Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

Pages PREV 1 2 3

As far as publicity stunts go, there's nothing better than a good old fashioned protest to get people's attention, which seems to have worked quite will in this case.

Internet Kraken:
Upon seeing the tile, I thought the game was being protested because it butchers classic literature.

Of course, it just seems to be a stupid publicity stunt.

That's what I thought at first, too! I was getting all excited, then read the article and felt sad that no, it was religious fundies, then awestruck by EA's sheer fail.

This game looks awesome.

Well done EA.

My love for EA continues to decline. The last game released under the EA logo that I enjoyed was Starflight on the Sega Genesis. Anyone remember this one? Since then they've been in a steady downward spiral.

Not to mention this seems very offensive to Christians.

I think the game looks awesome. Before anyone replies, know that I only got a PlayStation 3 last Christmas and a PlayStation 2 about a year and half prior to that. so I'm way behind in gaming. Also know that I actually enjoyed "Beowulf" and "Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness"

orannis62:

ZeroMachine:

orannis62:
Ok...show of hands, is anyone any more than indifferent to this game?

*raises hand*

... oh, wait, MORE than indifferent?

*puts hand down*

To be honest, I never heard of this game until I read this article. I can only assume I haven't missed anything.

You're quite right, it's just a bastardization of a classic book. Not even worth a look.

That's like turning Watchmen into an arcade brawler. Oh wait...

...Where's Virgil?

This is an insult of the highest degree to those who have read one of the greatest works of classic literature of all time! I don't care if the game is fun or not, EA should try to stay remotely close to the source material when basing a game on something. Did anyone there even read the book?

It's an offense to Christians. It's an offense to classic literature fans. And above all, it's an insult to gamers as a whole. No, EA, you go to hell!

Malygris:
But it now looks like the whole thing was nothing more than a publicity stunt, presumably put on by EA itself. The brochure handed out by the group points to www.wearesavedgroup.org, a laughably retro website that appears at first blush to condemn the game but also includes links to high-res trailers and EA's own Dante's Inferno site. The site was registered on June 1 through Domains By Proxy, which lets people put up websites anonymously.

Maybe it's EA's way of saying "in b4 religious nutjobs." Discrediting the wackos before they begin.

NoMoreSanity:

Indigo_Dingo:

NoMoreSanity:

Onmi:

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You obviously forget the live goat killing for God of War 2.

Wait WHAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_II#Animal_cruelty_controversy

To be fair, I've been fed goat before and PETA didn't exactly kick down my door. Its not like its an endangered species

Oh really, how was it?

Like lamb, only with the distinct taste of being feral.

A Praystation sounds like a Chinese PS3.
But that's not a dick move. That's like making a dick shaped car, and dropping it out of a plane in to a 9.5 earthquake zone.

GammaChris:
...Where's Virgil?

This is an insult of the highest degree to those who have read one of the greatest works of classic literature of all time! I don't care if the game is fun or not, EA should try to stay remotely close to the source material when basing a game on something. Did anyone there even read the book?

It's an offense to Christians. It's an offense to classic literature fans. And above all, it's an insult to gamers as a whole. No, EA, you go to hell!

I doubt seriously that anyone even read the book, or even just glanced at wiki. Or a history book, because they have 'Dante' as a returning crusader. All I have to say to that is, "Wow, Dante's the most badass seven-year-old ever," because that's how old Dante was during the last Crusade.

There are ways they could have done this and stayed truer to the poem (and still kept it a hack-n-slash, even), but it was easier to butcher the characters, it seems.

Indigo_Dingo:

NoMoreSanity:

Indigo_Dingo:

NoMoreSanity:

Onmi:

NoMoreSanity:

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

You obviously forget the live goat killing for God of War 2.

Wait WHAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_II#Animal_cruelty_controversy

To be fair, I've been fed goat before and PETA didn't exactly kick down my door. Its not like its an endangered species

Oh really, how was it?

Like lamb, only with the distinct taste of being feral.

I've never tried lamb, so I can only geuss.

hahaha... wow. That site was REALLY badly put together... repeating gifs, annoying midi, the whole nine yards...

And as for worst publicity stunt ever, I think Earthbound's takes the cake...
Anybody else remember the scratch and sniff?

<-EA------3DRealms----------------------[Respectometer]+++BioWare+++relic+Blizzard++Activision+Valve++++++>

While making false protests is a gray area, making false protests while at the same time mocking religion is just... just...

GAY!

zebrin:
hahaha... wow. That site was REALLY badly put together... repeating gifs, annoying midi, the whole nine yards...

And as for worst publicity stunt ever, I think Earthbound's takes the cake...
Anybody else remember the scratch and sniff?

Yeah, it looks like something a fourth grader could put together. With all the money EA has, you'd think they could do better than that.
Could you also tell me what that Earthbound thing is? I've never heard of it, and it sounds funny.

As for the game, it looks quite mediocre.

Random argument man:
Electronic anti-christ eh? It has a nice ring to it

Well, so does 'Electro-Gonorrhea: the noisy killer'.

PsykoDragon:
<-EA------3DRealms----------------------[Respectometer]+++BioWare+++relic+Blizzard++Activision+Valve++++++>

While making false protests is a gray area, making false protests while at the same time mocking religion is just... just...

And letting a religion mock other religions, people and beliefs is just so...acceptable?

Ishnuvalok:

PsykoDragon:

And letting a religion mock other religions, people and beliefs is just so...acceptable?

Still doesn't make it right. Just because that person did it, doesn't make it ok for you to do it, does it? Hell, I'm atheist, what do I care. But I do, I do!

That's just sad. They have to make their own controversy because no one gives a fuck about their game.

cobrausn:
It doesn't help that you don't know what you are talking about either. The biggest shallow-minded reactionary here is you.

In this thread: people that don't know what the word 'reactionary' means.

-adjective
1. of, pertaining to, marked by, or favoring reaction, esp. extreme conservatism or rightism in politics; opposing political or social change.

Being a card carrying Libertarian, this is as far from what I am as humanly possible.

I loved it before I knew it was contrived and respected EA more after.

Gave me a good laugh!

Still not buying the game.

I lol'd at EA - electronic anti-christ.

Well shit... I thought this was mildly interesting. I just want to go through all those terrors of Hell.

I'm not even considering buying this game. They basicaly realized that Devil May Cry (A series that was actually inspired by the Devine Comedy) and God of War sold really well. So, why not try to capitlize on that idea?!

Gah, I haven't even read much of the actual literature, and I think it's stupid to do this. It's one thing to like, cut a few scenes from LOTR like the ending in Hobbiton to make up for the length of the film, but another thing entirely to have Frodo having QTE with the Witch King, if you get my analogy.

What if, heaven forbid, Uwe Boll makes a movie out of this?! Then we really would feel like we were in hell.

Oh my God I want a shirt that says "My High Score is in Heaven". Am I the only one who thinks this is awesome?

I would have believed it if they were literature fundamentalists.

Random argument man:
Electronic anti-christ eh? It has a nice ring to it

Electronic Anti-Christ = The film Short Cicuit

So much fail it's unbelievable.

ZeroMachine:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.

Really? I think it is the best. EA just made fun of protesters and fundies at once. Come on, that makes them one of the best publishers ever!

MaxTheReaper:
First thought: Awh man, just a bunch of religious crazies. I can't get behind this.
Second thought: I hate everything. (occurs every three seconds)
Third thought: Man I wish they would stop raping the source material.
Fourth thought: Good going, idiots.

This, along with the strong atheist within me that laughs at the title "EA - Electronic Anti-Christ". This publicity stunt just.. butchers the poem, as well as feeds the religious fanatics. Fail.

Just saw their mass: We Pray thing. EA is really going at the shallow-minded (reactionary) church view with this one. Go them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here