Game developers who actually keep their promises?

I am sure we can think of hundreds, if not thousands of games where the developers broke their promises and the games did not live up to expectations, however, are there any developers that actually do what they say they will do? That their games meets and exceeds expectations? I have been trying to think of those who set out to do great things and actually accomplished them, but am having difficulty even coming up with ONE sadly.

Then again, I usually only play games these days that are heavy PvP oriented with extreme player coordination on a mass scale so it also greatly raises the difficulty for developers to be able to fulfill their promises as this is far easier said than done to accomplish things like balance, mass combat that is not a lag fest or an unexploitable economy and combat system on a large scale.

If you can think of one please post! Someone asked me this, and I completely drew a blank because even when I think back to some of the retro games I played, there were still usually things they said would happen that never came to fruition. Is this just something we wished to exist but never actually has?

Larian Studios is my go-to developer as long as reliability and consumer-friendly practices go.

D:OS2 was the only Kickstarter I've ever supported, and I don't regret it a bit.

I can think of dozens.

Inside
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
Snake Pass
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Just to name a few. Not every developer promises the Moon on a silver platter, some just promise a nice game, which they then provide.

But if we're talking games that had a shitload of hype behind it; Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's one of the "cleanest" AAA games I've seen in a while. It didn't doctor its graphics to make it look better than it actually does, there wasn't any day-one DLC (to my knowledge), no micro-transactions, no glitches or other annoyances due to an overbearing graphics engine, and loads of free little update patches adding options and gear.

Does Nintendo count? Breath of the Wild looked total amaze balls in the first trailers, and the game looked and felt pretty much the same when it released.

Gives me a lot of faith for Mario Odyssey

DICE LA, the division of DICE that hasn't even actually made a game yet, were godsends for Battlefield 4. They kept in constant contact with the community and if they ever didn't deliver on a promise, they made sure we knew the reasons why.

Rocksteady... Now my trust in them has taken quite a hit since the shit show that was Arkham Knight (and I didn't give a crap about the PC port), but they certainly did their best to address the concerns many people had with the game. Two people on the staff actually went out of their way to bring in a The Dark Knight skin into the game for free on their own time. They delivered on their promise months later, but they still delivered. As with DICE LA, they always made sure that the community knew the reasons behind their decisions.

I guess I'll give DICE Stockholm and Naughty Dog a mention for having gorgeous games that didn't end up getting downgraded. I would have put Guerilla Games in here too but didn't they try to fuck with everyone with Killzone 2?

Casual Shinji:
I can think of dozens.

Inside
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
Snake Pass
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0

Those aren't developers though? In any case, don't people claim that TWD (I'm guessing we're talking Telltale) is basically a bunch of smoke and mirrors and a few actually important decisions? Never played any of their games but I am skeptical about any game that claims to have choices that matter.

Bob_McMillan:

Casual Shinji:
I can think of dozens.

Inside
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
Snake Pass
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0

Those aren't developers though? In any case, don't people claim that TWD (I'm guessing we're talking Telltale) is basically a bunch of smoke and mirrors and a few actually important decisions? Never played any of their games but I am skeptical about any game that claims to have choices that matter.

Well, the 'promises kept' are the games themselves.

And yeah, I guess you got a point with The Walking Dead, but that was never a game built up to be the most amazing, revolutionary thing to date, which is where most issues with broken promises come from.

Atlus, arcsys, triace, falcom, marvelous and vanillaware are some of those that come to mind.

To be fair, there's plenty of devs who keep their promises. The problem is that, sometimes, those promises are shit. Turtle Rock promised that Evolve was built from the ground up to sell DLC and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST did they follow through on that one.

I have to say Harebrained Schemes. Shadowrun Returns and the two sequels, Dragonfall and Hong Kong, basically kept all the promises that they made. I'm eagerly awaiting to see what they can do with Battletech, the beta footage I've been watching looks great. Yacht Games too. They promised a lot of free shit to go with Shovel Knight, and most of it is out now, with the exception of the King Knight campaign, but it's clear that's going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

erttheking:
To be fair, there's plenty of devs who keep their promises. The problem is that, sometimes, those promises are shit. Turtle Rock promised that Evolve was built from the ground up to sell DLC and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST did they follow through on that one.

I have to say Harebrained Schemes. Shadowrun Returns and the two sequels, Dragonfall and Hong Kong, basically kept all the promises that they made. I'm eagerly awaiting to see what they can do with Battletech, the beta footage I've been watching looks great. Yacht Games too. They promised a lot of free shit to go with Shovel Knight, and most of it is out now, with the exception of the King Knight campaign, but it's clear that's going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

I see that setting the bar too low as not counting. I see that is more of the issues I am having. There are plenty of single player, low player games that do, but not the type of games I enjoy playing. I primarily play massive multiplayer games and ignore all PvE content and only PvP, so trying to find anything like that, who even remotely managed to do what they said they would do seems impossible. Trying to find games with extremely large battles and mass combat is difficult enough, little lone ones that actually do it properly. I no longer even allow myself to get hyped for a game now, they are always too good to be true. Even if they manage to get some things right, they will then do something stupid like make it pay to win, or make it where only one set of class/builds is playable due to balance issues, or make it so glitchy and laggy you cannot even fight because it either slows down the game to a ridiculous speed or people are not even appearing on screen. I have yet to see anyone do it right for actual challenging, strategic, fun,large scale combat. I guess I just have my bar too high.

Nobody's mentioned CD Projekt Red yet? Every Witcher game was a massive improvement over the last, huge, epic, and the last game's story spanned multiple worlds thanks to Cirilla. The quests didn't seem like quests in the general sense. I found myself wanting to finish them just for the bit of added lore it would add.

I've never seen anything they've said as promises, more like targets or goals they're aiming to achieve. Whether they achieve them or not is down to a lot of variables along the way, including their own skills and motivation/ambition.

Anybody remember Peter Molyneux? Eh, no connection, just throwing Romero names Pitchford out there for funsies.

Anyways, their words are mostly water-off-a-duck's-back for me until I see results. The odd bit of info may prick up my ears and stroke my beardums in contemplation, but to think of them as promises may do more harm than good. If the game is already made and released to the public when the developer talks about what it can do, then yes it's certainly aligning more along the promise spectrum of human-speak.

Some developers are pretty great with not talking much about their upcoming games, so they maintain any hype being created is more the public's trust in their abilities from previous titles, instead of musing end-goal ideas publicly to stir up excitement. The silent/quiet type works better in the long-term. Unless they're a Kickstarter developer not communicating with backers.

Lil devils x:
I see that is more of the issues I am having. There are plenty of single player, low player games that do, but not the type of games I enjoy playing. I primarily play massive multiplayer games and ignore all PvE content and only PvP . .

I think the real problem is the type of game you are playing. The developer has these problems in order of difficulty:

1) Making it work, no really serious bugs, low latency/lag etc.
2) Balancing the game.
3) Minimizing the amount of asshole-ish behavior.

Even the first is a lot harder than in a single player game. The second is why companies like Blizzard spend like half a decade developing titles and the third is virtually impossible. Yet it's not all that hard to make a shell of a game that is fun when played on a local network by a dev team that hasn't seen the unforeseen balance problems and doesn't act like assholes.

So the dev team knows that they can feasibly create the art assets, fill in the skill trees and fix the most egregious glitches but they really have no idea whether they can make a good game. A related issue is that they cannot be sure they've solved any of these problems until they have thousands of people playing.

Casual Shinji:

Bob_McMillan:

Casual Shinji:
I can think of dozens.

Inside
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
Snake Pass
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0

And yeah, I guess you got a point with The Walking Dead, but that was never a game built up to be the most amazing, revolutionary thing to date, which is where most issues with broken promises come from.

True but considering how every "determinant" aspect of your choices always end up getting wiped clean by the next season, the whole "X will remember Y" feels disingenous. At least with a Choose Your Own Adventure kid's novel you really branch out into different plotlines with different outcomes.

Klei? Supergiant? Hare-

erttheking:

I have to say Harebrained Schemes.

CD-

Remus:
Nobody's mentioned CD Projekt Red yet?

Ok, Edmund McMillen the- *remembers Mewgenics* nevermind.

These developers have pretty clean record so far, from what i know.

I would say that Paradox also usually keeps their promises with self developed games. Not that those games don't have problems, but those problems are usually of other nature.

Lil devils x:

I see that setting the bar too low as not counting. I see that is more of the issues I am having. There are plenty of single player, low player games that do, but not the type of games I enjoy playing. I primarily play massive multiplayer games and ignore all PvE content and only PvP, so trying to find anything like that, who even remotely managed to do what they said they would do seems impossible.

Can't help you then.

See, the games you like are games i don't like. Or care about enough to know what people promised.

but even if that is true for this segment of the gaming market, in general there are a lot of developers active in other parts of the market who tend to keep their promises.

I'd put Naughty dog out there but they usually keep a silence is golden type of development process until the game is close to coming out. I haven't been disappointed by anything that they've put out that I can remember.

Never played Keef the thief though.

EDIT: Saw your other post. Can't help with Pvp types sorry.

Casual Shinji:

Bob_McMillan:

Casual Shinji:
I can think of dozens.

Inside
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
Snake Pass
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0

When I saw this thread, I came in to mention Playdead (Inside and Limbo.) They're an indie developer with a LOT to teach the AAA giants, primarily "don't TALK about it; BE about it." They don't make promises; they make games. They put their heads down and focus on their craft, and when they're done, the results are incredible games that will stand the test of time and be remembered as some of the most unique and beautiful experiences in videogamedom while CoDs and Ass Creeds who flood the market with their brand of "more of the same" will be remembered as a brand, but individually forgotten. And Playdead is so HUMBLE!! They dropped Inside for digital download quietly on a Wednesday for a modest $20 price tag. They didn't hype it up weeks in advance or charge $40 banking on Limbo's success to carry the doubled price. After Limbo, or course, but after Inside especially, Playdead has such credibility with me, if they made a dog shit sandwich, I'd probably try it.

Casual Shinji:

Persona 5

promised release date: winter 2014 for PS3.
actual release date: April 4 2017 exclusive to PS4.

yeah that was a good promise Atlus kept.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Persona 5

Might wanna check that data again smarty pants -- it's also available on the PS3.

And oh, a release date isn't kept. It's almost as if games are a huge amount of work, and very few games are able to adhire to a strict release schedule. When was Breath of the Wild supposed to release on the Wii-U? 2015? Oh yeah, and then it got delayed twice, conveniently coinciding with the release of the Switch in 2017.

Maybe you should've mentioned The Last Guardian; a game that actually promised to be on PS3, but skipped it for the PS4 exclussively.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Persona 5

Might wanna check that data again smarty pants -- it's also available on the PS3.

And oh, a release date isn't kept. It's almost as if games are a huge amount of work, and very few games are able to adhire to a strict release schedule. When was Breath of the Wild supposed to release on the Wii-U? 2015? Oh yeah, and then it got delayed twice, conveniently coinciding with the release of the Switch in 2017.

Maybe you should've mentioned The Last Guardian; a game that actually promised to be on PS3, but skipped it for the PS4 exclussively.

i never claimed that Nintendo Kept their promise's though.

it's funny how literally every single time i say somethng on these forums, even if it's something as simple as "pretty sure this is the gaming discussion section not movie discussion section" to ezekiel over in the tomb raider movie thread, you all without fail revert back to going "B-B-BUT Nintendo!"

Yoshi178:

it's funny how literally every single time i say somethng on these forums, even if it's something as simple as "pretty sure this is the gaming discussion section not movie discussion section" to ezekiel over in the tomb raider movie thread, you all without fail revert back to going "B-B-BUT Nintendo!"

Gee, I wonder why that is?

Maybe because you're always jumping to Nintendo's defense, and are ready to flog any other gaming company for the littlest thing. In this case a thing that you could've known wasn't true if you had simply googled it. But instead you just assumed the worst, likely because it involved something not-Nintendo related.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Gee, I wonder why that is?

Maybe because you're always jumping to Nintendo's defense, and are ready to flog any other gaming company for the littlest thing. In this case a thing that you could've known wasn't true if you had simply googled it. But instead you just assumed the worst, likely because it involved something not-Nintendo related.

ok Persona 5 is on PS3 as well.

doesn't change that Atlus lied about it releasing in "Winter 2014"

Yoshi178:

Yes, because they knew they were actually going to release it in 2017, right? It's not like they were planning to release it in '14, but due to complications it got pushed back to '17 -- Nope, they just lied.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Yes, because they knew they were actually going to release it in 2017, right? It's not like they were planning to release it in '14, but due to complications it got pushed back to '17 -- Nope, they just lied.

sounds alot like this forums conspiracy theories about Nintendo's "Artificial shortages" don't you think?

Retro Studios

Grasshopper Manufacture [1]

Platinum Games

XSEED

Marvelous

Cyber Connect 2

Santa Monica Studios

AM2 or Sega (specifically the Yakuza Team)

Omega Force

Naughty Dog

Vicarious Visions

Arc Systems Works

Machine Games

[1] Lily Bergamo is the only exception. What could have fucking been!

Platinum Games & Atlus (pre-SEGA, not sure now) were/are both pretty good about giving a 'what you see is what you get' sort of deal.

I'd say the same is for the folks over at GOG.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

sounds alot like this forums conspiracy theories about Nintendo's "Artificial shortages" don't you think?

Nothing artificial about it. Just a shortage period.

Also release dates are not promises. They are goals. There is a difference. I notice how you talk about persona 5's delay yet didn't say anything when the Breath of the Wild delay was brought up. "lalala Nintendo is perfect lalala". Just stop it dude. We know you love Nintendo and every spunk gargle wiiwii that they put out. But sometimes you act like they are infallible and it makes people roll their eyes.

CritialGaming:
I notice how you talk about persona 5's delay yet didn't say anything when the Breath of the Wild delay was brought up. "lalala Nintendo is perfect lalala". Just stop it dude. We know you love Nintendo and every spunk gargle wiiwii that they put out. But sometimes you act like they are infallible and it makes people roll their eyes.

LOL did you even read the thread?

Casual Shinji listed a bunch of games that didn't break promise's. Zelda was not was not one of those games that was on his list. Persona 5 was thought. Casual shinji brought up that. not me. i never said ANY game or developer kept promise's. XD

i love how you ignore that fact though because as you say, "lalala Sony is perfect lala". just stop it dude.

you're right that Zelda devs didn't keep their promise's since you're desperate to bring it up. XD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here