Miyamoto Is Developers' Hero

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Miyamoto Is Developers' Hero

According to a Develop survey, 30 percent of game developers claim Nintendo guru Shigeru Miyamoto as their "ultimate development hero."

And no, "Ultimate Development Hero" is not Activision's newest property. Just throwing that out there.

A survey of over 9,000 (no, seriously) game developers from around the world by industry publication Develop asked them to name the industry figure that they considered to be their hero. A whopping 30% - that's about 3,000, for those doing the math at home - answered Shigeru Miyamoto, best known as the father of some of Nintendo's most timeless series, such as Mario and the Legend of Zelda.

Really, is anybody surprised? Develop sure isn't. "It's no surprise that Miyamoto-san is the development hero of developers - over the last thirty years he has created games that have not only driven the evolution of the games industry but also changed people's lives," said Andy Lane, managing director of the Brighton, UK-based Develop conference. "He has mastered the art of developing titles that are innovative but never at the cost of gameplay: games that are ground breaking, yet still mass market."

Following Miyamoto at #2 was John Carmack, the man who pioneered the FPS genre all but single-handedly. Maxis founder Will Wright, creator of SimWhatever, The Sims, and Spore took 3rd, while Briton Dave Jones - founder of Realtime Worlds, and creator of Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto placed fourth. Rounding out the top five was Sid Meier, creator of, well, the Sid Meier's Civilization series. Meier was the second person ever to be inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame - right after Shigeru Miyamoto.

The rest of the top ten is hardly surprising, either: Peter Molyneux, the man who is the picture-perfect definition of "dream big," Elite and Tycoon series creator David Braben, PaRappa the Rapper father Masaya Matsuura, Blizzard pioneer Mike Morhaime, and indie darling Jonathan Blow.

Which makes the full list:

1. Shigeru Miyamoto
2. John Carmack
3. Will Wright
4. Dave Jones
5. Sid Meier
6. Peter Molyneux
7. David Braben
8. Masaya Matsuura
9. Michael Morhaime
10. Jonathan Blow

Agree? Disagree?

(Via VG247)

Is it wrong to have a man crush on him?

No surprises here then. He's proably the best known developer

I'm glad Sid Meier's there, although I reckon he should be top of the list. He's a veritable genius.

Jonathan Blow is number 10? Wha...

curlycrouton:
I'm glad Sid Meier's there, although I reckon he should be top of the list. He's a veritable genius.

In concurrence.

Also what has the Zelda series done that's innovative, they are great games but nothing that was revolutionary?

curlycrouton:

I concur

Well..half of that list is just...plain wrong.

Peter Molyneux? Jonathan Blow? David Braben? Masaya Matsuura?

wheres Hideo Kojima? the man who invented the only game that plays itself should be up there

>9000 x 30% = >2700

But yes, it is easier to say "over 3000."

._. sorry, that was just bugging me. Still, holy cow, Miyamoto! *_*

CantFaketheFunk:
A whopping 30% - that's more than 3,000, for those doing the math at home

30% of 9000 is almost 3000, not over.

Also,

CantFaketheFunk:

""t's no surprise that Miyamoto-san is the development hero of developers - over the last thirty years he has created games that have not only driven the evolution of the games industry but also changed people's lives,"

Nit-pickery makes me feel important. Don't bug me about it. :P

Florion:
>9000 x 30% = >2700

But yes, it is easier to say "over 3000."

._. sorry, that was just bugging me. Still, holy cow, Miyamoto! *_*

Aw, I got ninja'd.

from the list of responses, Shigeru and Johnathan Blow are the only 2 i know, and Blow was only because Yahtzee mentioned him at some point. but, yeah, Shigeru rules!

I can't believe that one guy actually called him "Miyamoto-san". What a weeabo Japanophile dickweed.

Aspiring game designers probably dream of being able to sit down with Shiggy and discuss ideas.

If i recall Zelda 1 layed the ground work for epic-type RPGs, etc.

Anyway, no surprise here. Miyamoto is my personal hero too and such.

All names are excellent to be on the list, though I would have swapped a couple of names around.

Instead of Blow and Dave Jones, I would have had Kojima and Shaffer.

not a zaar:
I can't believe that one guy actually called him "Miyamoto-san". What a weeabo Japanophile dickweed.

It's called being respectful to someone. Might try looking into it.

pantsoffdanceoff:

curlycrouton:

In concurrence.

Also what has the Zelda series done that's innovative, they are great games but nothing that was revolutionary?

The Legend of Zelda was the first game to have a save feature.

Miyamoto is great because he was able to take personal experience and create imaginative games out of them. Zelda came from his childhood adventures in the woods behind his home, Pikmin came from his love of gardening and Wii Music came from his new interest in music.

D_987:

That's a piss take. A developer with one successful game ahead of people like Kojima, Yu Suzuki, Yasumi Matsuno, Garriot, Michel Ancel, Shafer...*litany of names slowly fades out*

Well deserved top spot for Miyamoto imo, although perhaps the other developers are only jealous of his ability to constantly be involved in pioneering technology in money-printing devices. I almost wish Cliffy B was in there, just to see the outrage it would provoke.

Does that guy do anything at all other then heading press conferences and receiving a lot of cash? Carmack should have been first for his actual achievements. There aren't many directors who actually outperform their employees when it comes to coding things.

Asehujiko:
Does that guy do anything at all other then heading press conferences and receiving a lot of cash? Carmack should have been first for his actual achievements. There aren't many directors who actually outperform their employees when it comes to coding things.

Yes he does...Shigeru made what is the video game industry today.

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

By doing what exactly? All i can find about him the the fact that he came up with the concept of nintendogs and stamping on the homebrew community.

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

By doing what exactly? All i can find about him the the fact that he came up with the concept of nintendogs and stamping on the homebrew community.

The reason you are here today talking about video games its cause there was this japanese guy, more than 20 years ago created great games that made gaming a reliable industry. Shigeru Miyamoto is the Father of Modern Gaming.And he keeps re-inventing himself after all those years.

The same thing can't be said for Carmack that hasn't done anything "good" since Quake 2.

pigeon_of_doom:

D_987:

That's a piss take. A developer with one successful game ahead of people like Kojima, Yu Suzuki, Yasumi Matsuno, Garriot, Michel Ancel, Shafer...*litany of names slowly fades out*

I can actually see why he's on the list. He's basically the bedroom coder of this generation. Proof of what one guy without any company backing can do in an industry where games are usually made with dozens of people.

Miyamoto has a lot of the same things going for him. Proof of the power one man can have over an entire industry.

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

The reason you are here today talking about video games its cause there was this japanese guy, more than 20 years ago created great games that made gaming a reliable industry. Shigeru Miyamoto is the Father of Modern Gaming.And he keeps re-inventing himself after all those years.

The same thing can't be said for Carmack that hasn't done anything "good" since Quake 2.

Quit the fanboyish overcapitalization. So far i haven't seen anything that says that Miyamoto does anything about his games at all other then stockbroking his way to richness without touching games at all except when demonstrating them at e3. Your ignorance also shows by forgetting things like z-fail stencil shadows and megatexture, things Carmack coded on his own, and not have it done by a huge team of underlings that then putting an "approved" stamp on it and saying "put it in the next mario/zelda/metroid".

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

Quit the fanboyish overcapitalization. So far i haven't seen anything that says that Miyamoto does anything about his games at all other then stockbroking his way to richness without touching games at all except when demonstrating them at e3. Your ignorance also shows by forgetting things like z-fail stencil shadows and megatexture, things Carmack coded on his own, and not have it done by a huge team of underlings that then putting an "approved" stamp on it and saying "put it in the next mario/zelda/metroid".

Is Carmack considered the Father of Modern gaming? No.

End of Discussion. Shigeru Miyamoto is the greatest developer in gaming and even Carmack will admit it.

Woe Is You:

I can actually see why he's on the list. He's basically the bedroom coder of this generation. Proof of what one guy without any company backing can do in an industry where usually made with dozens of people.

When you put it like that, I can see the appeal. Being a rich reclusive auteur, developing games at your own pace is surely what every game dev aspires to be.

oliveira8:

End of Discussion. Shigeru Miyamoto is the greatest developer in gaming and even Carmack will admit it.

Was, maybe, although he's in more of an executive role now apparently. Hasn't stopped his little experiments becoming bestsellers. He's certainly the most profitable.

Everyone loves miyamoto i bet there's one developer out there that can say one bad thing about him and he has made some great bounds for the video game industry so it's natural for developers to feel that way.

pantsoffdanceoff:

curlycrouton:

In concurrence.

I believe they were the first cartridges to have a "save" feature through use of a battery.

not a zaar:

I'm sorry, but I had to lol at this post. You win an internet for making me shoot milk out of my nose. XD

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Miyamoto is the best known developer among these devs. I remember the old days of Super Nintendoland, when I was in the Dark World, saving the seven maidens from the clutches of Agahnim and Ganon. Whenever I played that game, I always felt like I should kiss Mister Miyamoto's shoes for such a wonderful game.

And then later Ocarina of Time came out. And I was in love all over again. Just the thought of Miyamoto helping to make this game series and MORE really does make him the pinnacle of awesome.

I even loved the Wind Waker! Even in the later years of the Gamecube, Miyamoto had it going on. This is why it pains me to see Nintendo crapping over his genius with unoriginal shovelware and cheap knockoff games that don't even deserve the pleasure of being in the same sentence as the classic games. If Miyamoto can redeem his game series with the new Zelda and Metroid, then I just might have some restored faith.

Not Mario, though. He's been dead to me.

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

You are aware that Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong (not Metroid, that was someone else) were his personal brain-children, right? As in, he personally created the originals and has been heavily involved in their successors.

People have to also recognize that one reason Miyamoto is popular isn't because of what he did, but what he's still doing. Miyamoto is the Japanese Midas. Pikmin, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, and other games I have never played managed to be incredibly popular. They might be games many of us don't like, but they help demonstrate the man's originality.

Pendragon9:
Not Mario, though. He's been dead to me.

But Miyamoto doesn't make Metroid games. He didn't create the series. All he did was push Metroid Prime on the right track.

He's also had a less active development in more recent hardcore games, but he was actively involved in SMG, if I'm not mistaken, and that was awesome.

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

Asehujiko:

He is the reason why we have video games consoles now . Without him, we wouldn't be gamers. We'd be uhh....Jehovah Witnesses.

Darkrai:

He is the reason why we have video games. Nintendo,SEGA,SONY,PC,Xbox. Without him, we wouldn't be gamers. We'd be uhh....Jehovah Witnesses.

Uhhh... not quite. There were video games around before Nintendo was around, games after the great video game crash too if you dig around. Part of the reason why something like the VIC-20 or the C64 thrived was because, though they were sold as general use computers, everyone who got one got it for games.

Woe Is You:

Darkrai:

He is the reason why we have video games. Nintendo,SEGA,SONY,PC,Xbox. Without him, we wouldn't be gamers. We'd be uhh....Jehovah Witnesses.

Uhhh... not quite. There were video games around before Nintendo was around, games after the great video game crash too if you dig around. Part of the reason why something like the VIC-20 or the C64 thrived was because, though it was sold as a general use computers, everyone got one for games.

Should have said "now" but you are right.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here