Get Old, Become a Danger in Driver Seat

Get Old, Become a Danger in Driver Seat

Gamers of all ages can now experience first-hand the thrill of becoming old, feeble and unable to drive to the local store without committing vehicular manslaughter in Driver Seat, "the world's first senior driving simulator."

Produced by insurance giant Liberty Mutual, Driver Seat is an attempt to demonstrate the various obstacles facing elderly citizens when they get behind the wheel of a car. The game lets people choose to drive as a 65, 75 or 85-year-old in one of four environments: Urban, suburban, outskirts or wilderness. Not only will you drive, you'll also take part in a number of mini-games, each designed to illustrate the increasing difficulties faced by drivers as they age.

Liberty Mutual described the game as a "revolutionary digital approach to tackling the highly sensitive subject of senior driving." Calling it a "great conversation starter," Senior Vice President Greg Gordon said, "Most families are simply not addressing the very important issue of senior mobility, perhaps because they feel ill-equipped on how to approach it. The game... can help overcome that reluctance."

Of course, the game is designed for failure; I was able to maneuver through much of the game reasonably well (even as a nearly-blind 85-year-old) but time and again, the simple act of parking eluded me. Parked cars and pedestrians alike suffered as my gnarled fingers spun the wheel of my yacht-like '78 Cadillac hither and yon, and ultimately it took me longer to get the thing into a spot than it would've taken to just pull on some shoes and walk. But it's quite possible that I may just be the wrong demographic for a game like this; as a long-time gamer I've been thoroughly indoctrinated to believe that when it comes to driving, fatalities are less important than getting there fast.

Dealing with an elderly parents whose declining faculties create a safety hazard every time he or she gets behind the wheel of a car isn't funny. Fortunately, Driver Seat is! Give it a shot at libertymutual.com.

Source: GameCulture

Reminds me of that one South Park episode with all the Old Folks driving around and killing people. Classic.

NoMoreSanity:
Reminds me of that one South Park episode with all the Old Folks driving around and killing people. Classic.

That happens in real life too, mainly at supermarket car parks, and with the trolley boys running for their lifes.

Its f*cking scary!

NoMoreSanity:

With the jaws theme music and everything :0

NoMoreSanity:

Don't the old people enslave the young people at a ceartain point in the episode?

Get old, become a danger in a driving seat, retire from driving and get a bus pass (Y) that's the plan

Ranooth:

NoMoreSanity:

That happens in real life too, mainly at supermarket car parks, and with the trolley boys running for their lifes.

Its f*cking scary!

Remind me to never drive with my Grandparents at Supermarkets than.

johnman:

NoMoreSanity:

With the jaws theme music and everything :0

Yes :).

oliveira8:

NoMoreSanity:

Don't the old people enslave the young people at a ceartain point in the episode?

Yes but the four boys stop them by locking up their Restaurent.

Oh boy, wait til the AARP gets around to this one.

......This isnt county kitchen

shophius:
Get old, become a danger in a driving seat, retire from driving and get a bus pass (Y) that's the plan

Don't know why they would be getting a bus pass, they should be too busy living the dream, saving up pension money for corrective surgery and a wealth of games consoles and games, it's like you're 12 again, not a care in the world!

OT: GOTY 2009?

This game has so many issues with not registering clicks it hurts!

Edit - Allot of these fucking pedestrians are suicidal and walk in front of you!

I played as an 85 year old and when I was parking I ran over every person I saw.

Instead of berating me for all the people I killed it told me

You're driving like a 16 year old!

Holy rejuvenating vehicular homicide!

Methinks this is sending out the wrong message.

The elderly cannot use brakes?I can't seem to find a 'brake' key.

yeah that doesn't surprise me much really

the scary part about driving is i can figure out which are the bad drivers out there before i drive past them, old people and women are the worst. my neighbour had his license pulled cause he was a dangerous driver due to age

what a petty attempt at creating a real life situation. if this was a parody then i'd understand, but the fact that they actually call this a simulation makes it ludicrous. no rear view mirror? no side mirrors? car without servo? counter intuitive controls?

no thanks, i'd rather try it out in real life as an 85 year old than go through this game.

That game sucks. I tried for 5 minutes to hit a pedestrian in GTA top-down mode and you can't. Hard enough to chase the fuckers around, but when you can't even run em over at a crosswalk? And in first-person view, you can't plow your car onto the sidewalk or lawn. How can I recreate the California Farmer's Market Massacre when my car can't offroad?

On a more serious note, that "game" serves no purpose. Without actual wheel controls, it's meaningless and in no way represents driving.

This is a step in the right direction. Now if they would just develop simulations that show how dangerous it is to drive with a cell phone to your ear, a yapping dog in your lap or a newspaper draped over the steering wheel, maybe we'd finally start to put a dent in the number of morons on the roads.

I kid you not, I have seen ALL of those things while driving.

Meh. I don;t think this will go far

xmetatr0nx:
Oh boy, wait til the AARP gets around to this one.

lol This.

Without Chalton Heston the AARP isn't what it used to be. :)

That said, I have mixed opinions. The problem is when dealing with elderly loved ones is that you have to literally force them to do something they don't want to do (give up driving) and they WILL hate you for it.

It's one of those wierd gray areas on civil liberties that is going to be very hard to deal with. Generally speaking I see it as a state issue though. This means walk on (or near) the Apshalt in Florida at your own risk. :)

Hahah I totally rammed some kid trying to jay walk. And went over him some 5 times, for a lesson. Those damn whippersnappers these days, got no rispect for nobody! Back in my day, you didn't jay walk - you walked up-fucking-hill, against wind and rain, just to cross the road like a good mannered person!

The music in this game is so entertaining... it really misses the point by being so hilarious XD

How do you guys find this stuff?

also playing now

I think people over 60,epileptic people,and people bellow 18 shouldnt get behind the wheel of a car. Reason being the safety of others

Well at an Urban 85 year old who has never driven before, its fair to say I did somewhat awful.

Frankly, without actual wheel controls with accurate feedback of all of the details of the car, simulator-style, I think that this "game" is mostly pointless. As well as that, while most old people suffer from reduced sight and poor reflexes, some people manage to retain them for a very long time - or at least had superhuman reflexes to begin with, as I address below.

Malicious:
I think people over 60,epileptic people,and people bellow 18 shouldnt get behind the wheel of a car. Reason being the safety of others

Ever heard of a little somebody called Stirling Moss?

http://www.stirlingmoss.com/

He probably has more driving talent at eighty than nearly anybody on this forum has at twenty, thirty or forty. Seriously.

RAKtheUndead:
Frankly, without actual wheel controls with accurate feedback of all of the details of the car, simulator-style, I think that this "game" is mostly pointless. As well as that, while most old people suffer from reduced sight and poor reflexes, some people manage to retain them for a very long time - or at least had superhuman reflexes to begin with, as I address below.

Malicious:

Ever heard of a little somebody called Stirling Moss?

http://www.stirlingmoss.com/

He probably has more driving talent at eighty than nearly anybody on this forum has at twenty, thirty or forty. Seriously.

Indeed but one person does not justify the many. Just like theres one in a million 15 year olds that can probably drive,but id still not want them in traffic

Quite honestly, I've had games as far back as the NES which more accurately simulated driving than this game. I have to attribute most of the collisions to bad design. In first person view, you can't see out the side windows, no mirrors (side or rear-view), and there isn't varying degrees of turning, just key pressed, or key not pressed.

And if they wanted to simulate poor vision, it should shake a bit, fade in and out randomly, and/or have entirely missing spots.

But what troubles me most, is that as you get older, the game interprets the top-down mode as elderly people going FASTER as they get more decrepit. Have the creators never driven behind a 90-year-old? They go like 10KPH on a 100KPH highway. It takes them the entire light cycle to clear an intersection. They don't get faster.

I'm 18 and I recently started learning to drive - 3 lessons in I could already notice people making 20x more mistakes than me, you find that people who are learning/just passed their test are twice as responsible, since the training is fresh in their mind.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here