Sega Hasn't Abandoned Mature Wii Games

Sega Hasn't Abandoned Mature Wii Games

Despite seemingly lackluster sales for the M-rated fare it has released on the Wii, Sega isn't ready to abandon publishing mature games on the family-friendly console yet.

Sega has been one of the most prominent publishers when it comes to pushing mature content into the family-friendly library on the Wii. MadWorld and The House of the Dead: Overkill alone provided the console with more gore-filled gaming than most of its library combined.

Being ballsy doesn't always pay off, and both titles failed to make a big splash when it came to the sales charts. Sega, however, doesn't see mature games on the Wii as an endeavor they're ready to abandon, or one that has even really failed yet. "House of the Dead: Overkill was a profitable title for us," Gary Dunn of Sega Europe said. "Whilst it had a rather sharp tail at full price, they do bubble away at a lower price point for a long time."

Dunn doesn't exactly say the same thing for MadWorld, but he believes in the idea behind the game. "You have to push boundaries and explore," he said. "I think whilst MadWorld commercially didn't sell well what were expecting I wouldn't say it's game over for mature Wii titles from Sega."

Sega, then, is pondering its next move. "We're taking a look at the resources we have now," Dunn said. "We've got money to invest in development, we're just considering where to invest it next." MadWorld 2? Even though Sega's looking to push the envelope, I'd still be surprised if it happened.

[Via GI.biz]

I think that mature Wii games are a good idea, and I'm happy that Sega has decided to make more. Will they ever sell well? I doubt it, but I want more titles like these, because it would finally give me a reason to get off my butt and get a Wii.

Lately, games like MadWorld, House of the Dead: Overkill and No More Heroes (not by SEGA, I know) have been the saving grace of the Wii. With most of last year's Nintendo published games being simple re-releases or utter shit, Wii gamers have been forced to depend entirely on third party titles, and so far, only SEGA has delivered.

I know a violent game doesn't necessarily make it a good game, but so far, SEGA has proven that they know how to combine blood and gore with camp value or dark humor. To summarize, this is good news!

My RSS reader said SEGA hasn't abandoned... and I was hoping it said Jet Grind Radio. Oh well.

Oh good, My faith has been reinstated in Sega.

Also they didn't sell as well as they'd hoped?

It's outsold Afro Samurai, and is one of the better selling new IP's, and not far behind HOTD Overkill.

I think the Wii would make a good home for a new Toejam & Earl game. Assuming they're not obliged to keep that series on Microsoft systems, now.

Too bad you still don't get it Sega. I don't want kiddy games or gore fests full of realism and anti-graphics messages. I want something FUN.

A 2.5 dimensional Sonic game would beat MAdworld anyday.

I REALLY want tThe conduit to do well so that developers will have a reason to make more serious games for the Wii. Everyone knows that Metroid, Zelda, and Mario games tend to be good, but there needs to be other franchises that do well so that the non-casual gaame library on the Wii can grow.

They've got The Conduit, remember? Yeah, okay, that's not M rated (in the US, it's rated 16 here) but I'd hope we can call a game mature without requiring senseless violence.

Though overall I don't get why people complain about a lack of games on the Wii, I've got plenty of them. Reminds me, I need to play more Disaster: Day of Crisis. Well, maybe after I get 100% relics in Icarian which I'll probably do after playing some more Water Warfare...

Pendragon9:
Too bad you still don't get it Sega. I don't want kiddy games or gore fests full of realism and anti-graphics messages. I want something FUN.

Sega has proven that they have no fucking clue when it comes to Sonic. Just forget it.

SomeGuyNamedKy:
My RSS reader said SEGA hasn't abandoned... and I was hoping it said Jet Grind Radio. Oh well.

Your post makes me sad. It reminds me that recently a Jet Set/Grind Radio sequel was pitched to Sega...and they denied it.

Rip out my heart and fornicate it violently why don't you Sega?

I'm glad they are making a push for more titles of that ilk, but they need to make sure the titles are good, not just being mature for the sake of it. MadWorld was good, but it would have sold poorly on any console, people despised the art style (while I loved it) and HoTd Overkill was a rail shooter, it doesn't count.

Couple them with High Voltage Software, Bethesda announcing a Wii game soon, and other factors, third party support is rising, and some interesting titles are coming from this.

SomeGuyNamedKy:

I still haven't gotten over that yet. The sad thing is, if they made a new one, it would sell damn well from what I can tell. Nearly everyone I meet says they make it, so either they've got poor advice or I just happen to run into alot of JSR fans.

Please make more mature Wii games, then I don't feel like an idiot for getting one.

ChromeAlchemist:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

Your post makes me sad. It reminds me that recently a Jet Set/Grind Radio sequel was pitched to Sega...and they denied it.

I never heard of that happening, god SEGA is really dumb when it comes to fan service aren't they?

ChromeAlchemist:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

I'm glad they are making a push for more titles of that ilk, but they need to make sure the titles are good, not just being mature for the sake of it. MadWorld was good, but it would have sold poorly on any console, people despised the art style (while I loved it) and HoTd Overkill was a rail shooter, it doesn't count.

Couple them with High Voltage Software, Bethesda announcing a Wii game soon, and other factors, third party support is rising, and some interesting titles are coming from this.

Considering that MadWorld and Overkill were both good games, I think Sega knows what they're doing when they release M-rated games on the Wii, and it seems like we can also trust High Voltage Software with mature titles. I agree on your initial point, though; having a large amount of games that are violent just to be violent would be as bad not having any violent games at all.

It's still good to see more developers taking the Wii seriously, and not just in regards to having more grown-up games. EA Sports is already showing off how well they can use the new Wii MotionPlus, and you can see more developers treating multiplatform games on Wii better. The Ghostbusters video game is a good example of this, as it's not just a hastily-thrown together port of the 360/PS3 version; it's almost a completely different game, if the professional reviews are to be trusted. It's really starting to look like developers are ditching the whole Gamecube 1.5 mentality when they look at the Wii.

Sounds awesome. Now MotionPlus is here, so you can tell a LOT of new projects from big name studios will trot over to the Wii. Just don't... dumb it down for Wii's main crowd.

KDR_11k:
They've got The Conduit, remember? Yeah, okay, that's not M rated (in the US, it's rated 16 here) but I'd hope we can call a game mature without requiring senseless violence.

Though overall I don't get why people complain about a lack of games on the Wii, I've got plenty of them. Reminds me, I need to play more Disaster: Day of Crisis. Well, maybe after I get 100% relics in Icarian which I'll probably do after playing some more Water Warfare...

Pendragon9:

Sega has proven that they have no fucking clue when it comes to Sonic. Just forget it.

Blame Sonic Team, dude. They can't develop ANYTHING worth a flying fuck even if it doesn't have Sonic.

Keane Ng:
"We've got money to invest in development, we're just considering where to invest it next."

ValkyriaChronicles2ValkyriaChronicles2ValkyriaChronicles2ValkyriaChronicles2

scotth266:
I think that mature Wii games are a good idea, and I'm happy that Sega has decided to make more. Will they ever sell well? I doubt it, but I want more titles like these, because it would finally give me a reason to get off my butt and get a Wii.

You could well be seeing more games of a niche style like MadWorld (probably not as niche but still out of the ordinary) because of the fact that you have to sell considerably less on the Wii to make profit. MadWorld sold around a quarter of a million, HOTD Overkill around a hundred thousand more. Sales like that on the PS360 means you just about break even. Though it's like I say, MadWorld probably wouldn't have sold much more regardless of console. And mature doesn't have to be huge amounts of gore, it could be gritty, dramatic, or something else. If they just need to sell around 200,000 units for the title to be profitable, that means they can take risks in a sense.

Indigo_Dingo:

Sega: Then it is decided, we will make a Sonic the Hedgehog game where Sonic uses magic to battle orcs and the like.

I can see it going well, we just need to get the right team on it, also weed out as much gimmicky bullshit as possible.

Here's a hint, Sega: "mature", in the sense of gore, is not enough. Make a GOOD game, and then go ahead and let it be mature. Don't start with "maturity" and then try to make it good after the fact, that doesn't work. Also, just because a game is mature, doesn't mean it's about gore. If all the game has going for it is gore, your only audience is middle school kids.

laryri:

Indigo_Dingo:

Sega: Then it is decided, we will make a Sonic the Hedgehog game where Sonic uses magic to battle orcs and the like.

Way I see it, that then means they'll make an awesome game to compensate

SomeGuyNamedKy:

ChromeAlchemist:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

I never heard of that happening, god SEGA is really dumb when it comes to fan service aren't they?

Damn that would've been the perfect game to be released the hard core lot would like it and the cell-shaded graphics may be enough to attract the younger generation. Although probably go and stick the wii-balance board as an add-on (which would probably actually attract more people). It's be a mature game which would be liked by critics I imagine (depending on how much they change the core mechanics and how much motion control they shoe-horn in) and people will buy it I'm sure

So yeah Sega if you're listening make this game, do it, do it now. Stop messing around with sonic 3D and do Jet set radio

messy:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

ChromeAlchemist:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

Damn that would've been the perfect game to be released the hard core lot would like it and the cell-shaded graphics may be enough to attract the younger generation. Although probably go and stick the wii-balance board as an add-on (which would probably actually attract more people). It's be a mature game which would be liked by critics I imagine (depending on how much they change the core mechanics and how much motion control they shoe-horn in) and people will buy it I'm sure

So yeah Sega if you're listening make this game, do it, do it now. Stop messing around with sonic 3D and do Jet set radio

I'd rather see Jet Grind Radio on the Xbox or PS3, on the Wii, the controls would suck.

SomeGuyNamedKy:

messy:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

ChromeAlchemist:

SomeGuyNamedKy:

I'd rather see Jet Grind Radio on the Xbox or PS3, on the Wii, the controls would suck.

I agree that it'd be better on 360 (that's what I'd get it for anyway) or PS3 but for something to prevent the Wii becoming completely casual/Mario/Zelda/insert other somewhat over used Nintendo license titles this could be a really good one to use.

crazyhaircut94:
Please make more mature Wii games, then I don't feel like an idiot for getting one.

We all feel your pain.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here