Unopened Earthbound Goes For $1000 on eBay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Unopened Earthbound Goes For $1000 on eBay

Them Earthbound fans be crazy: An unopened copy of the quirky SNES JRPG fetched a hefty price on eBay - over $1000.

What would you pay to get your hands on a legitimate copy of a rare game? Original copies of Final Fantasy VII or Suikoden II have been known to sell for hundreds of dollars on sites like eBay, and those are usually used copies, too. So what would you expect a factory-new, unopened version of the SNES cult classic Earthbound to go for? $200? $500?

When all was said and done, 35 bids had been placed, and the price had skyrocketed. The final sum? A cool $1,025 - and .01 cents.

Y'know, the interesting thing is ... if someone is that passionate about Earthbound, they aren't buying this game because they want to play it - no, they probably already own (and love) it. Whoever purchased Earthbound for over a grand probably did so because they wanted to own a pure and unopened copy of the game to look at and lovingly stroke for the rest of their lives.

That's kind of crazy. But then again, so are Earthbound fans.

(GoNintendo)

If I had a grand to waste I would so buy something like this too, an unopened copy of one of my favorite games. Then again I might also try and buy a copy of Suikoden I & II, Tales of Destiny I & II(Eternia), Star Ocean 2, and Lunar games on the playstation... there went my fictitious grand

Sure I saw this on a thread on the forums first ^^

No game is worth that much.

Even Earthbound.

I'm sure they bought it for the un-scratched scratch-and-sniff cards in the player's guide.

I might bid on it just to ruin some guys dream of owning it.

it is an awesome awesome game, so I'm not surprised. It's just something I personally would never do.

...................................................................................................
...................................................................................................
.......................................facepalm...............................................

This is why emulators like zSNES exist.

Wow . . . just wow. Earthbound is a great game, but there are much better things to spend $1000 on.

I wish I had $1000 just to throw away like that, jesus christ mun...

I never heard of this game. Hrmm.

Is Earthbound any good *awaits to be killed*? Let me reword that. For someone who normally doesn't play JRPSs (I'm not really a fan of their artistic style) is it worth looking into?

DeadRow:

Yeah, but then it was only going for 700 dollars. I posted on that forum, it was rediculous then, but now its just absurd.

Wouldukindly:
Is Earthbound any good *awaits to be killed*? Let me reword that. For someone who normally doesn't play JRPSs (I'm not really a fan of their artistic style) is it worth looking into?

Earthbound is... odd. It's certainly different. I enjoyed it and I don't really look into JRPGs so much. I don't know if it's worth going crazy over, but it certainly stands out, and some parts of it will stick with me forever.

I realise that this person doesn't want to play it and wants to "preserve" it but if they intend to play it get an emulator!

Wouldukindly:

Earthbound's artistic style is completely different from any JRPG, or even any game, you have ever played before. The game itself is surreal, weird, funny and completely awesome. If you don't like JRPG's the battle system and the small amount of required level grinding at the beginning of the game may turn you off at first but if you keep playing you probably don't care about that anymore.

DeadRow:

Who cares, be quiet.

To the issue. IF (and it's a big if) I had disposable cash in this order hell yah i would buy crap like this.

FF 3 unopened? or even better, Fricken battle toads for the NEs unopened? rules.

Wow. If I had a grand I wouldn't do it but if you were that crazy about a game go ahead. Personally I'd buy rare memorabilia instead. Like a Giant statue of Cloud or Marcus Fenix.

Aardvark Soup:

Wouldukindly:

Earthbound's artistic style is completely different from any JRPG, or even any game, you have ever played before. The game itself is surreal, weird, funny and completely awesome. If you don't like JRPG's the battle system and the small amount of required level grinding at the beginning of the game may turn you off at first but if you keep playing you probably don't care about that anymore.

Excellent, thank you, I'll look into emulators right away.

Wouldukindly:

Aardvark Soup:

Wouldukindly:

Normally I would be against pirating such a game but since it was never released in Europe and it is unlikely that it will come out on the VC because of some copyright issues with the music downloading this game is perfectly justified. And when you've finished it, make sure you also give Mother 3 a try, which is even better.

Captain Urahara:
Wow . . . just wow. Earthbound is a great game, but there are much better things to spend $1000 on.

yeah, they should buy a ps3 and pre-purchase God of War 3.

Aardvark Soup:

Wouldukindly:

Aardvark Soup:

Wouldukindly:

Normally I would be against pirating such a game but since it was never released in Europe and it is unlikely that it will come out on the VC because of some copyright issues with the music downloading this game is perfectly justified. And when you've finished it, make sure you also give Mother 3 a try, which is even better.

Well I am Canadian...I just never owned an SNES, my parents were mean.

CantFaketheFunk:
$1,025 - and .01 cents.

NO! BAD! It's $1,025.01 which is NOT $1,025.0001.

if i had 1000 dollars i could use on anything, i would be a ps3, then i would pre-purchase God of War 3, buy 2 more wii-motes (then i have 4) and buy SSBB. maybe COD4 and The Last Remnant too. oh, also pre-purchase Killing Floor.

KaveKa:

CantFaketheFunk:
$1,025 - and .01 cents.

NO! BAD! It's $1,025.01 which is NOT $1,025.0001.

On a check you write "and XX/100 cents." Same principle :P

With no sarcasm in my voice, I think this is great. If animation cells and movie props and some random celebrity's chewed up gum can be sold for lots, then it just goes to show that gaming culture is just as relevant.

That IS a lot of money, though. $8.70 USD for shipping!?

Sevre90210:
Wow. If I had a grand I wouldn't do it but if you were that crazy about a game go ahead. Personally I'd buy rare memorabilia instead. Like a Giant statue of Cloud or Marcus Fenix.

[Insert snobby, condescending old-schooler off-hand comment about the priorities of kids today]

I once had an opportunity to purchase an unopened copy of Earthbound for a what now seems a measly $100 back in 07'... Damn.

I love Earthbound but.. wow. I wonder if the same guy bought that Mr Saturn that was selling for 150 quid...

Galduke:
I once had an opportunity to purchase an unopened copy of Earthbound for a what now seems a measly $100 back in 07'... Damn.

I think you can sell it easily for $300. Even if you had opened it.

Just think, this would all be settled if Nintendo would release Mother 3 in the U.S.

Aquatopia:
I'm sure they bought it for the un-scratched scratch-and-sniff cards in the player's guide.

But no pizza-scented air freshener...

xD... worth it? I dunno. Without a doubt, the game is one of my favorite games ever, for just being totally so insane and off the wall, fighting such enemies as the "New Age-Retro Hippie" to trying to save your friend Paula from the crazy KKK- I mean- Happy Happyists cult-in their now blue cloaks and hoods...they are for Blue Power. Anyone who's played knows what I'm talking about, thats one of the most insane parts.

Its the only game where the protagonists are like 10 years old and it somehow works out like southpark from a 1990s JRPG standpoint....yeah...
Its crazy, its absurd, its worth it.

Also, Time Travel, Space Alliens, Blues Brothers, zombies, Evil Global Warming trash monsters, a valley of rabbit/moogle/face people with their own font, and an annoying brat.

I can't believe that o_O

I bought this same exact package at walmart for $15 dollars back in the SNES days.

I can't believe it... I remember seeing that game in the bargain isle once upon a time for $10

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here