Xbox 360 Has Ten-Year Life Cycle Too

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox 360 Has Ten-Year Life Cycle Too

Microsoft's Shane Kim recently claimed that, just like the PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360 will have a ten-year life cycle.

"Playing the long game" has been Sony's traditional fallback rationalization for the slow start of the PlayStation 3. All the way back in mid-2007, SCEA President Jack Tretton said Sony was committed to the PlayStation 3 for "the next ten years and beyond," a figure that was often repeated by company executives as they assured gamers that the console wouldn't be prematurely abandoned.

Now Microsoft says that it too has a ten-year plan for its console, driven by major innovations like Project Natal. "We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015," Kim, vice president of strategy and business development for Microsoft's game division, said in an interview with VentureBeat. "Project Natal is a great innovation. It will work with every Xbox 360 sold. It's not about pushing more pixels on the screen. It's about how to break down barriers that stop people from playing games."

Kim said Microsoft's commitment to Project Natal and the Xbox 360 is also visible in recent changes to its in-house development studios, noting that while Microsoft recently closed Ensemble Studios and Aces Game Studio it had also acquired Big Park Studio. "We made some hard decisions in the past. We made good decisions. We are still committed to first party. The Big Park acquisition should demonstrate that to folks," he said. "We were positioning for things like Natal and I don't think the talent at Ensemble or Flight Simulator were necessarily the right studios for that."

Too bad each individual system doesn't have that life cycle.

Good news.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

POW!

I think that is the biggest reason console gameing is becoming more popular than PC gaming.
10 years is a good life span, because then you won't have to worry about spending a small fortune on upgrades every 2 years.

Somehow I'm sceptical of this, as by 2015, the tech in it will be horrifically dated, not to mention the repair costs will keep on increasing. Personally, I see it coming to a close near the end of 2010, and Natal coming out with a new xbox.

That's nice to hear. Consoles will be more affordable.
Maybe this will also hold down developers from pushing the already expensive PC hardware too much as well.

Mazty:
Somehow I'm sceptical of this, as by 2015, the tech in it will be horrifically dated, not to mention the repair costs will keep on increasing. Personally, I see it coming to a close near the end of 2010, and Natal coming out with a new xbox.

Old tech hasn't stopped people releasing games for the PS2.

nilcypher:

Mazty:

That is true.

Mazty:

If they were going to do a new Xbox that early, we'd know about it by now.

Expect to see a new Xbox christmas 2011 at the earliest, with support for the Xbox 360 running alongside it for several years after it's release.

Remember, part of the "ten year lifecycle" includes the system existing alongside it's newer sibling.

nilcypher:

Mazty:

Yeah, but PS3's main point of sell is graphics. In 5 years, PCs will be strong enough to emulate PS3 without much trouble. Hell, in two years we will have much better graphics AND fluid gameplay.

Abedeus:

nilcypher:

Mazty:

Yeah, but PS3's main point of sell is graphics. In 5 years, PCs will be strong enough to emulate PS3 without much trouble. Hell, in two years we will have much better graphics AND fluid gameplay.

Right.

And how far along is the PS3 emulator?

That's what I thought.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

oooooh burn

From IRC:

Sony's response: "Oh yeah? Well the PS3 has an 11 year life cycle now. So hah"
Microsoft's counter-response: "Sony won't stop coming over to our side!"
Sony's response: "I'm not touching youuuuuuu"
Nintendo's response: "If you two don't settle down I am turning this console war around."

fenrizz:
I think that is the biggest reason console gameing is becoming more popular than PC gaming.
10 years is a good life span, because then you won't have to worry about spending a small fortune on upgrades every 2 years.

I don't upgrade my PC even that often, and it still plays most games just fine.
Then again...I haven't actually bought a game in quite a while - nothing recent has been any good.

Onmi:

Abedeus:

Right.

That's what I thought.

Pffft, you need a top end computer just to emulate ps2 hardware.

A PC that emulates the 360 and ps3 may be two years off, but will cost about a thousand dollars to get running. Why not buy a 360 and ps3 for $600, and have $400 left for games and controllers?

...I find myself decidedly unenthused about this announcement. Why are all the companies trying to produce the same lifespan as the PS2? The optimal time to release a new console is supposed to be about every six years or so. The PS2 remains so popular due to the high price point of the PS3 in my opinion. If the PS3 were a bit cheaper, you'd see the PS2 users flood over to get their hands on the latest iteration.

Guh. That was a bit rambling. Let me just say this: I do not believe that the 360 has a 10 year life cycle. It seems to have been built for the typical six, and Microsoft would do well to release the next iteration of the 360 in a few years to wash away all the negative feelings that have gathered around the 360. It's like the Vista of the consoles: and we need a Windows 7, stat.

I also don't think that the Wii or PS3 have 10 years in them either, though whether or not the PS3 has the ability to go the distance will rely on a great number of factors. The Wii?

I just can't see it happening.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Mine one of 1st gen and still going strong but right not built to last unlike consoles of old what just won't die short of a hammer. But be interesting what games will be like as might get some worth the 40 since production cost always coming down as already on limit to what it can do so devs might have to resort to old ways of a having games with a descent story, character development and originality.

fenrizz:

Where do these people keep coming from?
I will use a good personal example. Me.
3 year old system capable of running any game on the market and any game thats coming out in the future, 600, not had to have touched a single item since i bought it.

nilcypher:

Mazty:

Hanst stopped the PS2 from outselling the PS3 for the six months of its existance either ;D

The tech BTW there are only X shades of brown that people want to see. You notice alot of new games are using cel shading because its unique and distinct people dont play games to experience reality, & they certainly dont play simulators on consoles so graphical advancement its turning in on itself. Crysis might have looked awesome and Farcry might be spectacular but they were both at best average games.

johnman:

fenrizz:

Where do these people keep coming from?
I will use a good personal example. Me.
3 year old system capable of running any game on the market and any game thats coming out in the future, 600, not had to have touched a single item since i bought it.

I have no idea, but my machine is so old you can no longer buy any of the components it was assembled from with the exception of the mouse, keyboard & case (And mebbe ram) & it works flawlessly. In fact Crysis warhead runs too fast on it.

Darkrai:

nilcypher:

Mazty:

That is true.

Quality vs. quantity.
While it is true games for the PS2 are being released, all the big titles go with where the tech is sooner or later, especially if a successor is released.

FloodOne:

Onmi:

Abedeus:

Right.

That's what I thought.

A PC that emulates the 360 and ps3 may be two years off, but will cost about a thousand dollars to get running. Why not buy a 360 and ps3 for $600, and have $400 left for games and controllers?

Just for reference, my friend is only now able to emulate PS2 games with a good FPS, and he has a quadcore and 8gb of RAM.

It may have a 10 year life but I can see the last 3 at least being along side a new console, I feel the same about the PS3 as well, both consoles will look dated around 2015 no matter how good their hardware is.

Who ever releases a new console will completely out shine the existing as no 10 year old hardware can compete with new no matter how good it was at release.

So I would expect to see the big 3 (maybe only MS and Sony as I feel Nintendo may go the way of Sega) releasing new consoles around the same time(Christmas 2012?), in fact I would be surprised if Sony didn’t release first considering how far behind it was in sales because of Microsoft’s head start.

Onmi:

Abedeus:

nilcypher:

Mazty:

Right.

That's what I thought.

PS2 emulator already exists. PS3 emulator? I guess that as soon as i7 becomes the new standard. Maybe his successor, but it won't take much time.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Exactly what I thought.
I'm happy to hear this but also very, very skeptical.

I'm very very happy to hear this news. I've been saying for a while that the next consoles shouldn't be released until 2013.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Badum tish. As much as I love the system, it dies often enough that I own two of them.

Not that that stopped them both from dying at the same time once.

Ya know I can honestly expect Nintendo to create a console that will go past the capabilities of the PS3 and 360 in terms of power and just dominate the market because these two companies don't want to upgrade in the standard cycle. They might be causing their own demise.

I love how it's "removing barriers" but using motion control is in fact a barrier for people that are unable to move most of their body but ARE able to use a control - as it requires minimal movement. Just a thought.

EMFCRACKSHOT:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

oooooh burn

Not just oooburn, this is why I didn't get a 360. Sure the games might come out for 10+ years but I don't see any 360s going that long without a rrod.

Hopefully by then they can fix all the problems at least 99%. I mean c'mon! It's been 4 years and you're still getting errors at a pretty bad rate...

That is good to hear. I hope there is no new consoles till at least 2011. They need to let the game library build up some good games. Devs start maxing out what a system can do around 5 or so years. Plus a lot of quality games come out around that time.

Mazty:

I don't think so. I need to keep it in mind that creating a new console costs HUGE sums of money and time. Microsoft has not even made a proper profit of the Xbox 360 yet so there is no real reason too assume that they will make a new console anytime soon.

thank god i won't have to buy another $500 console anytime soon (here's hoping for no red rings of death though)

Mazty:

FloodOne:

Onmi:

Abedeus:

Right.

That's what I thought.

Just for reference, my friend is only now able to emulate PS2 games with a good FPS, and he has a quadcore and 8gb of RAM.

The reason is cause of the PS2 hardware(mainly the processor) is very different from PC hardware.

Same will happen to the PS3. PC hardware can match the PS3 hardware. But can it run PS3 games perfectly? Not for a long time, cause PS3 games are built on a hardware that doesn't exist for PC.

From Webster's:

Microsoft claiming they have a ten year life cycle plan for the Xbox360: Interjection, see:lies.
Definition: In the recent events that Microsoft has practically hit it's peak and doesn't want to admit their own pessimism and need to create a better console they claim they have a ten year life cycle.

I'm sorry, but in a few more years, the Xbox 360 will be severely dated and trash. Yes the PS2 is still being developed for, but the PS2 doesn't work for a year and stop working. A ten year life span requires the system to at least last half of that. And the on the line recalls, are evidence that it won't make it ten years.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here