UPDATE: Sony Announces Final Fantasy XIV Online

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

UPDATE: Sony Announces Final Fantasy XIV Online

During its media briefing, Sony revealed Final Fantasy XIV Online, due out next year.

Final Fantasy XIV will be a PlayStation 3 exclusive, but Sony revealed little more than that. We saw a video, which was the typical gorgeous cinematics that we've come to expect from Square Enix. We saw a few characters, an epic vista, and a chocobo.

UPDATE: Square Enix has launched a teaser site, which features the trailer shown at the Sony press event (displayed below), and includes the additional information that the game will also be released on the PC.

UPDATE: In a private press conference and Q/A session, Square Enix denied that FFXVI is a PS3 exclusive. Square Enix VP Shinji Hashimoto responded "We are considering all options at this time," via a translator, when asked about a release on the Xbox 360.

It was also revealed that the game will have a simultaneous worldwide launch in English, French and Japanese. Gameplay is intended to be more casual than Final Fantasy XI, and comparisons to World of Warcraft were made regarding accessibility.

Damn late 09 and 2010 are gonna be a Final Fantasy overload. Die hard fans are gonna be bankrupt but tremendously happy. Now....WHERE THE FUCK IS MY FF13 AGITO!? damn you SE hurry up!

You say online, implying another MMORPG from them?

Will it hit the PC for the major MMORPG leagues?

Samurai Ralan:

Not so much implying as confirming I think ;)

I am forever happy.
Aslong as it's abit easier than XI

Samurai Ralan:

Well I think the big difference is that it is a PS3 exclusive MMORPG. They have Final Fantasy XI Online currently which was a PS2 and PC online game, but I believe now also for the Xbox 360.

Meh, they should stop putting the MMORPGs into the main numbering line.

KDR_11k:

Yea I mean whats wrong with calling it Final Fantasy Online? It's far less misleading.

This could be epic.

I'm hoping since its a ps3 exclusive, its a more console friendly MMO.

Delmar Wynn:

Samurai Ralan:

Well I think the big difference is that it is a PS3 exclusive MMORPG. They have Final Fantasy XI Online currently which was a PS2 and PC online game, but I believe now also for the Xbox 360.

It is also for 360.

And this assuages my fears, as I felt that this would be a new single-player game. I think it's that Sony will be fighting for exclusives like this but the main single-player games will be for both 360 and PS3 at this point.

An MMO just for 1 console, yea that isn't going to tank fast...

Why must they keep numbering the online installments?

Other than that...

PROFANITY!

Quit wasting time on MMO's and give me my singleplayer RPG's you squeenix douchebags!
(I've been waiting to say that since FFXI came out)

Meeeh... I know im gonna end up buying it...

KDR_11k:

Oh and I agree with this.

-Seraph-:

KDR_11k:

Yea I mean whats wrong with calling it Final Fantasy Online? It's far less misleading.

How so?

Its not like any of the other final fantasies bleed into the next one. FFX2 is an acception, there is a none roman numeral...

It's just rather misleading as most numerical FF's are single player full story RPG's while 11 and this one are MMO's which just don't seem to fit in with what I guess I'll call tradition. When you hear Final Fantasy (insert number) most people expect a single player RPG, not some MMO. I remember how shocked some people where when 11 was announced to be an MMO, certainly gave me my fair share of WTF? (confusion type not anger type)

I'm sorry, but don't you have to release XIII to announce XIV? Hell, I'll announce right now that FF XV will be released Christmas 2013. There, I've just given you information as accurate as any you'll get from SE 'til the release.

*bangs head on wall* ow, ow, ow, ow Didn't they learn from that online debacle known as FF11? And yes, where the hell is my FF13, I need to buy it and not finish it because its to damn long.

Even from that mini video and having no concrete facts on gameplay or mechanics. I'm extremely underwhelmed right now.

I used to think that FFXIII looked beautiful and I was more then excited to play it but now I just... don't care, preemptive burnout almost?

However on topic another MMO is not what is needed. If they develop a game that is "buy and play" like Guild wars that WILL be successful, however another subscription based PS3 exclusive is not going to sell extremely well...

I just think it's sad that Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 (Both games I'm excited for, but still) got far more cheering than all the Square announcements

I just hope this time, the game will be an RPG that just happens to have an "O" aspect, rather than another generic MMORPG.

KeyMaster45:
*bangs head on wall* ow, ow, ow, ow Didn't they learn from that online debacle known as FF11? And yes, where the hell is my FF13, I need to buy it and not finish it because its to damn long.

I wouldn't call FF XI and "debacle" since it does have a few hundred thousand players but I get what you mean.

I hope it will be something different and not a generic MMO.

Rednog:

Seriously. XI was also for the PC, and later the Xbox 360. Would XI have any following now if it were PS2 only? My guess is a great big "Hell no".

Big wtf moment when they announced it. Thought it was just a joke when he said it'd be coming to the PS3 (and exclusive) in 2010. Then the trailer. Then 'online'. Then I lost interest.

I haven't played a single eastern MMO that was good.

And believe me, I've played plenty.

Isn't this for the PC too - if I remember rightly the wording implyed it would be.

It'll eventually be released for PC just like the XI was first released for the Ps2. I have no interest in putting thousands of hours into an MMO, NT.

Delmar Wynn:

Samurai Ralan:

Big difference only in that it its only one one platform, or does that imply some major difference?

ROBO_LEADER:

Rednog:

Seriously. XI was also for the PC, and later the Xbox 360. Would XI have any following now if it were PS2 only? My guess is a great big "Hell no".

The number of players would probably remain the same, that is, committed Final Fantasy fans. The number of platforms isn't likely to affect it that much - lets face it, you're hardly likely to score with the casuals with a game like Final Fantasy XIV

dante brevity:
I'm sorry, but don't you have to release XIII to announce XIV? Hell, I'll announce right now that FF XV will be released Christmas 2013. There, I've just given you information as accurate as any you'll get from SE 'til the release.

lol sounds about right. XIII would be out by now though if it wasn't for the damn 360 port:/

I can imagine the money Microsoft will have to shell out to get this baby.

They'll be bankrupt by the time they get it.

y8c616:
lol sounds about right. XIII would be out by now though if it wasn't for the damn 360 port:/

No, it wouldn't. They're still working on it, which is why it's not out in Japan yet, where it's a PS3 exclusive.

It won't be out in Japan until winter of this year. And it's past time for them to say a release date already. Or at least the expected price, something.

yeah_so_no:

y8c616:

No, it wouldn't. They're still working on it, which is why it's not out in Japan yet, where it's a PS3 exclusive.

It won't be out in Japan until winter of this year. And it's past time for them to say a release date already. Or at least the expected price, something.

Well last i heard the ps3 version was done, but because they want to do a simultaneous release, they're holding the completed ps3 article back; possibly just a rumour though

Indigo_Dingo:

ROBO_LEADER:

Rednog:

The number of players would probably remain the same, that is, committed Final Fantasy fans. The number of platforms isn't likely to affect it that much - lets face it, you're hardly likely to score with the casuals with a game like Final Fantasy XIV

I'd argue if any RPG/MMO series would attract the "casual" gamer then Final Fantasy would be it - the name alone is relatively well known and the series has an excellent reputation.

The chances of FFXIV "tanking" are virtually non-existent. Observe:

(A) it's Final Fantasy
(B) it's the only MMORPG on PS3
(C) FFXI was hugely successful... still is hugely successful
(D) it's Final Fantasy

All I heard was "Chocobo".
Where is this video?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or