Tecmo Koei President "Concerned" About Motion Controls on 360, PS3

Tecmo Koei President "Concerned" About Motion Controls on 360, PS3

Tecmo Koei President Kenji Matsubara says the upcoming motion controls for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 might be fine for casual gamers but he has "concerns" about how they'll catch on with the hardcore audience.

After months of claiming that their consoles aren't actually competing with the Wii, Sony and Microsoft finally did an about-face and admitted that Nintendo might be onto something with its unique motion-sensing control scheme. Both companies unveiled their own motion control technologies at E3 this year, Microsoft's Project Natal and the PlayStation Wand from Sony. The devices have received a very positive early reception overall, but the Tecmo Koei president doesn't sound quite as confident in them as everyone else.

"We have some concerns over the fact that we specialize in making action games, so we have to explore whether we can achieve real-time response from a controller-free system," Matsubara said. "We understand that, for casual gamers playing dance games or some sort of fishing game, this controller-free system can be popular. But for hardcore gamers who like actions games, we have to research and develop games that satisfy our core gamers."

Nonetheless, he said Tecmo Koei is "very excited" about the potential of the new controllers. "I expect that, from the beginning, both these types of controls will be more suited to casual games, and later go into more hardcore oriented experiences," he said. "We haven't experimented with both technologies, so I cannot comment on which might be better. But I believe both companies are focusing on the same area - so casual gamers first, then core gamers. We hope that both are successful so that we can expand our business on both platforms."

Source: CVG

Considering the fact that Sony and Microsoft are basically competing against each other to see who will fall in a bigger ditch with motion controls, it's fair to say they'll both lose anyway.

Motion Controls aren't really the new way to play games. It's just a gimmick.

Case Closed.

Was I the only one that meh'd at the Playstation Wand? I thought Natal was far more impressive.

Ahahaha, hardcore? Coming from the creator of dynasty warriors?

Sparrow Tag:
Was I the only one that meh'd at the Playstation Wand? I thought Natal was far more impressive.

I thought both seemed rather unimpressive. Motion controls were just a passing fad. And this proves it.

A lot of big names in the gaming industry have been giving their two cents worth about these new motion controls; I'm starting to get the feeling that this is a bigger deal than I originally expected.

I think this dispels the rumors of Project Natal and the PlayStation Wand being simple gimmicks; it looks like developers have big ideas for this new technology, and I doubt they'll die out quickly too.

From the title I thought tecmo was concerned about having to add motion sensing stuff when they really didn't want to. I was going to give them a thumbs up for that, I don't want a repeat of Lair's motion sensing controls on my ps3.

Is it wrong to read the name "Kenji Matsubara" and keep thinking that the surname says something else? Because I keep doing that.

I'm pretty psyched about Natal, but I can't use it in my room - it's far too small (the room, I mean). Besides, in the demo of Burnout Paradise (or whatever the demo was), your arms'd get tired after a while.

Until they get it to a much higher level I don't really care myself. Right now everything they have is pretty basic; the controls aren't that good. Wii is fun -I guess- when I'm bored. But I've never wanted to play more than an hour of it before thinking of something better to do.

Then again if I want "motion" or serious physical activity I go outside. If I want to relax I'll play a video game. And if I want to play a video game I don't want to flail my arms about looking like an idiot.

Making a better controller is one thing (Mouse > Analogue sticks), but really now...

You expect me to care about Natal and the Playstation wand after showing me gameplay of Modern Warfare 2, and God of War 3?

There will probably be 1 or 2 good games for Natal and the wand, but other than that, it will probably fail.

Although a hack and slash with the Playstation wands does have the potential to be really sweet.

Sparrow Tag:

I don't see how anyone can say that.

One had a bunch of videos that didn't show anything and a demo that had a woman flailing her arms randomly and a guy squatting to toss inaccurate bits of paint at a wall (although the elephant was neat) while the other was a pure tech demo that showed real uses using things typically found in video games: guns, swords, maces, tanks, bows and arrows, etc.

Also, one has buttons while the other recognizes your voice. I'd take buttons over voice any day of the weak.

Motion controls have a future, if they are accurate... I can only think back to the red steel commercial that made me get a wii, and then recall the games actual game play, boy was I a bit furious. Though playing RE4 on it was pretty sweet

Alright after looking at both the demos for the things I find the one to one thing very impressive but will they be able to do this in real games. I mean like the demos for the PS3 at least, they look very unimpressive, but I guess it still is in development. So far it looks like Microsoft has a lot more ideas on how to incorporate the Natal, but will they be able to pull it off? The Wand however just looks like a remodeled Wiimote

A thought occurs. (Everyone hit the deck.)

If this article is about motion sensitive technology, what relevance has the picture of the chick on jet-ski?

I'd think the canopy of a car would be more appropriate.

Well considering that Tecmo is not a company I get particularly excited about, I don't really see the relevance that this guy thinks he has. I don't think any developer is going to have a clause where they have to produce games using the motion sensors, so if your game plays better without them then don't bother.

Also, this is not the place to argue the PS3 Wand and Natal... if you guys want to do that, feel free to carry that entire conversation out underwater that's infested with sharks. While knife-fighting.

Nox13last:
A thought occurs. (Everyone hit the deck.)

If this article is about motion sensitive technology, what relevance has the picture of the chick on jet-ski?

I'd think the canopy of a car would be more appropriate.

If the mods made sure their pictures were relevant, we'd never get to see Kojima on a duck.

Its probably from one of the DOA games.

To everyone arguing that motion controls are a passing fad...with the success of the Wii and the other major players now adopting it, I would say this "fad" is actually the beginning of a paradigm shift in gaming. Whether you like it or not, the future of gaming seems to be motion-sensor games.

The Wii won and is bringing a new way to interact with games (much like the NES did--controllers didn't always used to look like they do now, after all), get over it.

buy teh haloz:
Considering the fact that Sony and Microsoft are basically competing against each other to see who will fall in a bigger ditch with motion controls, it's fair to say they'll both lose anyway.

Motion Controls aren't really the new way to play games. It's just a gimmick.

Case Closed.

Bah, that's the ramblings of the old school. Motion controls are here to stay. It wouldn't be foolish to think that all generations superseding this one will have some form of motion control, because it seems making new ways to play games is becoming more difficult with typical control schemes, not to mention the success of such a thing. Remember when the NES controller came out, with it's piss poor amount of buttons compared to the previous controllers and simplistic design? Yeah.

Pendragon9:

Sparrow Tag:

I thought both seemed rather unimpressive. Motion controls were just a passing fad. And this proves it.

What the creators of Dynasty Warrior saying something proves it? I'd have to tell the them I'm "concerned" that they might be going under in the next 6 months.

When I saw the title, I thought the article was about the late Half-Life 2 webcomic, Concerned, found at http://hlcomic.com. Aww...

bue519:

Pendragon9:

Sparrow Tag:

What the creators of Dynasty Warrior saying something proves it? I'd have to tell the them I'm "concerned" that they might be going under in the next 6 months.

I'm not in the least bit concerned. If that were true, Tecmo never would've agreed to the merger. Given you now have a company, responsible for DoA, Ninja Gaiden, Demon Souls, Quantum Theory, Warriors Orochi and Dynasty Warriors...I'm thinking they're pretty well off for the time being. DW and WO may not be the biggest of favs in the State's, but they sell like MAD in asia. Although, I loved the DW series (except 6, that game sucked...but it was the first attempt on the newer consoles), and Warriors Orochi is SICK.

They have a point though, not many are going to be interested in playing Tekken, using motion controls, or Warriors Orochi/Dynasty Warriors for that matter. With the current setup, it just doesn't have any allure to me, whatsoever. I'm not saying that the controls are useless across all genres ever, just with regards to fighting/action games.

Mornelithe:

bue519:

Pendragon9:

Sparrow Tag:

I'm not in the least bit concerned. If that were true, Tecmo never would've agreed to the merger. Given you now have a company, responsible for DoA, Ninja Gaiden, Demon Souls, Quantum Theory, Warriors Orochi and Dynasty Warriors

Demons Souls is From Software, same guys who gave us Ninja Blade.

ddq5:
When I saw the title, I thought the article was about the late Half-Life 2 webcomic, Concerned, found at http://hlcomic.com. Aww...

Gordon Frohman... *sniffle* Why did you take off buddha mode!!!

*ahem* On topic, I have never cared much for motion controls to be honest. I was never amazed or awed. A major thing that hurts my thoughts about Natal was Peter Molyneux... A man of many broken promises. lol

Indigo_Dingo:

Mornelithe:

bue519:

Pendragon9:

Sparrow Tag:

I'm not in the least bit concerned. If that were true, Tecmo never would've agreed to the merger. Given you now have a company, responsible for DoA, Ninja Gaiden, Demon Souls, Quantum Theory, Warriors Orochi and Dynasty Warriors

Demons Souls is From Software, same guys who gave us Ninja Blade.

Oops! My bad. Thanks for the correction.

I was fairly unimpressed with both, though slightly more with Natal due to the lack of a live demonstration and the disclaimer in their advertising basically stating that you can't do as much as they say you can. Motion control [bold]can[/bold] be gimmicky but it can also be a great way of playing I think, the only problem is that nobody has got the right combination so far to make it a real staple of gaming.

In my oppinion, this is one step closer to the dream of literally being [bold]inside[/bold] the game, holodeck style, which is something I've been excited about for years. Sony is essentially giving you a reduced mo-cap suit and Microsoft is giving you a motion sensing camera. The only problem with Microsoft's Natal, I think at least, is the lack of something solid. In a game, If my character is holding something and I'm just pretending to, I think it would be a strange sensation. And it would be difficult to use a controller and jump around like an idiot at the same time anyway. At least Sony have given you the feeling of something real.

It's also going to cause more problems with exclusive titles, which I hate. It sucks that I have to own a specific console to get a specific game, especially when they're not exactly cheap. And now, developers either have to take the time to create the same game for both systems, pick one and make the game exclusive or just not make it for either system, which seems more likely.

Both are fairly unimpressive at this point, but it's hard to judge sans experience so for now I'll keep my mind open and give my final judgement when I've played an intense FPS with both systems.

AH damnit! I just did a spit take all over my laptop! What the f*ck is sony and Microsoft doing making their own motion controls? When did they think they should be more like Wii?! WHEN!? Why can't xbox just be that great person that always gets drunk, PS3 being the weird creepy person it is in a crowd, and Wii being the fun and lovable baby it is?! (that last sentence was an exaggerations if you can't pick up when someone is)

They should not be TRYING to compete with the Wii. The Wii is not trying to compete with them. I do not want the casual market on the 360. Were it up to me, all those truly kid games (Avatar, kid movie games and such) would never be on it.

Sparrow Tag:

Nope, I thought the same.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here