Gatchaman Vs Street Fighter!

Gatchaman Vs Street Fighter!

The frankly bizarre fighter Tatsunoko vs Capcom is finally getting a release in the West.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a another entry into Capcom's much loved Vs series. Released on the Wii in Japan, the game features a crazy mix of characters from Capcom franchises and Tatsunoko anime alike. Morrigan from DarkStalkers and Viewtiful Joe as a tag team anyone? Or perhaps you fancy playing as a giant robot that can turn into a lighter?

But like building a hot tub on the moon, a western release for Tatsunoko vs Capcom was thought to be impossible. In Japan, Tatsunoko's output, which includes the seminal anime Speed Racer, Gatchaman and Samurai Pizza Cats - who sadly do not appear in the game - is theirs to with as they wish, but in the West, around 12 different companies own licensing rights, making any western release tricky at best.

Capcom said that it would work on getting the game released in the West and it seems by some kind of eldritch sorcery, they've pulled it off. The most recent issue of Nintendo Power broke the news, and pictures of the issue proved it to the rest of the world. While no date has been confirmed, the game will be coming to the US soon.

Source: GoNintendo

To be honest, that just looks like Street Fighter IV with new skins.

seems like a pretty big effort for something that probably would only have niche appeal to existing fans...though I wonder if the popularity of Street Fighter IV made them think it would be worth it to get another full price game out

CASSSSSSSHEEEEEEERN!!!!! Can't wait for this one.

Is that Viewtiful Joe in the top left corner there? Thats pretty much the only non-street fighter character i recognize. Sounds like a cool idea, but only for fans or people who have already heard of that other series, ill pass.

nilcypher:

But like building a hot tub on the moon, a western release for Tatsunoko vs Streetfighter was thought to be impossible.

Well, there goes my plan for a 5-star resort located on the lunar crater Daedalus.

Why do you call it Tatsunoko vs Street Fighter?

KDR_11k:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsunoko

Edit: ah nevermind, Gatchaman > . <

KDR_11k:

Well look at that, you're right. I'll change that now.

Whoo hoo! More Vs. craziness can hardly be a bad thing...

Wait. ONLY FOR THE WII? GRAAAAAAAAAAH!

Pi_Fighter:

Yeah, it's a bit completely not like that.

I wish this would come out for some more consoles because it looks super-fun. Also, I rather like the idea of a fighter where the constraint lies in tactics rather than mastering inputs.

New information

- name being changed to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Star
- online play may be added
- new characters might happen
- due out before the end of this year, around Winter

I still need to play DreamMix TV...
I need to see Optimus Prime fight Solid Snake.

I would have preferred Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

Gatchaman is awesome and so are the Samurai Pizza Cats. I might have to get this.

Towowo2:

- new characters might happen

If that does happen, they might want to consider including Kyatto Ninden characters.
"Samurai Pizza Cats" does have a rather strong cult following here in the States.

This would be good if I had any idea who half the roster were...

Keane Ng:

Pi_Fighter:

Ok.
So what is it then?

Pi_Fighter:

Keane Ng:

Pi_Fighter:

Ok.
So what is it then?

I'm assuming it's similar to Marvel V/S Capcom, but with a whole set of different characters with different moves etc ...

wtf! i am speechless.

xmetatr0nx:
Is that Viewtiful Joe in the top left corner there? Thats pretty much the only non-street fighter character i recognize. Sounds like a cool idea, but only for fans or people who have already heard of that other series, ill pass.

Actually, I've never heard of the Tatsunoko characters either (except for Jun and Ken from Gatchaman, a.k.a. Battle of the Planets), and I still thoroughly enjoy the game. Then again, I'm kind of a nut for mos fighters, so my view may be a bit skewed...

See, I thought the Samurai Pizza Cats came off as a bit weird, but then I remember that we have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which make just as much sense.

Pi_Fighter:

...except that is actually on the wii? you know, the console that doesnt get street fighter, so you understand why we are excited.

Dectilon:
I wish this would come out for some more consoles because it looks super-fun. Also, I rather like the idea of a fighter where the constraint lies in tactics rather than mastering inputs.

i wish we could live in a magical world where there was either only one console, or all 3rd party games released on all platforms

sadly, we live in a terrible world were the console you have, doesnt get the games you want.

so no, TvC should NOT come to any other platform, because wii doesnt get street fighter, or anything else for that matter.
also, I WANT SPEED RACER IN THIS GAME DAMNIT

It should come out for PS3 and 360, otherwise they're not going to sell many copies. Hardcore fighter fans and Wii owners don't overlap much.

It is sad that the only Tatsunoko characters I would recognize Speed Racer and the Samurai Pizza Cats (キャッ党忍伝) aren't in this game. I think the majority of Americans would fall into the same category as me in this regard.

If it ever does come out for 360, I'll get it. Otherwise, meh. And as to some of the anger above, the Wii doesn't get Street Fighter IV because it's not powerful enough to run it.

nilcypher:
and Samurai Pizza Cats - who sadly do not appear in the game

Why do you both raise and crush my hopes and dreams with one simple line of text.

Seriously it surprises me that so many people remember the show, that was my childhood, even though it wasn't around for long. Lord how I wish they'd release it in DVD format so I could buy it a million times over thus resulting in them deciding there's enough interest to make new episodes...

I'm terribly sentimental.

Jonny The Kay:
I would have preferred Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

who wouldn't but hey maybe this will kick start it

Marketing sorcery for the win.

Accomplishing this gives us hope for other games.

Flunk:
It should come out for PS3 and 360, otherwise they're not going to sell many copies. Hardcore fighter fans and Wii owners don't overlap much.

It is sad that the only Tatsunoko characters I would recognize Speed Racer and the Samurai Pizza Cats (HURRRR) aren't in this game. I think the majority of Americans would fall into the same category as me in this regard.

If it ever does come out for 360, I'll get it. Otherwise, meh. And as to some of the anger above, the Wii doesn't get Street Fighter IV because it's not powerful enough to run it.

didnt the director say that SF4 could run on an atari 2600?
if its graphics youre talking about, then porting to 360 and ps3 would be worse, because you would have to enhance the graphics, to satisfy the thick headed graphics retards that populate the two systems.

i like that first bit though, about not selling on the wii...yea, thats why they are localizing it, because it didnt sell for shit in japan.

also, what the hell is samurai pizza cats? everybody keeps saying they grew up with it, but it sounds like something recent, like they would put on cartoon network. did it air with speed racer? (as it seems thats the only two tatsunoko series you guys know)

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

(insert much more freaking out here)

Battle of the Planettttssssssssssssss

(more freaking out)

Ok. I'm calm now. No, no, I'm not.

GLEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Capcom must have hired the best lawyers in the galaxy or something. We get to see MvC2 AND Tatsunoko vs. Capcom this year? I may die of joy.

Haaha!! I see a Vital Suit in there!

Anywho, video game characters veruses cartoon characters? Wonderful!!

ROBO_LEADER:
Capcom must have hired the best lawyers in the galaxy or something. We get to see MvC2 AND Tatsunoko vs. Capcom this year? I may die of joy.

oh yea, i didnt even think about that, good lawyers indeed

hcig:

also, what the hell is samurai pizza cats? everybody keeps saying they grew up with it, but it sounds like something recent, like they would put on cartoon network. did it air with speed racer? (as it seems thats the only two tatsunoko series you guys know)

No... It's an late 80's/ early 90's series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU

The english theme is messing with the turtles, but that's an entirely western addition.
It's definitely not the kind of thing that would have gotten an accurate translation, especially back then.

I still remember it, but it was so long ago, that I didn't even realise there was such a thing as Anime.
It just seemed to be a cartoon like any other back then.

(just for the hell of it, the japanese version of the opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFv2z4qR9eY)

Is that a Lost Planet VS suit in the back?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here