Nintendo, Team Ninja Collaborate on Metroid: Other M

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo, Team Ninja Collaborate on Metroid: Other M

Nintendo has announced a new Metroid title for the Wii, co-developed with Team Ninja: Metroid: Other M.

You could almost hear the hardcore gamers in the audience at Nintendo's E3 press conference breath a collective sigh of relief as Reggie Fils-Aime announced another Mature title to add to the Wii's line-up: Metroid: Other M. Co-developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja (of Ninja Gaiden fame) under the moniker "Project M," the game appears to feature a slightly darker, more violent tone than previous Metroid outings, along with a new third-person perspective. The game's release date remains unannounced.

Third person?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I realise it's dumb to judge a game that no-one has seen based purely on a camera perspective, but the first person nature of Prime was one of my favourite things about it, it was a first person adventure that worked.
Sad, sad day.

Edit# Watched the trailer, she spoke, which freaking idiot gave samus a voice? Ninja Gaiden clone incoming...

I would've rather they announced Metroid Dread, but this is fine.

Garrig:
I read this, and I swear, I shivered at the sheer possibilities.

Speed Booster's return is nigh

[edit] Oh yeah, First!

Rule number 1 of any website (especially here): No-one cares if you post first, at all. ;)

Hellz to the yeah, a new Metroid with blood and big Samus boobies. \o/

I need a Wii, seriously...

If anyone laughed at that, go die.

fix-the-spade:
Third person?

I realise it's dumb to judge a game that no-one has seen based purely on a camera perspective, but the first person nature of Prime was one of my favourite things about it, it was a first person adventure that worked.
Sad, sad day.

Well, this isn't a first person adventure game, by the looks of it. It's like a combat-heavy third-person action game, so yeah, it's a different camera for a different style.

I thought I caught glimpses of some first-person sequences though, so you never know.

Team Ninja? That sounds promising xD

SecretTacoNinja:
I need a Wii, seriously...

If anyone laughed at that, go die.

But I don't want to :'(

Looked pretty cool not sure about the subtitle though. Other M... hmmm

Also before you get in a tizzy over Team Ninja doing this, remember a bunch of the core Ninja Gaiden and DoA staff are working with Itagaki on his new game as a new team. So this is kinda like the husk of Team Ninja.

PLEASE post the video ASAP. I don't care if the title sounds like some sort of JRPG, it's Metroid, and I want it, nao.

ZeroMachine:
PLEASE post the video ASAP. I don't care if the title sounds like some sort of JRPG, it's Metroid, and I want it, nao.

It looked insane, and it's an interesting addition to the series. Once the trailer is up i'll post to high hell.

Team Ninja? I don't want a Ninja Gaiden clone in my Metroid. What's next? Samus at the beach with the DOA girls? Yes, i'm skeptical. I prefered Retro Studios. Just give us some info ASAP Nintendo so I can calm down.

*groan* Goodness Gracious, an M-Rated Metroid with Team Ninja working on it...

I see...

Samas + Zero Suit + Third Person + Massive Jiggle Physics...

This is not a good thing in my mind.

Here is the trailer guys and gals. It looks great, and it still as some first person elements to. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metroid-other/50237#comments_top

This game looks like it will be amazing!

*Does a little jig*

EDIT: *Watches the trailer*

...What the fuck is this?

Hmmmmm...

I'm not sure what to think. What's with this "other M" tag? I dunno....probably still goning to check it out, however.

Keane Ng:
Well, this isn't a first person adventure game, by the looks of it. It's like a combat-heavy third-person action game, so yeah, it's a different camera for a different style.

I thought I caught glimpses of some first-person sequences though, so you never know.

My impression is that Other M is a hybrid between Metroid classic and Prime games, taking the best aspects of both. As you can see, there are parts like Samus' super-fast-run-through-walls-thing that are taken directly out of Super Metroid, whereas aiming brings you right to the first person perspective and likely a control scheme similar to that of the Prime games. Of course, I could be making a few leaps here - but it seems logical enough. After all, we're talking about the collaboration between two very talented developers here. Nintendo and Team Ninja teaming up is... unexpected and, in my opinion, legendary. Metroid Prime is difficult enough as is. Can you imagine what will happen when Team Ninja gets a hold on it?

Hmm....why did they have to give her a voice? Also, I think this'll be set before Fusion, and I think Adam Malkovich(her CO that she references in fusion) is in it.

This and Mario Galaxy 2 saved the show and made me want a Wii.

What I want is a combination of Prime combat with PoP action.

A more story-driven prequel to the original Metroid games?

Yes, please.

Erana:
What I want is a combination of Prime combat with PoP action.

You mean a combination of original Prime combat with what Metroid used to be about?

Jordan Deam:
Reggie Fils-Aime announced another Mature title to add to the Wii's line-up: Metroid: Other M. Co-developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja (of Ninja Gaiden fame) under the moniker "Project M," the game appears to feature a slightly darker, more violent tone than previous Metroid outings, along with a new third-person perspective.

Darker, more mature style with a more colorful, vibrant pallete? As a Metriod fan, I'm worried. The trailer looked so... awkward to me, and with a strange mix of gameplay mechanics. Third person free roaming! Third person side scrolling! Third person not-side-scrolling-but-with-a-fixed-path! First person! Throw in some CG cutscenes that looked like another title with Samus intravenously injected and Samus having voiced lines, I can't help but be worried. I just hope they can pull it off.

It's moments like these that make me proud to be a Wii owner.

Keane Ng:
Also before you get in a tizzy over Team Ninja doing this, remember a bunch of the core Ninja Gaiden and DoA staff are working with Itagaki on his new game as a new team. So this is kinda like the husk of Team Ninja.

So who's working on Gaiden Sigma 2 and Quantum Theory? Every develope these days has at least 5 projects on simultaneously.

Oh go, this could be truly awful. Samus Aran with jiggle physics....

Trailer here.
I am pants-wettingly excited about this.

I'm very conflicted about this. The metroid prime formula was only established after the origional idea was scrapped for being rubbish and rebuilt. I'm afraid that team ninja, due to their pedigree, may be given more of a leash to mess with things.

Honestly, any new metroid is a good thing. But HtH combat? Switching from first to third person rapidly? Giving Samus a voice? Could be a very mixed blessing.

gmer412:
Hmm....why did they have to give her a voice? Also, I think this'll be set before Fusion, and I think Adam Malkovich(her CO that she references in fusion) is in it.

Well, the first hint to it being before Fusion was the fact that Samus isn't in the Fusion Suit (like in my Avatar) but the classic Power Suit. The second would be that she was fighting Ridley, who is DEAD dead (seriously, dead) after Fusion.

But yeah, that was definitely Adam. And seeing his character is the only reason I would get this game. The graphics are making Metroid look way to much like an anime. The gameplay seems to say "fuck the classic adventuring for a clusterfuck of whatthefuck" jumping around and insane combos which I hate in games. And the story... I have a feeling it's going to lose it's unique feel. Plus, Nintendo, show us what happens after Fusion already...

I really don't have high hopes about this game. Fingers crossed that it'll prove me wrong.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!

edit: sorry about that. This is great news and a reason to keep my Wii.

I would have rather they started a new trilogy with the same developers. This looks alright, but it doesn't look metroid to me, rather a ninja gaiden with a shiny suit. I would like to see a lot more in game footage before I could ever get excited for this.

Because Nintendo outsourced Metroid the first time we have the greatest game ever made ever. Have a little faith, and it just might be rewarded.

fix-the-spade:
Third person?

Sad, sad day.

Edit# Watched the trailer, she spoke, which freaking idiot gave samus a voice? Ninja Gaiden clone incoming...

it think they will do the targeting in more of a Gears of War style. You will still see the cross hair regardless, but you will be able to see something sneak up on you.

Maybe the "M" stands for "Mature"...
*raises eyebrows*

mmmm... I think i'll pass. I can't take Team Ninja's involvement on the game seriously. Though when it comes to games with combat involving curvy women, Team Ninja knows that best.

But the latter is something that i'm sure they'll spend the most time on. Next they'll put her in a bikini.

super_smash_jesus:
I would have rather they started a new trilogy with the same developers. This looks alright, but it doesn't look metroid to me, rather a ninja gaiden with a shiny suit. I would like to see a lot more in game footage before I could ever get excited for this.

blackcherry:
I'm very conflicted about this. The metroid prime formula was only established after the origional idea was scrapped for being rubbish and rebuilt. I'm afraid that team ninja, due to their pedigree, may be given more of a leash to mess with things.

Honestly, any new metroid is a good thing. But HtH combat? Switching from first to third person rapidly? Giving Samus a voice? Could be a very mixed blessing.

PedroSteckecilo:
*groan* Goodness Gracious, an M-Rated Metroid with Team Ninja working on it...

I see...

Samas + Zero Suit + Third Person + Massive Jiggle Physics...

This is not a good thing in my mind.

Through the general tone of this thread, it seems like people are worried about how this game will turn out. First of all, remember that people were freaking out when the Prime series was given to Retro Studiios, so a simple studio switch is not something to worry too much about.

Secondly, remember that the old Metriod games were not first person. A behind-the-back view seems, to me, to be similar to a side view. One of the advantages is that you get to use upgrades that you can't use well in first person, such as the speed booster, as seen in the trailer, and the gravity jump/spin attack. As for the aiming in first person, I have yet to see someone complain about Zelda games doing this. As for the combat, it looks like you can auto-aim which is good, as it lets you move around freely without having to worry about your aim. Also, the boss fights appear to have retained their puzzle elements, so you have tradirional gameplay, but when you damage the boss, you can see a short cutscene of Samus being awesome. Last thing about all the combat, I highly doubt that anybody wanted to show Samus wandering around the environment, as they want to make people excited. To do this, they chose to show a bunch of combat scenarios. You didn't see any elevator scenes in the Mass Effect trailers, did you?

Lastly, as far as the jiggle physics go, they don't go well with Samus' armor, which seems to be what you will be using throughout the game, as playing as Zero Suit Samus is still a big deal for a lot of people. Even if we do get to play as Zero Suit Samus, there's not that much to jiggle. Compared to most females in the game world, Samus has a realistic figure. Additionally, getting to see Samus out of the Power Suit has always been something you have to earn by being awesome at the game, not something you get for simply playing the game.

Just chill out and wait for a bit more information.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here