Activision Suing To Stop Brutal Legend Release

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Anachronism:
I hate Activision so much.

First they ruin CoD for me, then they drop Brutal Legend because it "doesn't have sequel potential", and now they're suing EA for publishing the game that they dropped? They were the ones who said they didn't want to publish this game! Double Fine didn't abandon Activision; they were dropped at the wayside!

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I actually want EA to win this one.

Same here. It's a statement that brings bile to the top of my throat, but in this case EA is actually trying to give originality and innovation (plus Tim Schafer) a chance, and Activision is...well yeah.

This reminds me a lot of the 20th Century Fox lawsuit against Warner Bros. to stop Watchmen from coming out. Fox didn't really have a leg to stand on, but they went ahead with a bad idea anyway.

This sucks.. because honestly I have no love for either EA or Activision and It sucks that Schafer's game is getting caught up in the middle of this nonsense... you're talking about one of the greatest game creators in the business... why would Activision even CANCEL a game by him in the first place? Thats like cancelling a Tony Hawk game in production or a Kojima game. You know that these guys could make a game that is nothing but a series of cut scenes of themselves taking a dump and fondling their naughty bits and there is still a niche out there who would flock to store shelves to own it and I dare say there are even a few misguided souls who would take to the internet and defiantly declare such a game to the ultimate in gaming.

But with EA's slogan of "EA... or ELSE"
and Activision's slogan of "We Dont Want it Until you do"
I really wish we could fight back... I'd try to organize a counter boycott of Activision until they drop this ridiculous lawsuit, but that would be pointless because gamers have no sense of solidarity and boycotts havent worked since the civil rights movement in the 60's.

Perhaps Activision is affraid Brutal Legend will cut into sales of its next big release, and is lawyering up to kill or delay its release.

GODS DAMN IT! I have been waiting for this game longer than I can even remember now. The fact that the game exists, and I could play it by breaking into Double Fine HQ only fuels my rage.

I dont care who gets the money for it. I just want to play it.

Actually, thats a lie. I want Schaeffer to get all the money so that me makes Psychonaughts two.

Blizzard steals my soul with WoW and Activision is pulling this crazy stuff? Well, now I'm not buying Modern Warfare II and switching to Old Republic!

But seriously.

-5,000,000,000 respect for Activision. Now at -4,000,995,000

Regardless of the outcome, I would be really surprised if the game doesn't come out at this point. It seems like too much marketing, time and money have gone into this game to just abandon it over a law suit.

OrenA:
GODS DAMN IT! I have been waiting for this game longer than I can even remember now. The fact that the game exists, and I could play it by breaking into Double Fine HQ only fuels my rage.

do you want to hand you your night vision goggles?
or your spy kit gentlemen.

KeyMaster45:
Ok, so they saw all the great reception that Brutal Legends got at E3 and now they're mad that they dropped it. Tough titty IMO, you guys didn't want it so they brought the giant mountain of skulls to someone else.

Snooze you lose homie, snooze you lose...

Couldn't have said it better myself. If Activision get away with one of the only good games EA may ever publish or have anything to do with I will immeadiately drop buying their games for good.

Kotick you carpetbagger!

What happend to you Activision, you used to be cool.

Commander Breetai:
We now find ourselves defending Electronic Arts.

Ironic, no?

Nuts to that idea, I prefer to think of it as supporting Double Fine and Tim Schafer.

The idea of being a devoted supporter of Activision or Electronic Arts is laughable.
I don't think anyone who's been awake recently could honestly be happy with either of them.

This will not help Activision, and honestly after actions like this, they deserve everything that happens to them.

Oh come on!

Really? You want the rights to a game which you didn't want to publish and have no interest in whatsoever?

This is pretty much the bussiness equivalent of a child wanting something for the sake of having it!

RebelRising:

Keane Ng:
Jack Black flavored pie. Mmm!

*shudders*

Activision certainly aren't the nicest kids on the corporate block, are they?

no they are not they are more of the stupid jock bulie

Dear Activision,

Go to hell.

Love,
darthzew

No, seriously, this is ridiculous. Just let it go, Activision.

... Damn Activision. I'm gonna feel dirty when I play Wolverine next. Cheers. Seriously, I cannot wait for this damn game. If Activision stop it's release because they're throwing a tantrum they will witness rage the likes of which they've never seen.

Do I care? No.

The game doesn't interest me in the slightest, I might just have to laugh at whoever comes out worst though.

D_987:

jdnoth:

D_987:
these harsh economic times

Yeah. If they get any harsher the Activision executives might not be able to afford the mortgages on their gigantic, undeserved, palaces.

Source?

The billions of dollars they made last year with the merge with Sierra not enough?

Activision is worth 18.9 Billion dollars, EA is worth 14.1 Billion Dollars.

Harsh economy is not in the books of Activision, they have more than enough money.

And they releasing prototype, more Rock Band games(Or Guitar Hero whatever...), Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc etc in the future.

Oh and World of Warcraft is also a big crash cow.

hopeneverdies:
Why would you sue to get something you don't want?

Thats not the issue. Activision dropped it near the beginning when they didn't think it would be successful. Now that they've found support from another company and the game is about done and looks to be the next big thing, Activision wants a piece of the action.

Unfortunately, I'm worried that this could lead to issues with the game being released or the availibility of DLC. I hope this game doesn't get torn apart by waring business suits.

I can only say FUCK YOU Activision. Going to change their Wikipedia page now...

This, to me, makes about as much damn sense as Take Two suing 3D Realms. Companies are retarted.

"We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

Is this actually the exact words the EA people used?
Because if so, I now have conflicting levels of respect and scorn for that company.
It is a sad day in the gaming industry when another company can make EA look like the good guys.

I don't want this cookie, you have it.

*ten minutes later*

What do you mean you ate my cookie? I want it. It doesn't matter that I gave it away, it's mine. I WILL CUT YOU OPEN AND FEAST ON YOUR ENTRAILS TO HAVE MY COOKIE! Or, if you prefer, you can simply give me a share of YOUR cookies, and I will leave you alone.

KingPiccolOwned:
This, to me, makes about as much damn sense as Take Two suing 3D Realms. Companies are retarted.

Wait, back up. Why doesn't that make sense? Take-Two invested a lot of money in DNF, and 3DRealms assured them the game would come out. Now it's as good as cancelled?

What's wrong with that?

NoMoreSanity:
I can only say FUCK YOU Activision. Going to change their Wikipedia page now...

I can't believe I actually went to Wikipedia to check.

Moccamonster:

KingPiccolOwned:

Wait, back up. Why doesn't that make sense? Take-Two invested a lot of money in DNF, and 3DRealms assured them the game would come out. Now it's as good as cancelled?

What's wrong with that?

Yeah there's nothing wrong with Take-Two attempting to get their money's worth. Activision on the other hand, while they may or may not be owed money from Double Fine, they gave that up when they cut them loose.

tendo82:
Regardless of the outcome, I would be really surprised if the game doesn't come out at this point. It seems like too much marketing, time and money have gone into this game to just abandon it over a law suit.

Yeah, the game is definitely coming out. The real point of this lawsuit is to force Double Fine and EA to share a portion of the profits with Activation. Activation has backed them into a nice corner too, as the longest they will want to delay is the release is holiday season this year. Releasing past the holiday season next year would be a major blow.

KeyMaster45:
Ok, so they saw all the great reception that Brutal Legends got at E3 and now they're mad that they dropped it. Tough titty IMO, you guys didn't want it so they brought the giant mountain of skulls to someone else.

It wasn't "exploitable" enough for Activision, I suppose. Not enough "clear sequel potential."

meatloaf231:

KeyMaster45:

It wasn't "exploitable" enough for Activision, I suppose. Not enough "clear sequel potential."

Activision saw how little Schafer's last game, Psychonauts, sold(i believe around 10.000, i dunno), and realised that this game probably won't do any better.

Because we all have to admit, anyone who doesn't go to gaming sites and such, doesn't know jackshit about the title. So unless there's some good advertisement behind the title, i'm afraid this game won't do much better then Psychonauts.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Now we just need the Activision CEO's to drive their car into a swimming pool while EA demand a bowl of brown M&M's.

Well, now, the brown M&M thing was really a case of David Lee Roth being a fairly savvy businessman. Did they read the contract? Quick, inexpensive test, and quite hilarious.

oliveira8:
Activision...You were the ones that dropped the game...your fault.

Activision proving once again that its the worst of the worst in gaming industry.

Yep, it's shit like this that made me vote against them in the Great Voting Experiment.
Merging with Blizzard did not impute any higher quality to Activision products, while eating Pandemic-Bioware seems like did something for EA. Odd.

This is a good example of how pathetically incompetent those people running the show are. Grow some nuts and move on.

bingung Pictures, Images and Photos

GyroCaptain:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Now we just need the Activision CEO's to drive their car into a swimming pool while EA demand a bowl of brown M&M's.

Well, now, the brown M&M thing was really a case of David Lee Roth being a fairly savvy businessman. Did they read the contract? Quick, inexpensive test, and quite hilarious.

oliveira8:
Activision...You were the ones that dropped the game...your fault.

Activision proving once again that its the worst of the worst in gaming industry.

Yep, it's shit like this that made me vote against them in the Great Voting Experiment.
Merging with Blizzard did not impute any higher quality to Activision products, while eating Pandemic-Bioware seems like did something for EA. Odd.

The difference is that Pandemic and Bioware being merged into EA as a big oportunity and EA seems it will treat them properly.

Blizzard signed a big Fuck You to Activision when they said "We remain independent from you asses.". Thats why you don't see the name of Activision in Wrath of the Lich King cover.

Blizzard could work fine without Sierra or Activision. DOn't know why they don't man up.

Really this all depends on the contracts.

If Activision has a contract with Doublefine that essentially says "We pay you 15 million, we get to publish Brutal Legend" that has no specifid out clause for DoubleFine, they win. Doesn't matter if DoubleFine needed another x million to finish the game and went and got that from EA.. that's EA's problem.

What will unfortunately happen is Activision sues EA, EA will have to turn around and sue DoubleFine for selling them rights that they didn't legally own at that point, and Schafer will never again have managing control over a videogame company -- so kiss his creativity goodbye.

Oh, and some EA and DoubleFine lawyers will be looking for other work.

Moral of the story? Don't skimp on your legal team, boys.

Activision. I'd say they made a deal with the devil, but I'm pretty sure they are the Devil. Maybe Ozzy can help.

[quote="oliveira8" post="7.117249.2214519
Blizzard signed a big Fuck You to Activision when they said "We remain independent from you asses.". Thats why you don't see the name of Activision in Wrath of the Lich King cover.

Blizzard could work fine without Sierra or Activision. DOn't know why they don't man up.[/quote]
Well, yeah. My point was that Activision apparently can't learn by any kind of example. I mean, the Activision-Blizzard merger was purely business (and something I'm surprised Blizz would taint their names with), and the EA-Bioware/Pandemic merger was also part of a "Hai Gaiz, weer gud nao" public image and internal repair effort by EA.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here