Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

When I first read through this, I thought it meant the protest was real but that the game turned out to be a publicity stunt (designed to raise the ire of such groups, or whatever). I guess that shows which I consider to be more realistic.

EA has not been making points with people lately. Pissing off a whole new demographic does not seem like a wise thing to do. However, I refuse to protest this stupidity. I'm not giving EA free publicity.

Oh I was hoping it was a group of English majors who hate the fact that the game just butchers the source material. Taking an amazing, and classic literary piece and turning it into a sub-par God of War clone. Whoever came up with the idea for this game must have been reading the cliff notes while watching the youtube videos of the fights to Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven set to 'Bodies' by 'Drowning Pool'...and he was 12 years old.

But no, it's a stupid stunt from EA using already negative stereotypes. Way to go EA. Single out and alienate a group of players just because you want to bring attention to a shitty game that doesn't deserve it.

GodsOneMistake:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Did you forget the scattered limbs all over some major city for Left 4 Dead

(I think it was for Left 4 Dead)

It was for RE5.

hmm... don't they know that doing might actually offend some religious groups

btw, there are so many games about hell already, why would religious groups boycott this one?

smooth move ea

....why?

I'm happy for any anti-religious jokes.

Though, it doesn't seem like a very good publicity stunt.

Still, meh. Why the fuck would anyone remake a book that most people today have never read into a shitty game?

Actually, I'll be happy if it fails. Just because I fucking hate and always hated people who liked and thought they knew everything about Lord of The Rings after watching the movies... Well, at least I don't care as much about this work of fiction.

I'm glad i didn't go to E3 because if i saw a protest to any game outside i might have started a yelling match with the people i don't know why but people like that piss me off. Later when i discovered the scam i would be severily pissed at EA and myself for being foolish.

From how EA was describing the game on G4 before E3 it sounded like they didn't want to make a good game just an average game. Its sad when a gaming company openly admits to its audience that they only want to be just average.

Electronic Arts, Professional Trolls.........

never heard about this game till now, but still, they could of come up with something better than a GHF knockoff group.

If I was at E3 I would have been protesting it simply due to how it's butchering the source material.

Well that's interesting!
I looked up a trailer on YouTube before posting this and I'm not so sure that game will be good. I have a feeling this was a stunt. I bet if they were real they could get more than 13 people to protest; unless they were trying to use the number for emphasis.

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Agreed. I'm both amused and mildly offended at this.

Oh EA you and your shenanigans

ZeroMachine:

Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

I don't know, it seems to have had at least some effect. I hadn't even heard of this game until I started reading this thread. At the very least, the stunt taught me the game's name and now we're talking about it.

Well, they did get one thing right- EA is the Antichrist.

Other than that, though, I'm personally more annoyed that Dante's Infero is very, VERY loosely based on an epic tale that doesn't deserved to be tarnished, and the fact that it's not going to be faithful to the original story as opposed to it featuring demons, Hell, and demons in Hell.

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You obviously forget the live goat killing for God of War 2.

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Quote. For.

Truth.

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Wait WHAT

Onmi:

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Wait WHAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_II#Animal_cruelty_controversy

I was just thinking, how does a church group know about this game? How did they know about E3? Protesters are usually completely ignorant people who hear something and without listening to details go off to make big signs and chants.

EA, you're so silly. You and your crazy schemes. What were you thinking? That's just silly. So silly.

the trailer looked intensely freaky just because of its base idea

tho actually reading Dante's Inferno was really just depressing more than anything

So the trailer looks like God of war slipped one by the goalie with Doom 3. Plus I can tell it has bad voice acting and an even worse musical score.

Sad, the potential that could have been, but isn't that what I say every time?

NoMoreSanity:

Onmi:

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Wait WHAT

To be fair, I've been fed goat before and PETA didn't exactly kick down my door. Its not like its an endangered species

WEAK

Malygris:
EA's enthusiastic representation of the Church as shallow-minded reactionaries

Since when aren't they? The same people that would look down on this are the same that would complain about the game in the first place. Open minded religions don't care one bit about it's premise, as it's all fantasy.

Jennacide:

Malygris:

Since when aren't they? The same people that would look down on this are the same that would complain about the game in the first place. Open minded religions don't care one bit about it's premise, as it's all fantasy.

And some religious folks, like myself, who ARE open minded might still be offended by this portrayal. The majority of the religious people I know are the type who wouldn't care about the game. Does that mean that we should also be portrayed as backwards-thinking jerks?

I'm not easily offended, but this ticks me off. The only people who'd object to the game are the EXTREMELY VOCAL MINORITY of the Church. So why do us forward-thinkers get lumped in with them so much?

scotth266:

Jennacide:

Malygris:

And some religious folks, like myself, who ARE open minded might still be offended by this portrayal. The majority of the religious people I know are the type who wouldn't care about the game. Does that mean that we should also be portrayed as backwards-thinking jerks?

I'm not easily offended, but this ticks me off. The only people who'd object to the game are the EXTREMELY VOCAL MINORITY of the Church. So why do us forward-thinkers get lumped in with them so much?

Because atheists and agnostics seem to be more ignorant overall?

If you're nothing like them, why would you be offended? You should be laughing at how insane they are like the rest of us, not getting all worked up because (what you think is) a minority are mindless, unquestioning drones.

Jennacide:
If you're nothing like them, why would you be offended? You should be laughing at how insane they are like the rest of us, not getting all worked up because (what you think is) a minority are mindless, unquestioning drones.

What I'm being offended by is that this seems to tie being religious to being one of these "mindless drones." Was that their intent? Probably not. But many will see it that way, and I can't blame them.

i have not been more excited for any game since Starcraft: Ghost or Privateer 3!!!

Jennacide:

Malygris:

Just shut up and get off your 'religion is for dumb jerks' soapbox.

It doesn't help that you don't know what you are talking about either. The biggest shallow-minded reactionary here is you.

EDIT:

Before the inevitable flame of being a 'religious troll', I'll point out that I'm not religious and have not been for about 8 years now.

They're either not Christians (some Christian-like cult, at best), or maybe just American Christians are stupider than European Christians...

I mean, they can't even ban Scientology in the country. They really expect people to notice them?

Also, there is a special hell for people trying to force thoughts and beliefs on others.

Indigo_Dingo:

NoMoreSanity:

Onmi:

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Wait WHAT

To be fair, I've been fed goat before and PETA didn't exactly kick down my door. Its not like its an endangered species

Oh really, how was it?

And if you won't count that, than the Godfather 2 Brass Knuckles might show off the stupidity badge of EA.

Irridium:

What he said. Fighting through the 7 layers of hell seems like an interesting concept, but does EA have to develope it? It has more of a God of War feel to it. In fact, didn't you fight through hell (or Hades) in the first God of War?

You actually fight through Hades in all three of them (1, 2 and Chains of Olympus). And Hell has 9 layers (a.k.a. circles), you're thinking of the 7 terraces of Purgatory.

On topic: Retarded publicity stunt, but it seems like I am the only one who is even somewhat excited about this game...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here