Who's the Baddest Sci-Fi Species of All Time?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Who's the Baddest Sci-Fi Species of All Time?

The sci-fi genre has assembled a remarkable rogues gallery over the decades and from across all those years evil, Paste Magazine has put together a list of the Top 11 Villainous Species in All of Science Fiction.

These species represent the worst of the worst, the lowest of the low, the baddest of the bad: Alien races who want to enslave, destroy and/or eat the planet, the galaxy or just whoever they can get their hands on. Leading off the list are the Daleks, the Doctor's most famous enemy, one of which was recently discovered, in part at least, in an English pond. Cylons both old and new feature on the list, ranking high for wiping out the 12 Colonies not just once, but twice. I'm particularly pleased to see the Goa'uld almost make the list, their hilarious incompetence as galaxy-conquerors outweighed by their even funnier scenery-chewing in Stargate SG-1.

Some of the species on the list are more firmly-entrenched in pop culture consciousness than others but all should be at least recognizable to the average sci-fi fan. I'm a bit disappointed by a few oversights; the sci-fi nerd in me laments the absence of the Moties and why the Colossi are included but the Xenomorphs aren't is a complete mystery. Still, that's the beauty of these lists. They give us something to argue about. So check it out for yourself and tell us where they went wrong!

flood beat the collosi?

meh im not much of a sci fi fan anyways so i dont really have an opinion other than the games ones :)

I might have agreed with the Borg being #1, if Voyager didn't completely nerf them before wiping them out... :P

The Xenomorphs.

Before I even opened the link to the article I thought of the Goa'uld :D I'm glad The Escapist recognized the correct #1 with the image they chose. Defeating them in Season 8 was the worst thing to ever happen to that show.

I don't know what they were thinking to put the Wraith over them.

Least deserving IMO: Anything mindless (ie flood and reavers). They just aren't that interesting. They kill stuff, we get it. The interesting part, and the true villan, is of course the force behind the mindless ones.

CyberKnight:
I might have agreed with the Borg being #1, if Voyager didn't completely nerf them before wiping them out... :P

http://xkcd.com/566/
See the last panels for a solution to this problem :)

Not even a mention of the bugs (see Starship Troopers)! How can this be! Noooooooo!

True, but for Firefly the villains are humans. So it is tough to count humans as another race. All I can see the reason for them being on there even though the rank is debatable. I don't get how the flood get on there since there the space zombies. It isn't even a villain. It just trying to survive. Tough to say that surviving as a count for being a villain. If that is the case then humans are a villain to food. Which doesn't make much sense.

nah - got to be the Primes (aliens from Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained novels. effectively one massive consciousness that wants to be the ONLY life form in existence...)

Daleks should be higher up the list, in my opinion.

Also, what the hell are the Colossi doing on there? They aren't even vaguely sci-fi!

Not only do the colopssi not berlong on there Id put the Mandalorains before the Sith as a race. Yes the sith are nasty...but they havent done the genocide thing to 7 races/species

I don't understand the Colossi either. But they should have included the Reapers, in my opinion.

Flood? Really the Flood?

And wait? No Xenomorph, the aracnid from Starship trooper or the Tyranid from WH40k and even the Aliens from War of the Worlds should be in there?

And the colossi? Wtf thats more fantasy than Sci-Fi....

Fail lis is fail...

Borg=pwn

end of story

We are Borg. You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!

Yautja

Where are the Predators?

I will also raise the factor of

WHERE ARE OUR BUGS/NIDS!!!!

you could have put the Kilrathi (not sure if i spelt it right) from Wing Comander in XD
if you got captured you either were clawed to death or vapourised with a laser :p

again for those who missed

and for gods sakes the SITH arent ALEINS!!!

Kohr-Ah

After thousands of years being used as slaves, they want you and your species dead simply because you may, at some point, pose a potential risk to them. They will not be enslaved again. They've killed off half the sentient life in the galaxy.

The Reapers definitely

That's a debatable list. The sith aren't species, it's more of a religion or a way of life. The Colossi shouldn't even be on that list. Also the Reavers are just mad humans (though extremely cruel).

VitusPrime:

you could have put the Kilrathi (not sure if i spelt it right) from Wing Comander in XD
if you got captured you either were clawed to death or vapourised with a laser :p

Well some SIth are alien like?

But yeah no Bugs/nids and Xenomorph makes this list BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

oliveira8:

VitusPrime:

Well some SIth are alien like?

But yeah no Bugs/nids and Xenomorph makes this list BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD this list is!

If they are gonna look at Halo, the Covenant were more "villainous" than the flood, according to the qualifications to make the list. How many worlds did the covenant glass in the halo universe?

by bad do u mean... not good kinda bad or very good bad? like bad-ass, or horrible

So anyway i'd say any of the random spicies of animal that sci-fi channel mixes with a human on a monthly bases. like shark people, bat people, bird-people, and so on.

Sith don't really deserve the 2nd spot, they are evil though, very evil.

The Colossi are neither villainous nor Sci-Fi.

Where were the Decepticons, or the Sharkticons and the other races of robots which inhabit Unicron?

What about the Necrons, Dark Eldar and Chaos Marines? Those are also a lot more Sci-Fi and villainous than Colossi, who are just neutral animals in a fantasy world.

Since they're also including entries from literature, where are the Wamphyrii or Mordri?

Finally since the list is title the 11 Best Villainous Species in all of Sci-Fi..., how could in not mention the species from the film Species, it's quite obvious really.

And why 11? Is that some homage to Spinal Tap or just a dumb arbitrary number? Surely a top 10 or top 20 would have made more sense...but then again, not a lot about this list does make any sense.

um warhammer 40k CHAOS SPACE MARINES! they killed their own brothers cause they were told to......

Pierson's Puppeteers, from Larry Niven's Known Space stories. You have to love a race that is so evil and smart that they manifest it as being extraordinarily cowardly and paranoid.

Similarly, his Slavers are also cool, in concept anyway; we never get to meet more than one, but it is a cool idea to make a species that so overwhelmingly powerful when it comes to controlling others minds that it is, in fact, rather dimwitted itself. Who needs smarts when you can effortlessly bend others to your will?

The sith aren't a race of beings, it's more like a way of life. *Facepalm* And how did the daleks get so low on that list?

The fuck are the colossi there for!? They are not even sci fi, thats fantasy...and the sith!? they are an organization consisting of many races, not just one so they are out too. Those two being there and maybe even the reavers (cannibalistic humans?) pretty much make this list incomplete and crap.

UltramarinesFTW:
um warhammer 40k CHAOS SPACE MARINES! they killed their own brothers cause they were told to......

Are they really a species though. From 40K I would have to say Tyranids and Necrons.

But this is actually a good list I'm glad the Goa'uld got in as people seem to forget how supervilliany they are. Sure they ruled for thousands of years only to get beat by MacGyver and the cast of Farscape, but still.

Slightly off topic does anyone else think that the bad guy in the move 300 was a Goa'uld?

The Colosi? What the hell, they aren't even sci-fi....Xenomporphs and Predators should have been on the list, although the borg are a good #1

Very poorly thought out, IMO. Next time, there should be two larger lists: organizations and species. The Borg are more like an organization, the Sith are a very poor choice for the list for the same reason, etc.

thenumberthirteen:

Slightly off topic does anyone else think that the bad guy in the move 300 was a Goa'uld?

LOL he did remind me of Apophis now that you mention it...even had the demonic voice. Now that I think about it, the Goa'uld are a perfect explanation for the Persian empire!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here