Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To WiiWare

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV, is coming to WiiWare in nine separate episodes.

Revealed by the ESRB a little over a month ago, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV originally released on mobile phones in Japan, has been officially revealed by Square-Enix. The series will be released in nine separate episodes on Nintendo's WiiWare service.

Taking place "many years" since the end of Final Fantasy IV, the series begins with FFIV protagonists Cecil and Rosa living peacefully with their son, Prince Ceodore, when the "Lunarian Moon" appears in the sky and the world is thrown into turmoil as monsters appear. Saving of the day commences, with FFIV characters showing up left and right along the way.

Gameplay will be traditional 2D Final Fantasy RPG style, with a couple twists. There's something called the "Band System," which is a combination attack that lets two or more characters do one powerful attack in exchange for MP from all the characters involved. "They can be learned by searching for them during battle," says Square, so I'm guessing some mix-and-match trial-and-error's involved here.

Also new in battles is the element of the moon, as each moon phase "alters the physical and magical attack powers for both player characters and enemies, forcing the player to change battle strategies."

And, most interestingly, the product information for the game lists that it supports up from 1-4 players. Multiplayer battles, maybe?

No word on release dates or how many episodes will be out at once, but the After Years official site lists three entries under the "Tales" section, with each entry seemingly providing a synopsis of an episode, so I'm wagering we'll see the series launch with the first third of its story available.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years was originally rumored for Xbox Live Arcade, but according to Square, it'll be available "only" on WiiWare.

...Ceodore?!

Let this game be put as an example as to WHY there shouldn't be a sequal to Final fantasy games. Namely Final Fantasy VII.

EDIT: Sidebar. Is it just me or has Square-enix really been releasing a lot of games using wiiware?

Space invaders strike back
A defender like game
and now Final fantasy 4 sequal.

Crazy isn't it? Square-enix doing things under the radar for being called rpg makers only now.

Keane Ng:

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV, is coming to WiiWare in nine separate episodes.

You had me fading at Episodic, and lost me completely at WiiWare. Damnit, a full sequel or bust people, and make it for the only console out there that currently HAS Final Fantasy 4 on it (DS for the slower people).

Hankage:
...Ceodore?!

Well, his dad's name is Cecil.

No, just no. Way to ruin one of your good games Square.

maybe it'll be good to bad i hardly waist money on the online channels

*sigh*

I weep for you, my sweet Final Fantasy. For you have contracted FF7 syndrome.

*facepalm*

Hey, Squeenix, whatever happened to that other Final Fantasy game with the X in front of the IV?

Lunarian Moon. Seriously?

Do they combat it by summoning the Solarian Sun?

Oh wait. SPOILERS. Ugh.

Erana:
Hey, Squeenix, whatever happened to that other Final Fantasy game with the X in front of the IV?

They need to finish the one with the X and three I's first.

Tenmar:
Let this game be put as an example as to WHY there shouldn't be a sequal to Final fantasy games. Namely Final Fantasy VII.

EDIT: Sidebar. Is it just me or has Square-enix really been releasing a lot of games using wiiware?

Space invaders strike back
A defender like game
and now Final fantasy 4 sequal.

Crazy isn't it? Square-enix doing things under the radar for being called rpg makers only now.

S-E is trying to get rid of the image of a single genre company AFAIK.

They also made FFCC My Life As A King and announced the sequel FFCC My Life As A Dark Lord. BTW, Crystal Defenders is a Tower Defense clone, not a Defender clone (Defender is an ancient sidescrolling shmup).

I wonder how they'll handle pricing on these episodes, AFAIK the minimum price on WiiWare is 500 points, at nine eps that would come out at 45€ for the full game, even a retail DS game is cheaper. Maybe they'll reduce the number of episodes? Or maybe they'll make the later eps DLC as with SIGE? Thern again I wouldn't put it past them to charge an insane price...

Either way I think I'm more interested in Crystal Bearers than a sequel to an FF I have yet to play.

so they most likely gonna want 45 dollars for a that shouldn't be more than than around 30 $ nintendo's pricing policy is bs. they want 5 bucks for the nes version of dig dug yet ms sells the better arcade version for $ 2.50 . come on! i generally happy with the vc pricing. but when nintendo is more greedy with their pricing than than ms.[which suprised me because ms is known for their greed.] ms is general more expensive. the ms pricing ranges from around 2 to 20 bucks. why can't nintendo do this. are they gonna go out of bussiness over losing 3 bucks. they could prove me wrong. some games are not worth 5 bucks. they want 5 bucks for a game like mario bros. i walk down the street someone hands a copy of mario bros. i open my window someone throws me a copy of mario bros. why would pay 5 bucks for it. if they were selling it for 2 to 2.50 bucks that would be a reasonable.

good thing i finished this on a rom a while back >.>

TsunamiWombat:
*facepalm*

*Grabs wombat and facepalms self with it*

Ok, I've never played FF4. But having the sequel come out only for WiiWare? NO. JUST NO.

LeonHellsvite:

How was it?

Quaidis:

LeonHellsvite:

How was it?

It was okay, It sure as hell didn't live up to ffIV though >.>

though i didnt like the "return" of my favorite character

LeonHellsvite:

Quaidis:

LeonHellsvite:

How was it?

It was okay, It sure as hell didn't live up to ffIV though >.>

though i didnt like the "return" of my favorite character

Ignoring the return of 'your favorite character who shall remain nameless right now' and the first game, would it be alright to play as a stand-alone? Is it a passable rpg?

Khell_Sennet:
Damnit, a full sequel or bust people, and make it for the only console out there that currently HAS Final Fantasy 4 on it (DS for the slower people).

Actually FF 2/4 has been on, SNES, PS, GBA, and DS.

Eric the Orange:

Khell_Sennet:
Damnit, a full sequel or bust people, and make it for the only console out there that currently HAS Final Fantasy 4 on it (DS for the slower people).

Actually FF 2/4 has been on, SNES, PS, GBA, and DS.

Missed the point. FF4 is discontinued for all but the DS. As the DS is still available for sale (none of the other are, except backstock and that bastardized "PSOne"), and only the DS copy of FF4 is available for retail sale, my point was that it only makes sense to release FF4's expansion on DS. It is just as retarded making the expansion for the Wii as it is them cranking out new copies of the SNES cartridge.

CEODORE?!

Oh Square, when you quit beating around the bush and give the fanboys the flippin FF7 remake already, then you can move on to greater things hopefully.

Wait....you mean Final Fantasy V?

=P

Keane Ng:

Also new in battles is the element of the moon, as each moon phase "alters the physical and magical attack powers for both player characters and enemies, forcing the player to change battle strategies."

So they're finally stealing ideas from SMT.

Yippie! They found another game in the franchise to milk to death!

The only FF game that needs a sequel is 5. Best battle system of the older ones.

I get it Hankage. Ceodore.

It's a... unique name, I'll admit. But it's sadly not unique in the good way.

This game took one step forward (going back to 2D) and one step back (being a fcking sequel!)

Why do people keep making RPGs episodic? Jebus, who wants to keep losing his or her equipment, experience, items, etc every few dungeons?

Why do they make ANYTHING episodic.

As one of the cash-carrying customers, I refuse to pay monthly (or daily) for any game, film, music, or application. No subscription-service software, no pay-radio, no movie rentals, no Pay-per-view. If I buy something, I want to be able to watch, play, or use it as many times as I wish, for one set price. Name the price, I will either buy it or not based on how much you ask, and that's the end of it.

Similar to that, I will not pay for something in pieces. Not to be mistaken for having to pay for something in installments, such as a car or house. But I would not buy the car one component at a time. A steering wheel today, next payday I get the muffler and one tire. Yeah f'ing right! Games I feel the same about. I want to be able to play the game, the ENTIRE game, at my own pace, and not at whatever pace they release the pieces of it in. Fuck episodic games, it's bad enough waiting season to season on TV shows.

Hankage:
CEODORE?!

Whats wrong with that name? So Cecil Named his kid after his big brother (Golbez' real name was Ceodore), granted it's a rather awkward name but come on this is Square we are talking about, where most of the recent games protagonists are names after weather.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here