R.I.P., Dave Arneson [UPDATE]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

R.I.P., Dave Arneson [UPDATE]

UPDATE: Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Dave Arneson lost a long battle against cancer last night.

The Escapist expresses its sincere condolences to the friends and family of Dave Arneson.

In his youth, Arneson was fond of wargaming, specifically naval wargames. As a student of history, Arenson combined his passion for gaming with historical events, frequently running "what-if" scenarios for famous battles of ages past. His love for tabletop gaming led him to a fateful meeting at Gen Con in August 1969, where he met a young man named Gary Gygax.

Together with Gygax, Arneson was responsible for co-creating the influential tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, with the first edition published in 1974. While Gygax and Arenson would eventually part ways, their work would pave the way for hundreds of tabletop RPGs - and did more to popularize and define the modern High Fantasy setting than virtually anyone since J.R.R. Tolkien.

Arneson would go on to focus development on his own Blackmoor tabletop campaign, and later became a teacher of a game design course at Full Sail until he retired last year.

Since suffering a stroke in 2002, Arneson's health declined, and he struggled with cancer - a condition which suddenly worsened late last week, when he checked into a hospital with a "poor" prognosis. After some confusion with conflicting reports on the 7th, Arneson lost his fight against cancer last night with family at his side. Gygax himself passed away last March.

Sources close to the man have confirmed the sad news. "Dave Arneson, who I had the pleasure to finally meet in 2004, was a titan of creativity. His contribution to the creation of role-playing games, and through them the entire ecosystem of CRPGs, MUDs, and MMOs that grew from them, was immeasurable. The game industry would not be the same today without his work," said Alexander Macris, publisher of The Escapist.

Game on, Mr. Arneson. Requiescat in pace.

*Fortitude check (Terminal cancer) DC: 22
*Roll 16+3=19
*Result: Failed
*You die

Dave Arneson
Rolling in his grave

Damn it, I don't know DnD well enough to make a heart felt joke out of this.

UPDATE: Wow, turns out I don't have to. That was a bit of a fuck up...

Assuming he's actually even dead. There aren't any sources I'd call reliable, and even the sources in question are basically saying 'I heard from somebody'...

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

Amusing, but probably in poor taste.

Anyway, that sucks. Seems like the people who made DnD have bad luck.

MaxTheReaper:

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

Seconded.
& poor Gygax.

G1eet:

MaxTheReaper:

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

Seconded.
& poor Gygax.

Thirded

Twitter comments seem to indicate he has not yet passed away:

http://twitter.com/MikeStackpole
http://twitter.com/AtomicOvermind

But given the family request for privacy, it's impossible to tell until some confirmed sources speak up.

Working from the assumption that Mr. Arneson is indeed dead, here's hoping that if anyone raises funds for his favorite charity, it takes the money.

CantFaketheFunk:
R.I.P., Dave Arneson

Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Dave Arneson reportedly lost a long battle against cancer earlier today.

This thread has been done TODAY.
Use the search button sometimes.

(:D)

Either way, not the place for that sort of thing.

that sux

why is it all d&d geeks have beards and long hair? Ed Greenwood is the same, tho he looks more like a crazy english prof than a geek

Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are playing D&D in the afterlife now... I wonder what they would be saying.

I very briefly met Mr. Arneson at one of the GenCons I attended, but alas I was volunteering at a booth and couldn't spend much time with him. I guess that was my only opportunity... but at least I said, "Hi".

It's a pity he's gone. Ave atque vale, Dave.

-- Steve

Way to jump on the 'Gosh, I'm sorry you're dead Mister Famous Person' bandwagon, guys.

Especially seeing as the article itself stated that it wasn't clear whether or not he was dead.

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

Looks like you need an update:

*Roll 15+8=23
*Result: Success
*You successfully resist the disease

level250geek:
Dave Arneson is still with us. http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/04/dave-arneson-is-still-with-us.html

WOW, I did not see that coming. Heres hopeing that he gets better.

Hankage:
Assuming he's actually even dead. There aren't any sources I'd call reliable, and even the sources in question are basically saying 'I heard from somebody'...

Good Call, sir.

Even though I never played DD I thought well that was sad. Then, suddenly he's not dead. Maybe you should double check before depressing the fans.

hopeneverdies:
Even though I never played DD I thought well that was sad. Then, suddenly he's not dead. Maybe you should double check before depressing the fans.

This was our double check. The original post made it very clear that we were waiting on a confirmation before we could tell for sure. :)

MaxTheReaper:

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

*Roll 15+8=23

Nah, it was definitely a 3... just forgot to add his circumstance bonus for being in a hospice, making an additional will save, and being an epic-level game designer. It happens all the time, just go back a round and keep going like you never made the mistake...

BobisOnlyBob:

MaxTheReaper:

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

*Roll 15+8=23

Nah, it was definitely a 3... just forgot to add his circumstance bonus for being in a hospice, making an additional will save, and being an epic-level game designer. It happens all the time, just go back a round and keep going like you never made the mistake...

See, the most experience I have with DnD is Neverwinter Nights.

MaxTheReaper:

BobisOnlyBob:

MaxTheReaper:

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

*Roll 15+8=23

See, the most experience I have with DnD is Neverwinter Nights.

I apologize, Max. I cannot respect you anymore.

I was afraid that Arneson really had passed for a second there. I mean, I can't celebrate two weeks in the year where I wear nothing but black and play D&D for at least two hours a day.

Flying-Emu:

I apologize, Max. I cannot respect you anymore.

I was afraid that Arneson really had passed for a second there. I mean, I can't celebrate two weeks in the year where I wear nothing but black and play D&D for at least two hours a day.

Completely understandable.
I actually thought about playing the real game, or DMing or whatever, mostly because I like to tell stories, but I'm not sure I want to be that nerdy.
Also this is Florida.
DnD players get burned right along with the blacks and the gays.

EDIT: I always wear black. I am awesome.

Hooray

dochmbi:
*Roll 16+3=19
*You die

Wow.. that's just tasteless. You kind of disgust me right now.

So, which is he now? Alive, alive but with negative hit-points, or in fact, now dead?

hida_dragonbane:
aaaand, dead again.

http://www.dorktower.com/2009/04/08/rest-in-peace-dave/

Ooh, yeah. That's an official source: 'I heard from some guy I know that spoke to his daughter.'

Hankage:

hida_dragonbane:
aaaand, dead again.

http://www.dorktower.com/2009/04/08/rest-in-peace-dave/

Ooh, yeah. That's an official source: 'I heard from some guy I know that spoke to his daughter.'

The family announced to friends this morning that Dave Arneson passed away last night, with his family by his side.

I feel no great need to prove anything to anybody here, save that now the Escapist is causing even more hurt and confusion amongst those who knew and loved Dave, with the "Dave Arneson is thankfully still with us" update as the latest it has on the story.

To the facts: This morning, Dave's daughter phoned two friends of mine - Rick Loomis and Mike Stackpole - with the sad news. Rick and Mike then informed others in the industry.

I realize the Escapist has more reason than ever after yesterday to double-check its sources, but for the sake of family and friends, please hurry up and do so.

Dave was truly a wonderful person, gracious and kind, and really doesn't deserve this.

Kovalic:
[quote="Hankage" post="7.105716.1720550"]I realize the Escapist has more reason than ever after yesterday to double-check its sources, but for the sake of family and friends, please hurry up and do so.

I agree this whole back-and-forth is rather disturbing, but I highly doubt Dave's family and friends are watching the Escapist website for news about him.

dorm41baggins:

Kovalic:
[quote="Hankage" post="7.105716.1720550"]I realize the Escapist has more reason than ever after yesterday to double-check its sources, but for the sake of family and friends, please hurry up and do so.

I agree this whole back-and-forth is rather disturbing, but I highly doubt Dave's family and friends are watching the Escapist website for news about him.

No, but many are still being bugged by people who read this, who assume Dave is still alive and in Hospice.

If you Google Dave Arneson, this article is the second one to come up, and has been most of the day, after only the Wiki one. Which is good news for the Escapist, but bad for people trying to pay their respects.

I'm still seeing his friends post about his death, only to have someone go "Wait...he's alive. Read http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90765-R-I-P-Dave-Arneson" I just saw another such post right now.

I know none of this was done with anything but the best intentions. However the misinformation really DOES need to be corrected ASAP.

Kovalic:

dorm41baggins:

Kovalic:

No, but many are still being bugged by people who read this, who assume Dave is still alive and in Hospice.

If you Google Dave Arneson, this article is the second one to come up, and has been most of the day, after only the Wiki one. Which is good news for the Escapist, but bad for people trying to pay their respects.

I'm still seeing his friends post about his death, only to have someone go "Wait...he's alive. Read http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90765-R-I-P-Dave-Arneson" I just saw another such post right now.

I know none of this was done with anything but the best intentions. However the misinformation really DOES need to be corrected ASAP.

Apologies for any confusion. The post has been updated to reflect Mr. Arneson's passing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here