Midway Lays Off Corporate Staff, CEO

Midway Lays Off Corporate Staff, CEO

The demolition of Midway continues as all 60 employees at the company's corporate headquarters in Chicago have been given layoff notices, including CEO Matt Booty.

Midway has given a 60-day layoff notice to employees at its corporate office, which is being shut down in the wake of the company's acquisition by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. All of Midway's corporate employees are being cut, including CEO Matt Booty, who just a few days ago went to the U.K. to pull the plug on Midway's Newcastle studio, which also fell victim to the Warner takeover.

Midway is continuing the seek a buyer for its San Diego studio, developer of the TNA Wrestling videogames, which, like Midway Newcastle, wasn't part of the takeover deal. It appears that the only facility that will emerge intact from the acquisition is Midway's Chicago development studio, which responsible for the Mortal Kombat franchise; all 100 employees at the studio have been offered jobs with WBIE.

With that, the dismantling of the once-proud Midway is almost complete. News surfaced earlier in the week that the Midway brand itself would be dropped in favor of something tied to the Warner Bros. name and while company rep Geoff Mogilner later said those reports were "premature," it seems irrelevant at this point: Midway, for all intents and purposes, no longer exists.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Poor midway :(:(

coxafloppin:

Indeed. One of the original gaming companies now reduced to this

Progress or die...

This is a shame, but I can't remember the last Midway game I actually went out and bought, so I'm not sure it's much of loss beyond the name and nostalgia.

tis a sad thing but i guess that's what happens after years of making mediocre games that keep getting worse

The Midway situations getting sadder by the day.

Darkrai:

coxafloppin:

Indeed. One of the original gaming companies no reduced to this

Well, I'd feel worse about it but at least the Mortal Kombat series will hopefully RIP.

That sucks, I remember seeing MK & MKII in the arcade for the first time (bloody expensive to play), couldn't get near the machine for all the guys pulling off the specials, didn't have the same feel to it when it made it to the consoles.

fix-the-spade:
Progress or die...

This is a shame, but I can't remember the last Midway game I actually went out and bought, so I'm not sure it's much of loss beyond the name and nostalgia.

Pretty much this if you can't put out a good product i'm not gonna feel bad, yeah you were good (ephisis on "were) but still. Sucks people lose their job but o well.

fix-the-spade:
Progress or die...

My thoughts exactly... Who knows what the future holds though

I'll miss their older stuff. It's really quite sad to see any company go down like this.

It's like someone is systematicaly crushing my childhood.
Atleas Warnerbros. offered them jobs.

cleverlymadeup:
tis a sad thing but i guess that's what happens after years of making mediocre games that keep getting worse

Ya i cant think of the last game by them I played much less liked

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here