Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

An E3 protest against Electronic Arts by a church group outraged over the publisher's upcoming action-adventure game Dante's Inferno now appears to have been nothing more than a publicity stunt.

A group of 13 protesters stood outside E3 yesterday, holding signs with messages like "Trade in your PlayStation for a PrayStation," "Hell is not a game," "My high score is in Heaven" and "EA = Electronic Anti-Christ." The Los Angeles Times reported that the group had come in from Ventura County to protest Dante's Inferno, an upcoming game loosely based on the literary classic of the same name.

"We think this game should never come out," said protester Matthew Francis, who also asked reporters to pass that message along to EA executives at E3 since his group wasn't allowed inside. The protesters also passed out brochures that warned, "A video game hero does not have the authority to save and damn... Only God can judge, and he will not judge the sinners who play this game kindly."

But it now looks like the whole thing was nothing more than a publicity stunt, presumably put on by EA itself. The brochure handed out by the group points to www.wearesavedgroup.org, a laughably retro website that appears at first blush to condemn the game but also includes links to high-res trailers and EA's own Dante's Inferno site. The site was registered on June 1 through Domains By Proxy, which lets people put up websites anonymously.

EA hasn't commented but at this point it seems clear that the whole thing is a promotional stunt. It's an interesting ploy, although I have to wonder if EA's enthusiastic representation of the Church as shallow-minded reactionaries is an entirely good idea. Unlike the game, that could actually give them something to be angry about.

Dante's Inferno is in development at Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores), the studio behind Dead Space, and is targeted for release in early 2010.

Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Dante's Inferno looks to be a strong contender for worst game of all time and I think EA have finally realised this. Only marketing can save it now.

Then again, it worked for Fable 2, so why not?

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Did you forget the scattered limbs all over some major city for Left 4 Dead

(I think it was for Left 4 Dead)

I think it's hilarious. Coolest thing EA's done since denouncing DRM imo!

GodsOneMistake:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Wasn't that Resi 5?

GodsOneMistake:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Resident Evil 5.

Also Dante's Inferno looks crap and beyond horrible...That trailer at E3 put the final nail in the coffin to confirm that the game looks crap.

Ok...show of hands, is anyone any more than indifferent to this game?

orannis62:

*raises hand*

... oh, wait, MORE than indifferent?

*puts hand down*

To be honest, I never heard of this game until I read this article. I can only assume I haven't missed anything.

Very stupid publicity stunt, would have been better if they would have sent people dressed as demons to terrorize people.
The game doesn't look that good anyway, I guess they had to do something.
But not this

Wow, talk about a total dick move. They just lost a lot of respect from me and I didn't have much for them to begin with.

First thought: Awh man, just a bunch of religious crazies. I can't get behind this.
Second thought: I hate everything. (occurs every three seconds)
Third thought: Man I wish they would stop raping the source material.
Fourth thought: Good going, idiots.

Electronic anti-christ eh? It has a nice ring to it

Malygris:
...Dante's Inferno, an upcoming game loosely based on the literary classic of the same name.

This appears to be an understatement.

And that was also a stupid publicity stunt. Wait, 13 people showed up? HAHA I see what they did there!

ZeroMachine:

orannis62:

*raises hand*

... oh, wait, MORE than indifferent?

*puts hand down*

To be honest, I never heard of this game until I read this article. I can only assume I haven't missed anything.

You're quite right, it's just a bastardization of a classic book. Not even worth a look.

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You can say that again.

Every time I think: "Hey, EA isn't so bad, they took on Brutal Legend after Activision were total dicks about it", then they proceed to do something fucking retarded like this.
For the record, as soon as I saw that this was a video game and it was basically somewhere between DMC and GoW I pretty much wrote it off as shit.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You can say that again.

Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

... son of a bitch, you were right, I can say it again! Do I win anything?

Wow. No comment. Except this one.

wtf EA.
wtf

As if believers don't get mocked enough for some fringe elements.

It's stunts like these that fool enough people (who'll never know it was a stunt) to once again add fuel to the fire that already condems my religious beliefs and brethren.

I can hear my uninformed friends telling me 'my type' is protesting games now. Ugh.

Thanks EA for stoking this fire on my behalf, just another thing I'll have to defend my beliefs on that I wasn't involved with.

ZeroMachine:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You can say that again.

Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

... son of a bitch, you were right, I can say it again! Do I win anything?

Gym Socks:

Use them well..

GodsOneMistake:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Resident Evil 5, as has been said, and it was in London. The idiots actually lost some of the fake limbs, some joker must have moved them for a laugh, and the organisers were worried that people who weren't aware of the stunt would find them and mistake them for real limbs because they were so realistic (they actually showed pictures of some of them).

Anyway, this is still pretty bad. EA have really shot themselves in the foot with this one, and we know the Church likes to rant about the little petty things, so they're not going to miss this opportunity for a bit of EA bashing. And really, at E3 of all places? They could have had the common sense too to realise that such a stupid stunt at such a well respected and successful event like E3, respected even by non-gamers, would be a pretty bad move...

Alone Disciple:
As if believers don't get mocked enough for some fringe elements.

It's stunts like these that fool enough people (who'll never know it was a stunt) to once again add fuel to the fire that already condems my religious beliefs and brethren.

I can hear my uninformed friends telling me 'my type' is protesting games now. Ugh.

Thanks EA for stoking this fire on my behalf, just another thing I'll have to defend my beliefs on that I wasn't involved with.

Well, when you get involved in organized religion what can you expect?
Although I am sorry that you get roped into a group of people who hold up signs like "All your Souls are belong to us."

Wow, that's sad.

They need to stage their own controversy just for some publicity.

Edit:

Malygris:
A group of 13 protesters stood outside E3 yesterday, holding signs with messages like "Trade in your PlayStation for a PrayStation," "Hell is not a game," "My high score is in Heaven" and "EA = Electronic Anti-Christ." The Los Angeles Times reported that the group had come in from Ventura County to protest Dante's Inferno, an upcoming game loosely based on the literary classic of the same name.

I did find this quote rather amusing though.
I think EA's finally become self-aware.

The best thing is we can't be 100% for certain if this is a publicity stunt since there absolutely are fundis out there that get hot and bothered over anything that might go against their fiction.

Upon seeing the tile, I thought the game was being protested because it butchers classic literature.

Of course, it just seems to be a stupid publicity stunt.

Internet Kraken:
Upon seeing the tile, I thought the game was being protested because it butchers classic literature.

Of course, it just seems to be a stupid publicity stunt.

I know. I was disappointed as well.

As far as publicity stunts go, my favorite one was releasing a bunch of trained black cats all over London with little FEAR 2 jackets on.

" E.(pause) A.(pause) (whisper)challenge everything, even if it is a dumb move"

I fixed your slogan for you EA.

It was obvious. No-one who was being serious could come up with slogans that bad or pick a game that bland.

Excuse me while I go throw up...

Don't wait.

13? That's not a protest! That's a group of associates with a common source of annoyance who live relatively near to the said venue; outside of which they held this pitiful excuse of a 'demonstration'.

Also, sounds like they put on an accurate show.

oliveira8:

GodsOneMistake:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Resident Evil 5.

Also Dante's Inferno looks crap and beyond horrible...That trailer at E3 put the final nail in the coffin to confirm that the game looks crap.

What he said. Fighting through the 7 layers of hell seems like an interesting concept, but does EA have to develope it? It has more of a God of War feel to it. In fact, didn't you fight through hell (or Hades) in the first God of War?

i never liked EA

This can only end well

Ingenious.

1) Organize a fake religious protest.

2) Be so transparent about it that everyone realizes it was a stupid stunt. Looks like EA just got called on there BS...BUT WAIT

3) Religious group gets pissed at them for painting them as shallow minded reactionaries. Unwittingly, that start ACTUALLY makeing legitimate complaints and protest EA.

4) Meta-Controversy that proceeds appears to be totally legitimate and unexpected. Irony makes for great headlines. EA looks like an innocent but edgy publishers being punished by the, "PC Police". People start defending there 1st Amendment rights, and a lawsuit bounces around, but goes nowhere. Before you know it, everyone has heard of, and is at least kind of interested in the game.

5) Profit.

Ingenious EA. I hate you for it, but still, ingenious.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here