Space Station Crew Enjoys 'Fruits' of Urine Recycler

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Space Station Crew Enjoys 'Fruits' of Urine Recycler

After a number of technological hurdles and unforeseen accidents, the crew of the International Space Station can finally enjoy their Urine Recycler -- a device that makes urine drinkable.

Originally scheduled to go online last November, the UR has met with repeated mechanical failures. It sat unused until March of this year when it was finally repaired and after rigorous testing it now serves its intended purpose.

This marks the first time space explorers have been able to repurpose their own waste into drinkable water -- a boon previously reserved for Andean plane crash survivors and Bear Grylls.

Perhaps not as glamorous as the concept of blasting off into space, the Urine Recycler still serves an important purpose: Despite the gobs of money countries toss at the ISS program, transporting huge amounts of potable water to the floating platform is difficult and costly.

Drinking urine might not have the same cachet as a bottle of Aquafina, but it beats dying of thirst in the cold, uncaring vacuum of space.

thats not right

urine tastes disgusting

So, in the name of progress they've doomed all astronauts to drinking piss forever more?

Awesome.

Probably a great idea and invention, but damnit if it doesn't put a major dent in my ambitions of astronaut fun...

The things we do to be in space.

I'm sure they'll be able to make fine margaritas. [see further, Red Dwarf]

dogstile:
thats not right

urine tastes disgusting

So you tried it already?

Did anyone else think, Waterworld in space!

Tenmar:

Yes, that actually was my first thought.

Urine is already fairly drinkable as a water source. I'm guessing this mostly just makes it taste better?

Lucky them, I guess.

Andy_Panthro:
I'm sure they'll be able to make fine margaritas. [see further, Red Dwarf]

That's not margaritas! That's urine re-cyc!

Glad I didn't have to test that.

It was probably the only cool thing about waterworld.

And people say Jarate is disgusting.

Urine has so many benefits!

chimmers:
Probably a great idea and invention, but damnit if it doesn't put a major dent in my ambitions of astronaut fun...

probably itd awesome but im not to thrilled about drinking my waste

vivaldiscool:
Urine is already fairly drinkable as a water source. I'm guessing this mostly just makes it taste better?

Mainly, it gets rid of the chemicals your body tossed out for a reason.

I imagine it took a very special kind of volunteer to be part of that "rigorous testing."

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I imagine it took a very special kind of volunteer to be part of that "rigorous testing."

That made me laugh; I agree.

I doubt it tastes or smells like urine once the process is done, it would be interesting to get people to taste test it verses some name brand bottled water providers.

It's pretty simple really. Only 10% of our urine is the actual urinematter, the rest is 90% water mixed with it, so it can leave our bodies more easily. The machine simply sorts water from urinematter, giving us 9 deciliters of water per liter off pee. A few chemical filters is all you need to seperate the water and urinematter, giving you 100% pure water.

oliveira8:

dogstile:
thats not right

urine tastes disgusting

So you tried it already?

yep

its baaaaad

Sucks to be the one who found out it was broken in the first place.

I read the title and was like: "!?"
I read the article and was like: "!? ... Ewwww!"

I wonder if it's been recycled enough times to begin tasting like Dutch lager yet. Kudos to you if you get the reference. And to everyone saying it's disgusting... Unfortunately its most likely going to be very necessary if we want to explore space. Still, sucks to be an astronaut right now.

squid5580:
Sucks to be the one who found out it was broken in the first place.

Hey OH!!!

----------------

But seriously, we're that much closer to still-suits! Next thing you know, we're gonna be riding the mighty Sand Worm!

[insert your own innuendo here]

Oh man, just to fuck with people I would put something in the purifier that makes the water come out yellow.

It's a great idea. Almost like those costumes in dune. Haha.

I also saw it works with sweat, too.
But what happens if everyone has massive bladder malfunctions?

Wait.... they'd probably die sooner from that. >.>;

Tenmar:

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking... Well, good for them... I hope it tastes okay.

Took them long enough, they've been recycling piss in Waterworld since 1995.

Khell_Sennet:

lol,very true. In fact, no matter what pool or lake or body of water you're in, chances are someones peed in it.

dogstile:
thats not right

urine tastes disgusting

Its not acutally urine dude.
The machine recycles the water in the urine, taking out all the 'waste'.
infact, guess what.
You know 'tap water', Guess where that comes from?
Oh? You didn't know that all the water you drink has been recycled?
Oh, and if your going to say "well, I don't drink tap water! I drink from
A) well
B) bottled water/spring

Guess what!

Well Water is still 'recycled' through a very similar process as (only naturally through various soils) to clean said water. And, so called bottled water/spring water, same thing. Bottle water is nothing more then re-labled tap water (minus the chlorine, which actually means, tap water is going to have less bacteria in it, and spring water, is the same as well water.

So yea, they aren't drinking urine, they are drinking water. If the machine works correctly.

Khell_Sennet:

We've been recycling water for far longer.
The military has had the technology to purify water for ages. at least the freaking 70s. And we've been doing it through natural drainage since about the time we learned NOT to drink water down stream of a toilet. ;)

Neat. But am I really the only one that's not grossed out by this? Like, seriously, as SinisterDeath has already said, ALL water, irregardless of where you get it from, is recycled. Albiet via natural methods like filtering through soil rather than being run through a machine. But it's still recycled.

SinisterDeath:

Khell_Sennet:

We've been recycling water for far longer.

'Twas a joke. Didja not see the movie?

I am sure it is perfectly fine water after it is filtered. I would probably be quite happy to drink it.. as long as I didn't know where ti came from....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here