Can we bury gamergate yet?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Derekloffin:
In a certain sense the GG cry of ethics in journalism has actually gotten broader with this whole "Fake News!" spree we're having, it is just no longer flying the GG banner. You even see the same arguments from both sides.

This is true.

I see the same talking points popping up again, I see the same unexplained difficulty that some people seem to have in telling the difference between editorials and news pieces, and I even see people who straight-facely claim to be anti-censorship but at the same time want certain news media outlets to shut up and fuck off.

I guess this might explain why GG has mostly died; because the die-hard GG supporters have bigger fish to fry these days.

StatusNil:

That hasn't been my experience, more like they were disgusted by how the mainstream media they used to trust to some degree at least was so quick to join the Narrative peddled by the gaming hacks.

And they showed it by joining OTHER hacks? TO excuse other even more blatant hacks like the NRA?

And that of course was how they came to be called "alt-right" by that same media.

And it had nothing to do with using memes, insults, and rhetoric straight out of /pol/, right?

You're not allowed to disrespect the self-appointed script editors of Reality itself by filthy peasant doubt without a nasty label branded on you.

Like SJW.

Oh wait, that's a nasty label that GG loved to dole out....

I still find it odd how people try to counter criticism of said Narrative peddlers with "Bu-but what about teh FOX NOOSE?!" as if most people involved ever cared about their brand of Message Discipline. Nobody expects accuracy from them, whereas many of us mistakenly did expect it from the formerly respectable news outlets.

Maybe some of us tossed it because they seemed to be immune from your wrath, along with the NRA, Micheal Savage, Rebel Media, ect...

Smithnikov:
Then again, Smaug the Golden still came out and the results weren't pleasant...

Do us anti GamerGaters need to keep the black arrows on hand?

You're thinking of the Lonely Mountain. The Misty Mountains are where Goblin Town and Gollum were hiding out. #nerdcred

BeetleManiac:

Smithnikov:
Then again, Smaug the Golden still came out and the results weren't pleasant...

Do us anti GamerGaters need to keep the black arrows on hand?

You're thinking of the Lonely Mountain. The Misty Mountains are where Goblin Town and Gollum were hiding out. #nerdcred

*Bow* Well spotted, good sir. You have indeed earned cred points.

Besides, for all the talk of the "mainstream media" taking sides, what other aspect of the story were they going to report on besides that women were harassed? Even I, who has been pointing out since around '07 that there were serious problems in what passed for game journalism (though probably not the same problems that GG would have emphasized) felt that the harassment was 99% of the story.

I was a part of it for about 5 minutes. Once the disclosure thing happened I backed out. Even then all I did was make three tweets with one thanking a soldier for their service. Never wished harm on them. Still like the work of people like the Burches and Sterling. Never posterd in KiA and never plan to(though that whole thing where you're banned for posting in there, even if it is to counter someones argument.

jademunky:
Besides, for all the talk of the "mainstream media" taking sides, what other aspect of the story were they going to report on besides that women were harassed? Even I, who has been pointing out since around '07 that there were serious problems in what passed for game journalism (though probably not the same problems that GG would have emphasized) felt that the harassment was 99% of the story.

Not of the GamerGate story. That was (and remains) a journalism scandal and a grassroots protest about it.

Funny thing, some goony beardoes just published some research about the hashtag. Turns out it's hard to recognize a "hate movement" in action because it doesn't distinguish itself from average baseline behavior by behaving in a manner substantially deviating from the average baseline. If it wasn't for the headlines, no one would have known!

StatusNil:
Not of the GamerGate story. That was (and remains) a journalism scandal and a grassroots protest about it.

Dude, the narrative is out of your control. You already lost that fight and repeating the same tactics ad nauseum is not going to magically change anyone's minds.

This was a problem I saw from the start. GGers lost control of the narrative early, among other reasons due to their staunch refusal to organize or generate a mission statement and ever since then they appear to have given up trying to sell themselves on the merits of their arguments. They just shit on the press in an attempt to makes themselves sound like a viable alternative.

StatusNil:

Funny thing, some goony beardoes just published some research about the hashtag. Turns out it's hard to recognize a "hate movement" in action because it doesn't distinguish itself from average baseline behavior by behaving in a manner substantially deviating from the average baseline. If it wasn't for the headlines, no one would have known!

I did not say (or mean to imply) that it was entirely a hate movement. Part of the whole "Gamergate" story was, however, the fact that several women received a giant amount of death threats. To most people, it seems insane to see the alleged violations of journalistic ethics as the part of the story to be outraged over.

Giant, FBI investigated death threats. Dozens of harassment calls a day, bomb threats, attempted bank fraud, doxed information being spread so quickly that Reddit needed a blanket ban to contain it, and a movement toxic enough it got kicked off of freaking 4chan, home of /pol/...

Or, news outlets could report about the indie game that might've gotten too much free press, who's developer cheated on her ex-boyfriend, according to the ex-boyfriend.

Yeah, I know which one of the two angles I'd be reporting on.

altnameJag:
Giant, FBI investigated death threats. Dozens of harassment calls a day, bomb threats, attempted bank fraud, doxed information being spread so quickly that Reddit needed a blanket ban to contain it, and a movement toxic enough it got kicked off of freaking 4chan, home of /pol/...

Or, news outlets could report about the indie game that might've gotten too much free press, who's developer cheated on her ex-boyfriend, according to the ex-boyfriend.

Yeah, I know which one of the two angles I'd be reporting on.

And you no doubt know what I in turn would think of your reporting.

I still need a thorough read through the entire report, but it is my understanding that the findings were paltry indeed, even if the FBI investigated the alleged harassment of individuals who all had a history of claiming such harassment well before the "GamerGate" scandal and the protests occurred. Such as one kid (as in "legally a minor") making a few dozen nasty phone calls, out of something that involved hundreds of thousands of people at the very least. The Anita Sarkeesian "bomb threat" was that of "over 9000" bombs by a someone calling themself "winged faggot extraordinary", and misspelled GamerGate, while the more serious-looking shooting threat at the same event never mentioned such a thing at all. And on and on... including an Internet forum so toxic (Something Awful) that "GamerGate" was completely banned repeatedly coming up as a named source of whatever coordinated abuse may have taken place.

In other words, there was an event that generated noise, and noisy environments attract those who take advantage, such as trolls and self-promoters who make a profession out of "victimhood". But that is no excuse for a reporter to twist the meaning and character of the event itself in order to fit it into a Master Narrative they are peddling. If the media doesn't find the petty Stalinist soap opera that was the actual story of Muh Gamejournoz compelling enough to sell to their audience, that's one thing. To publish sensationalist genre fictions in the guise of reportage is quite another level of prostitution. And every professional who doesn't have their ethical compass permanently stuck pointing at the Pravda ought to be able to tell.

StatusNil:

For all your talk of snowflakes and professional victims and easily offended leftists, you sure are fragile.

I still need a thorough read through the entire report

You admit that you don't have an informed opinion, then write 2 paragraphs repeating years-old talking points that everyone stopped listening to a long time ago. Has it occurred to you that this approach just plain doesn't work? Have you ever won a convert doing this? Pics or it didn't happen.

BeetleManiac:

StatusNil:

For all your talk of snowflakes and professional victims and easily offended leftists, you sure are fragile.

I still need a thorough read through the entire report

You admit that you don't have an informed opinion, then write 2 paragraphs repeating years-old talking points that everyone stopped listening to a long time ago. Has it occurred to you that this approach just plain doesn't work? Have you ever won a convert doing this? Pics or it didn't happen.

This is from the sort of person who can say "who cares if these professional victims were getting dozens of phone calls a day telling them how terrible they are, including calls to their parents, plus bomb threats and attempts of fraudulent bank activity, they were complaining about getting that before GG, so that means GG didn't do anything wrong" as some sort of counter argument.

Because it's not like the campaigns shared rhetoric or anything.

altnameJag:
This is from the sort of person who can say "who cares if these professional victims were getting dozens of phone calls a day telling them how terrible they are, including calls to their parents, plus bomb threats and attempts of fraudulent bank activity, they were complaining about getting that before GG, so that means GG didn't do anything wrong" as some sort of counter argument.

Because it's not like the campaigns shared rhetoric or anything.

Oh please.

If someone gets dozens of harassing phone calls (in total, not daily), that is clearly wrong and ought to be stopped, by (say) finding the misbehaving child responsible and making them stop. But what "sort of person" would think it's somehow OK to generalize this as the principal activity of hundreds of thousands of (presumably mostly) adults who never made any such calls just to sell a story? Legit question.

Bomb threats? The one bomb threat in this saga that resulted in actual evacuation was made against a meeting of the much maligned protesters. Fraudulent bank activity? Yeah, that happens sometimes to people. So does stair muffin displacement. And what, pray, is this nonsense about "campaigns sharing rhetoric"? What other "campaign" are we talking about, Zoe Quinn's habit of picking fights on various forums or what?

StatusNil:
*snip*

Go back to reading the FBI report, this post will still be here.

Regarding the FBI report... I quite honestly don't have the patience to go through over 100 pages of such mind-numbingly dry reading, but if they found out actual evidence of Gamergate being this unspeakably evil hate group, this shadowy cabal with enough clout to win US presidential elections that supposedly professional journalists have been trying to scare children with for a couple of years now, surely - surely - there must've been quite a lot of criminal charges resulting from it, right?

Right?

Ogoid:
Regarding the FBI report... I quite honestly don't have the patience to go through over 100 pages of such mind-numbingly dry reading, but if they found out actual evidence of Gamergate being this unspeakably evil hate group, this shadowy cabal with enough clout to win US presidential elections that supposedly professional journalists have been trying to scare children with for a couple of years now, surely - surely - there must've been quite a lot of criminal charges resulting from it, right?

Right?

And the media would have been all too eager to report on said charges.

Instead, silence.

They know their narrative is bullshit, and that it's failing. But they can't just abandon it, so they try to tie everything they don't like to #GamerGate in hopes that normies eat it up.

And the fucking sheep always do.

Ogoid:
Regarding the FBI report... I quite honestly don't have the patience to go through over 100 pages of such mind-numbingly dry reading,

Then don't voice an opinion on it because doing so would make you look stupid. It's easy.

Ogoid:

Right?

Wait...Wasn't the "affected the US election" thing created by a gg supporter touting the influence of gg? Seems like a weird thing to fixate on as some es jay dubbayou conspiracy theory against gg

Also I love the embellish you added to deflect away from the simple idea that gg, over the course of its life, sent numerous death threats and harassment

Becuase thats a stretch obv

BeetleManiac:

Then don't voice an opinion on it because doing so would make you look stupid.

Noted. I'll carry on not voicing any opinions on it, as I've done so far.

But if you happen to be more informed on the topic, though, could you tell me for my edification whether there was a significant number of criminal prosecutions resulting from it?

undeadsuitor:

Wait...Wasn't the "affected the US election" thing created by a gg supporter touting the influence of gg? Seems like a weird thing to fixate on as some es jay dubbayou conspiracy theory against gg

Also I love the embellish you added to deflect away from the simple idea that gg, over the course of its life, sent numerous death threats and harassment

Becuase thats a stretch obv

You should lurk KiA for a while; there's a "Gamergate is literally responsible for Trump!" article from some respectable news outlet or other every other day. There were also quite a few "PewDiePie is literally Alt-Right (and therefore literally Trump! And Gamergate!)" that were all the rage for a couple of weeks now.

Unless, of course, GG is so gosh darned influential that it's taken over the media, and putting out as many idiotic "think" pieces and articles trying to link it to anything from Neo-Nazis to Russia to Donald Trump is its way of completely discrediting it.

...And you know, now that I've typed that out, I almost wish that was the case. The alternative - that they actually believe the idiocy they constantly spew - is far more disturbing.

And if there have been these numerous death threats, then surely there must be some actual evidence of their existence somewhere? Here, I know, these lovely folks published a study on GamerGate's Twitter habits, and they were obviously going into it with nary a hint of bias, as you can see from its title alone. That should be enough to get one willing to look into it started.

American Tanker:

Ogoid:

Right?

And the media would have been all too eager to report on said charges.

Instead, silence.

They know their narrative is bullshit, and that it's failing. But they can't just abandon it, so they try to tie everything they don't like to #GamerGate in hopes that normies eat it up.

And the fucking sheep always do.

That's weird. I have heard nothing about gg from the media for a long time. And I'm not the only one (otherwise this thread wouldn't exist).

Ogoid:
But if you happen to be more informed on the topic, though, could you tell me for my edification whether there was a significant number of criminal prosecutions resulting from it?

I don't recall the exact number, though I do believe it was fewer than the number of prosecutions that resulted from the Nerd Riots of 2001 after Fellowship of the Ring got snubbed at the Oscars. That was a dark day for us all that sent Mundane/Nerd relations back almost a decade.

undeadsuitor:

I'd like to once again, point to my question on the previous page.

What separates this from all the other times people on the internet decided to make themselves the arbiters of morality?

Ogoid:

Right?

Turns out, calling someone dozens of times a day to tell them how terrible they are isn't necessarily a crime, nor is calling their parents or distributing their phone number across the internet to people who hate them.

It's an extraordinarily shitty thing to do, but not actually criminal unless they're also provably threatening, and even then you'd need agents that give a shit. Past that, turns out VPNs and proxies take non-trivial resources to get past, so unsuccessful bank fraud attempts and unattempted shooting threats aren't very high in the queue to get resources thrown at them.

But of course, because nobody got charged with crimes means all of this was perfectly okay and not a problem in the slightest, right?

So to sum up the Gamergate controversy, an army of misogynist gamers numbering at least 78,000 (based on KIA subscribers) spent two years on an evil campaign to harass all female games developers out of the industry, and only managed to target 3 people, two of whom were being harassed before Gamergate even started, and one of them isn't even a games developer. The other two have had no actual professional success in the industry, so God knows why anybody would want to drive them out of the industry, unless it was for their own good. All three though have benefited both financially and in terms of recognition from the entire fiasco. Nobody has been arrested or charged, and there has been no actual real world violence (unless you count the riots occurring at Milo's college tour).

The whole narrative is bollocks, isn't it? It doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Breakdown:
The whole narrative is bollocks, isn't it? It doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Maybe I just spend too much time on One Angry Gamer, but I fully agree with this assessment.

Breakdown:
So to sum up the Gamergate controversy, an army of misogynist gamers numbering at least 78,000 (based on KIA subscribers) spent two years on an evil campaign to harass all female games developers out of the industry, and only managed to target 3 people, two of whom were being harassed before Gamergate even started, and one of them isn't even a games developer. The other two have had no actual professional success in the industry, so God knows why anybody would want to drive them out of the industry, unless it was for their own good. All three though have benefited both financially and in terms of recognition from the entire fiasco. Nobody has been arrested or charged, and there has been no actual real world violence (unless you count the riots occurring at Milo's college tour).

You'd be right if there wasn't a 1,500-page GamerGate megathread on this forum, with 55,882 posts at last check, in which many GamerGate members acted as if the three aforementioned females (and others) were ruining the video game industry and representing a literal threat to their way of life.

But there is. So you're not.

Breakdown:

That strawman is so big, Nicholas cage is being stung to death by bees in it.

May I propose an alternate? *AHEM mi mi mi mi*

A couple of clickbaity articles were posted, outrage ensued. A youtube video maker with earrings so large I could play basketball with them began to put out some boring, feminist flavored rheotric along with an allegiance of left wing politick'd gamer talking heads reacted exceedingly badly and began slapping vile labels on the outraged. A website of dedicated white supremacists, actual misogynists, and Catholic nationalists who'd long groused about such people refined some rhetoric, rallied another board to their aid, and saw their chance to break into the big time now that a familiar demographic was getting grief. Their takeover is so successful, that now the previous enemies of overly greedy and screwjob happy AAA corporate hacks who wouldn't know the gaming crowd if it walked up to them and hit them with a minecraft plushie were replaced with anyone who had a semblance of left wing politics regarding any issue (including immigration and common core education), the entire female gender (see GG article "How women have destroyed gaming") and as always, the Jews. Efforts to point out this hijacking are met with being labeled an SJW, outright denial (Even when shown pictures of people like Matt Forney raising a glass with Based Mom and their favorite paladin, Milo) "tone police" or "virtue signaling" to those who attempt. The whole thing develops into simply another right vs left pig shit slinging contest, no cause is truly advanced aside from galvanizing a good chunk of the gaming world into solid Republican, if not alt-right, voters, and the gaming community ends up more polarized and at each other's throats while the scam artists keep raking in the jake.

Exley97:

Breakdown:

You'd be right if there wasn't a 1,500-page GamerGate megathread on this forum, with 55,882 posts at last check, in which many GamerGate members acted as if the three aforementioned females (and others) were ruining the video game industry and representing a literal threat to their way of life.

Most of those posts in that thread were either people picking arguments or insulting the Gamergate supporters, or Gamergate supporters responding in kind. I mean, you posted there often enough. I don't really understand how this matters anyway, unless you think that criticising a public figure on a forum is tantamount to harassment.

Breakdown:
Most of those posts in that thread were either people picking arguments or insulting the Gamergate supporters, or Gamergate supporters responding in kind. I mean, you posted there often enough. I don't really understand how this matters anyway, unless you think that criticizing a public figure on a forum is tantamount to harassment.

That's the thing with types like you're quoting: To them, any form of dissent or disagreement is effectively a declaration of war.

Smithnikov:

Breakdown:

That strawman is so big, Nicholas cage is being stung to death by bees in it.

May I propose an alternate? *AHEM mi mi mi mi*

A couple of clickbaity articles were posted, outrage ensued. A youtube video maker with earrings so large I could play basketball with them began to put out some boring, feminist flavored rheotric along with an allegiance of left wing politick'd gamer talking heads reacted exceedingly badly and began slapping vile labels on the outraged. A website of dedicated white supremacists, actual misogynists, and Catholic nationalists who'd long groused about such people refined some rhetoric, rallied another board to their aid, and saw their chance to break into the big time now that a familiar demographic was getting grief. Their takeover is so successful, that now the previous enemies of overly greedy and screwjob happy AAA corporate hacks who wouldn't know the gaming crowd if it walked up to them and hit them with a minecraft plushie were replaced with anyone who had a semblance of left wing politics regarding any issue (including immigration and common core education), the entire female gender (see GG article "How women have destroyed gaming") and as always, the Jews. Efforts to point out this hijacking are met with being labeled an SJW, outright denial (Even when shown pictures of people like Matt Forney raising a glass with Based Mom and their favorite paladin, Milo) "tone police" or "virtue signaling" to those who attempt. The whole thing develops into simply another right vs left pig shit slinging contest, no cause is truly advanced aside from galvanizing a good chunk of the gaming world into solid Republican, if not alt-right, voters, and the gaming community ends up more polarized and at each other's throats while the scam artists keep raking in the jake.

I don't see how my post was a strawman argument. I just used the standard definition of Gamergate as a harassment campaign as used by wikipedia and most articles on the subject, along with the basic facts.

Breakdown:
I don't see how my post was a straw-man argument. I just used the standard definition of Gamergate as a harassment campaign as used by Wikipedia and most articles on the subject, along with the basic facts.

"Only an idiot believes the official story." -Joker

My only reason for being definitively anti-Gamergate at the time is that certain pro-Gamergate individuals here on the The Escapist were such ill-minded lunatics that defying them in every way possible just seemed like the right thing to do.

...it was alive to begin with?

Breakdown:

Exley97:

Breakdown:

Most of those posts in that thread were either people picking arguments or insulting the Gamergate supporters, or Gamergate supporters responding in kind.

Do you mean it was mostly "Anti-GGers" or non-supporters in that thread "picking arguments or insulting the GamerGate supporters"? Because if that's what you meant, then no. It wasn't. And there are more than 1,500 pages of evidence to show that is not the case.

Also, you're not really suggesting that Gamergate supporters NEVER insulted others first, and that they only responded in kind, are you?

Breakdown:
I mean, you posted there often enough. I don't really understand how this matters anyway, unless you think that criticising a public figure on a forum is tantamount to harassment.

1) I sure did post (and read) often.

2) No, I don't think criticizing public figures on a forum equals harassment. I think I've been pretty clear on that, as well as what people are entitled to say about public figures under the First Amendment as well as defamation law in the U.S., over the course of two-plus years here.

3) It matters because your previous post stated "the whole narrative is bollocks" and suggested that GG didn't really care about the aforementioned females (and others) and didn't want to drive them out of the industry. And I'm saying THAT assertion is bollocks.

YOU personally may not care about them, but there is plenty of evidence across that mega-thread and other GG-related threads that show GG supporters very much did care. And yes, some of those GGers did want those "SJWs" gone. There are plenty of posts with GGers losing their minds about Feminist Frequency becoming part of Common Core (it wasn't), or that Anita Sarkessian faked the threats against her (she didn't), or that Brianna Wu's "Brololz" pradoy Twitter account was a secret sock puppet smear campaign (it wasn't), or that Ben Kuchera accused Brad Wardell of rape (he didn't), or that Jonathan Mcintosh was rich because he owned camera and his dad lives on an island (LOL...). If they didn't care, they wouldn't have obssessed over half-truths, rumors, innuendo and outright conspiracy theories and used them fuel concern or full-on outrage among GGers.

But they did care. And some did want these people gone. In fact, just start with the last three or four pages of the mega-thread and look at how some supporters were celebrating because they though Ben Kuchera had been fired from Polygon...because he changed his twitter profile or some nonsense (he wasn't fired, obviously). Also note how I was accused of flame-baiting/thread derailing/arguing in bad faith by a prominent forum member and GG supporter because I asked for evidence that Kuchera had been fired and pushed back on the claim.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here