Can You Smell What Marcus Fenix Is Cooking?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Can You Smell What Marcus Fenix Is Cooking?

Gears of War screenwriter Chris Morgan said he's having a hard time envisioning one particular actor in the lead role of Marcus Fenix but thinks that former wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would be an "awesome" choice.

"Normally when I write, I think about the actor I'm writing for, but this one's been difficult," Morgan said in an interview with MTV Movies. The screenwriter, whose previous credits include The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Wanted, said picking the right actor for the pivotal role of Marcus Fenix was a "vital choice" and suggested that The Rock, he of the prehensile eyebrow and the People's Elbow, has both the physical presence and the acting chops to fit the bill perfectly.

"The Rock is awesome," Morgan said. "There's a genuine actor. Not only can he play the tough guy, but he can also play the nuanced, sensitive funny sad moments as well." He added that his experience in the business thus far has taught him that "it's harder to play the tough guy than an emotional character who's all over the place," a truth that anyone who watched Schwarzenegger just about herniate himself while trying to cry in End of Days can attest to.

"I don't think they're looking so much for size, but a guy you believe can throw a punch, and a guy you believe is stoic, locked in his own head, and [can] show emotion without telegraphing it," he continued. "If you just play the big tough guy, it comes off as one-note and cardboard and not a believable character. So an actor has to find little things and put emotion into them that works in a more subtle way than just being stoic."

It seems like a reasonable choice to me. As action stars go, Johnson brings as much range to the screen as anyone. But there's always room for debate. Christian Bale's turn in Terminator Salvation paints him as a solid choice; Bruce Willis is getting old but might still have it in him. Maybe Jason Statham, if he can do something about that accent. It's a toughie, alright. What do you think?

Not Jason Statham, anything but that. Dwayne Johnson would be a pretty good choice, but I don't recall Marcus ever having to show emotion, so it will be interesting to see what they've added to the idea to make it work. Then again, there's always the possibility that it won't.

For a mindless alien ass kicking violence flick, The Rock would be pretty kewl. I dont care what anyone says, I liked Doom :D

galletea:
Not Jason Statham, anything but that. Dwayne Johnson would be a pretty good choice, but I don't recall Marcus ever having to show emotion, so it will be interesting to see what they've added to the idea to make it work. Then again, there's always the possibility that it won't.

He never really had to show emotion (other than sarcasm, if that counts) in the first one, but they at least tried in Gears 2. I think the movie could actually rectify that; making Marcus seem more like a real human being would go a long way towards improving the story.

I think a Gears film is a terrible idea.

Films of games are almost always terrible.

I think a more important question is who will play Baird?

Mickey Rourke as Marcus! Nobody could play Marcus better than him!

.... I could see it, actually.

Everybody would watch it just cause it's The Rock.
All game films suck otherwise.

Nathan Fillan gets my vote.

Andy_Panthro:

I agree, considering that the screenwriter is responsible for both Wanted and Tokyo Drift. They weren't terrible movies, but they certainly weren't great. And I don't want to see the Rock as Marcus Fenix. No discredit to the Rock, I just don't think he'd be a good Marcus.

galletea:
Not Jason Statham, anything but that.

I'm sorry missy, but I happen to think that Statham would be a kickass choice for the role... OK, I am a Statham fan...

Janakatak:
I agree, considering that the screenwriter is responsible for both Wanted and Tokyo Drift.

Tokyo Drift is a masterpiece. I had no idea Morgan wrote that - I have no doubts about this movie now.

PirateKing:

This. Mickey Rourke may have acting credentials, but if someone managed to get Sean Bean in Silent Hill, It's possible to get rourke in this. The Rock would be just as good though, maybe better (if the film sucks, it'll be less depressing if the Rock is the leading man).

sirdanrhodes:

galletea:

I'm sorry missy, but I happen to think that Statham would be a kickass choice for the role... OK, I am a Statham fan...

His height would be a problem.

Keane Ng:

Well...he'd need to be a jackass, or at least be able to portray one...Clint Eastwood! XD

Andy_Panthro:

Yeah, especially films of games that cast The Rock as their lead.

I can imagine the Rock as Marcus Fenix, but he'll need to undergo serious make-up treatments to look tougher and whiter. He can talk to Beyonce about the latter.

Ron Perlman would make a good Fenix...

Not that anyone in that role would have worthwhile material to work with, that script will be, "Ten Shit Tons" of terrible.

I say they get chuck norris in for Dizzy Wallin..... Then again, I don't think even he is badass enough for Dizzy Wallin.

Anyway... Marcus... The Rock could work...... maybe.... Dno, I can't see a gears movie being a good idea tbh. >.< Though i'd still probably watch it, lol.

if Christopher Walkin was more obnoxious then he would be the perfect Baird. if the Rock cant play Marcus the he should definitely play Dom. also Ashton Cutcher should play Carmine, hust because i want to see him get shot in the head. Vin Diesel should play Kim

Keane Ng:

You may think I'm crazy for saying this but I think Owen Wilson would be good for Baird.

I vote Dominic Purcell for the Fenix role. Slap some scarring on his face and a little spot of hair on his chin and you'll get a pretty good likeness. And he has the right height and build, Fenix is big but some of that bulk is his armor.

BACON!

Nah it just can't work with the Rock.

PirateKing:

Absolutely. It would be a near perfect fit.
Forget 'The Rock', get me Mickey!

sirdanrhodes:

galletea:

Hes too..... thin

Broken Wings:

Keane Ng:

You may think I'm crazy for saying this but I think Owen Wilson would be good for Baird.

My god that would be awesome

WrongSprite:

Broken Wings:

Keane Ng:

My god that would be awesome

Thank you I thought I was the only person who thought that.

The Rock died in my eyes when he started making Disney movies and changed his name into Dwayne Johnson. THough I agree that Statham shouldn't play in it, not because he's a bad actor, but because his muscle mass isn't big enough to crush cars in between his pecs.

John Travolta all the way WOOO!!!!!!!

Oh God, this is just going to be the Doom movie all over again. I can feel it in my metal-plated bones. Seriously, the Gears franchise's plot is so thin you can nearly see right through it, and its paper-thin plot is not good material for a movie to be made on.

We already knew this wasn't going to be Shakespeare, and the best we could hope for was a decent action flick. But the signs are all off on this one, and I can smell mediocrity all over this movie project. I fear it will turn out to be very bad indeed.

So sick of Dwayne Johnson. I don't have much against his acting ability, but it's like, "We need a big muscly guy that audiences can also sympathize with," "Umm... how about Dwayne Johnson?"

Dear gods, even Vin diesel would be a better choice than Dwayne johnson -.-

How hard is it to grunt for 3 hours? I mean really?!

Well, he has done Doom, and that was awful... But as much as I love Statham, it couldn't be him, he isn't big enough. It would almost definitely have to be an ex Wrestler/Body Builder/Vin Diesel...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here