Sony dumping PS3 and Vita Support: my bad... PS NOW support only

EDIT Glad Dreiko: talked me off a ledge. Misread that and jumped to the conclussion all my PS3 and Vita Live games were going to die. Not that alarming. Trying to delete this post

From what I'm hearing/reading, no talk of Vita 2 or PS5. Yet, Sony is dumping support for Vita and PS3.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-now-dumping-vita-ps3-and-more-to-focus/1100-6447894/

Does this mean no more PS+ games for those systems? That's 1/2 the reason I have + (the other for the few times I'm online and PS4 games.)

Huh...is it bad that I thought that happened years ago?

Cause...I thought that happened at least a year ago or so. I suppose they did just stop producing them so maybe I jumped the gun on that but I'm more surprised it's gone on this long than I am surprised that they're cutting the cord.

Misleading title.

Sony is dropping ps now support, not general support.

The vita has tons of scheduled upcoming games for years down the line, so it's not going anywhere. PS now is the only thing affected here.

Dreiko:
Misleading title.

Sony is dropping ps now support, not general support.

The vita has tons of scheduled upcoming games for years down the line, so it's not going anywhere. PS now is the only thing affected here.

Thank you, mis understood the article.

Still sad no talk of PS Vita2 but having plenty of fun with 1.

I'll see if I can close this thread.

PS3 is already a 'legacy platform' and is no longer manufactured. I also wonder if they are keeping those servers up indefinitely or if(and when) they are going to pull the plug. They are probably going to gradually dismantle it piece by piece. PSV never caught on in Europe and U.S. and that is most likely due to everyone having smartphones. Except for Japan handhelds no longer appeal to the casual market so it's unlikely we'll ever see a Vita 2. Well, maybe Nintendo but that is ofcourse b/c they have primarily families and kids as their target demographic. Don't expect another handheld by Sony anytime soon.

PSV was kind of wasted potential but PS3 had a really good(and long) run though. I still remember my first PS3 the Phat. That piece of shit was a beast that could play 3 generations of Playstation games(cpmpare that to the 'final' PS3 with it's cheap plastic cover and that looked like a cheap bread box). Despite it's peculiar memory distribution, Cell architecture and limited ram the PS3 still dared to be different despite the chagrin of most developers. The x86 architecture of PS4 plays it much safer but the multiplatform games are way better on it. I guess Sony don't bother anymore with exotic hardware since PS3 never reached it's full potential anyway. That Cell processor cost a shit ton to make. Unfortunately Cell also makes it more difficult to port PS3 games. :( From what I understand they had to rebuild The Last of Us from the ground up for the remaster. Kind of has me worried that PS3 games will be lost to time espescially my favorite Demon's Souls.

Don't worry about free PS+ games on PSN. They will most likely keep that around as long as the servers remain active.

The Vita is a disgrace to the Sony name unfortunately. None of the games that shows respect to a handheld and the only noted games are monhun clones to fill the void amd the plethora of cheesecake jrpgs that reminded us when there was a drought of good jrpgs.

Sony even already dumped Vita many years ago. I have fat Vita and i could say that most of the games are crap. Persona 4 and MGS are even ported from ps2.

stroopwafel:
PS3 is already a 'legacy platform' and is no longer manufactured. I also wonder if they are keeping those servers up indefinitely or if(and when) they are going to pull the plug.

I was going to ask, because I always get these things confused, if this meant Sony was shutting down the servers and online support for PS3 (PSN =/= PS Now?).

Johnny Novgorod:

stroopwafel:
PS3 is already a 'legacy platform' and is no longer manufactured. I also wonder if they are keeping those servers up indefinitely or if(and when) they are going to pull the plug.

I was going to ask, because I always get these things confused, if this meant Sony was shutting down the servers and online support for PS3 (PSN =/= PS Now?).

PS Now is a service of PSN, one that wasn't used much so they decided to scrap it on PS3. I think the same will occur to PS3 PSN in general. They probably just look at the amount of users that log in to decide when a certain threshold is reached to cancel it altogether. PS3 still has a fairly large amount of users so my guess is that probably won't be in the next few years. Though like Sony declared they no longer focus on it.

This makes me think it may soon be time to get a bigger hard drive for my PS3 and download any digital games I want to keep to it. Just in case they ever do drop PSN entirely for the console. It makes sense that someday they will have to, but it seems like it would not take much effort to allow PS3 systems to check in with PSN to authorize PS+ games and stuff like that.

stroopwafel:

I still remember my first PS3 the Phat. That piece of shit was a beast that could play 3 generations of Playstation games(cpmpare that to the 'final' PS3 with it's cheap plastic cover and that looked like a cheap bread box). Despite it's peculiar memory distribution, Cell architecture and limited ram the PS3 still dared to be different despite the chagrin of most developers. The x86 architecture of PS4 plays it much safer but the multiplatform games are way better on it. I guess Sony don't bother anymore with exotic hardware since PS3 never reached it's full potential anyway. That Cell processor cost a shit ton to make. Unfortunately Cell also makes it more difficult to port PS3 games. :( From what I understand they had to rebuild The Last of Us from the ground up for the remaster. Kind of has me worried that PS3 games will be lost to time espescially my favorite Demon's Souls.

My brother's PS3 is still going since Christmas 2006. Sometimes we refer to it as "Ol' Reliable" as a joke. It was the low-memory version as well, it's shocking that it's still going considering how old it is. Never repaired it once, the thing still chugs along like a champ, though recently it has started shutting down randomly when playing games, I think it's almost done for. I have so many memories of it, when we made our first download, which was a code which came with the console's box. Gran Turismo V Prologue. Okay game, we also had Ratchet and Clank, Super Stardust, and I can't remember the last game. Then I remember when we got our first Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 1. We got the Civilisation Revolution demo, which became our favourite game even though we didn't buy it, and it was basically our reason in the future for buying PCs. My brother downloaded an ungodly amount of demos, almost a hundred of them. They're pretty much all gone now, because he deleted them one by one over time to download more demos. Kind of sad. I will never forget it.

I'm surprised that new games have been released on PS3 after the first or second year the PS4 was launched. How old is that console now? 10 years? 12 years? And I thought the PS Now support was going to be the last thing to go (technically speaking, the PS3 has very little hardware disadvantage against the PS4 for PS Now performance).

gyrobot:
The Vita is a disgrace to the Sony name unfortunately. None of the games that shows respect to a handheld and the only noted games are monhun clones to fill the void amd the plethora of cheesecake jrpgs that reminded us when there was a drought of good jrpgs.

I thought you would think more highly about the Vita. When it comes to portable Otaku games, that's the console of choice in Japan.

CaitSeith:

gyrobot:

I thought you would think more highly about the Vita. When it comes to portable Otaku games, that's the console of choice in Japan.

That guy seems to have an axe to grind against fun games of Japanese origin that people like in the west which are not the most serious.

As someone who is maximum serous business in his gaming, I love a chance to break away from that once in a while and go nep nep some slimes, so that attitude is incomprehensible to me XD.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here