Overwatch comic gets censored in russa

So we have some old fashion censorship going on here. Reflections the new overwatch comic that revealed tracer's girlfriend can't be released in Russia because they have a law that doesn't allow gay propaganda to be distributed to minors.

What do people think about this?

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-comic-banned-in-russia-over-gay-propaganda-la-1790343967

They see Vlad rollin', SJW's hatin'.

No, but for real, this is just another reminder that Russia as of right now is not a good place to be and that Putin is not a benevolent, enlightened ruler. Putin is an autocrat and he's shaping Russia into a conservative, ultranationalist country, we should all be worried about the implications of that.

Figures, as they pretty much label anything that contains anything related to LGBT and is aimed at people younger than 18 as propaganda. FIFA 17 has been labeled as gay propaganda for having rainbow coloured shirts, hasn't it?

In any case, Gethsemani eloquently said what I wanted to say.

(On a similar note, it makes me so happy to see 17-year-old champion figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva fangirling over Yuri!!! on Ice. It's a sweet reminder that as backwards as Russia might be right now, there is hope for the future.)

I wonder how many Russians use American VPNs to get around censorship, and how many use it for trivial things as entertainment.

nomotog:
So we have some old fashion censorship going on here. Reflections the new overwatch comic that revealed tracer's girlfriend can't be released in Russia because they have a law that doesn't allow gay propaganda to be distributed to minors.

What do people think about this?

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-comic-banned-in-russia-over-gay-propaganda-la-1790343967

I think the Russians need to ask themselves why they feel the need to censor "gay propaganda." Are they so insecure in their sexuality that they think a comic can turn them gay? Americans like me are very secure about our straightness, we don't need to worry about little drawings. Hell, I'm so straight I could suck 3, maybe 4 dicks and it wouldn't make me gay.
I'd like to see Putin suck a dick, he probably couldn't get through one without turning super gay.

This is why censorship is terrible. Sometimes it may be something you don't care about and sometimes it may be done through the power of money and not of the state but in general it is always wrong to prevent artists from fully expressing their vision, no matter what, for whatever reason, full stop.

If you ever used any justification for any such undue change of ones vision, and if you now feel agrieved about this event, you are logically inconsistent and need to do introspection and discover why you felt that just because a company was doing the same thing for money it felt less bad than a government which is basically a monarchy by this point (which has way higher approval ratings by its people than our democratic leaders) doing it for its own gain which can be described in monetary terms as well.

Either try to protect all art from this or accept that you are protecting nothing.

And now we wait to hear from the "SJWs censorin' muh games" crowd, for surely they are opposed to censorship in all forms.

Any minute now.

McMarbles:
And now we wait to hear from the "SJWs censorin' muh games" crowd, for surely they are opposed to censorship in all forms.

Any minute now.

What for, to virtue signal on The Escapist about something they have no control over? I'd think a Russian forum of some kind would be a more appropriate site for a discussion that actually mattered at all.

I'll say this about the subject, though. I'm not Russian, but my understanding of the law in question is that homosexual content is not outright banned, just restricted to 18+. Suggesting that it might in fact be Blizzard (or Activision) choosing not to release this content there, so as not to risk raising the local rating for the game itself and shutting down the flow of those under-18 bux. Which of course makes all kinds of commercial sense, but also places a part of the blame for compromising the "artistic vision" on them.

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

I don't bother limiting my scope to SJWs but you did see my post that is rigt above yours, right?

And yes, I am opposed, and I have no issues Tracer is a lesbian either btw, yuri is cool.

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

Well, I mean, if you insist...

Here's my opinion on the entire subject of "Tracer is gay".

As far as this Russian ban goes... it's so far beyond my conception of ridiculous there's no words I could possibly describe it with.

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

no no, u see

theyll just justify it through capitalism, and then say that sjws are just as bad if not worse because asking for diversity is censoring poor artists who already cant make what they want because of capitalism

u cant just ignore it u gotta turn it around

It's stupid and short-sighted, but that's Putin's Russia for you.

Still, there's no games media or SJWs to blame, so it's only going to get about as much play as the Aussie government getting ban happy.

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

Perhaps that crowd isn't as interested in virtue signalling as your circles? Why else condemn what is so obviously a censorious (anti-)dick move?

Fallow:

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

Perhaps that crowd isn't as interested in virtue signalling as your circles? Why else condemn what is so obviously a censorious (anti-)dick move?

Did you just virtue signal well complaining about virtue signaling. :P

nomotog:

Fallow:

McMarbles:

Any minute now.

You would have to be pretty far out on the gradient to consider "not-against homosexuality" virtue signalling. Perhaps this would count in Russia or North Korea, but not in the civilized world.

Fallow:

nomotog:

Fallow:

You would have to be pretty far out on the gradient to consider "not-against homosexuality" virtue signalling. Perhaps this would count in Russia or North Korea, but not in the civilized world.

No no. Being against virtue signaling is the virtue signaling I was talking about.

Gethsemani:

No, but for real, this is just another reminder that Russia as of right now is not a good place to be and that Putin is not a benevolent, enlightened ruler.

What on Earth could you be talking about? I heard on Russia Today that he's objectively the best person in the world!

renegade7:

Gethsemani:

No, but for real, this is just another reminder that Russia as of right now is not a good place to be and that Putin is not a benevolent, enlightened ruler.

What on Earth could you be talking about? I heard on Russia Today that he's objectively the best person in the world!

russia is so great that everyone who doesnt think its great mysteriously disappears

renegade7:

Gethsemani:

I just read the same thing on Sputnik News and some random comment in an obscure blog post about NATO verified it. Guess I was wrong.

Well, this is bound to put the GateKeepers in a pickle, as they constantly tell me how much more moral and "based" Russia is, and how they will win the culture war against SJW America.

Smithnikov:
Well, this is bound to put the GateKeepers in a pickle, as they constantly tell me how much more moral and "based" Russia is, and how they will win the culture war against SJW America.

Ah, yes, but you see, they're censoring the SJWs here by banning the Gay Agenda from leaking in through these lesbians (though, let's be honest, that was totally not a romantic kiss, they're really just friends), thus striking a critical blow against the liberal-cucks of America and their desperate need to force diversity into our games and pander to a non-buying audience!!

...I'd say that jokingly, but that was pretty much a paraphrase of some comments I've seen floating around on this. Also might have thrown up in my mouth a little after typing the word 'cuck'. God dammit, I feel like I need a shower now.

Wrex Brogan:

Smithnikov:

Ah, yes, but you see, they're censoring the SJWs here by banning the Gay Agenda from leaking in through these lesbians (though, let's be honest, that was totally not a romantic kiss, they're really just friends), thus striking a critical blow against the liberal-cucks of America and their desperate need to force diversity into our games and pander to a non-buying audience!!

...I'd say that jokingly, but that was pretty much a paraphrase of some comments I've seen floating around on this. Also might have thrown up in my mouth a little after typing the word 'cuck'. God dammit, I feel like I need a shower now.

You get used to it reading the Gatekeeper's posts, give it time.

Also, as the Gatekeeper's knight champion Milo assures us, there are no such thing as lesbians anyway.

Smithnikov:

...I'm sorry, what?

I mean, unless by "GateKeepers" you mean someone other than us evil GooberGators... could you point me to a single topic here, on KiA or /gamergatehq/ where "gatekeepers" are going on about Russia being "moral" and "based" (particularly over the Russian government's idiotic stances on gay people)?

Because I sure as hell must have missed it.

Ogoid:

Smithnikov:

...I'm sorry, what?

I mean, unless by "GateKeepers" you mean someone other than us evil GooberGators... could you point me to a single topic here, on KiA or /gamergatehq/ where "gatekeepers" are going on about Russia being "moral" and "based" (particularly over the Russian government's idiotic stances on gay people)?

Because I sure as hell must have missed it.

Oh no, I certainly mean GamerGaters. It's my own term for them.

http://8ch.net/pol/res/8527399.html

More on a racial lines, but there it is. I've got bayonets braced for you complaining that it's /pol/, don't worry.

Still looking through HQ, and though Russia's come with some hits, only one's showing up. I hate the catalog system sometimes.

Smithnikov:

More on a racial lines, but there it is. I've got bayonets braced for you complaining that it's /pol/, don't worry.

Still looking through HQ, and though Russia's come with some hits, only one's showing up. I hate the catalog system sometimes.

Well, I'd think complaining about it being /pol/ would probably be warranted, considering it's not a GamerGate-specific board and the chans are by default anonymous, which means the user overlap between it and /gamergatehq/ could be anywhere from "total" to "none whatsoever". For my part, I don't browse /pol/. I don't share any of their beliefs that I'm aware of, most assuredly not this one in particular; and in the absence of evidence to the contrary (plus my own experience with the boards I mentioned), I'd be most comfortable going out on a limb and claiming most GateKeepers probably don't either.

Ogoid:

Smithnikov:

Well, I'd think complaining about it being /pol/ would probably be warranted, considering it's not a GamerGate-specific board and the chans are by default anonymous, which means the user overlap between it and /gamergatehq/ could be anywhere from "total" to "none whatsoever". For my part, I don't browse /pol/. I don't share any of their beliefs that I'm aware of, most assuredly not this one in particular; and in the absence of evidence to the contrary (plus my own experience with the boards I mentioned), I'd be most comfortable going out on a limb and claiming most GateKeepers probably don't either.

I though GG were the only people to use 8 chan after being kicked out of 4 chan.

nomotog:

Fallow:

nomotog:

No no. Being against virtue signaling is the virtue signaling I was talking about.

Then you are free to pretend I'm going about in whichever way avoids that conundrum.

nomotog:
I though GG were the only people to use 8 chan after being kicked out of 4 chan.

I've no doubt the people who left 4chan for any of several reasons, GG included, are a significant part of its traffic, but I frankly doubt they - we - are its only userbase, and I very much doubt said userbase is a significantly if at all homogeneous group.

Personally speaking, I didn't even leave it over Gamergate per se, I mostly browsed /co/ and /vr/; it was a thread on the former getting deleted for no good reason (other than possibly the mods disliking the way the discussion was going) that made me walk.

I've no problem associating with the people I see posting on the boards I mentioned, on 8chan and reddit, in no small part because I've yet to see them - unlike /pol/, apparently - say anything resembling such ridiculous nonsense as the Russian government being "based" because of their apparent belief that mass media can have an effect on people's sexuality.

I think Russia banning a gay Tracer is the least of that countries problems right now.

TBH This is exactly the reason they revealed her sexuality in a comic. Some countries are bound to react like that but at least they're just banning a short story comic and not the whole game (so far).

So I kinda doubt we'll be seeing much references in LGBT stuff in the game proper.

Lieju:
TBH This is exactly the reason they revealed her sexuality in a comic. Some countries are bound to react like that but at least they're just banning a short story comic and not the whole game (so far).

So I kinda doubt we'll be seeing much references in LGBT stuff in the game proper.

It's not sustainable to tight rope like that. If tracer is out in the comics, people will demand she be out in the game. People are already pushing for a "I'm gay out of my way" voice line for here. It's a meme thing I think? Even if they don't put any gay in the game, weird way to say it but moving on, they can still run into trouble because the law is intentionally subjective and vague.

Lieju:

Shame they have to self censor for fear of triggering conservatives

This Russia is not the Russia one would consider democratic or even civilized.

Thus is Putin's Russia.

A Russia where enemies are always at the gate and the only way to protect the fatherland is by raping the motherlands of other nations.

I pity this Russia, it is falling back into the taint of the USSR.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here