It's "Game Over" for Aliens RPG

It's "Game Over" for Aliens RPG

Obsidian Entertainment and Sega have confirmed that the Aliens RPG announced in late 2006 has been canceled.

Rumors about the game's cancellation have been swirling for months and Obsidian has finally revealed that the project has in fact been shut down. "Unfortunately, it is true that we are no longer working on the game, and we wanted to finally announce that officially to everyone who has been following its development," an admin wrote on the Obsidian forums. "We're going to keep this forum up for another week for archival purposes and to allow you guys to finish up any open threads, and then we will shut it down since it is no longer a product that is in development. All of us here at Obsidian would like to thank you for your interest and support during its development."

In a statement to GameSpot, Sega, the game's planned publisher, added that it has "no plans to move forward with the Aliens RPG."

"The Aliens franchise offers us so much content to choose from that we feel it important to take a step back and carefully consider the type of game we want to release," a company representative said. "We plan to continue working with the Aliens franchise and ask fans to be patient and stay tuned for more information about what Sega has coming out for the Aliens series of games, starting with the upcoming Alien vs. Predator game."

It's bad news for fans of the Alien series but fortunately not the end of the line for people looking for something new and awesome from Obsidian: The studio is still hard at work on the new Fallout game, Fallout: New Vegas.

via: Gamasutra

That's a shame.

We can probably go without one more Space Marine Shooter, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another studio pick this up.

they say;

"The Aliens franchise offers us so much content to choose from that we feel it important to take a step back and carefully consider the type of game we want to release"

so the kind of game they want to release is a rehash of a classic?

In all honesty, the new AVP looks awesome enough to keep me alien happy for quite some time.

for the people to hear that, that has to be a slap to the face. Also why would still be developing a game 2 years after its date?!?!.......THEN GIVE UP!?!?!?! Also since SEGA was in this then they were probably working on The Conduit with High Voltage.

Damn. I was kinda lookin forward to it. I was curious to see how they would make an Alien RPG work.

imageAn RPG could have been fun. Though, what I really want is some new Aliens/AvP arcade-stle side-scrollers like the old Aliens 1990 arcade release from Konami and the 1994 Alien vs Predator by Capcom.

Note: Despite how the Aliens game article tries to rip Konami a new one, I fucking LOVED the game. Yes, it didn't follow the second film verbatim... So what? The best movie-related game is the kind where you don't know every fucking thing that's going to happen, because it offers you something other than a slightly interactive rehash of the film. The arcade game was an f'ing blast in my eyes, and that you got to blow the shit out of Xenos rocked. The only valid complaint made was why the fuck was there zombie-like humans? (Oh and the article writer's complaint about the dog-aliens, yeah, Alien3 Motherfucker! Suck that canon.)

As to Alien vs Predator (no article to rip apart), that game was exactly what the Alien franchise needs. Aliens + Earth + senseless violence and bitchin guns. Oh, and they actually included the M41A pulse rifle in this one. Favorite fictional weapon ever!

I was quietly looking forward to this... ah well. The new AvP should be a good game as well, and the Colonial Marines game (if it hasn't already been cancelled?) will rock my world.

Khell_Sennet:
An RPG could have been fun.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but an RPG wouldn't last seventeen seconds in this market. ;)

Note: Despite how the Aliens game article tries to rip Konami a new one, I fucking LOVED the game.

Ditto. It had almost nothing to do with the real movie (The Japanese version being closer but not much), but this is Alien/(s) we're talking about where each film destroys the previous films canon.

I'll feel quite cheated if they canned this RPG idea just to make another Alien shooter game.

Making an Aliens RPG was a very interesting move, and I had high hopes. This announcement is a real shame.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but an RPG wouldn't last seventeen seconds in this market. ;)

Blame that on the Halo Generation, a bunch of twitch-action junkies who only want to play deathmatch FPS games, or WoW.

The problem I've always had with Aliens/Predator/AvP games is the insistence that you can choose a side. Choice of race begets more and more problems, including how to balance the fact that 1 Pred is worth 10 Marines, and 1 Marine is worth 10 Xenos. They take all three sides, and say 1=1=1, which leaves the predators feeling like pussies, and the xenos develop a god complex. Colonial Marine is a step in the right direction, picking the side for you, and thus allowing balance.

An RPG could work very well from the perspective of either the Predator or the Human faction. If it's human perspective, predators would be elite bosses or miniboss level monsters, while Xenos of all sorts make up the main enemy. Humans could still be enemies too, after all, humanity is far from united, and going against "The Company" and its cronies could be a good plot element. Or if from the Pred side of things, a mix of humans and xenos make the bulk of the enemies, with human technology (tanks/apcs) and super-form xenos being the boss-type elements. But it's one or the other, all three sides are at odds. It's not like we're going to get an AvP RPG where you roll up the stats for four characters, a Marine Sniper, a Xeno Warrior, a Predator Scout, and a Marine Medic, then go trounce through dungeons fighting imps and kobolds (Although that could be pretty kickass).

On that thought... The Baldur's Gate engine could work wonders for an Aliens/AvP RPG. Roll up six colonial marines as your squad, and go retake LV-426. Or better yet, EARTH.

Fuck, I'm going to work on this idea and see what I can come up with. It's sounding more fun than any of the crap that's supposed to be coming out.

Psychosocial:
In all honesty, the new AVP looks awesome enough to keep me alien happy for quite some time.

This

but this would have been nice to fall back on incase the other went down like a sack of bricks

Khell_Sennet:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

I'm hoping you caught that reference though.

I can't see how the Aliens franchise could work as an RPG..Perhaps it's for the better.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

I thought it was SIXTEEN seconds?

Yeah, Aliens would work as an RPG if it was done kinda mass effect style with more focus on strategy. OR, Fallout 3 style. Especially if your a predator.

TsunamiWombat:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

I thought it was SIXTEEN seconds?

Hudson: Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Khell_Sennet:

I do now... I feel dumb.
I should not brain at work, it doesn't always pan out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here