Gore Verbinski Chooses BioShock Over Pirates

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gore Verbinski Chooses BioShock Over Pirates

Director Gore Verbinski has announced that he won't be taking the helm of the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, choosing to focus on the upcoming BioShock film instead.

Verbinski directed all three of the previous Pirates of the Caribbean films - in fact, aside from a quick break in 2005 for the Nicolas Cage film The Weather Man, it's all he's done since The Ring was released in 2002 - but now he's apparently looking for a change of pace and the underwater dystopia of Rapture appears to have tickled his fancy. Verbinski was actually signed to direct the movie in May 2008 but his choice to do BioShock over the "sure thing" of a new Pirates movie is a strong signal of his commitment to the project.

"I had a fantastic time bringing Pirates to life and I am eternally grateful to Jerry, Johnny and the rest of the creative and production team," Verbinski said. "I'm looking forward to all of us crossing paths again in the future." In fact, Verbinski is working with Depp on Rango, an animated film in which Depp voices the lead character.

Verbinski said he felt BioShock was "brimming with cinematic potential" when he signed to direct the movie, claiming, "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative." The BioShock film is currently slated for release in 2010.

Source: Variety

Cool, with Verbinski and an Oscar Winning Screenwriter on side I maintain that this, and possibly Prince of Persia, have the best possible chances of being decent videogame movies.

I have really high hopes for this one. The guy made an American remake of a Japanese classic into it's own entity and did with both class and constrant that just isn't visible in most American remakes (This is coming from someone who loved the American remakes of The Grudge and The Grudge 2...). I have nothing but positive vibes coming off of this collaberation.

You really should read the Q/A session that Variety had with this guy to see what he thinks of this project and what he though of the game- http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/05/gore-verbinski.html

He isn't Uwe Boll.

I like him.

I'm not sure if calling the new pirates a sure thing is quite accurate, how many movie series have still been good by the 4th movie?

BioShock was not brimming with cinematic potential. It was brimming with cinematic dramatic elements and turns of character. The game met its own potential, so there's no need for a movie to be made out of it.

And this is where I shall stop, because if I have to think about Gore Verbinski and those jaw-droppingly horrible Pirates movies one second longer, my head is going to cave in.

Why do you people keep giving these people money? I mean, seriously. What am I missing here?

TheBluesader:
BioShock was not brimming with cinematic potential. It was brimming with cinematic dramatic elements and turns of character. The game met its own potential, so there's no need for a movie to be made out of it.

And this is where I shall stop, because if I have to think about Gore Verbinski and those jaw-droppingly horrible Pirates movies one second longer, my head is going to cave in.

Why do you people keep giving these people money? I mean, seriously. What am I missing here?

Because those of us with raging pirate fetishes can't get enough of it ^_^.
And I really, really hope they don't screw this one up.

Bioshock movie ?!
Prince of Persia movie ?!

I am so far behind on news its unreal.
I like Verbinski, so I have faith in him not to ruin the Bioshock movie.
As long as he doesnt try to throw in some pirate ship battles in Rapture :)

TheBluesader:

The sensibilities of the mass market, apparantly.

Kwil:

TheBluesader:

The sensibilities of the mass market, apparantly.

Wow. That's, like, utterly true. And you didn't make it sound like I was a d-bag jerk for it or something.

An honest statement free of snark? Is this a sign of things to come on Web 2.0?

(Srsly, I was expecting lots of poorly spelled flames in response. Kudos, Dragon Avatar.)

Bioshock movie?

Please pinch me, and then feed me the blue pill. *_*

I think I have some hope for it being a decent movie now...

I can't believe I'm saying this...but the one name that really comes to mind when I think of who should direct Bioshock is:

M. Night Shymalan

Although Gore Verbinski isn't bad, but the only videogame movie I'm looking forward to right now is the Warcraft one.

Haha, Bioshock get him and SotC gets the much better director of the super critically acclaimed Chun-Li movie. Videogame gods, you are dead to me now.

Anyway this movie is gonna need a lot of gore and only little verbinsky, if you catch my drift.

Disliked The Ring. Loved the Pirates Trilogy. Bioshock was just ok. I've mixed feelings overall on this one.

nova18:

As long as he doesnt try to throw in some pirate ship battles in Rapture :)

Actually, this needs to happen!

Pirates is losing Verbinsky so he can do a video game movie? Where's my musket, i need to talk to someone about this!

BioShock seems like it would be a fantastic IP for a film (much like Fallout) - that being said, die hard fans are likely going to be disappointing when it doesn't match up exactly to the game.

RebelRising:
I can't believe I'm saying this...but the one name that really comes to mind when I think of who should direct Bioshock is:

M. Night Shymalan

Although Gore Verbinski isn't bad, but the only videogame movie I'm looking forward to right now is the Warcraft one.

I can't agree there. I haven't liked any of Shymalan's films since The Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was *ok* but he seems to have gone downhill since his debut.

Broken Wings:
I'm not sure if calling the new pirates a sure thing is quite accurate, how many movie series have still been good by the 4th movie?

Are you implying that the second and third Pirates movies weren't complete turdbaskets?

Hooray for the underwater dystopian cash-cow..why can't they just leave things alone?Leave them alone!

Bioshock will be a lot more difficult to convert to the big screen. What would be better would be a big hollywood movie showing how Rapture got into the state it was in game. That way they can have a story which you don't need to play the game to understand but those that have get something extra special from it.

Symbol:

RebelRising:

M. Night Shymalan

I can't agree there. I haven't liked any of Shymalan's films since The Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was *ok* but he seems to have gone downhill since his debut.

I'm not saying he hasn't been in a rut, but it just seems like the sort of movie he could do well, what with the dark atmosphere and...well...

WHAT A TWIST!

Some GOOD news about a videogame movie? What is the world coming to?

This will be fun.

I am guessing the movie won't end with a boss being stabbed with syringes repeatedly by little girls. :(
I do look forward to seeing ridiculously cool looking big daddy fights, but if they through any romance subplot at all, "Bang, Zoom straight to the moon." I really hope that they understand that the gaming demographic that played Bioshock WEREN'T INTO ROMANCE MOVIES. I swear every movie has these and it just bugs me. In Bioshock you are by yourself in an underwater dystopia surrounded by people who have gone insane, and creepy little girls protected by giant people in diving suits with a drill for a hand. I personally will say that System Shock would make a cooler movie, but their are too many movies with evil AI constructs apparently. You also couldn't fit all that the game had in it into the span of a movie.

Its a movie based off a video game, I will assume it to be sub-par until proven otherwise.

Well, if anything, the Pirates movies were visually interesting and impressive, so BioShock should be too. I'm confident that it'll be pretty good.

TheBluesader:

The game itself doesn't need to be made into a movie, but I have a feeling the backstory, the events leading up to when Bioshock takes place, that has the potential to be made into a movie.

I find this news very shocking. I mean, a FOURTH Pirates movie?

Although it shouldn't cost much to make another one. They can just take all the cut scenes from the first 3 and randomly combine them to make a movie that makes as much sense as the last two.

CUnk:
I find this news very shocking. I mean, a FOURTH Pirates movie?

Although it shouldn't cost much to make another one. They can just take all the cut scenes from the first 3 and randomly combine them to make a movie that makes as much sense as the last two.

While that made me laugh, I wonder why people are so harsh one number 2; 3 was very inferior, I will agree wholeheartedly, but number was by any standard a decent follow-up.

Although nothing beats the restraint and wit of the first one.

TheBluesader:
and those jaw-droppingly horrible Pirates movies one second longer, my head is going to cave in.

There's a special section of hell reserved for people like you.

Pirates of the Caribbean just suffered the Matrix phenomenon. The first movie had a great narrative, looked and sounded awesome, had great characters and was iconic. It was expected to fail, and somehow did incredibly well. In both cases, the movie revived or brought forth a genre that no one paid much attention to previously.

The second and third movie, filmed at the same time, were convoluted, too intertwined for cinema, were only watchable because of the main character and ramped up visuals, and somehow managed to be a failure in spite of the many successes of the first movie.

PedroSteckecilo:
Cool, with Verbinski and an Oscar Winning Screenwriter on side I maintain that this, and possibly Prince of Persia, have the best possible chances of being decent videogame movies.

I'm skeptical of PoP myself. I think it's going to be more Prince of Persia 2008 than Sands of Time. They even made 2008 Prince look more like Jake Gylennhal

I think this could be good if they focused on the creation and downfall of Rapture and develop a very tragic story to it all and not just make the obvious move and make 2 hours of electricuting mutants.

CapnJack:

Hey, HEY! Reloaded was okay!

...Too bad there was never Matrix 3. There wasn't. Really. There was that horrible "Matrix: Two Scenes + D class action movie!" crap.

Broken Wings:

Batman. The Joel Schumacher ones are not films but forms of torture. This means that the fourth Batman film was not Batman and Robin but The Dark Knight (some would argue that Batman Forever is a film (barely) making Batman Begins the fourth). I will admit to being wrong if somebody can prove that Batman and Robin was a film but I don't believe it's possible.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)