MGS Rising Levels 3rd-Party Playing Field, Says Microsoft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

MGS Rising Levels 3rd-Party Playing Field, Says Microsoft

Now that Metal Gear Solid is making its way to the Xbox 360 with Rising, the "third-party playing field" has been leveled and definitions of what an "exclusive" is have changed, says Microsoft's Shane Kim.

Microsoft didn't score an exclusive with the upcoming Metal Gear Solid Rising, but the simple fact that the MGS franchise, which didn't come to the 360 for MGS4, is now on a Microsoft system changes everything, thinks Microsoft VP Shane Kim.

"I still think exclusive content is really important," Kim told Gamasutra. "First of all, in games, we've said for a long time that a key part of our strategy with Xbox 360 was a level third-party playing field. Now we've effectively done that with Metal Gear Solid coming to the Xbox 360."

Kim remarked that since the 360 is the "second leading platform," third parties like Konami can't afford to ignore it, economically speaking. That's become a truism for some time now, with Metal Gear Solid 4 being a rare exception to the rule that most third party games are multiplatform. First-party exclusives now stand in for the Final Fantasy VIIs and Soul Calibur 1s of yore, but the very definition of what "exclusive" means should shift too, Kim said.

"But I also think we have to broaden our definition of exclusive content now," he said. That means exclusive DLC like Microsoft's Grand Theft Auto IV episodes, but also "things like Xbox Live, because I do think Xbox Live is a real competitive differentiator for us."

And since relying on third parties isn't "sustainable," as Kim says, offering things like Project Natal are the new ways of creating exclusive content. "It's up to each of us to differentiate on our own," Kim said. Is something like Natal really "differentiating," is the age of the exclusive game really over, and is "differentiator" a word? I'd say maybe to the first, yes to second and uhhhh to the third, but what do you guys think?

Exclusives are prety much dead, the main ones now come from Xbox Live and PSN. The only major exclusives for PS3 I can think of are God of War III and The Last Guardian, while Xbox has Alan Wake and Conviction. Not one of those will get a huge spike in sales for their respective systems, and it's up to games like Fat Princess, and Castle Crashers to force people which console is best.

Oh, and Natal? We'll have to wait and see before decisions are made.

Keane Ng:
but also "things like Xbox Live, because I do think Xbox Live is a real competitive differentiator for us."

Because the PS3 has no online store or gaming network, right?

It boils down to 1st party developement, and Sony has vastly more in-house devs than MS and Nintendo, hell, combined and I still think they have more.

And NoMoreSanity - You're missing a few

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
MAG
The Last Guardian
ModNation Racers
Demon Souls
Quantum Theory
Heavy Rain
Ratchet and Clank: Another Sequel in Time
Wipeout HD:Fury
White Knight Chronicles

Um, those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some are only awaiting US/Euro release. But yeah, there's a bunch of exclusives in the pipeline for Sony. And that doesn't even touch the handheld (which really isn't a fair cut of the gaming mainstream since MS doesn't have a serious handheld contender....yet. heh.)

Morne

I find it odd MS is talking of different types of exclusives, but doesn't mention the one major source for exclusives for the 360. Community games.I'd like to hear more about them. But I do consider features as exclusives when I buy something.

Oh Microsoft, you and your wild claims.

Mornelithe:
It boils down to 1st party developement, and Sony has vastly more in-house devs than MS and Nintendo, hell, combined and I still think they have more.

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
MAG
The Last Guardian
ModNation Racers
Demon Souls
Quantum Theory
Heavy Rain
White Knight Chronicles

Um, those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some are only awaiting US/Euro release. But yeah, there's a bunch of exclusives in the pipeline for Sony. And that doesn't even touch the handheld (which really isn't a fair cut of the gaming mainstream since MS doesn't have a serious handheld contender....yet. heh.)

Morne

Yes, but I care about none of them. Except MAYBE Heavy Rain.

Mornelithe:

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
MAG
The Last Guardian
ModNation Racers
Demon Souls
Quantum Theory
Heavy Rain
White Knight Chronicles

Theres a Wipeout game for the PS3? :O

oliveira8:

Mornelithe:

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
MAG
The Last Guardian
ModNation Racers
Demon Souls
Quantum Theory
Heavy Rain
White Knight Chronicles

Theres a Wipeout game for the PS3? :O

Well, Wipeout HD is already out, has been out for awhile. It's a PSN purchase, but worth every penny. 1080p (native) @ 60fps, no stuttering or anything like that. Amazing courses, layout, car selection etc... Online play too. Wipeout Fury is an expansion due out fairly soon though, was announced at E3.

@ NoMoreSanity - Yes, but you still missed quite a few. Just throwing the names out there, considering GT5 will do as good, and probably better than GoW3.

Morne

Mornelithe:

@ NoMoreSanity - Yes, but you still missed quite a few. Just throwing the names out there, considering GT5 will do as good, and probably better than GoW3.

Yes, but Forza 3 is an Xbox exclusive - I think NoMoreSanity was referring to games that are in some way different from their peers.

D_987:

Mornelithe:

Yes, but Forza 3 is an Xbox exclusive - I think NoMoreSanity was referring to games that are in some way different from their peers.

That may be, but that's not what he said, and GoW certainly doesn't represent the system driver for Sony. Hell, even GT5 prologue has sold more copies than GoW2 did. But, it wasn't really meant in derogatory fashion or anything. Was just sharing some knowledge about upcoming games.

Morne

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!
You may not care about them but I'll bet plenty of people will part with their cash for GT5 and Wipeout. Especially GT5, despite all the Forza bleating their still isn't a proper substitute for GT in terms of the driving, never under estimate the number of car nerds on planet earth...

I've always hated the idea of exclusives, it's not fair to the average consumer gamer. I understand that Kojima wanted to have MGS4 on PS3 because he felt that was the only system that could handle his vision, and that's fine. But it's still not fair to have a game that's only good enough for one console.

I'm not sure if it's the actual game that bothers me or the lack of DLC for a game based on one console or another. I may sound sore but I was pretty pissed when I heard that GTAIV would be getting new episodes that were 360 exclusive. It was almost as if Rockstar was giving a great big middle finger to all the PS3 owners. We are the consumers as well, just because we chose one system over another should not mean that we are locked out of a games content.

But that's not a fair argument, saying that it's okay for MGS4 to be PS3 exclusive and then bitching about DLC exclusive to XBox, but there are some things that developers and publishers do that prove that a lot of them are just out for the money, and they'll strike deals with the devil (or Microsoft of Sony) just to make a bit more. It isn't fair to us gamers.

Also, sorry for not including the wii, I don't hate it or anything I just know that Nintendo kinda does their own thing so I left it alone.

Personally i dont think the ps3 in the past has had anything to boast about in the reageions of exclusive games and content.. where as the xbox360 has... yeah ps3 got its mgs4 eventually but i think now looking at the recent e3 event, its nice to see something good coming to the ps3 exclusivly.. ie MAG.. i think the game its self is a fantastic concept and i cant wait to see how it turns out (im a xbox360 owner)

As for this new metal gear.. i really couldnt care less about lol i lost the plot after the second one. the first one was awsome tho.

I hope this illustrates to you all how these PR bozos within the companies and their favorite studios fan the flamewars.
Don't worry the sony and nintendo PR bozos do it too.
Unfortunately, I don't think they realize that fanboys don't have any standards when it comes to dignity and marketing savvy.

Mornelithe:

Microsoft's in-house developers include:

BigPark
Lionhead
Rare
Spawnpoint
Turn 10
Xbox Live Productions
Wingnut Interactive
Microsoft Game Studios

Sony's:

Sony Computer Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment
Clap Hanz
Polyphony
Naughty Dog
Sony Bend
Incognito
Zipper
Guerrilla
Evolution
Bigbig

Nintendo's:

Brownie Brown
Intelligent Systems
Monolith Soft
Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Nintendo Software Planning and Development
Project Sora
Retro Studios

If I'm wrong about anything blame Wikipedia.

Eldritch Warlord:

Mornelithe:

Microsoft's in-house developers include:

BigPark
Lionhead
Rare
Spawnpoint
Turn 10
Xbox Live Productions
Wingnut Interactive
Microsoft Game Studios

Sony's:

Sony Computer Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment
Clap Hanz
Polyphony
Naughty Dog
Sony Bend
Incognito
Zipper
Guerrilla
Evolution
Bigbig

Nintendo's:

Brownie Brown
Intelligent Systems
Monolith Soft
Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Nintendo Software Planning and Development
Project Sora
Retro Studios

If I'm wrong about anything blame Wikipedia.

Wikipedia doesn't have the most reliable or complete of all data.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Clap Hanz - Hot Shots Golf series
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo series, Motor Toon Grand Prix series, Omega Boost
SCE Japan Studio - Project Siren Team, etc, Ape Escape series, LocoRoco
Team ICO - ICO, Shadow of the Colossus

SCEI Subsidiary Divisions
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Incognito Entertainment - Twisted Metal series, Warhawk
Naughty Dog - Jak series, Uncharted Drake's Fortune
SCE Bend Studio (formerly Eidetic) - Syphon Filter series
SCE Foster City Studio - Jet Li: Rise to Honor
SCE San Diego Studio - The Mark of Kri, NBA '07, MLB The Show 08
SCE Santa Monica Studio - God of War, Kinetica
Sony Online Entertainment LLC. - EverQuest
Sucker Punch Productions - Sly Cooper series, Infamous
Zipper Interactive - SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.

Bigbig Studios - Pursuit Force
Evolution Studios - MotorStorm
Guerrilla Games - Killzone series
SCE London Studio (includes Team SOHO & Camden) - The Getaway series, SingStar series
SCE Studio Cambridge (formerly Millennium Interactive) - MediEvil series, Primal
SCE Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) - Wipeout series, F1 series
Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc.

SCE Korea - EyeToy: EduKids, GloRace: Phantastic Carnival

And Quantic Dream, Red Zone...

Morne

Indigo_Dingo:
Lets see, off the top of my head....

Agent and Kurayami, LA Noire and Last Rebellion, Yakuza 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (a man can dream).

Its all very well to claim this, but as far as I can see, this is little more than a Metal Gear Solid title in name only without Kojima directing - realistically, if it was called anything else, you've given no reason for anyone to care. So you could only really claim this as a minor victory.

I really hope that it does not come down to DLC content for exclusivity that is just a big middle finger to either console owner. It is basically saying yes we made the game on your system but these guys payed us X so the other guys don't get the DLC. This is where it becomes stupid.

I have all three systems so basically they are saying if you want this game don't buy it on the platform that you like the controller on etc etc. The worst part is if you don't know the exclusivity deal when the game first comes out you could end up having it for the wrong system without knowing it.

I would rather they made MGS4 come over to the 360 first to be honest.

Mornelithe:

D_987:

Mornelithe:

That may be, but that's not what he said, and GoW certainly doesn't represent the system driver for Sony. Hell, even GT5 prologue has sold more copies than GoW2 did. But, it wasn't really meant in derogatory fashion or anything. Was just sharing some knowledge about upcoming games.

Morne

Isn't GT5 prologue a cheaper game? Just sayin it is hard to say "well this sold better than that" when one is alot cheaper than the other.

Mornelithe:

Indigo_Dingo:

Agent and Kurayami, LA Noire and Last Rebellion, Yakuza 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (a man can dream).

Its all very well to claim this, but as far as I can see, this is little more than a Metal Gear Solid title in name only without Kojima directing - realistically, if it was called anything else, you've given no reason for anyone to care. So you could only really claim this as a minor victory.

Ah so he sent other people messages to do his bidding.

EDIT:

fix-the-spade:

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!
You may not care about them but I'll bet plenty of people will part with their cash for GT5 and Wipeout. Especially GT5, despite all the Forza bleating their still isn't a proper substitute for GT in terms of the driving, never under estimate the number of car nerds on planet earth...

Mornelithe:
Snip

Well, Wipeout HD is already out, has been out for awhile. It's a PSN purchase, but worth every penny. 1080p (native) @ 60fps, no stuttering or anything like that. Amazing courses, layout, car selection etc... Online play too. Wipeout Fury is an expansion due out fairly soon though, was announced at E3.

Morne

I don't give a fuck for racing games though.

midpipps:
I really hope that it does not come down to DLC content for exclusivity that is just a big middle finger to either console owner. It is basically saying yes we made the game on your system but these guys payed us X so the other guys don't get the DLC. This is where it becomes stupid.

I have all three systems so basically they are saying if you want this game don't buy it on the platform that you like the controller on etc etc. The worst part is if you don't know the exclusivity deal when the game first comes out you could end up having it for the wrong system without knowing it.

100% agree on the DLC. You know, if anything I agree with Kim, insofar that it should come down to in-house developement. There's just too much money in it for the 3rd's, and the fanbases that were in existence back in the days of the PS2, are just much more spread out amongst the platforms. Can't say as I blame any 3rd party, nor does it surprise me when they announce going multi. In the end though, those just end up being better performing on my PC anyway, and cheaper brand new, usually.

Morne

squid5580:

Mornelithe:

D_987:

Mornelithe:

Morne

Isn't GT5 prologue a cheaper game? Just sayin it is hard to say "well this sold better than that" when one is alot cheaper than the other.

Well, as far as PS3 games go, yes, it is cheaper $40, however, 2 things to mention on that. PS2 games had dropped in price at that point, to much much lower levels than PS3 games, even brand new titles. And the other is GoW2 launched 6 or 7 months before GT5P, so I mean, it does kind of prove some points, especially given the PS2's install base being in the 120 million range, at the time versus the PS3's uh...like 6-10 million?

Morne

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

Indigo_Dingo:

EDIT:

fix-the-spade:

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!

Mornelithe:
Snip

Morne

Then I suggest you end all of your posts with 'I don't give a fuck for X type of game, so please don't respond if I happen to make open ended statements, as I'm merely including only the games that I'm interested in'. Will make it easier for me not to respond with some titles that you may not have been aware of...(although, admittedly, I'm sure you're aware of GT5).

Morne

PS3 WILL always have exclusive, since Sony has its own in-house developers.

Exclusive content is just what it means--it's exclusive to a certain format. If the DLC is exclusive, then it is--but that doesn't mean the game itself is exclusive. MS is just playing with our heads here. But whatever--as long as they keep churning out good games, I don't care what console it ends up on. I'll either play it on mine, or at my friend's place.

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

Indigo_Dingo:

EDIT:

fix-the-spade:

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!

Mornelithe:
Snip

Morne

Then I suggest you end all of your posts with 'I don't give a fuck for X type of game, so please don't respond if I happen to make open ended statements, as I'm merely including only the games that I'm interested in'. Will make it easier for me not to respond with some titles that you may not have been aware of...(although, admittedly, I'm sure you're aware of GT5).

Morne

Well I actually knew about most of the titles, it's just I either

A)Don't know enough about them.
B)From what I do know I'm cautiously optimistic.
C)Don't give a fuck.

I'm interested in action titles, shooters, RPGs, RTSs, and the like. Let's hope this stays civil, no need for a flame war.

Mornelithe:

squid5580:

Mornelithe:

D_987:

Mornelithe:

Morne

Well, as far as PS3 games go, yes, it is cheaper $40, however, 2 things to mention on that. PS2 games had dropped in price at that point, to much much lower levels than PS3 games, even brand new titles. And the other is GoW2 launched 6 or 7 months before GT5P, so I mean, it does kind of prove some points, especially given the PS2's install base being in the 120 million range, at the time versus the PS3's uh...like 6-10 million?

Morne

Good point. I was a PS2 fanboy. Had one forever. The thing is when the 360 launched and the PS3 was announced I began to lose interest in the PS2 because there was new shinies being dangled in front of my eyes. If GOW 2 had come out a year before it launched I think it would have been far more successful. Although eve nas you stated yourself the PS2 already had 120 million consoles in people's homes the whole driving force had already been done

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

Indigo_Dingo:

EDIT:

fix-the-spade:

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!

Mornelithe:
Snip

Morne

Morne

C)Don't give a fuck.

I'm interested in action titles, shooters, RPGs, RTSs, and the like. Let's hope this stays civil, no need for a flame war.

It's really all good dude, I wasn't trying to start anything in the beginning, simply adding to your list of recently named exclusives and stuff I'd kinda had my eye on for some time.

Morne

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

Indigo_Dingo:

EDIT:

fix-the-spade:

NoMoreSanity:

Ah ha!

Mornelithe:
Snip

Morne

Morne

C)Don't give a fuck.

It's really all good dude, I wasn't trying to start anything in the beginning, simply adding to your list of recently named exclusives and stuff I'd kinda had my eye on for some time.

Morne

I was referring to myself, as I thought I was being a little over-defensive. But the PS3 games I actually want to play I can borrow at my friends house, and vice versa. Oh and Mass Effect 2.

But back on-topic, this new MGS game does show that developers don't care about loyalty exclusives, they care about money, and so that is why exclusives will eventually die out as they are bought out to appear on other consoles.

If they buy exclusive DLC, then just know I called it.

Oh, and they're greedy pigs. Might as well say that. It's par for the course.

Though I'm surprised anyone still cares about Metal gear anymore.

NoMoreSanity:

I was referring to myself, as I thought I was being a little over-defensive. But the PS3 games I actually want to play I can borrow at my friends house, and vice versa. Oh and Mass Effect 2.

But back on-topic, this new MGS game does show that developers don't care about loyalty exclusives, they care about money, and so that is why exclusives will eventually die out as they are bought out to appear on other consoles.

Well, that's not entirely true either. Yes, an MGS game is coming out on 360, but Kojima himself stated the true sequel in the series is coming to PSP, and he's actually lead director/artist on that one. Not to fuel anything, but I believe while Konami understands and wants multiplatform support, that Kojima himself will take a bit more time before he makes the plunge. Time will tell, I suppose.

Morne

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Well, that's not entirely true either. Yes, an MGS game is coming out on 360, but Kojima himself stated the true sequel in the series is coming to PSP, and he's actually lead director/artist on that one. Not to fuel anything, but I believe while Konami understands and wants multiplatform support, that Kojima himself will take a bit more time before he makes the plunge. Time will tell, I suppose.

Morne

So it's the Dragon Quest scenario where the main series is going to handhelds? No matter as long as this is good, the main MGS story as of now is completly fucked up.

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Morne

So it's the Dragon Quest scenario where the main series is going to handhelds? No matter as long as this is good, the main MGS story as of now is completly fucked up.

Not entirely sure actually, I think it's really just Kojima attempting to stay away from multi-platform developement as long as he can avoid it. Not entirely sure if it's some kind of bias against the 360, or what (I'm not a hardcore MGS follower, 4 was the first). But, he'll have to bend eventually, or split from Konami/leave Kojima Studios.

Morne

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Mornelithe:

NoMoreSanity:

Morne

Not entirely sure actually, I think it's really just Kojima attempting to stay away from multi-platform developement as long as he can avoid it. Not entirely sure if it's some kind of bias against the 360, or what (I'm not a hardcore MGS follower, 4 was the first). But, he'll have to bend eventually, or split from Konami/leave Kojima Studios.

Morne

Well if he's that much against multi-platform development I'm geussing the latter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here