Scientists Extract 'Blood' From Dinosaur Bones

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Scientists Extract 'Blood' From Dinosaur Bones

A group of researchers at North Carolina State University have extracted a mix of proteins and structures that they believe once constituted a dinosaur's blood.

More than four years ago, paleontologist Mary Schweitzer published a report in which she claimed to have found soft tissue in the broken, fossilized leg bone of a Tyrannosaurus.

Met with a series of harumphs and cries for further proof from her colleagues, Schweitzer and her team inspected the similarly preserved leg of an 80-million-year-old hadrosaur, hoping to find at least the same sort of collagen they discovered in the T-rex leg.

Instead, and much to their pleasant surprise, the team discovered proteins including "haemoglobin, elastin and laminin" -- all of which offer a much more intricate view of an animal's physical characteristics and genomic structure than simple collagen.

Before Schweitzer's research it was widely believed that these organic structures simply couldn't survive the rigors of fossilization.

The researchers hope their discovery will offer new insight into the evolution of our prehistoric forebears. Hopefully that offers some comfort when your family is being eaten by a pack of cloned velociraptors.

Welcome, to Jurassic Park.

holy crap, time to brush up on my velociraptor survival plans....

uppitycracker:

Indeed. XKCD should have a good solution up in a couple days.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was I can't wait to go to Jurassic Park.

Agayek:

uppitycracker:

that's my first source of information!

WE MUST STOP THEM FROM UNLEASHING RAPTOR ARMAGEDDON

QUICK SOMEONE GRAB THE SHOTGUNS I'LL CONTACT THE MAFIA

I was frankly amazed that they were even able to do this in the first place; it's nearly miraculous.

'welcome, to jurassic park' Haha- my thoughts exactly.

So, when can we expect a Tyrannosaurus rex then?

In other news, KFC Colonel-looking British gentelmen invests millions on buying a small island and shipping miles of electric fencing to said island in a bid to, and we quote:

"Totally not recreate the dinosaurs in a bid to make a theme-park... Seriously."

Agayek:

uppitycracker:

those goddamn doors are gona be the death of me

This is gonna' take hunting to a whole new level *pumps shotgun*.

TMAN10112:

"Clever girl." -Raptor pounce-

Holy shit, will someone make sure the magnetic locks are all working? And don't let anyone with a can of whipped cream into the facility.

besides the fact that the bone is from a hadrosaur (aka herbivore, probably a Corythasaurus, or something like that), I'm sure that scientists are not stupid enough to clone dinosaurs to adult age.

woot NCSU, and i would love a real jurassic park, that would be epic

irishdelinquent:
besides the fact that the bone is from a hadrosaur (aka herbivore, probably a Corythasaurus, or something like that), I'm sure that scientists are not stupid enough to clone dinosaurs to adult age.

That's what they said about InGen! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

So what I say is this: we get a group of fellow gamers who are semi-athletic, train for a few weeks in an outdoor's survival/hunting/trapping/shooting session. We then land on an island filled with these beautiful marvels...then duke it out.

Tank207:

TMAN10112:

"Clever girl." -Raptor pounce-

He never should have died.
Especially because he didn't in the book.

But really, he was too bad-ass.

Edit: On topic, I'd say this is really very neat. I always liked dinosaurs!

Dinosaur cavalry anyone?

Sooo... When will we be seeing them cloned and placed in giant zoos on abandoned jungle islands?

Too funny

I'm buying a crate of TNT and another crate full of moonshine. I'd like to see those pesky dinos get me then! Actually, I wouldn't... but you know what I mean.

What's that sound?

Oh shit, a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

When the dinosaur apocalypse comes, we'll simply sacrifice /b/ as a tribute to save the rest of us. Although since 'sacrifice' means giving up something that means something to you, would /b/ really count as a sacrifice? Anyway, being serious, I'm kind of interested in this and it would be really great if they could use current technology to perhaps clone dinosaur organs and such (not a full dinosaur, too dangerous, we'd need better control, plus current technology isn't quite that advanced yet as far as I'm aware). Cloning said organs and so on, and studying the genetic patterns of dinosaurs could be really useful in further prehistoric research. That said, they could always go and find an anomaly and capture a living dinosaur... (if you understand the reference you win a cookie)

DamienHell:
Welcome, to Jurassic Park.

/thread

I can't wait to see my first dinosaur.

How about this time, the cloners don't let a mole into the facility who shuts down the power, or put more dinos on a second island, or transport any of them on a ship to the mainland (the third movie does not exist). So long as they don't do any of that, bring on Jurassic Park.

*picks up totally legal nuke that wasn't bought from Russians*

Im ready. *readies other more practical weapons and activates magnetic locks*

Ok lets load the shotguns and go for some dino hunting

uppitycracker:

oh yeah...that's freaky (and cool)

uppitycracker:

DOORKNOBS!!!!

Why does everyone want to hunt the dinosaurs.
I for one, am siding with them when the dinosaur resistance comes to the battlefield.

Oh and you don't want to ride into battle on a pterodactyl? That's what I thought.

I hate to be a buzz-kill, but there's no DNA. No T Rex for you!

Wow. Guess you really can get blood from a stone.

Excuse my ignorance but why is this important research for scientists to be doing?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here