Gran Turismo Supercar Comes to Life in London

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gran Turismo Supercar Comes to Life in London

This may very well be the most awesome piece of gaming swag ever: The GT by CitroŽn, a supercar developed through a collaboration between the French car maker CitroŽn and Gran Turismo studio Polyphony Digital.

Gran Turismo 5 isn't out yet but the GT by CitroŽn concept car is, a 3000 pound, 780 horsepower, two-seat monster that can kill people just by idling. "GT by CitroŽn shows how the worlds of virtual and real-life motoring can join together to create a truly innovative partnership," said Polyphony Digital Director Kazunori Yamauchi, who co-designed the exterior of the car with Takumi Yamamoto of the Style CitroŽn team. "We were delighted that CitroŽn approached us and gave us the opportunity to combine our creative strengths to build this very special concept car. To see the car take shape in game and then for real has been a truly unique experience as our work normally stays in the digital world. I just hope I can get behind the wheel of GT by CitroŽn and drive it on a real race track!"

I think I'd be scared to drive this car, on a race track or anywhere else. For one thing, 780 horsepower means this car will go from zero to 100 so quickly that by the time you realize you're doing 100 you've already hit 200, smashed into something and died. There's also the fact when it goes into production - an estimated 20 are expected to be built, according to Wikipedia - the GT by CitroŽn will sell for $2 million. I'd have to work the rest of my life just to be able to afford to change a flat tire on the thing.

But it is a thing of beauty to see, isn't it?

Source: GameCulture

And by the time you've crashed and died, the car has hit 300mph.

Fucking awesome. I'm not a car person by any means, but damn.

Who the hell are they making these cars for?

Indigo_Dingo:

My guess: GT 5 Collectors Edition

Not as epic as a Porsche 911 GT1 but I wouldn't say no for a spin i in that one.

want.

Brotherofwill:

Indigo_Dingo:

GT5 = $59.99
GT5 Collectors edition $1.5 Million

LOL

EDIT: How would you package that???

Damn, that's a nice car. I really want one, but I'll settle for seeing it in real life.

Kick-awesome. It looks like Frank Gehry and Enzo Ferrari challenged Aerodynamics to an Epic showdown tagteam and half of France exploded.

Only 20 exist in the real world, but everyone who plays Gran Turismo 5 gets to try this baby out...shows you why Gran Turismo is the racing sim king, eh?

Eh, nice try Citroen but id rather have this:

midpipps:

Brotherofwill:

Indigo_Dingo:

GT5 = $59.99
GT5 Collectors edition $1.5 Million

LOL

EDIT: How would you package that???

With a very large box.

and its a citroen?

I am now on the very verge of considering buying GT5. I really enjoyed GT4 for a time, but I didn't know how to specifically amass a true garage or get anywhere in the game. That and I don't want to have to pay for what is essentially a demo.

But damn, that looks stunning.

xmetatr0nx:

What the hell is that?

and really, the sexiest thing about that is the paintjob

Indigo_Dingo:

xmetatr0nx:

What the hell is that?

The Mazda Furai, a prototype sports racing car.

Malygris:
I think I'd be scared to drive this car, on a race track or anywhere else. For one thing, 780 horsepower means this car will go from zero to 100 so quickly that by the time you realize you're doing 100 you've already hit 200, smashed into something and died.

Note: That's apparently 780 horsepower from fuel-cell-powered electric motors, which means that it's going to have difficulty reaching 200mph. It's going to accelerate very quickly thanks to the instantaneous torque and flat torque curve, but electric engines don't reach very high top speeds.

I hope Top gear gets a hold of it.

xmetatr0nx:

My computer case has less lights then this ?!

Less pissing about with Citroen, more finishing your game please Polyphony.

GloatingSwine:

Polyphony are very keen to do anything but Gran Turismo 5. Thats the only reason they're doing Gran Turismo PsP.

I think this car is something I want need
and I'm not even a car person, let alone a Gran Turismo person...

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

Polyphony are very keen to do anything but Gran Turismo 5. Thats the only reason they're doing Gran Turismo PsP.

Exactly. They don't want to have to fix the problems which have gone unaddressed for several iterations now, especially now that online play in Prologue introduced a whole new set of problems. But they should know that if they don't fix said problems, I will personally hunt them all down and kill them.

On topic: As a car person, I'm far more interested in the Koenigsegg CCXR Edition, a carbon-fiber bodied, 1018-horsepower, $2 million dollar beast that claims to pull 1.5gs while cornering. Oh yeah, and Koenigsegg claims a top speed of 250+ mph.

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

Exactly. They don't want to have to fix the problems which have gone unaddressed for several iterations now, especially now that online play in Prologue introduced a whole new set of problems. But they should know that if they don't fix said problems, I will personally hunt them all down and kill them.

On topic: As a car person, I'm far more interested in the Koenigsegg CCXR Edition, a carbon-fiber bodied, 1018-horsepower, $2 million dollar beast that claims to pull 1.5gs while cornering. Oh yeah, and Koenigsegg claims a top speed of 250+ mph.

My all-time favorite car is the Mclaren F1, hands down, that's my dream car.

Beyond that, I'll take the Schuppan 962CR. $2.5 Million.

And if we're just talking full-out speed, I'll take the Dodge Tomahawk. Top speed over 300.

Morne

Thanks a lot, now I have to change my shirt on accoutn of all the drool that escaped my mouth.
Awesome car, I hope one finds its way stateside so I can go and see it.

Brotherofwill:

Indigo_Dingo:

lol, very big box, or maybe it will just be a tin and the title is in the box?

that looks like a very nice car, wish i could afford it

Hmm, a million more than a Bugatti Veyron and yet slower, and it's a French car, so of course the interior will eventually fall apart, and rattle in odd places. Looks like a deformed R8, in fact I'd take the R8 anytime over the GT, although I'd love to drive a Nissan GT-R.

Wow...this news is veeeerry old...like nearly-a-year-old old

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

They've already fixed most of them

Indigo_Dingo:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

I have seen no fix for the insanely ill-conceived penalty system in Prologue, and until I do, whether it is in Prologue or in GT5, I will have no faith in Polyphony Digital.

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

I have seen no fix for the insanely ill-conceived penalty system in Prologue, and until I do, whether it is in Prologue or in GT5, I will have no faith in Polyphony Digital.

Any other problems? You spoke of multiple?

Morne

Mornelithe:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

Morne

Prologue introduced a new format for starting races, in which all starts are rolling starts, plus the cars are single file and spaced about a second apart. Especially in the online mode, the disadvantage of starting at the back can be too much to make up, even in a superior car. The AI is so bad in the single player that I can make up the 16-second gap to an equal car before the second lap of a three-lap race. This, combined with the penalty system, really hurt an otherwise fun online experience. Plus, does any real world racing series start their races with the cars so spaced out? I think not.

Zetona:

Prologue introduced a new format for starting races, in which all starts are rolling starts, plus the cars are single file and spaced about a second apart. Especially in the online mode, the disadvantage of starting at the back can be too much to make up, even in a superior car. The AI is so bad in the single player that I can make up the 16-second gap to an equal car before the second lap of a three-lap race. This, combined with the penalty system, really hurt an otherwise fun online experience. Plus, does any real world racing series start their races with the cars so spaced out? I think not.

Certainly valid issues, fair enough. Have you posted on PD or Sony's GT Forums indicating your reservations with these features?

Morne

That's a very expensive lemon. A very sexy, expensive lemon.

Zetona:

Mornelithe:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

Zetona:

Indigo_Dingo:

GloatingSwine:

Morne

This is why I stick to sims that are based on reality, you can have a rolling or stationary start, you qualify for your position on the grid, and if you hit someone something far worse than a 5 second penalty occurs (like you wreck your car), unfortunately besides a couple of 360 games, the PC seems to be the only platform that has any racing sims that are actually... racing sims.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here