very reasonably mapped (to input R2, press SELECT+R. Or something along those lines. Wat.)
It worked, in that I could control the PS3 home menu, but if you want to play games, they have to actively support the Remote Play feature. And apparently, very few titles actually do.

PS4, on the other hand:
Everything works much better. Pretty much every PS4 game out there is compatible with Remote Play (just check the back of the game box). The button layout can vary between games, though. That is to say, whatever buttons the Vita shares with the PS4, are mostly identical. But since the Dualshock4 has more buttons overall, the designers have to get creative with the Vita's front and rear touch pad, to emulate the missing buttons. Some configurations work well, some not so much. It depends on the game.

I have not tried Remote play via different Acess Points yet, but I can tell you that it needs a reasonably fast and stable internet connection. There's an option to reduce the quality of the video feed, if your connection ain't that great; but even then, you propably won't be able to Remotely Play via mobile internet (if that was your plan).

Overall, Remote play is a pretty sweet feature. It doesn't work as well as the Wii U's Off-TV Play, but then, how could it. But if I owned a PS4, you can bet I'd use it quite often, because gaming in bed or on the toilet is awesome.
Oh, and you can not connect 2 or more Vitas simultaneously.

Hope this is at least somewhat useful!

Hiddelgreyk:

Sorry, nope. I have tried that, particularly with Injustice and it is a hoot.

This is about Using a PS4 controller on a PC and playing PS4 games on your PC.

EDIT: https://www.playstation.com/en-ae/explore/ps4/features/remote-play/

I did try it, it did not work particularly well. Better than the PS TV thing I paid $100 for a few years back. That thing was truly worthless but not good enough. Thanks for your post though. Sorry for the lateness of this reply.

Gorfias:

Hiddelgreyk:

Sorry, nope. I have tried that, particularly with Injustice and it is a hoot.

This is about Using a PS4 controller on a PC and playing PS4 games on your PC.

EDIT: https://www.playstation.com/en-ae/explore/ps4/features/remote-play/

I did try it, it did not work particularly well. Better than the PS TV thing I paid $100 for a few years back. That thing was truly worthless but not good enough. Thanks for your post though. Sorry for the lateness of this reply.

I use it all the time on my laptop to keep the TV free for my wife, and it works spectacularly on a wired connection, and usually quite well on WiFi. When wired, it works as if you are running the game natively, and with the latest PS4 firmware and Remote Play application on Windows you even have voice chat through your PC's audio input setup. It is awesome.

Deadguy2322:

I use it all the time on my laptop to keep the TV free for my wife, and it works spectacularly on a wired connection, and usually quite well on WiFi. When wired, it works as if you are running the game natively, and with the latest PS4 firmware and Remote Play application on Windows you even have voice chat through your PC?s audio input setup. It is awesome.

Thanks, I'll have to give it another try. Sadly, my router is on another floor of my home. I'm not going to be able to do this hard wired (though I am considering buying one of the $250-300 routers. Might help.) image

I've tried it on my phone. Not bad, but also not something I would do even if the holy convergence of my PS4 being on and connected to the interent, being bored enough to attempt this, and having my PS4 controller with me for some reason.

I have tried it on my computer but it never works for some reason.

I've tried it on my gaming PC with pretty decent internet with the PS4 in the same room as the PC and it cannot hold connection for more than a few seconds even during off hours. I got like one session out of it at midnight once. Shame cuz my TV i'm playing the PS4 on is freaking ancient so everything looks much worse than anything on my monitor. I'd love to play Bloodborne at a good resolution but hey, consoles continue to disappoint post PS2/PS3 era. Nothing new unfortunately.

yes i am using...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here