EA CEO Predicts One BIllion Gamers Within Two Years

EA CEO Predicts One BIllion Gamers Within Two Years

EA CEO John Riccitiello predicts that the global gaming community will soon top one billion people, providing game makers with a huge opportunity for future growth.

The growth of the videogame market is being driven by "non-traditional" demographics like woman and seniors, who have little interest in what Tomonobu Itagaki is up to but have turned companies like PopCap and Big Fish Games into major success stories. Riccitiello said the changing gamer demographic is changing the face of the industry itself.

"A few years ago, I think there were a couple of hundred million consumer participants in our industry. I think we are going to break a billion in a year or two," Riccitiello said in an interview with Reuters. "[Non-traditional gamers] are participating in lots of different business models: Online casual PC, downloading games to their iPhones. They are doing micro-transactions on games like FIFA online."

As a result, Riccitiello said EA is releasing fewer games but maintaining a broad scope, ranging from hit franchises like the Madden NFL series to budget-price mobile phone games. "We are producing fewer titles than we used to, but I don't know that I would agree with the idea that you just can try to identify your hits before you launch them, and do nothing but that," he said. "We had the number one market share in our industry last year, and we had our fair share of hits."

And despite the punishing losses of the past fiscal year and numerous layoffs at the company, Riccitiello expressed confidence about the company's future, particularly regarding EA's commitment to the Nintendo Wii. "I feel good about where we are," he said. "I feel great about what we are showing."

One billion gamers, and 75% of them are going to be housewives, old people, and Obama playing Wii sports....I'll prep the bomb shelter.

Can't wait thats when I get harassed more by old people on XBL

Damn you whipper snapper!

Its the apocalypse, run for your lives!!!!!!!
Old people on xbox live, its a nightmare. Its bad enough when they tell me how much i suck when i'm at the busstation. On the otherhand, housewives=possibilities, oh yeah. Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Old people and housewives/people playing Sims 3/casual games are not real gamers. Same as someone who knows how to run isn't a marathon runner.

Besides, don't trust anything EA says. They ain't going to be a large part of that billion gamers if they keep destroying games' potential.

Next challenge: One Billion self-identified gamers.

Malygris, one minor grammatical nitpick- it's Billion, not BIllion. :)

Other than that- I'm proud of the fact that us gamers can finally say we number in the billions instead of the millions. Says something about the influence gaming has, don't it?

Abedeus:
Old people and housewives/people playing Sims 3/casual games are not real gamers.

No True Scotsman fallacy.

KDR_11k:

Abedeus:
Old people and housewives/people playing Sims 3/casual games are not real gamers.

We have encountered a problem nr. 666 with this post.

Message: It's complete bullplap. Gibberish. Please consider rewriting your post and rethinking your mind.

If you think 8-year olds over Live are racist and homophobic, wait till you hear those grandparents! "Back in my day, the blue team had to give the red team more respect! You damn kids, I was going to take that shotgun!"

Although I would never refer to an iPod or iPhone game as an actual "game". I think EA's CEO is confused about the definition.

ArcWinter:
If you think 8-year olds over Live are racist and homophobic, wait till you hear those grandparents! "Back in my day, the blue team had to give the red team more respect! You damn kids, I was going to take that shotgun!"

Although I would never refer to an iPod or iPhone game as an actual "game". I think EA's CEO is confused about the definition.

Oooh. He really thinks that iPod and iPhones are games? I thought they are just applications that imitate games, but are worse in most of the ways (mostly, gameplay, due to lack of d-pad and keys) than handheld consoles.

Abedeus:

KDR_11k:

Abedeus:

We have encountered a problem nr. 666 with this post.

Message: It's complete bullplap. Gibberish. Please consider rewriting your post and rethinking your mind.

You could have tried Wikipedia... I was accusing you of defining "real" gamers as whatever you find convenient to exclude people you don't like rather than any useful definition. As such your comment that they aren't "real" gamers is devoid of meaning.

HobbesMkii:
Next challenge: One Billion self-identified gamers.

Yeah, like that'll happen soon, the focus will shift from hardcore to casual and we'll die out..... /sigh

Eventually the good stuff becomes the popular stuff. That's when the people who actually cared about the good stuff in the beginning get the shaft.

Metallica is a good example. I love Metallica, but their stuff from mid-late ninties and St. Anger were just terrible MTV love.

KeyMaster45:
One billion gamers, and 75% of them are going to be housewives, old people, and Obama playing Wii sports....I'll prep the bomb shelter.

The only time I have seen more ignorance in one source is in a BNP leaflet.

KeyMaster45:

I doubt Obama plays wii sports, He probably plays Cod4. It would be so funny to be snipped by
0b4m40fus4f7w! For thouse who cant read leet that says Obama of usa ftw

Tehpwnsauce:

KeyMaster45:

Or possibly Fox News

AceDiamond:

Tehpwnsauce:

KeyMaster45:

Or possibly Fox News

^soooooo true!

This just goes to show, that game publishers need to take their CEO's, give them a cookie, and lock them in a closet FOREVER.

Tehpwnsauce:

KeyMaster45:

I'm honored to think you see me as a viable source of information, but it was a joke dude.

Abedeus:
Old people and housewives/people playing Sims 3/casual games are not real gamers. Same as someone who knows how to run isn't a marathon runner.

The irony is that these people who are not "real" gamers (I laugh at your arbitrary definitions, by the way) don't give a fuck whether or not you consider them to be "real" gamers or not. They're too busy having fun with their games.

Incidentally, what does it matter whether or not someone is a "real" gamer? Does it make them inherently better? Smarter? More capable at life in general? Is there any point in having the Abedeus Seal of Approval? Or is simply not being a "real" gamer reason enough to justify you denigrating them?

you know what? even with the growing casual market, thats a seriously optimistic prediction. Or rather pessimistic prediction, considering the "casual" part of what I just said...

I translate this as:
Ammount of pirates = potential sales(1.000.000.000) - actual sales(somewhere around 1.000.000 most of the time)
"See? costumers are outnumbered by pirates 1.000 to 1, that's why our drm now includes a pack of c4 in the box that will detonate if you fail the sudoku puzzle on the lock."

It's about damn time we started taking over the world.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here