UFC President Warns Fighters Against EA Sports MMA

Pages 1 2 NEXT

UFC President Warns Fighters Against EA Sports MMA

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White has threatened to blackball UFC fighters who sign up for EA Sports MMA, saying, "EA doesn't give a [expletive] about mixed martial arts."

Rumors that White would take a dim view of any mixed martial arts fighter who agreed to appear in the upcoming EA Sports MMA first surfaced at the beginning of July. The report was uncorroborated but, as it turns out, also quite true: At UFC 100 on Saturday, the always-outspoken UFC boss made his bad feelings toward EA Sports very clear.

White said the UFC had previously approached EA Sports about establishing an MMA game franchise, but the offer was rejected. "EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport. We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this'," he claimed.

The UFC eventually threw in its lot with THQ instead, resulting in the hit UFC 2009 Undisputed, which sold over one million units in its first month of release. In light of that and the runaway popularity of MMA, EA is now looking for a piece of the action and White isn't happy about it.

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a videogame deal in the worst economy in the world. We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year and a half ago," he said.

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?" White continued. "I'm not tap-dancing around this thing or whatever. I'm telling you straight-up, I'm at war with them right now. That's how I look at it."

He also made it clear that he expects that same level of anti-EA commitment from his fighters and any fighters who aspire to be in the UFC. A agreement has been worked out to allow five-time UFC champion Randy Couture to appear in EA Sports MMA but White implied that was a one-off deal, warning that any other fighters who take part in the game "won't be in the UFC."

EA Sports MMA is currently scheduled for release in 2010 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: MMAjunkie.com

This is because EA only cares about the money and weren't willing to take a chance with it. Now they see it can work and they want a piece of the pie. I agree with Mr. White that if they're going to act like that only to come back when there is money to be made I wouldn't want to do business with them either.

remember kids beat the shit out of each other in life and NOT in a videogame.

Impressive. I wish more people were like mr. White.

Xan Krieger:
This is because EA only cares about the money and weren't willing to take a chance with it. Now they see it can work and they want a piece of the pie. I agree with Mr. White that if they're going to act like that only to come back when there is money to be made I wouldn't want to do business with them either.

Well said Xan, Well said.

And of course, the other factor is, he's just made it so that the UFC is assured it's cut of any MMA fighter that goes into a videogame -- wonder how much he got paid for Randy Couture

Good for Mr. White (He sounds like a Bond villain)!
MMA not a sport? Well EA, you're retarded. And now it shows that you're retarded and greedy.
Stick it to the man, White!

I have no doubt he's angry (I would be too), but by allowing Couture in the game at all he revealed his real interest. He is more interested in assuring that the UFC gets a cut of the money for any role in any game.

This is the result of hiring Peter Moore, LOL.

Go White! :3

Good on Mr. White, I'm not a fan of UFC but a couple of my friends get me to watch it every once in a while and White seems like an awesome straight up "I don't take shit" kinda guy. For instance I watch an episode of "The Ultimate Fighter" and these two guys got kinda drunk and they ended up having an actual fight on the pool deck. Then morning after White came by and said to them straight up, you guys are out we don't want the stereotype that we're just a bunch of street brawling thugs. That really impressed me.

That's a whole lot more anger then I expected in an interview. I totally understand the decision to condemn EA, and not give them the time of day. Blacklisting fighters is a bit more extreme then I would have expected, but I think its within her right. I would not expect public comments to have so many explicative, though. It's kind of funny that EA were assholes, swallowed there pride for the sake of money, and are getting such a vicious backlash.

EA doesn't think that MMA is a legitimate sport, but ARENA FOOTBALL is the future of the sports world and deserves a game.

UFC's style of MMA is the closest to a REAL sport that you're going to get in ANY fighting championship, be that as it may, boxing, wrestling or otherwise. YDI EA.

Dana White has two emotional states of being: Anger and mania. It's very difficult to tell them apart but most UFC watchers will agree that if he only had to be censored twice, he was really holding back.

Also, he's a dude.

Xanadu84:
That's a whole lot more anger then I expected in an interview. I totally understand the decision to condemn EA, and not give them the time of day. Blacklisting fighters is a bit more extreme then I would have expected, but I think its within her right. I would not expect public comments to have so many explicative, though. It's kind of funny that EA were assholes, swallowed there pride for the sake of money, and are getting such a vicious backlash.

It's about damn time someone gave a big middle finger to EA.

a lot of people thing UFC is MMA so you'll struggle to get off the ground without them on board. Its a shame as there are some awesome fighters signed to other promotions.

EAs motives are more than a little suspect though.

Haha sweet sweet revenge. Classic!

Heym, classic case of "this'll never work, this is sh*t" "hey, THQ did it, and it does work!" "oh yeah ? ok then we're in"

As people said, they didn't want to take a chance (surprising considering the tons of shitty games EA pulls out) but now that they *know* it works, they want in, i agree with giving them the finger.

TheTygerfire:
EA doesn't think that MMA is a legitimate sport, but ARENA FOOTBALL is the future of the sports world and deserves a game.

This times infinity.

/applause

About time someone flips EA the finger. I understand that if you don't make money, you go out of business, but if you don't care about anything *but* making money, well... Get used to people hating you! This time it actually did come back and EA in the ass. Just wish it would happen more often!

We need more corporate Presidents like Mr. White.

I completely agree with what Dana White said. That is exactly the kind of company EA is. Money, money, money. That's all they want.

Malygris:
Dana White has two emotional states of being: Anger and mania. It's very difficult to tell them apart but most UFC watchers will agree that if he only had to be censored twice, he was really holding back.

That's the [expletive] truth.

after watching the UFC for a while i can say Dana White can be a big dick but he comes across as very up front. the funny part is he's all about "oh i want guys who fight and give me a fight" yet he has a bad habit of dropping people after only losing one fight

I'm seriously disgusted if what EA said was true.

I'm a Fitness Trainer. I work my ass off at least two hours a day. I'm also a practicing Martial Artist. Practice when I wake up, an hour in the day, and when I go to sleep.

And I STILL would be wary if I was going head to head with a professional MMA practitioner. They do what I do times three every day of the year. That kind of love, effort, blood sweat and tears doesn't make a sport... but Golf is a worthy enough endeavor to be considered a true sport worthy of a game? Come off of it.

An agreement* Paragraph 7 lines 1 and 2. Ok I think they should pull the plug on the MMA game. EA is too money grubbing somebody has to put the giant in its place.

EA is the Ewe Boll of the gaming industry. It's really quite disgusting, really.

cobrausn:
I have no doubt he's angry (I would be too), but by allowing Couture in the game at all he revealed his real interest. He is more interested in assuring that the UFC gets a cut of the money for any role in any game.

Well, he is a businessman. I'd be pissed too if a franchise (or whatever UFC actually counts as) was denied by another company on such insulting grounds, only to have that company try to take money from under me later on when the jerks found out there was cash to be found in it after all. I wouldn't let EA just move in and try to covertly work with the fighters I managed either if it meant they were going to screw me over monetarily.

Everybody knows that White will lie through his teeth to UFC fans. Does it every time he insults fighters that aren't in the UFC. Seems kinda like a fascist to me.

if White fired any of his fighters because they appeared in the EA game, could the fighters then sue White for discrimination?

Xan: "This is because EA only cares about the money and weren't willing to take a chance with it. Now they see it can work and they want a piece of the pie."

First off EA is a business, and being so puts profit at the top of the priority list. An individual works for money but also "for the love of it" or whatever. To think that this transfers to corporations is naive. They weren't willing to take a chance because their analysis did not point towards success (and since this was a year and a half ago, I don't think the game would have been as successful as THQ's recent endeavor.) They saw that their initial profit analysis was proven wrong by Undisputed and, of course, they "want a piece of the pie." Why wouldn't they? Business is about making money, not about caring about MMA or anything like that. This also speaks volumes on Mr. White, who runs a business by the way. He will be more than happy to oblige EA as long as he gets a piece of the pie. Money makes the world go 'round. Don't let naivete misguide you.

Rayjay06:
Xan: "This is because EA only cares about the money and weren't willing to take a chance with it. Now they see it can work and they want a piece of the pie."

First off EA is a business, and being so puts profit at the top of the priority list. An individual works for money but also "for the love of it" or whatever. To think that this transfers to corporations is naive. They weren't willing to take a chance because their analysis did not point towards success (and since this was a year and a half ago, I don't think the game would have been as successful as THQ's recent endeavor.) They saw that their initial profit analysis was proven wrong by Undisputed and, of course, they "want a piece of the pie." Why wouldn't they? Business is about making money, not about caring about MMA or anything like that. This also speaks volumes on Mr. White, who runs a business by the way. He will be more than happy to oblige EA as long as he gets a piece of the pie. Money makes the world go 'round. Don't let naivete misguide you.

then they had bad anaylsis, considering both the xbox and ps3 and various games have sponsored the UFC and the UFC has a very high buy rate and most of it's target audience is the same ones that buy lots of video games

VoltySquirrel:

TheTygerfire:

This times infinity.

Plus another infinity. Seriously. I know EA is a big company and has to be in it for the cash, but Dana White is showing THQ some loyalty for giving them a shot first.

And besides, who didn't know that the XFL was an idea doomed to fail? (I mean, besides Jon Bon Jovi.)

Oh no, god forbid a business made a business decision. They weren't interested when it wasn't going to make them money, and now that it will make them money they are interested. That is exactly as it should be people. EA is a corporation, and they have reached the top because while they don't always make the best games, they make sound business decisions. Most of you are agreeing with over-sensitive Mr. White because you don't like EA to begin with, not because you see anything wrong with what they've done in this particular case.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here