New Mechwarrior Game Rumored

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Mechwarrior Game Rumored

Reports are surfacing that Vancouver-based Piranha Games is working on a new Mechwarrior game and unlike most rumors, this one is accompanied by a video.

It was 20 years ago that the original Mechwarrior appeared on PCs, a groundbreaking game that let players build and deploy an elite mercenary unit throughout the five major Houses of the Inner Sphere while hunting for the marauding forces who destroyed their planet and killed their family. Three full sequels and numerous add-ons have followed, although the series has been idle since the 2002 release Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

When Microsoft pulled the plug on FASA Studio, the developer that took over the series from Activision following Mechwarrior 2, it looked like it might be the end of the franchise. But in December 2007, FASA founder Jordan Weisman announced he had licensed the rights to Mechwarrior and other properties through his new startup, Smith & Tinker, saying he wanted to "surprise and delight old fans, while welcoming new fans to these fantastic worlds."

That moment of surprise and delight may be rapidly approaching: Voodoo Extreme has posted a nine-second teaser along with a message saying, "Perhaps a Piranha will post a proper trailer later in the week?" A link to the original Smith & Tinker announcement regarding the FASA rights is also included.

You don't get to see much in nine seconds, true, but this sure looks like a new Mechwarrior game. For one thing, those flags on the left side of the screen as the video opens are blurry but don't try to tell me that's not the Federated Suns insignia on them. And is it just me or does the end of this trailer remind anyone of the opening of this one?

Stay tuned.

via: GameSpot

Please god let it be so, I love Mech games with a passion, this would be so great if they do it right. Haven't played a good mech game in years.

Jesus has it really been 20 years? Crazy, well i hope this comes true. Havent played a good mech game in some time.

Woot! While I preffer Armored Core to Mech Warrior, Mech Warrior 2 was the first Mecha game I actually owned. A sequel to that would be fantastic.

If a new MechWarrior game gets announced the same year as Golden Sun DS I will be totally convinced that I am dead and have gone to heaven.

If there is a god it'll be a total reboot of the franchise & start in 2750 be an MMOSim & truly encompass proper hardcore heat dissiptation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes. They may if I permit them allow them to steal from Renegade Legion & have hit templates :D.

I wholeheartedly endorse more giant robot games.

I hope this comes out before that Crysis battletech mod someone is supposed to be making...

I apologise for this in advance, but.

<fanboy>
OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

If this is true it's the best (gaming) news all year. I really really hope it goes towards a more MW2/3 style of play rather than 4/Assault's arcadey gubbins, but even then it would be awesome.
</fanboy>

LimaBravo:
truly encompass proper hardcore heat dissipation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.

Yes please, what he said. I would also like to see a ridiculous number of mechs, throw the whole cannon in. Recent titles have been whittled down to include all but a few perennial favorites.

FUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESF
UCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFU
CKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYES

That's the best news I've heard all year. *jumps out of chair*

Edit: If the keep the salvage system for the campaign the same as it was in Mech three, that'd be amazing. Plus

proper hardcore heat dissiptation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.

Would restore my faith in humanity.

I use to love Mechwarrior in every form. Would love a new game, though I'm hesitant on how well it will be. At least it has FASA's main man on it.

All I can say to that is: Hell ****ing Yes! There is indeed a god! I am a big fan of not just the games, but the entire battletech universe. It started for me with Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and the rest was history.

Slycne:

LimaBravo:
truly encompass proper hardcore heat dissipation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.

Yes please, what he said. I would also like to see a ridiculous number of mechs, throw the whole cannon in. Recent titles have been whittled down to include all but a few perennial favorites.

This, and I would love to see the conquest concept they tried in Mechassault 2 done right, with all the inner sphere and the clans. That would be so awesome.

Laura.:
I hope this comes out before that Crysis battletech mod someone is supposed to be making...

I have to ask this, why?

Being a Crysis mod will limit Living Legends (that's it's name and it looks amazing) audience. But even then there's nothing wrong with having two mech games to play with.

Worst case scenario is you get to play one while waiting for the other, to me that's good thought.

I still play the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack from time to time, and I remember when the board game was called Battledroids... so yeah, I'm a bit pumped by the idea that we'll be returning to the Inner Sphere soon.

-- Steve

PS: I miss Marauders.

fix-the-spade:

Laura.:

I have to ask this, why?

Being a Crysis mod will limit Living Legends (that's it's name and it looks amazing) audience. But even then there's nothing wrong with having two mech games to play with.

Worst case scenario is you get to play one while waiting for the other, to me that's good thought.

What I meant to say is that these kind of total conversion mods always take forever, and I don't want to wait that long for this rumored new Mechwarrior game.
I know modding is time consuming and can take very long and I'm not complaining (since I do nothing to help!), I was just saying "I wish this comes out in 2010" :P

HURRY THE HELL UP!

Excuse me while I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

GodIhopetheydon'tbolloxthisuplikeMicroshaftdid.

And it sure as hell better come out for PC.

Slycne:

LimaBravo:

EVE Online meets MW. I will loose my freaking mind.

Double plus awesome.

I loved the orignal mechwarriors.

/me goes to dig out kitfox schematics...

Pewpewpewpewpepewpewpewpewpewpewpew!

Yus!

RavingPenguin:
Woot! While I preffer Armored Core to Mech Warrior, Mech Warrior 2 was the first Mecha game I actually owned. A sequel to that would be fantastic.

This many times over. I hope to see what they have in store for MW.

This is probably the best news I've heard all week.

I loved Mechwarrior back in the day.

Bring it on!

Anton P. Nym:
I still play the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack from time to time, and I remember when the board game was called Battledroids... so yeah, I'm a bit pumped by the idea that we'll be returning to the Inner Sphere soon.

-- Steve

PS: I miss Marauders.

Here's the soundtrack for anyone that wants to listen in, and doesn't have their game CD handy.

Also, needs more Hatchetman/Axeman.

I think I creamed my pants a bit...

Unfortunately, since I'm genuinely looking forward to the very possibility of a new Mechwarrior game, this means one of two things will happen:

1. The game will suck. Nothing like a straightforward "Screw you!" from God to dash your hopes.

2. The game will be a console exclusive. This is a bit more personal "Screw you!". While the first option is a slap in the face to the general audience, this one is aimed more at me and as such would provoke a response of me hiring Chuck Norris to kick God in the face... repeatedly.

My God this i good news, be good for the love of all that is holy please be good

I know I already posted but...

vivaldiscool:
Edit: If the keep the salvage system for the campaign the same as it was in Mech three, that'd be amazing. Plus

proper hardcore heat dissiptation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.

Would restore my faith in humanity.

What he said.

I still want Mechassault 3.

Giant robots is there anything you can't do?

EDIT: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/48878/Get-Off-My-Lawn-Mr-Mech-Or-Else

Moar vids.

http://www.spacerat.at/3dart/fafnir.jpg

The first vid looks like a Fafnir.

Please let it be more MW3 than MW4. MW4 went backwards in just about every conceivable fashion other than limiting what weapons could fit into certain hard points.

05rutterb:
I still want Mechassault 3.

Your comments displeases the Coordinator
and brings shame upon the Combine.

The only good Mech game is a real Mech
game.

And in other related news:
I just creamed my pants at the prospect of a
true Microsoft-free Mechwarrior 5.

As long as a new sidewinder joystiq/throttle combo are released with it. Gold plated preferably.

Oh My God. We dreamed of this day, seven years ago. But I didn't think of it ever becoming more than dreams.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here