StarCraft II On Target For '09 Release

Pages 1 2 NEXT

StarCraft II On Target For '09 Release

Blizzard supreme overlord Mike Morhaime confirmed that the long-awaited StarCraft sequel was slated for release before the end of the year.

In an investor webcast, Mike Morhaime - president and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment - said that the company was hoping to release the first part of the upcoming StarCraft II trilogy, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, in late 2009:

"We're targeting an end of year release this year for StarCraft II," said Morhaime. "But as always, we won't release it until it meets our standards and the expectations of our players."

This dovetails nicely with the recent revelation that the SC2 beta would start this summer - likely preceding a release date at BlizzCon if not earlier, if last year's Wrath of the Lich King beta was any indication.

(Via Joystiq)

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!

Starcraft II coming out in '09, huh? Yeah, so is Duke Nukem Forever... I'll believe it when it's sitting on a shelf at my local store.

I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like all things Starcraft get pushed to the back burner at Blizzard. If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.

So for now im still waiting, good times.

Anyone knows how much will it cost?

And no more "When it's done"? Is Blizzard suddenly breaking with tradition?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!
Gha! My blood pressure! I think someone is trying to kill me. L4D2. StarCraft 2. Gha ..

oliveira8:
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!

Were you in a movie theater and hear someone say they have popcorn?

Martymer:
Starcraft II coming out in '09, huh? Yeah, so is Duke Nukem Forever... I'll believe it when it's sitting on a shelf at my local store.

Just to spite you, your local store won't order any copies.

They have a vague, uncertain release date, which is better than nothing. Shows they've actually been working on the game.

randommaster:

oliveira8:
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!

What? No.

dirk45:
And no more "When it's done"? Is Blizzard suddenly breaking with tradition?

Well, how I'm interpreting it is it's still, "When it's done," they're just hoping that it'll be done by the end of '09 :P

Avaholic03:
I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like all things Starcraft get pushed to the back burner at Blizzard. If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.

Well, considering that they've got a big building on their campus that is *just* their RTS team, and that their WoW/D3/UNANNOUNCED PROJECT teams are all in their own areas... any delay isn't because they're working on other projects, but more because the RTS team is just taking a long time.

Hmmm...

Interesting news. But like all things in life when it concerns me, I'll "only be happy when the keys are in my hand".

Translation:

I won't get my hopes up until I see the actual game on a computer game's retail shelf.

I got a feeling it won't be out by the end of this year. Doesn't bother me anyway, I am still saving money for a new computer that can hopefully run it, and that might be longer!

Martymer:

Which is exactly why they also said "But as always, we won't release it until it meets our standards and the expectations of our players."

Hence, they would like to get it out by the end of '09 but can't promise anything... Not even in the same boat as Duke Nukem Forever... Not by a long shot.

Avaholic03:
If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.

Then I'm thankful your not in charge.

Quality > Quantity

Huh, I should really get back to completing Brood War sometime soon...

I thought I had until at LEAST 2018...

My main interest in Starcraft 2 is watching the e-sport action that will surely ensue.

Avaholic03:

That's why its a "trilogy" this time around...
Why sell 1 game when you can sell 3.

oliveira8:

randommaster:

oliveira8:
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!

What? No.

Don't worry, it's just a really obscure reference.

Thank god, I've been waiting for this game since I was six years old. I worshiped Blizzard because of Starcraft and will most likely begin again when this is released.

What about D3??!??

I want demons!!!

Sounds solid; but knowing Blizzard, they'll hold the game until next year...

Ah what the hell. Fuck yeah, Starcraft 2!

I'm with the rest of the doubters, it'll be a Spring '10 release at the earliest.... which I'm ok with with that means more possible free beta action.

To Blizzard, from my favorite artist Salvador Dali:

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."

Martymer:

Nah, Blizzard are actually capable of making a game inside of 10 years, heh ;).

Anywho, I'm looking forward to the continuing of the single player story, hopefully they won't have completely ignored it in favour of the multiplayer.

Chipperz:
Huh, I should really get back to completing Brood War sometime soon...

I thought I had until at LEAST 2018...

Set aside a weekend, it's time well spent. <3
I replayed both SC and BW about half a year ago.

k-sigh

Araman:
I'm with the rest of the doubters, it'll be a Spring '10 release at the earliest.... which I'm ok with with that means more possible free beta action.

The game's been playable - and awesome - since at least last year's BlizzCon. Honestly, I have no idea what the hell they'll have been doing in the year since I played what could have passed for a final product in Irvine :P

CantFaketheFunk:

Araman:

The game's been playable - and awesome - since at least last year's BlizzCon. Honestly, I have no idea what the hell they'll have been doing in the year since I played what could have passed for a final product in Irvine :P

One word: perfection. In 2006 I played a perfectly release-able Starcraft:Ghost demo on the E3 floor, but that didn't stop them from scrapping it altogether. Now, that's definitely not to say that there's any chance in hell that they'd scrap SC2, but it tells you a lot about their storied work ethic and when they say "it's done when it's done" they damn well mean it!

Martymer:

except duke nuken forever is out so yeah

ok to the guy said its a trilogy for more money, look up their announcement, it isnt, they are making a trilogy so they can make each game epic there were three options which was a linear campaign and downsize everything
they could make each game as big and epic they could but release them seperately
or they could make a compromise and do it somewhere in the middle but that would delay the game greatly, tell me, which would you pick?

Martymer:

Duke nukem forever s on it`s way and it awesome ,just watch yahtzee review XD

It's about effin time... but did we have to wait about a decade just for sequal? I know the time is given to polish it but Halo made a trilogy, and improved greatly (gameplay wise) before Starcraft made a sequal. Also look at Starcraft: Ghost... that was trashed after years of anticipation. But I'm looking forward to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, I want those games so bad. :P

Sethstorm:

[/quote]

timmytom1:

Please tell me you guys are joking. I really hope you're being sarcastic, because otherwise you not only believe what Yahtzee said about the controls (X to pick your nose, bumpers to wiggle your ears, etc), you also can't read, which makes me wonder you can write... You do know that Yahtzee's review was a joke, right? It was his way of commenting on the fact that Take Two has had enough and is suing 3DRealms for not developing the game that they've been payed to develop. 3DRealms is going out of business. DNF is dead.

Sorry for going off topic. Please don't reply to this in this thread... It's supposed to be about Starcraft II.

Martymer:

Sethstorm:

timmytom1:

Please tell me you guys are joking. I really hope you're being sarcastic, because otherwise you not only believe what Yahtzee said about the controls (X to pick your nose, bumpers to wiggle your ears, etc), you also can't read, which makes me wonder you can write... You do know that Yahtzee's review was a joke, right? It was his way of commenting on the fact that Take Two has had enough and is suing 3DRealms for not developing the game that they've been payed to develop. 3DRealms is going out of business. DNF is dead.
Sorry for going off topic. Please don't reply to this in this thread... It's supposed to be about Starcraft II.[/quote]
that... actually makes alot of sense i guess a bunch of people cant see inbetween the lines, myself included and back on the starcraft topic, from what i have heard starcraft is coming out in 09 though it could be anywhere untill december AND anything not announced by blizzard is in fact rumours, so dont trust me on that

Should we start unfreezing all those rich Starcraft players now?
Free up some space in the cryogenics labs.

It better be PRETTY.DAMN.GOOD.
11 years is too long a time to wait for a game.

"Hell... it's about time."
Remember those words? I first heard them a little over two years ago. It IS about time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here