EA "Happy" With Dead Space Sales

Dead Space has sold roughly 1.4 million copies since it was released in October 2008, a figure that makes EA's Glen Schofield "happy" and bodes well for its future as a franchise.

Dead Space launched to critical acclaim and solid but unremarkable sales, managing to break one million copies sold across the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms by the end of the year. Sales of the game have now reached 1.4 million units, according to Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores) General Manager Glen Schofield, who added that he's "satisfied" that Dead Space is on its way to becoming a major gaming franchise.

"I'm happy with [Dead Space sales], based on the economy. Last year could've been one of the greatest launch years in the history of video games around October time, but it was a year where people bought less games than they normally would. Do I wish it sold more? Absolutely," Schofield said. "But the critical acclaim and the number of awards - we're at 75 and counting now - have made [Dead Space] bigger than just the number of sales. If you look at used sales and rentals, we're looking at probably 3 or 4 million people who have played the game."

He also expressed optimism about Dead Space: Extraction, the Wii-exclusive prequel that's slated for release later this year. Despite the failure of Sega's much-hyped MadWorld to post mad sales, he said there is a market for M-rated games on the Wii, provided they're done properly. "If you look back at Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Resident Evil 4 for the Wii, those sold close to a million and over a million," he continued. "Madworld - to me, personally it's an art piece, and after a while, I got really tired of the art look. For me, I just couldn't take the black and white. So I don't think it's a matter of their not being a market, because soon there will be 60 million Wiis out there."

But while he's anxious to see Dead Space become a popular cross-platform franchise, Schofield said it was unlikely the series would ever find its way to portable systems. "I think part of the problem is all the major physics and the dismemberment, and things like that," he said. "I want to stay true to the vision of Dead Space, and that is about dismemberment, zero G, and stuff like that. We'd have to make some compromises that I am not willing to make yet."

Source: GameSpot

Sales figures for a lot of EAs games is the main reason i dont ever understand why so many people hate on them.

i borrowed it off a friend, so I'm not part of the 1.4 million copies, but w/e fair play to them

xmetatr0nx:
Sales figures for a lot of EAs games is the main reason i dont ever understand why so many people hate on them.

I never understood this. So many people claim to hate EA with a passion yet their games always sell well.

I never did play Dead Space. It contains something I hate. So I can't claim to be attached to the game in any way. Yet it still annoys me that they will turn this into a franchise.

xmetatr0nx:

The EA studio behind Dead Space just changed its name to Visceral Games. I think they must of done it so people wouldn't pass off Dead Space as just another EA game (not that i have anything against EA myself)

People hate what it's fashinobale to hate. I prefer to hate indiscriminately or not at all when possible, and then buy what I like.

Dead Space is the only good game EA has ever made, they should just stick to the future potential of a franchise and concentrate on it...instead of just churning out the same old rubbish stuff. Namely sports games.

Malygris:

[img_inline caption="" align='right'
"I'm happy with [Dead Space sales], based on the economy. Last year could've been one of the greatest launch years in the history of video games around October time, but it was a year where people bought less games than they normally would. Do I wish it sold more? Absolutely," Schofield said. "But the critical acclaim and the number of awards - we're at 75 and counting now - have made [Dead Space] bigger than just the number of sales. If you look at used sales and rentals, we're looking at probably 3 or 4 million people who have played the game."

Am I the only one that finds this funny, I meen Deadspace having the greatest sales in video gaming history?

I am one of those rare individuals who inhabits the gaming world and yet doesn't care about game sales or developers or studios, I'm mostly interested in the games.

I liked Dead Space and when I finished it I did want to see what would happen next so...yes, I am looking foward to the sequel.

Shibito091192:
Dead Space is the only good game EA has ever made, they should just stick to the future potential of a franchise and concentrate on it...instead of just churning out the same old rubbish stuff. Namely sports games.

But don't you see how making this a franchise to be milked to death will end up with Dead Space labeled rubbish being churned out?

DarthHK:

Shibito091192:

But don't you see how making this a franchise to be milked to death will end up with Dead Space labeled rubbish being churned out?

I disagree. A franchise can still be playable after many games, as long as it is well done.
Call of Duty is still going strong, and it's coming up to game number 6.

Okay i own Dead Space and have to say it is AMAZING. It really doesn't scare me and i can see gags from a mile away (the ones that play dead on the floor NEVER get me. I usually kill then before they get up.),but the gameplay is the most fun i have ever had, second only to Fallout 3, and the graphics look utterly real. The strategic dismemberment is pretty good. But it was good for just a one time deal. I don't want to see Isaac Turn into Megaman. Dead Space 2 maybe, but the story wouldn't allow for another game. So i disagree with a "franchise" but i could live through a number 2.

Shibito091192:

That's a stunningly ignorant statement.

Malygris:

Shibito091192:

Yes it is. Perhaps he doesn't know how deeply entrenched the company is in industry. Or perhaps he's new to the whole 'gaming' scene.

Shibito091192:
I disagree. A franchise can still be playable after many games, as long as it is well done.

Call of Duty 5 raised some serious questions. Besides, the Dead Space series seems a lot more directly sequeled than Call of Duty.

I'm sure they'd be happier with 3 million though

DeadlyYellow:

Malygris:

Shibito091192:

Yes it is. Perhaps he doesn't know how deeply entrenched the company is in industry. Or perhaps he's new to the whole 'gaming' scene.

Shibito091192:

Call of Duty 5 raised some serious questions. Besides, the Dead Space series seems a lot more directly sequeled than Call of Duty.

No, i'm not new to the 'gaming scene', i've been playing for years. I just struggle to think of an EA game worth playing...

xmetatr0nx:

Wait, seriously? I haven't heard any negative stuff about EA since I've been here. Then again, I try not to frequent threads that do an insane amount of bashing...

Glen Schofield:
I'm happy with [Dead Space sales], based on the economy. Last year could've been one of the greatest launch years in the history of video games around October time, but it was a year where people bought less games than they normally would.

Fewer games. Less if you can't count it, fewer if you can, Glen.

Shibito091192:
No, i'm not new to the 'gaming scene', i've been playing for years. I just struggle to think of an EA game worth playing...

EA has been around since 1983 and believe me, it's put out some of the best games ever created. The shine has come off its crown, yes, but EA has done much, much more for gamers than just Dead Space. Here, read this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/3553-Electronic-Arts-Its-Just-Business

Malygris:

Shibito091192:

EA has been around since 1983 and believe me, it's put out some of the best games ever created. The shine has come off its crown, yes, but EA has done much, much more for gamers than just Dead Space. Here, read this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/3553-Electronic-Arts-Its-Just-Business

I understand what you are saying, but you simply can't measure the quality of EA on the basis of how long it has been around and how many games it has made. I know it's an old cliche, but really it is about quality, not quantity- just because you've been making a lot of half- decent games for a long time dosen't the games suddenly good, nor EA the best.
For example, take Bethesda. They have only made a few games, namely Fallout 3 and Oblivion, both of which are hits and no doubt good and more than worthwhile games.
My point is that maybe because EA has been around for so long that it has lost it's perspective and talent for making good games...and have simply kept trying to achieve this over the years by countinualy releasing a few 'good' games, but most of them not really groundbreaking or worthwhile.
Just a thought.

xmetatr0nx:

it's part in parcel with the hate on George Lucas hate and i think Comic Book Guy said it best "Worst prequel ever i'll only see it 5 more times today"

Shibito091192:

Malygris:

Shibito091192:

I understand what you are saying, but you simply can't measure the quality of EA on the basis of how long it has been around and how many games it has made. I know it's an old cliche, but really it is about quality, not quantity- just because you've been making a lot of half- decent games for a long time dosen't the games suddenly good, nor you the best.
For example, take Bethesda. They have only made a few games, namely Fallout 3 and Oblivion, both of which are hits and no doubt good and more than worthwhile games.
My point is that maybe because EA has been around for so long that it has lost it's perspective and talent for making good games...and have simply kept trying to achieve this over the years by countinualy releasing a few 'good' games, but most of them not really groundbreaking or worthwhile.
Just a thought.

yeah saying EA has all bad games is wrong on many levels, without them there'd be no left 4 dead or mass effect or command and conquer or need for speed or many other games

cleverlymadeup:

xmetatr0nx:

it's part in parcel with the hate on George Lucas hate and i think Comic Book Guy said it best "Worst prequel ever i'll only see it 5 more times today"

Shibito091192:

Malygris:

Shibito091192:

I understand what you are saying, but you simply can't measure the quality of EA on the basis of how long it has been around and how many games it has made. I know it's an old cliche, but really it is about quality, not quantity- just because you've been making a lot of half- decent games for a long time dosen't the games suddenly good, nor you the best.
Just a thought.

yeah saying EA has all bad games is wrong on many levels, without them there'd be no left 4 dead or mass effect or command and conquer or need for speed or many other games

That's not at all what I am saying.
The subject of this arguement is the future of EA games. Titles such as Dead Space.
Mass Effect, Command and Conquer and Need for Speed are all past EA games, the 'greatness' of which is easily disputable.

I think people forget that dead space is a good game and that we should be glad it sold well. I personally hate the EA that puts out games like madden every year, but I love the ea that puts out original stuff like dead space and mirror's edge. And I'm very glad dead space sold well because that means the creators will get more credit and money when their next great idea comes up as opposed to ea saying "sorry it didn't sell, so I guess now we have to put out 2 madden's a year."

sleeperhit79:
I think people forget that dead space is a good game and that we should be glad it sold well. I personally hate the EA that puts out games like madden every year, but I love the ea that puts out original stuff like dead space and mirror's edge. And I'm very glad dead space sold well because that means the creators will get more credit and money when their next great idea comes up as opposed to ea saying "sorry it didn't sell, so I guess now we have to put out 2 madden's a year."

Exactly my point. EA releases good games like Dead Space too rarely to be branded a good game developer- that relies on consistancy.
Games like Madden being released again and again tarnish the reputation of EA.

But let's not forget what you said: "Dead Space is the only good game EA has ever made." That's a pretty black-and-white statement, not really subject to interpretation, and of course completely wrong.

Now if you want to talk about what EA's been up to lately, then sure, there have been far more misses than hits. But I take Dead Space (and also Mirror's Edge) as very positive signs that the company realizes it has lost its way and is trying to do something about it. EA isn't going to change overnight and neither is it just going to walk away from its established, decrepit franchises (I'm looking at you, EA Sports). And really, why should it? Madden NFL sells half a bazillion copies year in and year out; can we really criticize EA for capitalizing on that? But if along with that the company is willing to push the boundaries a bit more than usual with games like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, then I'll be a happy camper.

I liked Dead Space up till the ending. Guess that's another one for the docket... I gotta remember to stick games that aren't in Steam on my list :D

But Dead Space was fun. It wasn't really survival horror, which upset some people, but I was willing to see through the mislabeling.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here