Why is LBGT/women in gaming so special?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

My opinion on this is double layered.

Women and LGBT people are underrepresented in the gaming industry, I'm not gonna start pointing fingers or making shit up as to why that's how it is, just pointing out that that's how it is. As such, some people are of the opinion that art made by women and LGBT has a greater chance of appealing to women and LGBT people, therefore we should promote art made by these demographics. As a proposition I find the logic behind that idea flawed (IMO it's got the same air as thinking "Hey he's black, clearly he likes only art made by other black people!" it's an idea that's only ever stank of bigotry to me and it says a fucking Old Testament of a story about the people who have that idea), but ultimately harmless if that end goal is pursued, because the final product is simply more art being made and possibly an untapped marked being tapped, if that even is the correct method of tapping that market.

However, no developer is entitled to any consumers money no matter what, and say whatever you will about absolutely fantastic indie titles that have come out, I've seen some real stinkers come out of indie studios. (Try not to notice the Steam Memelight elephant in the room.) And consumers tend to only really pick the best of the best when it comes to indie games. There's a reason Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight made more money than god, because they were damn good. Bad games tend to be dodged entirely, and the risk of wasting money and time on a bad game is often more likely to intimidate consumers away from a purchase than the potential reward of a fun game.

To be honest I do think there is an air around women and LGBT people in games that nobody wants to point out, note that you only ever hear about the identity of these developers during times when news is admittedly a little bit slow. I think it's mostly a cultural accident in video games that people care about the genitals or preferences of certain developers. I know that a lot of writers have quotas on how many articles they have to write to remain employed.

There's this cynical little goblin in me that thinks marginalized voices in gaming are only being propped up and allowed to speak because certain writers will get an article out of it and get to keep their jobs. Soon as the article is done being written we're expected to forget about that person until the next slow news week. Didn't hear it from me, though.

Once again I'm reminded why I hate discussing the disease that is politics. The only thing that's clear in this thread is why these types of arguments have gone on for decades now with no resolution.

There is a theory that the two party system was designed specifically to tear the citizenbase apart, and really, its tough to argue against that being the case. Bipartisan aims are nice thought, but if that is really the goal, then why not just have one party.

Such a mess.

Its because lesbians sell. There is no other reason. Those big gaming companies that "care so much about representation" couldn't give less of a crap about whatever social justice crusade is going on that particular week.

Cold Shiny:
Its because lesbians sell. There is no other reason. Those big gaming companies that "care so much about representation" couldn't give less of a crap about whatever social justice crusade is going on that particular week.

Yeah, that line of reasoning crumbles whenever we see gay men, biesexuals, or trans characters. We get things other than lesbians in gaming.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here