Should Gaming's primary audience be children and young kids?

Pages PREV 1 2

Metalix Knightmare:

runic knight:

Ah, who am I kidding, if they are going for clones, I suspect multiple new venom spawn in the future.

I actually wouldn't mind that too much. I'm probably the only person who actually liked the Symbiotes.

I loved venom and even liked carnage's idea, especially early on in the run. They worked well as villians, venom worked well for both spidy's arc, and later for brock's growth and change into an antihero, while carnage worked well as representing the unpredictability and horribleness of insanity and violence. Still, both worked well and reflected aspects of each other and spidy and had a sort of trinity of affecting one another. Then you get the massive influx of them like toxic or blight(I think, been a long time since I read those comics, but they all had names like that) and the lack of creativity shines through. Where venom had a history with spidy and his new host did as well, and even carnage represented just random chaos and violence of what happens if great power was bestowed upon violent psycopath, the rest really just felt like fanfiction took over the plot for a while there. I somehow doubt returning to that well would result in anything good.

Well, we're all adults on this forum. You have to be 18+ to sign up, right? I don't imagine anybody going "Yes, gaming should only be for kids. What am I even doing here?" then signing off forever.

PS - You can do so much better than Robert Chipman.

Yes, gaming should be aimed at kids only. as should comics, anime, TV, movies, sports. Adults shoud get NOTHING.

On topic... There seems to have been an unfortunate trend as gamings gotten more popular (and expensive to develop for) that there are rules on how all IP's should cater to a certain market.
I think gaming is too big to die, but as long as this mentality exisits, it will become stagnent.
That said, games like Splatoon and Overwatch show you can have fun while having fun, so maybe this is starting to turn around, as I couldn't imagine these titles being made a decade ago.

Mr Ink 5000:
Yes, gaming should be aimed at kids only. as should comics, anime, TV, movies, sports. Adults shoud get NOTHING.

Your post is neck-deep in sarcasm but yes, primary audience for most entertainment medium should be kids and I say that as an adult that LOVES all those things you mentioned.

That is not to say that there should not be games that cater to adults too but games are still toys and I do think the industry, to ensure that it will remain viable in the future, should build most of those toys with the enjoyment of kids in mind.

jademunky:

Mr Ink 5000:

Your post is neck-deep in sarcasm but yes, primary audience for most entertainment medium should be kids and I say that as an adult that LOVES all those things you mentioned.

That is not to say that there should not be games that cater to adults too but games are still toys and I do think the industry, to ensure that it will remain viable in the future, should build most of those toys with the enjoyment of kids in mind.

Games are not toys, and there is nothing about them that makes them something "intended" for children.

inmunitas:

Games are not toys, and there is nothing about them that makes them something "intended" for children.

How are they not toys? Tabletop miniatures are toys, playing cards are toys, a hockey stick is a toy.

Lets not be insecure about this, I love toys and am not saying that adults cannot enjoy them or that people cannot develop games that are just for adults, I'm glad they do. I do understand that as an adult, I do not play nearly as many games as I did as a kid just due to a lack of time to do so. For that reason I do not buy as many games even though my disposable income has obviously gone way up. I think my situation matches a lot of people my age.

When I say that I agree with gaming's primary audience being children, I mean that it makes sense to cater to people for whom having fun and playing games with friends is something they plan nearly every free moment around rather than something one does once in a while.

jademunky:

inmunitas:

How are they not toys? Tabletop miniatures are toys, playing cards are toys, a hockey stick is a toy.

A toy is an object intended to be played with by children. A game is a type of activity. Poker, hockey, tag, badminton, fetch, and football are examples of games. You can say a hockey stick designed to be played with by a child is a toy, but a hockey stick is not a game.

Uhh...no. Gaming is an entertainment medium, for everyone. No one age group should get everything, otherwise the other age groups end up regarding it with scorn. And that's how you end up with the FOX News War on Videogames.

jademunky:

Mr Ink 5000:

So you're saying a shift in target audience rather than a full all or nothing

Mr Ink 5000:

Sorry bout the late reply.

Yeah I think developers should, as a general rule-of-thumb, aim for increased accessibility when possible. Not just with mechanics but ask themselves things like "do the topless hookers add anything to the game?" etc.

They should simply make the game they want for the target audience they want. There is no other option as far as I'm concerned.

jademunky:

Mr Ink 5000:

Sorry bout the late reply.

Yeah I think developers should, as a general rule-of-thumb, aim for increased accessibility when possible. Not just with mechanics but ask themselves things like "do the topless hookers add anything to the game?" etc.

It does feel like 95% of games were created by Cannon films. Don't get me wrong, I love what they did in the 80's/90's, but variety is needed.

Games should be made for all audiences children, teens and adults. There should be games focused on children and the older crowd can enjoy them as well. But games should never "primarily focus on kids", that would be the end of it all.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here