Beyond Good And Evil 2

FUCK FUCK MUTHAFUCKA FUCK

Prequel

"GTA in space"

So, basically, it's going to be open world, like everything from Ubisoft, and they want to make all locations seem like they are living and functional places.

That pretty much tells us nothing, but since it is Ubisoft, I suppose we can speculate on how many Ubisoft open world tropes (Ubitropes?) it'll have. Climbing towers to reveal the map? Hunting for crafting materials? 1000 pointless collectibles?

Chimpzy:
So, basically, it's going to be open world, like everything from Ubisoft, and they want to make all locations seem like they are living and functional places.

That pretty much tells us nothing, but since it is Ubisoft, I suppose we can speculate on how many Ubisoft open world tropes (Ubitropes?) it'll have. Climbing towers to reveal the map? Hunting for crafting materials? 1000 pointless collectibles?

I suspect that instead of climbing towers you'll have to hack satellites which will of course have a SUPER FUN minigame involved. I'm putting my money on Simon Says style QTEs.

I'll wait until I actually see what they're offering before screaming about it.

Not exactly enthused thus far though. I suppose it was naive to hope they wouldn't do to this what they do to everything.

I'm not aboard the hype train. I'm not aboard the hate train. I am certainly interested. I'll see when it comes out or perhaps when useful info about it is released.

The only thing in that teaser I liked was the gorgeous sci-fi aesthetics. That world had a bit of everything, from the Neuromancer style cyberpunk bits at the beginning to the large scale science-fantasy gloss of the final shot and I love that kind of stuff. The shot where the camera pans across the city and you see the huge elephant statue with all the cyber-gubbins around it... damn, that's my kind of design, it pushes all the right buttons for me.

The rest of it was awful. It stopped feeling like a Beyond Good and Evil game extremely early on which deeply disappointed me. I genuinely wanted to be excited about this but, nope, not feeling it at all. Not to mention, this hadn't got even a hint of gameplay so in that respects it's as useful as the last teaser they released what, 8 or 9 years ago? I'm interested in seeing what's going to come of it for certain but the teaser definitely hasn't done anything for me.

It's a prequel?
They ended their game on such a massive cliffhanger and 13 years later they pick up with a prequel?
And what's with all the swearing? Why does every other sentence start or end with a "motherfucker"?
Why is Pey'j the bad guy? Why is he acting like a gangsta? Is that Jade, and why does she sound zoned out like that?
All the people celebrating this - did they even play the original game?

Johnny Novgorod:
It's a prequel?
They ended their game on such a massive cliffhanger and 13 years later they pick up with a prequel?
And what's with all the swearing? Why does every other sentence start or end with a "motherfucker"?
Why is Pey'j the bad guy? Why is he acting like a gangsta? Is that Jade, and why does she sound zoned out like that?

Usually I'd refrain from saying no in order to not sound like a judgemental ass but given that it was 13 years ago I'd actually say probably not. I mean the 18-20 year olds would have been about 5 or 6 when it was released so they probably only know it by reputation (I made myself feel old).

I remember it as a fun sci-fi adventure Zelda style game with some nature photography and stealth (I think, I have a vauge memory of sneaking around a factory) thrown in. Certainly not GTA in space.

I'd like "GTA in space". Problem is, doubt anyone who asked for Beyond Good & Evil 2 wished for it to be more like GTA.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Johnny Novgorod:
It's a prequel?

Usually I'd refrain from saying no in order to not sound like a judgemental ass but given that it was 13 years ago I'd actually say probably not. I mean the 18-20 year olds would have been about 5 or 6 when it was released so they probably only know it by reputation (I made myself feel old).

I remember it as a fun sci-fi adventure Zelda style game with some nature photography and stealth (I think, I have a vauge memory of sneaking around a factory) thrown in. Certainly not GTA in space.

It was a fun, upbeat, Zelda-like game. It had a stick-it-to-the-man plot but it was more in a treehouse club spirit rather than this fuck bitches/get cash malarkey I'm seeing in the trailer. You ran an orphanage, took pictures of wildlife and listened to this:

I'm as horrified as if the next Zelda game had Link finally talking and being like AW HELL NAW SHIT MOTHERFUCKIN DODONGS

Am so beaten, starved, numb and apathetic from internet tomfoolery and a creeping environmental dread that am hopeful and curious at the reveal but not excited. The dopamines are more invested in other areas of reward, but am keeping an eye on its' progress.

Johnny Novgorod:

I'm as horrified as if the next Zelda game had Link finally talking and being like AW HELL NAW SHIT MOTHERFUCKIN DODONGS

Uh, that monkey was never an established, beloved silent character of the series. He could be almost any element from the game as nobody knows anything about him. Nobody has any investment there.

Xsjadoblayde:
Am so beaten, starved, numb and apathetic from internet tomfoolery and a creeping environmental dread that am hopeful and curious at the reveal but not excited. The dopamines are more invested in other areas of reward, but am keeping an eye on its' progress.

Johnny Novgorod:

Uh, that monkey was never an established, beloved silent character of the series. He could be almost any element from the game as nobody knows anything about him. Nobody has any investment there.

No he wasn't. I see we played the same game.
It's not about the monkey, xjfexz. It's about how tonally jarring the game appears to be when compared to the original.

It looked to me like they made a space pirate game with with a cool future-india aesthetic, and decided to slap the "Beyond Good & Evil 2" name on it because they didn't think it would sell if it was its own thing. Which I guess is the only way resurrecting the BG&E name in this day and age makes sense, but still disappointing. It might still be a good game, but so far it doesn't look at all like the BG&E2 that I wanted.

5 bucks say it will be another far cry/assasssins creed clone.

its ubisoft. they are only interested in making open world games where you climb towers.

Johnny Novgorod:
Why is Pey'j the bad guy? Why is he acting like a gangsta?

That isn't Pey'j.

Is that Jade, and why does she sound zoned out like that?

That isn't Jade.

Did you even play the original game?

I was never super into the first game but i'm cautiously optimistic on this one. Yeah there was like zero swearing in the first game but it was far from swings and roundabouts, central themes of human trafficking and abuse of authority and all that. Heavy shit.

Let's just hope it ain't just another Ubisoft sandbox. They've got the latest Far Cry and Ass Creed for that anyway, give us just one unique experience for once.

Watch as they turn it into 'generic Unisoft sandbox number 512, now with more map icons'

But really... I feel like I'm so out of the loop on this. I never played the original Beyond Good & Evil and never really intend to so the whole 'holy shit finally' aspect of it is lost on me. Objectively I'm basically just expecting another Duke Nukem Forever to come out of this.

They don't even show the list of consoles. Then i guess it would be Switch exclusive for 12 months.

I'm a bit disappointed that it is a prequel and I'm not digging the new gangsta style, besides I'm not a fan of the Ubisoft open world game, so no I'm not hyped but I'm not upset either, because to be honest a prequel to an old game for which I didn't expect a sequel isn't really offensive, even if it did deserve a sequel to tie up the loose ends.

I really didn't like the trailer, in fact I'm pretty disappointed. I've been wanting this for years. I wanted a continuation to the Jade/Pey'j story that got abandoned years ago. It just didn't feel right to someone like me who loved the first game.

However, I'm prepared to keep an open mind. I will keep an eye on this on the run up to release (whenever that might be)and the reviews and make my mind up nearer the time. And if this sells well then maybe, just maybe, we'll get the continuation of the Jade/Pey'j story.

*the first finger on the decrepit monkey's paw slowly curls up*

Enjoy you're wish

I remember playing the demo of the first game a long time ago. I don't remember anything like what the trailer showed. I thought it was kind of a cute action game. This one is well...A monkey talking like an urban black guy. Since, I am a white guy. I am not allowed to comment about race. So, if there is someone who is qualified, can he or she tell us that we should be offended by this possibly racist character?

So we're not gonna find out what happened at the end of BGaE? No resolution on that? Nothing?

Oh, it's a multiplayer open world game. That totally makes up for it.....

ReservoirAngel:
Watch as they turn it into 'generic Unisoft sandbox number 512, now with more map icons'

But really... I feel like I'm so out of the loop on this. I never played the original Beyond Good & Evil and never really intend to so the whole 'holy shit finally' aspect of it is lost on me. Objectively I'm basically just expecting another Duke Nukem Forever to come out of this.

Yeah, never played the original either.

So there's a setting thats sort of Blade Runner via Fifth Element going on. Which is cool, but not exactly out of the box.

Then a bunch of talking animal people spouting tryhard "edgy" humor. Which I guess jives with "GTA in space", but is one of the myriad things I find annoying about GTA (along with the garbage shooting mechanics).

Who cares about the silly sequel bait at the end of BG&E? BG&E actually had a pretty conclusive ending with Jade learning who she is and unlocking her inner power to levitate and raise the dead and what not. The alpha section and the domz are beaten. The sequel baiting at the end was just that. And while other planets are referred to, none of them are ever referred to by name. Pey'j seems to have already had some adventures before the events of BG&E went down so a prequel might be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, this game might very well totally suck, but it won't suck because it didn't continue on a second long shot of Pey'j being infected by a defeated enemy because sequelbait.

First they tell me that sweet and relaxing stealth & photography game from so long ago is finally getting a much-demanded sequel...and it'll be a potty-mouthed "online playground"/"GTA in space". But then they say it's in "Day Zero of Development", thus revealing they're actually continuing their tradition of using this promise to bait us into buying their other games because they are cruel rapists of hope. Two wrongs made a neutral!

It's beginning to sound a bit Molyneuxesque

Leaving aside the fact that you create a custom character (a solid narrative about characters? Fuck that shit.) But seamless ground-space transition? Planets all orbit a star and have their own sunset? Cities grow?

I'm willing to bet we'll either never see this game or when we do it's a lot less ambitious.

As someone that have played Beyond Good & Evil I can attest that it was semi open, like Zelda, to begin with. It has a lot of Zelda's DNA in it in fact.

My bigger worry is that they drop the espionage aspect completly. BG&E is the only game I played that has espionage that feels like proper espionage.

Can't say the trailer made me exited at all, I mean for one, no gameplay anywhere so it told me fuck all about how the game plays, and it was pretty bad. The bloody monkey was horrible, he sounded like a wigger stereotype molded after that one offspring song, that's trying to act like a black gangsta stereotype, and coupled with me most god awful rap? I had ever had the misfortune of listing too.

In any case, I now have little expectation for it, but I'll wait for proper gameplay footage.

Sadly the more I hear about this game, the less excited about it I become.

Also worth mentioning though that this isn't even the first time BG&E2 was announced with a neat cinematic at E3, anyone else remember this gem?

So before I bother to actually get upset about anything, best to see if this time unlike last anything actually happens following the announcement.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here