Ubisoft: Splinter Cell Conviction Exclusivity a "Logical Step"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft: Splinter Cell Conviction Exclusivity a "Logical Step"

The decision to make Splinter Cell Conviction a 360/PC exclusive was made years ago, according to Ubisoft, who don't seem bothered by the idea that they might be missing out on a large percentage of potential customers by making their game Microsoft-only.

When it launches later this year, Splinter Cell Conviction will be one of the rare third-party games these days that doesn't make its way to every platform around. Ubisoft explained last week that the decision to go 360/PC only was because the series has been "historically linked with Microsoft platforms," which was reasoning that smelled a bit fishy (if fish smelled like money).

According to Ubisoft, however, the decision to go MS-exclusive wasn't something the company did without careful consideration. If Microsoft did buy Splinter Cell Conviction's exclusivity, they must have done it a long time ago. "It was a decision that we took many years ago," Ubisoft's Alain Corre said. "It's been an ongoing process. For us when we decided to do that many years ago it was a logical step."

A logical step? Maybe in the sense that it's easier to develop a game for a single platform without a reputation for being difficult to work on, but maybe not in terms of spending tons of money making a game and then limiting your potential consumer base. Ubisoft, however, doesn't see this as a problem. "There are also a lot of hardcore gamers who have ownership of both consoles," Corre said. "And everyone has a PC at home. To a certain extent if players want the next Splinter Cell game they will find a way."

Everyone does have a PC at home, but not everyone has one that can run Splinter Cell Conviction. And yes, plenty of people have both consoles, but plenty of people don't, and I'm not sure Conviction is a system seller, impressive as it looks. Well, if you're a PS3 owner who's trying to "find a way" to play Conviction, the only way might be to hope and wait.

[Via GI.biz]

Well I'll get this for 360 as my PC is shit.

NoMoreSanity:

Same here. There's no way my PC could handle this game. But I am looking foward to this game.
And Alane Wake.

SMOKEMNHALO2001:

NoMoreSanity:

Same here. There's no way my PC could handle this game. But I am looking foward to this game.
And Alane Wake.

Hell my PC can barely run Star Wars:Jedi Outcast II.

I'll check it out. But I can't help the nagging feeling that this will be going for the "Hard-Boiled"/"Renegade Cop" (Ala Dead to Rights) theme, which has been done so many times.

Well, two years from release they'll make it for PS3. Wasn't Splinter Cell on PS2? Bad Ubisoft!

xxhazyshadowsxx:
I'll check it out. But I can't help the nagging feeling that this will be going for the "Hard-Boiled"/"Renegade Cop" (Ala Dead to Rights) theme, which has been done so many times.

Nah, it seems more Frank Miller, in that it's a bloody revenge/QUESTION(S!!!!!) driven story.

Booze Zombie:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

Nah, it seems more Frank Miller, in that it's a bloody revenge/QUESTION(S!!!!!) driven story.

Ok, but if Sam Fisher is driving down the street doing exposition that lasts for 10 minutes about How the sky looks like only salvation from the crumpling remains of the city..
Somebody gets shot.

xxhazyshadowsxx:
Ok, but if Sam Fisher is driving down the street doing exposition that lasts for 10 minutes about How the sky looks like only salvation from the crumpling remains of the city..
Somebody gets shot.

Pre shitty comic/movie, I'm talking Sin City "I took his weapon... both of them" Frank Miller.

I don't want to sound too rude, but how is this article any different than the one posted weeks ago about Conviction's exclusivity?

Actually, to redirect the question at Ubisoft, why are they saying this yet again? Who keeps bugging them about the issue? It's not that big of a deal.

Isn't this the one where they abandon stealth and make it every FPS ever, but in third person?

Sounds like they're doing PS3 owners a favor.

Booze Zombie:

xxhazyshadowsxx:
Somebody gets shot.

Pre shitty comic/movie, I'm talking Sin City "I took his weapon... both of them" Frank Miller.

Ah, thats more like it.

MaxTheReaper:
Isn't this the one where they abandon stealth and make it every FPS ever, but in third person?

Sounds about right. After all who needs consistency? Lets just completely destroy what works well and add more guns. That must be what the fans want.. right?

MaxTheReaper:

I stealthily shotgunned that guard in the face, five times!

But seriously, the devs have mentioned that the dark/light meter is still there, you can still do neck snaps, pushing and pulling kills and all the other stuff.

It's just, there's a Halo-frenzy option, too. Which I don't object to, sometimes... you just need to come home and shotgun a drug dealer in the face before pushing his best friend out of a window.

Well it certainly is a logical step if you don't like your game to sell.
The only logical exclusives are ones that would be limited if ported on other systems, like a game that uses Wii controls or a game that relies heavily on the PS3's hardware/power.

Keane Ng:
reasoning that smelled a bit fishy (if fish smelled like money).

Nice one, well said.

As long as you can play through most of the game using stealth, it will be fine. As Booze Zombie said, sometimes you just need to go loud.

Though multiplatforming is definitely a better say to get more sales...I'm glad I've got a 360 in this case (not meaning to dish any PS3 owners).

But until Chaos Theory I played Splinter Cell on the PC and the multiplayer was great. System requirements just get steeper and steeper.

I'm really looking forward to this. Not only can it play on the 360, but a portion of it is set in Malta! It would be funny to see some of the locals here digitally rendered, And i can nitpick all the mistakes they make :D

Regarding the "bawww they're changing it" sentiments. Here's the deal. It's a plot-related reason. Sam is now on the run from his own government, of course things are going to change. Yes the stealth is still there, but it's more about blending into a crowd and having to suddenly haul ass and ditch pursuers if you get spotted. It's not "every FPS ever in third person", at least not from what I'm gathering. Of course, I have yet to play the game, so I cannot make a final judgement until I do.

I'm not sure which platform I'll be getting it for, I'm sure my PC can run it now but at the same time, I've played the other games on a console and that might be a bit more natural feeling for me.

Booze Zombie:

MaxTheReaper:

I stealthily shotgunned that guard in the face, five times!

But seriously, the devs have mentioned that the dark/light meter is still there, you can still do neck snaps, pushing and pulling kills and all the other stuff.

It's just, there's a Halo-frenzy option, too. Which I don't object to, sometimes... you just need to come home and shotgun a drug dealer in the face before pushing his best friend out of a window.

Everyone enjoys a little mayhem once in awhile. I guess they were trying to bridge the gap between Gears players and Splinter Cell players. Let's just hope they don't fall flat on their faces with that concept.

There are also a lot of hardcore gamers who have ownership of both consoles," Corre said. "And everyone has a PC at home. To a certain extent if players want the next Splinter Cell game they will find a way.

Those are some terrible words to use as a business representative. Seriously, over-generalizing the consumer base and making assumptions...big no-no.

I don't have both consoles. I do have a PC, but it's definitely not capable of running the latest games.

Terrible statements aside, I'm wondering about that "mark target" feature in the game. It seems to make it too easy to eliminate people from hiding, since after marking each target, Sam is capable of head shotting everyone that was marked within seconds.

I'll probably be picking this up for PC.

MaxTheReaper:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please. Keep talking.

LeadTaco:

MaxTheReaper:

Hence: "Isn't this..."
Which is asking a question based on what I've been told about the game.

P.S. Being snide definitely helps any situation.

I am curious where they go with the story. Sam Fisher is one of my favorite sociopaths right next to Frank Castle. I still think my favorite quote from Sam ever is, "I won't kill him next time." The exclusive rights to the title don't bother me a bit and I'm not sure whether to get it for PC or 360 but I guess since I can run Crysis on High I might as well get it on PC.

Ubi wasn't wrong in saying that the Splinter Cell series has always leaned towards Microsoft consoles. Almost all the games released first on the Xbox, with the PS2 and Gamecube getting downgraded ports.

So this really isn't too shocking. I'm guessing this is a timed exclusive and they'll make a PS3 port later on, as they did with Double Agent.

NoMoreSanity:

SMOKEMNHALO2001:

NoMoreSanity:

And Alane Wake.

Hell my PC can barely run Star Wars:Jedi Outcast II.

Ouch.

Either way this sounds like the exact same excuse, Microsoft paid us to keep it exclusive, so we did. Nature of the business. I don't see why these companies keep talking and digging a deeper hole for themselves.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I don't want to sound too rude, but how is this article any different than the one posted weeks ago about Conviction's exclusivity?

Actually, to redirect the question at Ubisoft, why are they saying this yet again? Who keeps bugging them about the issue? It's not that big of a deal.

Look at the number of responses on the last thread.

That's what Ubisoft is worried about: they're trying to minimize the damage of the announcement of exclusivity.

EDIT: As in, the inevitable wave of PS3 fans that will instantly declare it bad for being a Microsoft exclusive.

MaxTheReaper:

LeadTaco:

MaxTheReaper:

Hence: "Isn't this..."
Which is asking a question based on what I've been told about the game.

P.S. Being snide definitely helps any situation.

Yeah, you're right. Most of Double Agent (From what I could bare to play) was either daytime stealth (Which is BS) or the much more fun and effective run and gun. It's not more fun and effective because I prefer it, it's more fun and effective because they completely ruined the stealth play.

MaxTheReaper:

Gotta agree with you Max, Splinter Cell isn't the stealth game it once was.

MaxTheReaper:

A good reason why I probably am not interested. I don't think I ever even bought a Splinter Cell game.

Ubisoft is used to developing well on the PS3, they did it with Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia, so they don't have an excuse with the difficulty there. I'm pretty sure that M$ bought exclusivity. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I like Splinter Cell, but definitely not a system seller for me.

Splinter Cell has always been the poor man's Metal Gear, as far as gameplay is concerned.

FloodOne:
Splinter Cell has always been the poor man's Metal Gear, as far as gameplay is concerned.

I never got to the level where Sam fights the giant metal robot or giant gun wielding superhumans...

Rednog:

FloodOne:

I never got to the level where Sam fights the giant metal robot or giant gun wielding superhumans...

yea... the poor mans metal gear. I also must have missed the robots and fake bullshit while Sam uses real tools and uses moves that are actually taught in SF. Hence making the game more believable and badass.

If poor means we want an actual story with hilarious dark humor then yes its poor.
as a wise man once said:
METAL GEAR!?
METAL GEAR!!
BUGGER ME!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: