TotalBiscuit discussed G2A with Gearbox

After openly boycotting Gearbox for partnering with G2A for making the Full Clip Edition of Bulletstorm, TotalBiscuit was contacted by Gearbox staff to show some proof of his claims - and boy, did he... They then had a conference and Gearbox came with a set of terms for G2A in order for the partnership to go on.

Full statement and sources by TB: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spp1mm

The former in a video form, read by TB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cac0ACHux-Q

Something's finally being done about those crooks.

What did Gearbox do that every hates them again from the beginning? Something to do with the leading man?

And I thought TB stopped using Twitter?

Samtemdo8:
What did Gearbox do that every hates them again from the beginning? Something to do with the leading man?

It appears it's not Pitchford they're going for, but a company that practices credit card fraud on a level sufficient to sink small devs.

PainInTheAssInternet:

Samtemdo8:

It appears it's not Pitchford they're going for, but a company that practices credit card fraud on a level sufficient to sink small devs.

What did Randy Pitchford do again that earned everyone's ire?

Samtemdo8:

Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines. His behaviour between the two projects is strikingly similar.

Take a game with a troubled and incredibly delayed development cycle under the pretence he's a huge fan. This is believable as both franchises had considerable fanbases in the gaming community. He then spent the advertising campaign brazenly lying about the quality of the game; dramatically increasing the graphical fidelity, coming up with entire scenarios that weren't in the game but were far superior to the final product, assuring the audience that he is a huge fan just like them, making his personal enthusiasm that "this isn't just a game to us" a marketing strategy that ultimately was hollow.

Then the game drops and it's apparent how little effort went into it. Then we heard about how everything was outsourced so Gearbox could work on Borderlands. When Gearbox got the material back, they decided to shove it through bug testing and approval before shipping instead of trying to fix it to a meaningful degree.

It's not as if the general dislike and distrust of him was not hard-earned.

PainInTheAssInternet:

Samtemdo8:

Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines. His behaviour between the two projects is strikingly similar.

I am the only one who thought those games would be travesties. I mean Duke Nukem Forever I CAN get but again that game went through development hell and has been announced since 2001.

Alien Colonial Marines I called it because no movie licensed game is that good at all. But I am SHOCKED that people thought it was gonna be the shit and now they feel betrayed I mean seriously how can any of you guys fell for that game.. And seriously what's so special about Colonial Marines even if it was good, just another co op shooter with an Aliens skin.

I mean I thought the samething when No Man's Sky came out because everything that Sean Murrey guy said was just spouting nonsense.

Samtemdo8:
[

Alien Colonial Marines I called it because no movie licensed game is that good at all. But I am SHOCKED that people thought it was gonna be the shit and now they feel betrayed I mean seriously how can any of you guys fell for that game.. And seriously what's so special about Colonial Marines even if it was good, just another co op shooter with an Aliens skin.

Theres the infamous 'vertical slice' visual demo passed around some time before release, which showed much better graphics, atmosphere and AI than the released game, as well as content not in the final game. The demo showed the game Aliens fans dreamed of, and seemed to promise a truly authentic experience.

Pitchford himself seems to have hyped up and actively lied to people about how the demo represented the game (Jim Sterling has very specifically said 'Lied to my face' repeatedly.), and the fact what was being presented as a 'truly authentic Aliens experience' apparently didn't feature female multiplayer characters (in a franchise known for ripley and vasquez) until fans made a stink about it. (preorder multiplayer bonuses included skins for A Bunch Of Marines You Barely Remember From The Movie, but no Vasquez)

Samtemdo8:
Snip

I didn't care about Duke but I did care about Aliens. Considering how many games mercilessly rip off the franchise, I thought it would be great since it was in the hands of an enthusiastic fan. I didn't know until after Colonial Marines was released that he was in charge of Duke as well, at which point I realized the pattern.

Low expectations do not excuse his actions. That kind of attitude lets this stuff continue because it blames consumers for having faith in developers who we just have to accept as duplicitous.

PainInTheAssInternet:

^

Plokite_Wolf:
^

I know, I know. Just had to answer him comprehensively.

PainInTheAssInternet:
Low expectations do not excuse his actions. That kind of attitude lets this stuff continue because it blames consumers for having faith in developers who we just have to accept as duplicitous.

I've put Pitchford in the same corral as Molyneux; a developer who is passionate about their projects and its' possibilities to the point where they forget the realities of development and instead start talking about their visions of the project as if that is the game they'll be shipping. This is especially true if you watch the post-launch patching of AC:M, which got significant upgrades even when it was obvious that the game would never be remembered as anything but a bad-to-mediocre shooter that didn't even get close to living up to its' hype.

Gethsemani:

PainInTheAssInternet:

I've put Pitchford in the same corral as Molyneux; a developer who is passionate about their projects and its' possibilities to the point where they forget the realities of development and instead start talking about their visions of the project as if that is the game they'll be shipping. This is especially true if you watch the post-launch patching of AC:M, which got significant upgrades even when it was obvious that the game would never be remembered as anything but a bad-to-mediocre shooter that didn't even get close to living up to its' hype.

But at least Molyneux accepts that his games suck after they are released. Pitchford has been much more defensive against criticism, blamed marketing, mocked the reviewers and told people to let the market judge the game. It's ironic that the same market behind which he was hiding from criticism was the same that betrayed him when Battleborn tanked.

CaitSeith:
But at least Molyneux accepts that his games suck after they are released. Pitchford has been much more defensive against criticism, blamed marketing, mocked the reviewers and told people to let the market judge the game. It's ironic that the same market behind which he was hiding from criticism was the same that betrayed him when Battleborn tanked.

Which is why I once wished in the Ruin-A-Wish Foundation to, and I quote, "literally drink Randy Pitchford's tears." I smell blood in the water, and would love to torment him personally over Battleborn's failure; it's the only time I've ever felt that cruel towards anyone, and he has his own handling of Aliens to thank for it.

Samtemdo8:

Other than not make a single good game since their Half Life Expansion packs and constantly lieing to their customers? Oh, thats right, they partnered with credit card thieves.

Think people are kinda missing the point, it's not Gearbox being hated on, it's G2A. Gearbox is seemingly doing the right thing on this occasion.

Michel Henzel:
Think people are kinda missing the point, it's not Gearbox being hated on, it's G2A. Gearbox is seemingly doing the right thing on this occasion.

Samtemdo8 wasn't asking about this particular event, just Gearbox's reputation in general. (The worst of which is very much Randy Pitchford being a lying shit-bug.) Incidentally, I agree with Jim Sterling in that the deal never should have existed in the first place; but that G2A has been thrown under the bus probably wouldn't have happened any other way.

Michel Henzel:

Oh no -- I'm definitely hating on Gearbox. I'd expect a company like that to know better. First, why are they even partnering with ANY key reseller, let alone a company with G2A's reputation? Second, how in the world did they not know about G2A history? Third...didn't anyone with Gearbox take a hard look at the partnership agreement to see what G2A it entailed and how the business actually operates?

I suppose it's possible that all of this simply eluded the 350-plus people that worked at the company, and that no one -- literally, no one -- on staff knew anything or said anything about the key reseller market and G2A in general...but I find it highly unlikely.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here