Archie Andrews Chooses a Bride!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Archie Andrews Chooses a Bride!

Archie Andrews is getting married and you'll never believe who he's chosen for his bride! (No, it's not Dilton.)

It was revealed in mid-May that perennial bachelor (and waffler) Archie Andrews, whose long-running love triangle with Veronica Lodge and Betty Cooper has been a central feature of Archie Comics, had finally settled on the love of his life and was ready to pop the question. A different question was on the minds of Archie fans around the world, of course: Would he choose the perky, loyal, down-to-Earth Betty, or the exciting, temperamental and ridiculously rich Veronica?

And the winner is... Veronica! The cover of Archie issue 600 has been posted on the official Archie and Jughead blog, showing Archie making his proposal to Veronica while a stunned Jughead and tearful Betty look on. Reggie, presumably, is watching from a distance and formulating a plan to trick Moose into beating the crap out of him again.

I didn't see this one coming. Not Archie getting married and certainly not his choice of Veronica over Betty. But is it true? Is it really happening? Will Pals n' Gals be joined by Bored n' Cuckolded as the next big Double Digest? Bear in mind that Archie was expected to settle on one of the girls back in the 1994 arc Love Showdown but ended up surprising everyone by making a move on redheaded hottie Cheryl Blossom instead.

Let's also not forget that this is a comic book. Remember when Doomsday killed Superman? Or when Bane broke Batman's back? Or when it turned out that Spiderman was a clone? Or when Magneto ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine's skeleton? Or when the Punisher killed Nick Fury? Now guess how many of those world-changing events had any kind of permanence beyond an extended story arc or two. (Here's a hint: None of 'em.)

It sure looks like Archie is ready to commit, but does he have it in him to follow through? Or will he find some way to tap-dance out of it and return to his carefree, womanizing ways? The saga is set to unfold in a six-issue arc beginning in August with the release of issue 600. "One thing is certain," the Archie website says. "This will be the biggest Archie Comics story ever!"

via: CBC

Uh, Who/What is Archie again? I'm gathering from the article that it's a Romance comic book. While interesting, I still have to wonder what exactly is so important about it that it had to be posted in the news Section. Are you an Archie fan or something?

That's a surprise? I know he dated both of them, but I could have sworn Archie and Veronica were always the official couple.

Betty was always better.

grinklehi:
Uh, Who/What is Archie again? I'm gathering from the article that it's a Romance comic book. While interesting, I still have to wonder what exactly is so important about it that it had to be posted in the news Section. Are you an Archie fan or something?

It's kind of a hallmark in American pop culture. Like Happy Days, kind of, except they've kept it going for decades. And yet they still never graduated high school.

CantFaketheFunk:
Betty was always better.

grinklehi:

It's kind of a hallmark in American pop culture. Like Happy Days, kind of, except they've kept it going for decades. And yet they still never graduated high school.

60-odd years, I believe.

I can't believe the news coverage this is getting, even from big name news sources. N. Korea is getting all uppity, war rages in the Middle-East, all kinds of pandemics are poised to crash down on us.

But Archie's gettin' hitched! Drinks all 'round!

Oh please.. this is either going to end with him getting with Betty or staying single. Or, he ends up with Betty and Veronica gets with Reggie in a dual wedding.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go lift some weights to get this un-manliness out of my body..

Is it REALLY news-worthy?

I mean, this isn't half as important as when Captain America died some time ago.

Slow news day, huh?

But seriously, I didn't know that enough people still read this (at least in the age group appropriate to this website) for this to be considered relevant.

Booo!!!! He should have picked Betty. Archie you sold your soul for a few septillion dollars.

joystickjunki3:
Slow news day, huh?

But seriously, I didn't know that enough people still read this (at least in the age group appropriate to this website) for this to be considered relevant.

I doubt alot of us still read it now but I would bet that alot of us grew up reading it. It does have some nostalgic value. Now if you will excuse me I need to go shoot something in the face and get my man-card back.

squid5580:
Booo!!!! He should have picked Betty. Archie you sold your soul for a few septillion dollars.

joystickjunki3:
Slow news day, huh?

I doubt alot of us still read it now but I would bet that alot of us grew up reading it. It does have some nostalgic value. Now if you will excuse me I need to go shoot something in the face and get my man-card back.

Well, I didn't (no offense if you did); I read a different Archie Comics publication: Sonic the Hedgehog.

joystickjunki3:
I read a different Archie Comics publication: Sonic the Hedgehog.

WOW, you're young.

Is that the art they're going with these days? Man.. it looks worse than those yellowed old double-digests I still have buried in the back of the closet. Veronica and Betty had noses back in those days.

deathyepl:

joystickjunki3:
I read a different Archie Comics publication: Sonic the Hedgehog.

WOW, you're young.

If you don't mind me askin', how old are you?

Is the world really that rotten/boring today?

I should probably show this to my dad.

Indigo_Dingo:

Wow I just went from feeling fairly young to freakin ancient in the matter of 1 post.

squid5580:

Indigo_Dingo:

Wow I just went from feeling fairly young to freakin ancient in the matter of 1 post.

He always liked these comics - my grandfather gave him his collection.

Next issue: veronica forces Archie to sign prenup and marriage is off.

What? Whaaat?!

Archie, you blundering fool...clearly, Betty was the superior choice.

...being british AND underaged this is about as newsworthy as me reporting an intriguing and heartfelt tale writtin in first class english about me clipping my toenailes. But I suppose to some '_' Erm..okay.

STC ftw. *flee*

CantFaketheFunk:
And yet they still never graduated high school.

Just like 45% of my senior class.

Five people on earth care; four of them are ten years old.

Can we have some real news, please?

grinklehi:

Good god - I really feel old now. You haven't heard of Archie?

The Archie comics are less romance and more the precursor to the teen drama you would see on the WB here in the States, like One Tree Hill, Dawson's Creek, and the like, only it's more like teen comedy than anything. Now that I think about it, it might be more Saved by the Bell, though if you haven't heard of that, I'll feel old again for the second time in this thread.

News-worthiness aside (I sort of find some news articles on the Escapist odd, and this is one of those) to have Archie choose Veronica, ugh. Veronica never really had a great personality and there was always that rich girl attitude about her. Betty was clearly the better choice, so what kind of message are they sending to the core demographic by choosing Veronica? Marry rich, and the happiness will come after? Argh.

One can only hope something does happen to bring things back to the status quo, love triangle hijinks.

...does anybody here actually read Archie comics??? Aside from Malygris, apparently.

Hankage:
Five people on earth care; four of them are ten years old.

Can we have some real news, please?

Let's see if I've got this straight. News about videogames is "real" news, but news about comics is irrelevant trivia?

And here's a heads-up: Whatever coolness points you may have planned to pick up by letting the world know you don't reach Archie comics are completely negated by the fact that you came into an Archie comics thread, which you profess to have no interest in whatsoever, to do it.

As you folks may have noticed, we cover a wide variety of topics in our daily news. Games, robots, movies, , science, random stuff that just makes us laugh or say "hwa?" - if we think it's interesting, we share it. Now, not every story is going to be of interest to every single person here, of course, and that's ok. But are the "this isn't news" comments really necessary? If you don't think this is interesting, don't read it. I promise you, we have plenty of other news that you'll find intriguing and worth your while.

Also, Veronica is just using Archie as a beard. She's been dating Betty for years. I'm tellin' ya.

squid5580:

Indigo_Dingo:

Ya'know Archie has been around sence the 50s. If you've really been that long of a reader then I'd say your probably the oldest person posting on this site. Including the owners.

CantFaketheFunk:
Betty was always better.

grinklehi:

First off: isn't Veronica supposed to be sort of a witch? That's all I can remember...

I remember reading this as a kid. Forget when I stopped... it was a LOOONG time ago.

Ain't those time paradoxes quaint?

scotth266:

CantFaketheFunk:
Betty was always better.

grinklehi:

First off: isn't Veronica supposed to be sort of a witch? That's all I can remember...

I remember reading this as a kid. Forget when I stopped... it was a LOOONG time ago.

Ain't those time paradoxes quaint?

Sabrina was the witch. Her comics were an Archie spin-off.

I *really* don't get why I'm supposed to care, but still, I respect the makers of the comic for going as long as it has. It's like a memento to the way things used to be, before technology took over the world.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo....Betty would have been so much better. Veronica is likely to divorce him and take him for all he's worth!

Onyx Oblivion:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo....Betty would have been so much better. Veronica is likely to divorce him and take him for all he's worth!

Veronica has more money then he could ever sneeze at. Also she's hotter. Being the Devils Advocate, Betty is nice but she's a doormat, she lacks spark. She just luvs Archie too much cause he's her widdle snufflwuddums *gag*. Veronica would be a more interesting, challenging, and exciting spouse. Marriages are built on the compatability of how the two personalities interact, not affection.

Anyway, i've read Archie and IT'S BORING AS HELL so I don't really care. It's just the same old gags about Archie being clumsy or the girls being unreasonable over and over.

Anyway I garuntee it's some sort of fakeout

grinklehi:

What. Are you like 10?! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW ARCHIE?!?! GET THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETS AND GO READ SOME ARCHIE!

Also, he shoulda choose Betty. Veronica is a bitch. Betty was hawt. And the fact that she was a doormat means he probably coulda done some terrible terrible things in the sack.

CoziestPigeon:
And the fact that she was a doormat means he probably coulda done some terrible terrible things in the sack.

This is exactly what I was thinking but I didn't want to be the one to bring it up. :)

There has to be a catch here, some kind of dodge. Unless the entire Archie universe is being wound down, which I'm sure we would've heard about, you just can't trash 60+ years of continuity with a marriage. The most basic, fundamental aspect of the character is that he's an eternal teenager; no matter what else happens in the world, Archie will always be a klutz, he'll always drive a piece of crap car, he'll never be able to hold a job and he'll always be trapped between Betty and Veronica. Marriage simply cannot happen.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here