The Only Atari Jaguar Game of 2009

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Only Atari Jaguar Game of 2009

After six years of development that began eight years after its platform stopped being manufactured, Mad Bodies will be released on the Atari Jaguar this year.

Remember the Atari Jaguar? One of those systems best left forgotten, like the Virtual Boy or the Sega 32X. Most of us only remember it as a joke, but these days you'll find people who are devoted to any consumer relic of times gone by, and the Jaguar is no different. Take the fine folks of FORCE Design, for instance. They've been working on a Jaguar game for six years now, and, now, finally, it's ready for the world.

It's called Mad Bodies, and it's a cross between a top down shoot-em-up and Breakout (you know, that arcade game where you bounce a ball to break down walls, like vertical Pong). Mad Bodies, FORCE Design writes, "will always get some bodies mad. It wouldn't be Mad Bodies if nobodies get mad!!"

These guys have been working on a Jaguar game for more than half a decade. You shouldn't be surprised that they're a little bit crazy.

The premise for the game's just as incomprehensible. A new evil is threatening the safety of the galaxy, and it's up to heroes like ETHunter, Thunderbird and uh, Wes, to stop Graphics Man from destroying the world. How to stop said Graphics Man? Why "enter the Dark Knight Games tournment co-hosted by Dave Vaporware," of course.

Mad Bodies features 10 stages, "excellent sfx" and "cool bosses." Pre-ordering the game will cost you $80, plus shipping. Check it out in action here.

(GameSetWatch)

Way to go, 6 years making a game no one will play.
Edit: After watching the video of the game, those years were definitely wasted because the game looks incredibly boring.

wow talk about a bad release date a lot of people barley remember the jaguar and even fewer people still own one

So... What system is Duke Nukem Forever for again? I think this is a "prequel" of sorts to DNF. Maybe FORCE Design has employees with powerful premonition skills.

hot dog! *looks for Jaguar, then remembers he accidentally stepped on it one day.
Aww :/

i really hope they arent expecting good sales

not only is it for an old system, it costs 80$ which is more than current gen games

mikemart:

not only is it for an old system, it costs 80$ which is more than current gen games

Not only is the system old but its one which most people would rather forget about. Now I must get back to work on my virtual boy game which will make me MILLIONS! [/sarcasm]

link670:

mikemart:

Not only is the system old but its one which most people would rather forget about. Now I must get back to work on my virtual boy game which will make me MILLIONS! [/sarcasm]

o rly now? is it in an actual 3-d world or is it like every other game and could of been done on the Snes

<-_->

<*O*> ~ [yawn]

<-.-> ...... zzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzz.........................

mikemart:

link670:

mikemart:

o rly now? is it in an actual 3-d world or is it like every other game and could of been done on the Snes

Actually it was a joke, I actually don't have the time or the skill to do something like that.

I predict this game will make a lot of money...

link670:

mikemart:

link670:

mikemart:

Actually it was a joke, I actually don't have the time or the skill to do something like that.

i know it was a joke, i was making a joke how the virtual boy was apose to have virtual worlds but they just did the same crap that could of been done on any system

A few older systems are still getting newer games, the SEGA CD got a new Sonic game made by fans which was actually really good, you can play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty or Shadow (saved the worst for last. It's all based off Sonic 1 in a lot of ways in terms of levels but each character has special abilities that help them along (Sonic- Spindash, peal out, Knuckles- glide, climb etc) It's called Sonic Mega Mix, you can literally burn the game and put it in your Sega CD, pretty cool, much better than Sonic and the Black Knight.

Best of all? It's free.

There are also some new RPGs coming to Sega CD and even ones that were never put out in the US.

A joke six years in the making. Awesome.

Jaguar...are you kidding me?...
I mean, seriously?

Why'd it take so long to develop such an old-style game? Did they have only a few people on board, or were they really lazy?

Er, perhaps someone should tell them it's May not April 1st? Anyway, who's buying...? :D

I'm amazed that they spent so much time developing this, when the game footage easily suggests it could have been created as a Flash game.

This is what Duke Nukem Forever is destined to become. I didnt know anyone who bought a jaguar back in the day, who the hell has one now?

i wouldent spend $80 on an atari system let alone a game.

With all the money they make from this game, they could build a factory that makes designer seat covers for the DeLoran DMC-12.

6 years to make the shit on that picture. atari must have just 5 years and 11 months telling jokes and drinking coffee.
atari will never be a succesful company, unless they can bring a 8th generation console better than the ps3.

kawligia:
With all the money they make from this game, they could build a factory that makes designer seat covers for the DeLoran DMC-12.

they WONT make any money with this game. the console is one of the worst OF ALL TIME. the atari jaguar is almost as bad as the 2600.

xmetatr0nx:
This is what Duke Nukem Forever is destined to become. I didnt know anyone who bought a jaguar back in the day, who the hell has one now?

might be true. if forever isnt so good that it can cure cancer and lull critics to sleep, it will be rated oh-so-badly.

Ajna:
So... What system is Duke Nukem Forever for again? I think this is a "prequel" of sorts to DNF. Maybe FORCE Design has employees with powerful premonition skills.

it will most likely be PC. like all the other nukem games.

What the hell is with that price? More than a regular game?
I just watched an Angry Video Game Nerd video today where he talked about the Jaguar. I'd heard of it but never seen much of it. Whew! These guys have been wasting their time.

they should make battle toads for the jaguar

Well, I'll give them props for not letting reality interfere with their dreams. Kind of like Don Quixote, but more pathetic and less entertaining.

Keane Ng:
Remember the Atari Jaguar? One of those systems best left forgotten, like the Virtual Boy or the Sega 32X.

I spent so much money on the Virtual boy....

For every one of these sold I will lose a bit more faith in humanity.

I'm sorry but it's a little pompous to charge $80+ for an obscure game like this. Obviously the price is to help recoup costs, but this was just a failed journey from the start. Any releases for systems that are officially "dead" should be free or be at the most $20. Clearly this was a pet project and not something for financial gain, so it comes off as a little douche-y in my opinion to force such a high price. Besides, probably the only people who will take a second glance at this thing will be the emulator community when this is subsequently ripped and put on torrent sites..

I LOVE IT!
<_<
>_>
-_-

Right. That was a waste of the company's time, don't you think?

Hmmm. A group of hobbyists wrote a game in their spare time for an obscure older videogame system. I think that's actually pretty cool.

link670:
Way to go, 6 years making a game no one will play.
Edit: After watching the video of the game, those years were definitely wasted because the game looks incredibly boring.

You kidding? It may be awful, inappropriately released, and a few other equally bad things, but I'd buy it for the novelty. I mean, c'mon, how many people will own a game made 14 years to late?

Of course collectors will buy this just to have a complete collection. Maybe a profit will be made.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here