Twelfth Pokemon Movie Sets Guinness Records

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Twelfth Pokemon Movie Sets Guinness Records

More than a decade after its premiere, Japan still loves the Pokemon anime so much that the twelfth feature film has landed a spot in Guinness' World Records before it even came out.

It turns out that Japanese Pokemon (er, Pocket Monsters) fans were rather looking forward to the latest full-length animated adventure of Pikachu and pals: Arceus: To The Conquering of Space-Time - and no, I don't know what that means either - because the title was a box-office hit before it was ever released.

Arceus racked up a fairly impressive 2,384,198 pre-sold tickets before its July 18th opening in Japanese theaters. Not only did it earn its Nintendo creators a whole mountain of yen, the 2.3 million preorders were enough to land the movie in the auspicious ranks of Guinness' Book of World Records as the world record holder for the animated motion picture with the most advance ticket sales.

Of course, Arceus' success is unlikely to be replicated anywhere else - though Pokemon: The First Movie and Pokemon: The Movie 2000 (aka Mewtwo's Counterattack and Revelation Lugia in Japan, respectively) were multi-million-dollar box-office successes, subsequent releases did successively worse. 2003's Pokemon Heroes, the fifth in the series, was the last to see any sort of box-office release whatsoever, and more recent titles have just gone straight to DVD.

Frankly, I don't know which surprises me more - that the Pokemon movies are still relative blockbusters in Japan, or that there are twelve of the damn things.

(MyCom via Kotaku)

Wow. I stoped watching these after the first movie. It's hard to believe it's still this popular.

Twelve? Christ!...

And I thought dragonball was drawn-out...

Wow i can remember going to see the first one, that was the only one i ever seen.

Yeah. I saw the first and second, plus parts of some of the others. Twelve? Dang.

Nimbus:
Twelve? Christ!...

I was just thinking the same.
How the hell did they make twelve movies?

I feel sorry for whatever film got knocked from it's place by this monstrosity though.

You act surprised that its a success over there when they've built an entire freaking theme park around the idea of Pokemon. These people love their cock-fighting esque tv show for kids. It receiving a place in the record book does rather cement its hold on the spot for one of THE most influential games of the last decade.

Would it be ironic if the 13th one failed misreably?

The first movie I thought was pretty good up til about 10 minutes from the end, it was surprisingly mature.

There were 12 of these things?

But are they SURE that this had the most advanced purchases EVER? You're telling me movies like The Dark Knight, Harry Potter, Transformers, or Iron Man didn't get more advanced ticket sales than the TWELFTH movie in a fledgling franchise?

It's Japan what do you expect.

And just for the heck of it, here is a interesting fact: The boy and the star of the films/episodes is suppose to be 10 years old, there are only 365 days in a single year and yet the number of pokemon episodes featuring the boy vastly exceeds that number. So unless he has like 3 or 4 adventures a day, the whole thing makes next to no sense.

Am I the only one who thinks this that Pokemon is worse than bloody Spongebob? Seriously, it's just a bunch of standard uninteresting characters fighting with little demon things whilst having no attempt to change the dull characters...

MalevolentJim:

No. With Arceus, they pretty much covered all of the Legendaries of the series, so I'm pretty sure that they're running out of new material.

i knew about the first two, but when did they have time to make 10 more movies?

I am 14 and I still say the first movie was good. The rest...nah, not so much. It's nice to see how well animation has come along since the first though.

Nimbus:
Twelve? Christ!...

The funny thing is, not one character in the anime has aged a day.

Did no one in japan grow up?, i swear, little kids are gonna be asking

"daddy, where you going?"

"To see pokemon my son!"

"your a disgrace daddy...."

srsly.... i mean. o collected the cards but there wont be one after this.

we ALL know once you do the space/time mumbo jumbo it's over. because the only thing you can make after that is Space/time mumbo jumbo II

take the mario series for example, they ran outa junk so they went into space. and after space there's not much you can do, so they just made a second one....

SilentHunter7:

Nimbus:
Twelve? Christ!...

The funny thing is, not one character in the anime has aged a day.

And he's allready done 3 games and a god damn filler arc not to mention the whole battle frontier thing. Seriously he should be around 16ish now like Red. But everyone knows that Pokemon's anime exists to promote the games so it will go on (and on, and on, and on)

Dammit man, pokeshyt just won't die. Their stupidity of made up animals saying their names to talk is still rotting brains!

A lot of Japanese shows get movies every summer...
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, etc.

It's also worth pointing out that there's usually some sort of perk involved with watching a Pokemon movie in Japan - typically a download of an exclusive or special edition Pokemon. For Aruseusu: Choukoku no Jikuu e it's a special edition Arceus, I'm guessing there's a lot of players who would see the movie just for the sake of the exclusive Pokemon.

Magnatek:

MalevolentJim:

No. With Arceus, they pretty much covered all of the Legendaries of the series, so I'm pretty sure that they're running out of new material.

they have been running on empty in the new matiraial tank for a long time... with something like 500 of the little buggers, so many of them are rehashes of old ones that its getting kind of sickening to watch... but they will keep going, be sure of that.

Out of curiosity, what is the longest series of movies ever?

Caprice0083:
Dammit man, pokeshyt just won't die. Their stupidity of made up animals saying their names to talk is still rotting brains!

Some of them actually speak English. But, hey you dislike Pokemon, so you wouldn't know that.

coxafloppin:
Wow i can remember going to see the first one, that was the only one i ever seen.

Ah nostalgia, that was a bloody long time ago.

coxafloppin:

I remember going and getting the free rare collectable Mew card. I still have that thing like I have all my pokemon cards. Ive watched all 11 and they are all rubbish but the first three. The rest are horrendous drivel which do nothing for pokemon at all. The only likeable character in everyone is Pikachu and you still want to break that things neck by the eleventh movie.

Ah well. Atleast the Japs love their own creation.

yourbeliefs:
There were 12 of these things?

But are they SURE that this had the most advanced purchases EVER? You're telling me movies like The Dark Knight, Harry Potter, Transformers, or Iron Man didn't get more advanced ticket sales than the TWELFTH movie in a fledgling franchise?

No it was just for the most presales to an animated movie.

I remember my dad taking me to the one with luigia and the 3 legendary birds, that I probably wont forget, first one i seen on video and the unknown one of dvd but i didn't know it went past them:|

EDIT:

Caprice0083:

Did you ever think that they were called lets say pikachu because it says the word pikachu makes sense sorta:|

I remember seeing the first three films, but I never thought they had this many. Just goes to show that the franchise is still very popular, despite being over 10 years old.

Magnatek:

MalevolentJim:

until they come out with the next set of Pokemon and the 37 legendary salamanders or something like that.

Jesus Christ, thank God that I have watched/bought (...I was young) only the first movie.

Why do people still care about that thing?

and this is what happens to the strongest series of all time

I wonder how they keep thinking up new pokemon to star in movies

Imagine the job `pokemon creative director`

One pokemon movie is enough for me. I guess that as long as pokemon keeps making money they will keep releasing movies.

The truly invincible pokemon is the over-inflated cash cow

As far as fads go, 10 years and 12 movies is pretty impressive though...

Pokemon's so retro that it's coming back into fashion - I'm in Year 11 and I'm sure everyone in the year has it on their phones, Ipods or even bring in old gameboys to go on it. And I really do mean everyone, including the whole of the Rugby team.

The first movie made me cry XD

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or