Miyamoto Is Developers' Hero

Pages PREV 1 2

Darkrai:

Should have said "now" but you are right.

Well, I'd still say that the NES and the console gamespace in general back in the late 80s to the late 90s was a completely different thing from computer games (PC, Amiga, C64, Amstrad...). That they've converged like this is a really recent phenomenon.

Miyamoto is a man with a huge influence but we'd still have games even if he and Gunpei Yokoi weren't around back then.

MIYAMOTO! WE LOOOOOOVE YOOOOOU!

In a totally platonic fashion, of course.

I would say he is my favourite developer, even if he doesn't develop that much anymore. He came up with my favourite franchises, and continues to produce them these days. Definitely should be on the top of the list imo.

I get so fed up when the game industry leaves out Gunpei Yokoi just because he's deceased.
Nintendo is flourishing today because of the late Yokoi's philosophy "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology". The fact Nintendo portables and Wii is so successful was no accident.

I love Mr.Miyamoto just as much. But Gunpei Yokoi was Mr. Miyamoto's mentor.

In Memory of Toy & Game Inventor Gunpei Yokoi-san 1941 - 1997:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyTBA46eyY

Asehujiko:
Does that guy do anything at all other then heading press conferences and receiving a lot of cash? Carmack should have been first for his actual achievements. There aren't many directors who actually outperform their employees when it comes to coding things.

Carmarck is in the Top 30s of developers.

Asehujiko:
Does that guy do anything at all other then heading press conferences and receiving a lot of cash? Carmack should have been first for his actual achievements. There aren't many directors who actually outperform their employees when it comes to coding things.

You can tell from a PC gamer when they diss Shigeru Miyamoto. Seriously, we have an industry today because of Yokoi * Miyamoto.

Grooveraider:
I get so fed up when the game industry leaves out Gunpei Yokoi just because he's deceased.
Nintendo is flourishing today because of the late Yokoi's philosophy "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology". The fact Nintendo portables and Wii is so successful was no accident.

Well, you have a point, but this was a list of influential game developers

Gunpei Yokoi designed hardware. Not games. - So, it's understandable that you wouldn't see him on a list like this one.

I can pretty much understand the top 5 in this list, with the exception of no. 4, because I don't know who that is. (and thus can't really say if it makes any sense.)

Past the 5th place, it becomes a little more confusing.

No Hideo Kojima or Tim Schafer in the top 10? I also have to admit I don't even know half of these developpers...

CrystalShadow:
[quote="Grooveraider" post="7.119215.2310021"]
Gunpei Yokoi designed hardware. Not games. - So, it's understandable that you wouldn't see him on a list like this one.

He certainly also made games. For example (Super) Metroid, Kid Icarus and the Game & Watch series.

I'd like that man to develop my game. If ya know what I mean.

not a zaar:
I can't believe that one guy actually called him "Miyamoto-san". What a weeabo Japanophile dickweed.

Naaah. If he'd called him "-sensei," then he'd be a weeabo Japanophile dickweed. This is just "weeabo" level.

Asehujiko:

By doing what exactly? All i can find about him the the fact that he came up with the concept of nintendogs and stamping on the homebrew community.

Your search skillz, they are not l33t.

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

The reason you are here today talking about video games its cause there was this japanese guy, more than 20 years ago created great games that made gaming a reliable industry. Shigeru Miyamoto is the Father of Modern Gaming.And he keeps re-inventing himself after all those years.

The same thing can't be said for Carmack that hasn't done anything "good" since Quake 2.

Quit the fanboyish overcapitalization. So far i haven't seen anything that says that Miyamoto does anything about his games at all other then stockbroking his way to richness without touching games at all except when demonstrating them at e3. Your ignorance also shows by forgetting things like z-fail stencil shadows and megatexture, things Carmack coded on his own, and not have it done by a huge team of underlings that then putting an "approved" stamp on it and saying "put it in the next mario/zelda/metroid".

The more you know!

yeah_so_no:

not a zaar:
I can't believe that one guy actually called him "Miyamoto-san". What a weeabo Japanophile dickweed.

Naaah. If he'd called him "-sensei," then he'd be a weeabo Japanophile dickweed. This is just "weeabo" level.

Asehujiko:

By doing what exactly? All i can find about him the the fact that he came up with the concept of nintendogs and stamping on the homebrew community.

Your search skillz, they are not l33t.

Asehujiko:

oliveira8:

The reason you are here today talking about video games its cause there was this japanese guy, more than 20 years ago created great games that made gaming a reliable industry. Shigeru Miyamoto is the Father of Modern Gaming.And he keeps re-inventing himself after all those years.

The same thing can't be said for Carmack that hasn't done anything "good" since Quake 2.

Quit the fanboyish overcapitalization. So far i haven't seen anything that says that Miyamoto does anything about his games at all other then stockbroking his way to richness without touching games at all except when demonstrating them at e3. Your ignorance also shows by forgetting things like z-fail stencil shadows and megatexture, things Carmack coded on his own, and not have it done by a huge team of underlings that then putting an "approved" stamp on it and saying "put it in the next mario/zelda/metroid".

The more you know!

I still haven't found anything in that list where he is credited with "personally created the engine from the ground up".

Asehujiko:

yeah_so_no:
snip!

I still haven't found anything in that list where he is credited with "personally created the engine from the ground up".

...Obviously, your mind is very, very made up, and getting you to see beyond what you have decided is so would require persuasion via crowbar to the scull, so. It would seem an impasse has been reached.

I would say that Miyamoto is a developer hero because of his contribution to game design. Carmack is a not a game designer but is a hero to game programmers for doing such a great job of 3d engine programming in the 90's and sharing his knowledge openly with the development community. Will Wright looks good in a leather jacket, talks to Brian Eno and loves everything that isn't a game.

CrystalShadow:

Grooveraider:

I can pretty much understand the top 5 in this list, with the exception of no. 4, because I don't know who that is. (and thus can't really say if it makes any sense.)

Where do you get your information ???
Gunpei Yokoi was a hardware engineer and a game producer. You see THIS is the problem.
People like yourself aren't familar of Mr. Yokoi. There's always been misconceptions
of his role with Nintendo Co. Ltd. Gunpei Yokoi has a rich history as much as Shigeru
Miyamoto - READ ABOUT IT: http://yokoicredits.bananachan.net/
Without Yokoi and Miyamoto - there wouldn't be an industry TODAY.

Grooveraider:

CrystalShadow:

Grooveraider:

Where do you get your information ???
Gunpei Yokoi was a hardware engineer and a game producer. You see THIS is the problem.
People like yourself aren't familar of Mr. Yokoi. There's always been misconceptions
of his role with Nintendo Co. Ltd. Gunpei Yokoi has a rich history as much as Shigeru
Miyamoto - READ ABOUT IT: http://yokoicredits.bananachan.net/
Without Yokoi and Miyamoto - there wouldn't be an industry TODAY.

Interesting site.

Fact remains though, can you name a legendary franchise that has any obvious involvement from Gunpei Yokoi?

It's well known he designed the game boy;. It's relatively easy to work out he designed a lot of other Nintendo hardware over the years.

It's very difficult to point at any games that are obviously his work.
Why is that?

Nobody knew him for his games even when he was alive. - The fact that he made any at all is barely known, so how can you call him a game design legend?

Consider this:
Being a legendary game designer isn't simply a matter of being good at it.
People know Shigeru Myamoto by reputation.

But what about the thousands of other game designers that exist? Not every popular game ever made even has a well-known designer...
Things aren't that simple.

Yokoi simply isn't known for his games, and never was.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here