Squeenix to Take Over Eidos Tomorrow

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Squeenix to Take Over Eidos Tomorrow

The Square-Enix takeover of Tomb Raider publisher Eidos has been sanctioned and will go into effect tomorrow morning.

Cloud, meet Lara. Lara, Cloud.

The JRPG giant was first rumored to be interested in the troubled British publisher way back in December, and with 85% of them voting to proceed.

Today, a court has approved the takeover, Eidos announced:

"The Board of Eidos is pleased to announce that the Court sanctioned the Scheme at the Court Hearing held today and that it also confirmed the associated Capital Reduction at that hearing... As previously announced, the Scheme is expected to become effective on 22 April 2009 following the delivery of the Court Order to the Registrar of Companies and the registration by him of such Court Order."

Dealings in Eidos shares via the London Stock Exchange have been suspended, and will be officially canceled at 8:00 AM (London time) tomorrow morning.

The acquisition of Eidos is generally seen to be part of an effort by Square-Enix - known for its JRPG franchises like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest (or Dragon Warrior), and Kingdom Hearts - to branch out and establish a stronger base amongst Western gamers. Earlier this year, Square-Enix announced that it would be making its games available on Valve's popular Steam service. Also, they just unveiled a Geometry Wars clone.

When all is said and done, this will put franchises like Tomb Raider, Hitman and Deus Ex under the Square-Enix banner - Lara Croft, Agent 47, and JC Denton having luncheon with Square's various androgynous and underage heroes, so to speak.

Well, if the next Tomb Raider features Lara in an outfit made entirely out of leather belts, we'll know who to blame.

(If you imagine the tigers in the image all have gigantic hair and swords, then it's almost like a political cartoon - true story!)

(CVG)

Hope they bring back Anachronox! That was a great game. Anywho, Square better be really to take on losses for a few years, as Eidos never really recovered from completely from Daikatana and the sinking of the 'HMS John Romero'.

Snoochy boocheys, Square.

I wonder what they plan on doing with it, though.

Get your Tifa Lockheart, Celes and Lara Croft fanfictions ready all! Just like the ark just look away! Look away...unless you are looking for busty goodness :P

Griever18:

Put it in the cardboard forget about fedding them until its too late?

Doug:

Griever18:

Put it in the cardboard forget about fedding them until its too late?

Wouldn't surprise me.

Now this could be an interesting combo. Personally I can't see Lara Croft engaging random battles and using ATB. Nor Cloud pressing x not to die.
Squeenix always do gorgeous cutscenes though, I hope this shows through in new originally-Eidos games.

I did imagine the tigers in the image all had gigantic hair and swords and it was almost like a political cartoon - how devilishly clever!

Somehow Laura is going to get very busty...well, bustier then normal.
And she's also going to have a bunch of emo-style soliloquies that have her painfully remembering past loved ones or lovers and how she must overcome them in order to do what is right!

I'm suddenly thinking of the Japanese version of Strong Bad.

'...Correct me if I'm wrong but are you asking for a challenge??'

Doug:
Hope they bring back Anachronox! That was a great game. Anywho, Square better be really to take on losses for a few years, as Eidos never really recovered from completely from Daikatana and the sinking of the 'HMS John Romero'.

GAAAAH! MY EYES!

But seriously, don't bring that up again, for all our sakes.

To be on topic: This could be good or bad. If Squeenix can get things at Eidos under wraps, perhaps we'll see some good stuff come out of this alliance.

You know I can't really tell if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

This actually makes me hopeful for Eidos. Plus, one of the few takeovers where the consumed company isn't going kicking and screaming. They're RELIEVED.

Yet more pointless bullshit that isn't Hitman 5.

Frank_Sinatra_:
You know I can't really tell if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

i can't realy care

Hitman + RPGs = win?

It could work...Turn-based stealth gaming...it has potential...

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

What's shit joined with shit?

Meta-shit?

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

Where has it been seen before? No one would have expected Puzzle Quest to be good, either.
Give me a turn-based stealth game that sucked and I'll concede defeat.

Something good could result, or this could be even worse than before. I think Square Enix may just be able to put a fresh spin on it, so long as they don't try to change it too much.

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

Remind me never to say this again, but "Agreed with Indigo."
Turn-based "anything-that-isn't-Pokemon" is an abomination unto mankind.

Unless you're into that sort of thing, I guess.
Even Pokemon would be better in real-time...

Onyx Oblivion:

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

Where has it been seen before? No one would have expected Puzzle Quest to be good, either.

Its a contradiction of terms. Stealth is high tension, turn based low tension. If an enemy see's me, being able to dart away while they can't move is against the whole point. Similarly, being unable to move while they're moving closer is wrong too.

Then there's Hitman, which is all about blending in with your surroundings rather than finding cover. It requires precise timing.

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

Its a contradiction of terms. Stealth is high tension, turn based low tension. If an enemy see's me, being able to dart away while they can't move is against the whole point. Similarly, being unable to move while they're moving closer is wrong too.

Then there's Hitman, which is all about blending in with your surroundings rather than finding cover. It requires precise timing.

Or guns.

Anyway I hope this brings life to Deus Ex 3, they did say they were working on that didn't they?

So I guess this means at some point a Tomb Raider that doesn't suck may eventually come out.

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

Or guns.

My ways more fun.

Zand88:
What's shit joined with shit?

Meta-shit?

Well, they did manage to put out (I'm guessing by sheer fluke) a handful of good games - Anachronox and Deus Ex spring to mind - although they managed to muck up Deus Ex 2, and never finished the story of Anachronox. Blood cliffhanger ending (imagine the ending to Halo 2, but Halo 3 never got made).

Great now British games will insanely long cut scenes too.

I like it. Anything that brings us closer to more Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy is a good thing in my opinion. And Tomb Raider could get even more interesting, if they play it right.

The question is now, will Square get stupid and demand command of all projects? If they do, this could get very sour, very fast. They aren't as good at Tomb Raider as Eidos is, though, equally, Eidos isn't as good at Kingdom Hearts as Square is.

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:

Indigo_Dingo:

Onyx Oblivion:
Hitman + RPGs = win?

No it doesn't.

i suppose, but it could be the next choclate of peanut butter. After all, stealth is about planning, as are many turn based RPG battle systems. But Square isn't likely to use the Hitman license for anything in particular. I wanna see them to actually release Just Cause 2. The first one was decent fun despite its share of problems and the second one was supposed to be out by now, hopefully solving the problems.

What I wanna know is, how are we going to pronounce this newly formed alliance?

Squeeni-o-dos?

I III II X4:

Squeeni-o-dos?

Eidos, a division of Square Enix. This isn't a merger, this is Eidos being taken over.

Indigo_Dingo:

I III II X4:

Squeeni-o-dos?

Eidos, a division of Square Enix. This isn't a merger, this is Eidos being taken over.

Well we can still enjoy ourselves.

I kind of like Eisqueedos.

NOOOOoooooOOoOOoOOOOoooooOOOoO, Eidos Almost had a good game once.

Indigo_Dingo:

I III II X4:

Squeeni-o-dos?

Ohh...that, I didn't know.

Leorex:
NOOOOoooooOOoOOoOOOOoooooOOOoO, Eidos Almost had a good game once.

"Almost"? You show proper respect in front of Blood money, lest shoot you with fireworks and feed you to the sharks.

Well, at this point, is it done now? Its the next day, after all, 9:10 EST.
Besides, Square will likely let the devs at Eidos do their own thing. I quite liked the demo for the newest Tomb Raider. Didn't like Blood Money, but then again, I've never really enjoyed the Hitman games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here