4chan Founder Wins Time 100 Poll

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

4chan Founder Wins Time 100 Poll

The results of the third annual Time 100 Poll are in and the irresistible force that is the internet has declared the winner to be none other than Moot, the founder of 4chan.

Moot, real name Christopher Poole, beat out poll finalists including basketball star Kobe Bryant, conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh, U.S. President Barack Obama and a host of other popular and political figures from around the world. While he came in second place in number of total votes behind Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, he nonetheless dominated the poll with an average rating of 90, compared to overall second-place finisher Anwar Ibrahim, the Malaysian opposition leader, who managed an average rating of 47.

Of course, this is an internet poll, which means there's plenty of room for discussion, debate and wild, profane flaming. There will no doubt be many who question the selection of the man who launched 4chan as the world's most influential person but Time Managing Editor Josh Tyrangiel points out that the choice is no more or less valid than the selection of Nintendo genius Shigeru Miyamoto in 2007 or Korean pop sensation Rain in 2006. "I would remind anyone who doubts the results that this is an Internet poll," he said. "Doubting the results is kind of the point."

Unleashed on the public in October 2003, 4chan is an imageboard forum responsible for most memes and "internet in-jokes" that have made the rounds online over the past few years. 4chan is perhaps best known as the home of "/b/," the random image board infamous for its no-rules policy, anarchic environment and all-around viciousness. The site is also strongly associated with Anonymous, the fluid, shifting internet subculture dedicated to the principle that "none of us are as cruel as all of us."

So congratulations and lulz to Moot for his world-beating victory. Truly, the internet has spoken.

(photo)

Malygris:

So congratulations and lulz to Moot for his world-beating victory. Truly, the internet has spoken.

"And so it was declared "Many Lulz will be had," and so they were, for the grand-creator, Moot, has been given honor and recognition."

Sorry, went pseudo-biblical there for a second. Anyway, this is... surprising, but I find it even more surprising that we do have information on the guy at all.

That it some one get me off this crazy planet.

If you'll excuse me, I think I have a Big No coming with a vengeance. That disgusting, disturbing waste of time that is that abominably stupid website should never receive recognition. Ever.

Why does this remind me of March Mayhem?

Ranooth:

Oooo burn!

*must... resist... don't... say... lol what*

/slaps himself

Ranooth:

It's going to be like Turbine and Bioware all over again, but with more swearing and more trolls

I'm too surprised, confused and amused to come up with anything meaningful to say about this...

Well yeah, much like Rick Astley winning whatever award it was, if you let the internet decide, then people will take the piss. It's what they do. Anonymity + power= douchebag. Tis the way it has been for many a year.

He's very influencial, and he has a lot to answer for. From what I've heard his creation is a portal to hell.

If it was a a 4-chan, ever thought that there could have been allot of alt accounts made to vote in his favor.

He's got all the kids at 4chan behind him so you never know he just might have plans for world domination in mind.

RAKtheUndead:
If you'll excuse me, I think I have a Big No coming with a vengeance. That disgusting, disturbing waste of time that is that abominably stupid website should never receive recognition. Ever.

Well said. 4chan does not deserve this kind of publicity.

IceStar100:
That it some one get me off this crazy planet.

You can come with me. I have rocketship, and supplies. All we need now the right launch equipment and soon Mars shall be mine!

Mine!

Evertw:
If it was a a 4-chan, ever thought that there could have been allot of alt accounts made to vote in his favor.

I'm pretty sure TIME made votes based on IPs, and he also got an average rating double the second place position.

Well that guy is more important in the grand scheme of things than most people.

I need to check out 4Chan. Maybe then I'd understand the hate.

He has to answer for crimes against humanity.
With the creation of mega-troll, supermegatrolls(immune to perma-ban), and Boxxy, he must be sent to Guantanamo and eat THE famous sandwich.

He who lives by the internet, lulz by the internet.

Anachronism:

RAKtheUndead:

Well said. 4chan does not deserve this kind of publicity.

Even worse, guess what sort of article will come out of TIME turning their ink cannons loose on 4chan? It won't be a pleasant article on how the Internet builds communities, let me tell you...

-- Steve

PirateKing:

From what I hear, you shouldn't if you value what innocence you have left.

NoMoreSanity:

PirateKing:

If you've played Doom 3 and Fatal Frame at the same time, in the dark of course, you would gather some information of what 4chan really is.

ohhh lord, parents reading that Time article (if it gets written) may actually visit /b/....I am waiting for the simultaneous head explosion that will occur for those who can't comprehend "what the hell did i just see?, garrblgeallreareaerear BOOM!!"

PirateKing:

Just remember; what has been seen, cannot be unseen, no matter how hard you try.

DigitalJedl:

NoMoreSanity:

PirateKing:

If you've played Doom 3 and Fatal Frame at the same time, in the dark of course, you would gather some information of what 4chan really is.

Well I have played Doom 3.
But if I hate it without experiencing it then I'll be no better than the Parents Television Council. And I can't let that happen.

Just for fun, read the first letters of the first names of the top 21 ranked people.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1883644_1886141,00.html

Vauban:

PirateKing:

Just remember; what has been seen, cannot be unseen, no matter how hard you try.

I'll keep that in mind.

4chan is rated by some as the fourth largest forum on the internet.... Time runs an internet poll/popularity contest.... m00t wins.... no one here sees a connection....?

DigitalJedl:

NoMoreSanity:

PirateKing:

Well I, being the person that barely shuddered during Dead Space, and only found true horror from Pyramid Head from SH2, I don't think all the rape and shit on 4chan would startle me that much.

Vauban:

PirateKing:

Far too true. I went to the /b/ board once to see what it was all about and I will never go there again.

PirateKing:

Just avoid \b. It's apparently not a place for most civil human beings, according to the dormies I speak with :D

But yeah, grats to 4chan dude. Not that I care much, but hey, it's popular in some crowds... And it can be useful for some people.

NoMoreSanity:

DigitalJedl:

NoMoreSanity:

PirateKing:

Well I, being the person that barely shuddered during Dead Space, and only found true horror from Pyramid Head from SH2, I don't think all the rape and shit on 4chan would startle me that much.

/bow /bow /bow

Anyway, Dead Space had it's moments when I jumped. But I prefer psychological horror, y'know, the one that's actually terrifying? Your Silent Hill example is perfect. (/bows to Japanese)

My only fear of 4chan is that one day, they will come to YouTube and establish rule. Boxxy tried, she failed. That's one down, who's next?

NoMoreSanity:

PirateKing:

Indeed.
EDIT: Crap, it ain't working!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook