Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is out!

After some 15 years, we finally get a continuation of the first game. Most people in the west likely have seen the very good anime based on that game if they even know of this series at all. My copy should be arriving tomorrow but I'm excited to talk about this game so if anyone has it in their hands atm feel free to post impressions!

For those going wtf and struggling to pronounce the name in the title (which translates to "the one who is sung about"), the game is an Srpg visual novel hybrid set in a world where everyone is some type of beastkin hybrid, with civilization levels at a slightly more primitive state than typical magic and swords medieval fare, and a distinct traditional Japanese flavor permeating throughout. Expect good story and characters being the focus here~

Very good anime based on the first game that is. The anime based on the second game was very mediocre, and I'm a bit bummed out for spoiling most of the story on it. But there will probably be more plot lines that weren't used there so now I'm dependant on shitty Israeli mail service to get the game.

If judging from the anime, we are now at China rather than Japan. With much grander locals and more complex internal and external politics.

I avoided the anime based on the second game just because of the spoilarz factor! Good to know it wasn't very good as well. The first one honestly was great and you wouldn't even know it was based on a game. I think I heard the anime ends differently and significantly worse than the game, though.

Dreiko:
I avoided the anime based on the second game just because of the spoilarz factor! Good to know it wasn't very good as well. The first one honestly was great and you wouldn't even know it was based on a game. I think I heard the anime ends differently and significantly worse than the game, though.

I haven't played the first game but I haven't heard of any huge difference that needed retconning, especially as it had a slight variation depending on the love interest. Unless you mean the anime based on the new game, which makes sense as they pretty much cut most of the battles from it.

I will likely pick it up at some point but wont be for a while yet. Hear we are also getting the third game (our second) this year as well.

Watched the anime on a whim ages ago and it was pretty fun let me know if Karura is in the game because if she is then I will definitely get it later, Such a great character in the anime.

Started the game, about 5 hours in. I am loving the story and chars so much already. The protagonist, voided by Keiji Fujiwara, is a surprising delight and thoroughly enjoyable. The heroine Kuon seems a hell of a lot more capable than you'd expect and with some secrets and stuff. One of her artworks in the art book reminded me of Elsie from The world god only knows and so I went in expecting some kind of dame useless cutesy girl but she's actually really cool and kind and has a mean streak to her too XD.

inu-kun:

Dreiko:

I haven't played the first game but I haven't heard of any huge difference that needed retconning, especially as it had a slight variation depending on the love interest. Unless you mean the anime based on the new game, which makes sense as they pretty much cut most of the battles from it.

Yeah talking about the recent anime based on mask of deception. The first anime didn't cut much.

Maximum Bert:
I will likely pick it up at some point but wont be for a while yet. Hear we are also getting the third game (our second) this year as well.

Watched the anime on a whim ages ago and it was pretty fun let me know if Karura is in the game because if she is then I will definitely get it later, Such a great character in the anime.

Karula is in, I saw her in the art book, apparently she's running an Inn with Touka. Also a grown up Aruru is apparently gonna show up too, I was beyond hype seeing her and her huge tiger/electric squirrel combo as she was one of my fav chars in the first game, I even bought her dlc in tears to tiara 2 lol.

The third game is apparently a direct sequel to this as opposed to a significant time skip like how this is compared to the first one and you kinda need to play both to get the full story from what I understand. Preorder bonus for the third one is a case where you can put em both and it's coming out in 4-5 months so it's not too far away but enough time to ensure people will have finished the first game by then.

Dreiko:
Started the game, about 5 hours in. I am loving the story and chars so much already. The protagonist, voided by Keiji Fujiwara, is a surprising delight and thoroughly enjoyable. The heroine Kuon seems a hell of a lot more capable than you'd expect and with some secrets and stuff. One of her artworks in the art book reminded me of Elsie from The world god only knows and so I went in expecting some kind of dame useless cutesy girl but she's actually really cool and kind and has a mean streak to her too XD.

inu-kun:

Dreiko:

Yeah talking about the recent anime based on mask of deception. The first anime didn't cut much.

Maximum Bert:

Karula is in, I saw her in the art book, apparently she's running an Inn with Touka. Also a grown up Aruru is apparently gonna show up too, I was beyond hype seeing her and her huge tiger/electric squirrel combo as she was one of my fav chars in the first game, I even bought her dlc in tears to tiara 2 lol.

The third game is apparently a direct sequel to this as opposed to a significant time skip like how this is compared to the first one and you kinda need to play both to get the full story from what I understand. Preorder bonus for the third one is a case where you can put em both and it's coming out in 4-5 months so it's not too far away but enough time to ensure people will have finished the first game by then.

Hell yeah, Kuon is god-level waifu. The protag is also pretty good, a lot less serious than the original game and has good bits (from the anime).

Why are you reading the artbook? I usually wait to finish the game to look at it out of fear from spoilers. I'll just say the reveal of both is awesome. And Touka is also god-level waifu and has an insanely funny ova.

I wasn't reading the artbook, just paging through it looking at the pretty images, I avoided most of the descriptions and stuff. 11 hours in and more new awesome chars keep showing up, including a girl with an Osaka accent. Can always use more of those.

Ooh...played the original like 5 years ago. Never watched the anime, but I really should.

Do remember the ending kinda being...way grim though. Like depressingly grim. And it just took a weird turn in general. Wasn't a fan.

But whatever! Catgirl and wing-eared waifus!

That one's a dog-girl but yeah, all sorts of animal ears from dogs to birds to cats. Also, this tail grabbing event happens in this game too, and was even more hilarious XD.

So, I finished the game! Wow was it an epic ending, and now I can't wait for the next one come September cause it really does end in a place in the story where, while it's satisfying, you can just imagine a whole metric ton of epic stuff coming after. Overall, I love all the characters in this game, top tier voice acting too. And my favorites from the first game all showed up reprising their roles, with the same VAs from over a decade ago to boot as well. Such a great game.

All in all it took me about 45 hours to finish the main story, it has some post game type battles I've not done yet so the value's definitely there. Now the question becomes how to pass the time until mask of truth is out lol.

It's awesome, shot up through the list of best VN's I've ever played and a good contender for the best. Which is strange since I already know how it will mostly end. I can definitely see what was the problem in the anime-it wasn't like the first game (speaking of which if the writing is even half as good as this it's a definite play), most of the early game is just talking and plot set up rather than an increasingly hard gauntlet of warlords (and they mostly cut the canon-waifu..), so the entire first half of it nothing happens and it has especially as hard times trying to justify how the main character can do something considering he's weaker than a child.

The chemistry between the characters is great. I especially like Haku-Kuon-Nekone triangle and Anju is a barrel of fun whenever see appears. I swear I haven't laughed so much a long time.

Also Ougi and Nosuri are great, the introduction scene of Nosuri as a "noble thief" is hilarious and Ougi is hysterical here once you realize he is completely insane (he came across as more sensible in the anime) in the princess abduction story line (which had some good jokes in the anime).

I warmed up to Nekone, at first she was the overly serious girl acting above her age but damn did she grow on me with her unsupressible cuteness. Also, the "candyman", I really like that dude, he makes me laugh and is about as cool as you can get. And no, Ougi isn't insane, he's just kinda calm and collected, having an "what will be will be, I'll be true to my desires" kind of personality, he's one I liked instantly.

But yeah, the friendships and the weight behind them lends huge power to the third act when all sort of stuff starts unraveling. Also the twins, I laughed so hard whenever they did anything. They were my favorite unit too.

I dunno what happens next so I'm waiting for the sequel with bated breath. That ending was both a great place to stop and also the cruelest ending ever. Also apparently the final game is almost twice as long as this one.

Dreiko:
I warmed up to Nekone, at first she was the overly serious girl acting above her age but damn did she grow on me with her unsupressible cuteness. Also, the "candyman", I really like that dude, he makes me laugh and is about as cool as you can get. And no, Ougi isn't insane, he's just kinda calm and collected, having an "what will be will be, I'll be true to my desires" kind of personality, he's one I liked instantly.

But yeah, the friendships and the weight behind them lends huge power to the third act when all sort of stuff starts unraveling. Also the twins, I laughed so hard whenever they did anything. They were my favorite unit too.

I dunno what happens next so I'm waiting for the sequel with bated breath. That ending was both a great place to stop and also the cruelest ending ever. Also apparently the final game is almost twice as long as this one.

I wondered what I'd think about the candyman if I didn't watch the anime first. The thing about Nekone is that she's just adorable in her interactions. Ougi sounds insane when he lets his sister potentially have them executed because he likes her sense of justice. Also I forget to mention Maroro who's hilarious and gets more spotlight.

If I'd need to theorize about the next game:

I think Ougi is thinking something more along the lines of "even if they come after us, we'll be able to escape anyways, so no worries", don't forget how they climbed that wall near the end. True ninja! :D

Oh yeah and Maroro was someone who I initially disliked but quickly warmed up to. His whole situation with his family being ex nobles and such made him very sympathetic and you can't help but sympathize.

Finishhed the game... Dat ending

I loved the game, the combat could have been a bit harder (though the last few stages has enemies with insane levels), another character that shined was Atuy when the wars started, there's something really awesome and creepy about her Yandere there. The ronin guy was cool too. Too bad he was completely useless gameplay wise.

inu-kun:

I loved the game, the combat could have been a bit harder (though the last few stages has enemies with insane levels), another character that shined was Atuy when the wars started, there's something really awesome and creepy about her Yandere there. The ronin guy was cool too. Too bad he was completely useless gameplay wise.

Ronin dude hits like a truck man, and is pretty good at tanking too. And yeah when Atui goes battle crazed she's quite scary, it's not exactly yandere as it is pure bloodlust though XD.

Dreiko:

inu-kun:

Ronin dude hits like a truck man, and is pretty good at tanking too. And yeah when Atui goes battle crazed she's quite scary, it's not exactly yandere as it is pure bloodlust though XD.

Anyways I'll try to "obtain" the original Utawarerumono to play on my laptop and probably start Tears to Tiara II once I finish with the new Atelier.

is this a tactical RPG?

If so, having never played any game in the series before this one ho critical is it to go back to understand the story?

go-10:
is this a tactical RPG?

If so, having never played any game in the series before this one ho critical is it to go back to understand the story?

It's a visual novel Srpg hybrid with focus on story. You can watch the anime to get the references if you haven't play the first game. It is very well-made. While not critical, they do offer a whole metric ton of love to original fans of the series so I would urge you to do indeed watch that anime.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here