Apple Rejects Commodore 64 Emulator

Apple Rejects Commodore 64 Emulator

An officially licensed C64 emulator for the iPhone has been rejected by Apple.

The iPhone app store is proving to be something of a mixed blessing for Apple, as it seems that every few weeks the company finds itself splashed all over the internet having approved some questionable application, or rejected an application for a nonsensical reason. This time it's the turn of the official Commodore 64 iPhone emulator.

If you weren't aware, the C64 was a pretty big deal in the 80's and gamers of a certain age have fond memories of loading games from tapes. The emulator, developed by Manomio in concert with Danish developer Kiloo Aps, would have allowed users to load ROMs and relive their childhood while on the move. Sadly, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, certainly not for the immediate future anyway, due to a clause in the iPhone SDK terms & conditions that states "an Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means."

While it's got to be annoying to have something that you've worked on for a year rejected, it's not really Apple's fault that Manomio and Kiloo Aps didn't read the terms & conditions properly. On the other hand, some commenters have pointed out there are already applications available for the iPhone that can execute code, just like an emulator.

Source: Joystiq

I really wish they were consistent with which apps they approved and denied.

Its games within a game. Apple wants to make money off every game not give people an unlimited pass to a large amount of games that they can't really screen for problems. They don't want this app over taking all the others because of that.

What! They DARE reject the C64!?! DOWN WITH THE UNBELIEVERS! Also:

The Political Gamer:
Its games within a game.

This is probably the real issue. They want to sell people each and every title instead of giving them a pass at all the C64 content out there.

It seems a bit bogus that they have also approved apps that clearly violate the rule this one has, unless you consider the above.

I have fond C64 memories, but I agree that it's not Apple's fault if you don't read the rules.

Screw you apple. I'll get an emulator myself.

It all depends on who you get when that person looks at the app application. Sometimes it is a good guy sometimes it is a person with bad judgement. I can understand that apple wants users to only buy apps from the apps store and not find entertainment from a single app and that makes sense because no matter the morals or any other power money will always come first because that is the nature of business.

Only way around I can see is just create each C64 app seperatley and sell that. It is not breaking the T&C and apple will get money just like the creator.

Dear Apple,

fix your policy, either follow it one way all of the time or there's no point in having one.

The Political Gamer:
Its games within a game. Apple wants to make money off every game not give people an unlimited pass to a large amount of games that they can't really screen for problems. They don't want this app over taking all the others because of that.

Yup, this is the real reason they didn't approve this app, they want to sell every individual ROM instead of giving people the ability to load their own.

No doubt this one is money wise (Hmm, do we approve it and lose the ability to sell all those games one by one? Mmmmmmmno.) but the bigger problem is they seem so damn inconsistent in their approval process. Like they've got two guys in charge of it, one of them likes everything and the other doesn't. Like with the NIN one, it pretty much removes any chance of arguing on their behalf when they refuse an app due to "explicit content" being the lyrics of the music that they also sell. It needs an overhaul, not that will do aps like this any good, alas.

nilcypher:
it's not really Apple's fault

I'm not sure how anyone can claim, by any means of reason, that any of Apple's app inconsistencies and stupidities are not Apple's fault. We're talking about a company that locks everything and keeps a strict leash around all their platforms.

It still surprises me that so many people are willing to invest in products that lock up their products and allow very little wiggle room.

Pendragon9:
Screw you apple. I'll get an emulator myself.

Is it odd that my next thought when reading this was "...with Blackjack! And hookers!"?

It's probably just as well. If GameTap's C64 forey was of any indication, any decent C64 games aren't up for emulating, perhaps because of the difficulty of converting all those fastload routines.

Monsters!

Commodore is the father of all computers!

What!?
Thats an excellent app!
Why apple.. Why?

They also don't want people jailbreaking the iPhones that Apple is so gracious as to lease to them. Hope that works for out for them.

Okay, that really sucks. Maybe they're doing this because of copyright to the games or something?

It's Apple, just like any company, they want to make as much money as they can.

But I've seen many apps that do what they were rejected for...so damn it Apple, make up your mind already.

I think a C64 emulator would have been a reason for me to choose the iPhone over other phones. While the reasons may be within their guidelines I don't think that they make friends with these decisions.

dirk45:
I think a C64 emulator would have been a reason for me to choose the iPhone over other phones. While the reasons may be within their guidelines I don't think that they make friends with these decisions.

+1 that and put in a decent camera

Oh well, I'll stick with a platform with an operating system which doesn't have hermetic sealing thanks to its App Store. I mean, there's been C64 emulators for Windows Mobile for donkey's years, and they exist for Palm OS and Symbian OS as well.

Oh man I would love replaying the old gold box SSI games on the iPhone. *sigh* I guess we will have to wait for the lawsuits to begin and end.

Wait, so can we have V-21 games?

I'm glad they'll be gone in 10 years.

Jobs is a control freak of course he doesnt want you using your product for anything that isnt 'jobs' approved.

nilcypher:
the C64 was a pretty big deal in the 80's

In the same way that the Superbowl is a pretty big event.

It was the first real console wars. Death to the Speccys with your deadflesh keyboards!

I have great memories of the c64 first time i ever saw a computer.

The_root_of_all_evil:

nilcypher:
the C64 was a pretty big deal in the 80's

In the same way that the Superbowl is a pretty big event.

TRS-80 was the first computer I used; after that, though, it was Commodores for about ten years from the PET 2008s at junior high through the 4016s at high school to the C-64 Dad won as a prize at work. I remember my brother saving up for the 64's 300-baud modem so he could use it for distance learning...

*sigh* Nostalgia...

-- Steve

PS: for the young'uns, the PETs' numeric codes represented the size of the built-in screen and the system's RAM. That 2008 had a twenty-column screen (twenty characters side-by-side) and had a whopping 8 kilobytes of memory. The 4016s had twice the screen size and twice the memory, so those were considered to be really smokin' units. Of course, all eight in the school's computer room had to share the one networked dual-floppy drive that sounded like a coffee grinder when writing data...

It's not like you can't put a c64 emulator on your iphone anyway, or (almost) any other emulator.

Maybe releasing an emulator with, say, a dozen games built in with the ability to download new game packs (for a price)would be a good way to do it. Of course, then they ned to get the licenses for allthe c64 games they include.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here