David Carradine Found Dead

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

David Carradine Found Dead

Actor David Carradine, best known for his roles in Kill Bill and the 1960s television series Kung Fu, has died.

The son of prolific American actor John Carradine, David's career began in the early 60s with various roles in film and television, including a turn in the title role of the short-lived 1966 western series Shane. But his breakthrough came in 1972 with the cult favorite television series Kung Fu, in which he portrayed Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin monk who lives a lonely, nomadic existence wandering through the 19th century Wild West.

His career from that point was long, varied and not particularly noteworthy, although he did earn a certain degree of lasting fame as Frankenstein in the 1975 classic Death Race 2000. He also tried his hand at videogame work in 2006, providing the voice of William Sharp in the Volition sandbox game Saints Row. But it was mostly syndicated television series and low-budget crapola that marked his work, cementing his reputation as a solid B-movie actor.

But in 2003 Carradine experienced a renaissance of sorts thanks to his Golden Globe-nominated performance in Quentin Tarantino's two-part opus Kill Bill, in which he wowed audiences with his portrayal of the intense, psychopathically murderous yet somehow sympathetic title character. In spite of his newly-resurgent fame, however, Carradine showed no sign of easing up on his schedule; according to the Internet Movie Database he had roles in 14 separate projects in 2009 alone.

Carradine was found dead at a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand, where he'd been working on his latest film, Stretch. Initial reports suggested he had died of natural causes but it now appears that the actor committed suicide by hanging. He was 72.

Source: BBC

Some news source reported that he was also hanged from his genitals.

If that's true, man... Carradine left with a bang.

Awww man...

That sucks, i really liked him.

Now that I've said all of those, this thread is now 100% respectful. Thank me later.

Woah, thats so tragic. I like him.

:(
Im getting my Kung Fu dvds out now...

Man he had the best voice ever he will be missed.

TheTygerfire:

Now that I've said all of those, this thread is now 100% respectful. Thank me later.

Those weren't even that funny i'm sure the internet could come up with something much funnier and miles over the line.
Also :< This sucks.

Well that's too bad. I mean he was in nothing but garbage for about twenty years, but who could forget the legendary Frankenstein with the grenade-hand?

CrazyBerk:

TheTygerfire:

Those weren't even that funny i'm sure the internet could come up with something much funnier and miles over the line.
Also :< This sucks.

I know, but those are the most obvious and anything more would be a Probation (for myself or anyone else).

Sad, behind Lemoy he had my favorite voice in the whole world.

Who?

Suicide huh? How do you confuse natural causes for hanging? Here's a tip: If he's hanging by his neck from the ceiling, chances are it was hanging.

If it's true that he was in Epic Movie, then I don't blame him.

johnman:
Who?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4029254400/ch0141352

\o/

and what's with that "Epic" movie?

RIP well 72 he had a good life.

Malygris:
Initial reports suggested he had died of natural causes but it now appears that the actor committed suicide by hanging.

What's natural about hanging? "We found my great aunt last week in the river with cement shoes. We first suspected foul play or maybe a suicide, but it turns out that it was natural causes."

I could see it being a mistake if it was some sort of drug (legal or illegal) that stopped his heart, and at first they suspected cardiac arrest (based on his age)... but hanging? How do you suspect natural causes from that???

The master, dead? I call bullshit. He probably faked his death and is currently training in an abandoned warehouse for an underground death match tournament.

The first step of grieving is denial. :(

That's a shame, really sad to hear. His recent turn in Crank 2 was great.

I have no idea who the guy is, or anything about him. However, it's still sad that he's dead, and my sympathies go to his friends, family and anyone else who knew him. Rest in peace, David Carradine :(.

Trivun:
I have no idea who the guy is, or anything about him.

That's almost as sad as news of his death. :(

Dammit young 'uns, get out and see the greats before they're gone forever!!!!

This has been a public broadcast on behalf of people who have watched far too many old films.

Anyone who says "Who?" to Patrick McGoohan, Vincent Price, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Cushing, Bela Lugosi, David Carradine, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre really need to see one of their films. Desperately.
And I'm sure there's a number of equally great actors/actresses that could be added to that list.

TheTygerfire:

You forgot 'did he drop any good loot' which sadly appears to be the default response when things like this happen.

That said, I am deeply sorrowful to see a good actor like Carradine pass away like this. Especially because of suicide....what a waste.

That sucks.
Hanging?
Was he into the whole choke&poke thing?
I hope so.

I think the authorities are just telling the media that it was suicide. I'm almost certain that the cause of the death was from the Five Finger Exploding Heart Technique.

I keeed!

Seriously though, ashamed to so see him gone, but at least he left on his own terms. I'm sure he had his own reason for taking his own life. Beats dying hooked up to machines like a human vegetable.

R.I.P David Carradine.
You finally saw the grasshopper at your feet.

Eh? Originally... what?!

As has already been noted, how the hell do you find a corpse hanging by its neck and think "Yup, natural causes right there!"

I mean, the only logical explanation would be that someone found him and took him down beforehand. But even without a rope OR being told he was found hanged, I think broken neck/severe bruising around the throat might have been a give-away even in an initial statement.

It makes no sense.

i dont really care that much. alright, we lost a life, that happens everyday (dont call me a cold bastard, its true).

also, kill bill was probably the worst movie ive ever seen.

I am totally going to have to watch Kung Fu tonight this is a sad day :(
Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Woe Is You:
Some news source reported that he was also hanged from his genitals.

If that's true, man... Carradine left with a bang.

It's unsure if it's true or not. The news source where that bit of info came from was the same in this post, but they corrected the article 10 minutes after posting. Various reasons may apply as to why BBC changed the article, but i believe that no one wants to be known from dying by autoerotic asphyxiation (i'm not saying that he did, since there WAS a reason they changed it).
Another reason might be that by anouncing such information in the article could interfere with the ongoing police investigation, if they aren't considering suicide as probable cause.

he was a great actor, with an amazingly long career, he'll be sadly missed

Your next journey has begun, grasshopper. May it bring peace and joy to you forever.

Arrivederce, Bill, and rest peacefully.

This is really a shame.
And doubly so if he did truly commit suicide.

A great loss of talent. He'll be missed indeed.

Man this stinks :( RIP David. You're doing kung fu with the angels now.

Farewell, David. The world just got a little less awesome.

Damn. I liked this guy. Kind of like a mellow Eastwood. I thought he did great as the host of "Wild West Tech", especially given the kind of slop from the History Channel he had to work with.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here