Depeche Mode Shows Up For the Zombie Apocalypse

Depeche Mode Shows Up For the Zombie Apocalypse

Left 4 Dead 2 writer Chet Faliszek says there's a very good reason why one of the survivors of the zombie apocalypse appears to be such a big Depeche Mode fan.

Look closely at Rochelle's shirt and you'll notice that it's not just a pleasant shade of pink, it's a Depeche Mode shirt. Depeche Mode, for those who don't know (and shame on you) is one of the most influential bands of the 80s, famous for hits like "Just Can't Get Enough," "Stripped," "Personal Jesus" and "Policy of Truth." The band continues to record and perform today and released a new album, Sounds of the Universe, in April 2009. Rochelle's not just a fan because someone at Valve is, however.

According to Faliszek, Valve solicited bands and labels to appear in the upcoming game but very few responded. Among them, obviously, was Depeche Mode, which gave the developer wide-ranging permission to use its recordings, likeness and fuchsia-toned duds in the game. He didn't reveal how, or even if, the band or its members would appear elsewhere in the game, but I'll be surprised if they don't turn up somewhere.

I'm no fan of product placements but I really don't mind this sort of thing. The band gets to remind people it's still out there, but without the sort of jarring insertions we're used to seeing in movies. It's realistic and natural, and with even odds that I'll greet the dawn of Z-day wearing an Iron Maiden shirt, who am I to complain about an appearance by the Mode?

Source: Kotaku

here's hoping Depeche Mode shows up as Infected.

"I just can't get enough...BRAINS!"

Well that's odd.

I wonder why they tried to get Depeche Mode, and why so many others turned them down...?

Anyway, that's great. I like most of their stuff, so, maybe they'll have music. I doubt it'll be any further than that, really. It's not like "New campaign: Fight the zombies at this Depeche Mode concert!" :P

I'm glad though. Others may feel mixed about the "advertising" but hell it's not like I'm complaining every time I see someone wear a Metallica shirt in real life, you know?

Either way, I'm glad they'll find a way to make the world feel more, for lack of better terms, "real."

Woo Depeche Mode!

Really wondering how they'll be featured as Valiance already said. Fighting zombies while Depeche Mode plays Suffer Well seems like a great idea :D

Gotta love Depeche Mode.

Hopefully they will do what Sacred 2 did and have a concert in the game. It made me start looking for Blind Guardian albums a band which I had never heard of before playing the game and finishing the specific quest.

Sneaky Valve employees, combining two things I love. Hopefully they'll implement the music. Like, you walk into a room and the radio plays "Black Celebration" or "What's Your Name?". That would be awesome.

cobra_ky:

That made me laugh so hard. Maybe they'll remix it with that word. Now that's what I call a party song. Or maybe:
"Dreaming of... brains".

Are you being paid to promote Iron Maiden Malygris? :D A link to their website and all.

Now there would be some heavy irony.

I fully love this idea. Not only are Depeche Mode one of my favourite bands, but this is the sort of level of immersion required to really make a game feel worthwhile. In this day and age of intensley good graphics the little things like this really matter.

Depeche Mode sucks ass... why would the musicly talented valve pick such a shitty band? Oh wait it's because Depeche Mode are the only ones who answered.....

Seriously Iron Madien should be in this; Eddie could even make it as a boss or one of the infected

They really need Enjoy the Silence on the soundtrack

Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Cant you understand
Oh my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

Very Apocalyptian

cobra_ky:

That would just be awesome. I wonder whether they will be special infected or just the normal ones. Either that or, if they aren't zombies, will they be performing or something, cos I can't imagine it.

Oh, awesome. I love Depeche Mode, and it's pretty cool that they contributed to the game. I can just imagine "Never Let Me Down Again" being somewhere in there.

It's a very teamwork-oriented song.

messy:
Seriously Iron Madien should be in this; Eddie could even make it as a boss or one of the infected

That would get me to buy this day 1.

That's great they got DM on board.
Now they just have to get the rights for some of the zombies to wear KMFDM shirts too.

Muses more apocolyptic songs would go great with L4D, I should know, I play them while im in the game lol.

I love dep mode. Shame the 90s generation doesn't know much of anything about them. All they listen to is Metallica or sum sh!t

LeadTaco:
Muses more apocolyptic songs would go great with L4D, I should know, I play them while im in the game lol.

I love dep mode. Shame the 90s generation doesn't know much of anything about them. All they listen to is Metallica or sum sh!t

or how they say that DM covered Personal Jesus from Marilyn Manson, god, I just want to neck-punch them.

624:
Depeche Mode sucks ass... why would the musicly talented valve pick such a shitty band? Oh wait it's because Depeche Mode are the only ones who answered.....

because unlike you, we dont want to hear brokeNCYDE while killing zombies.

Kalezian:

624:

You honsetly like Depeche Mode? Listen to "Personal Jesus" and tell me it dosn't sound like an emo kid with strep throat who just lerned to play the guitar. And WTF is brokeNCYDE?

624:

I've always loved the "oh wait" insertion to prove a point. It's diabolically clever.

Im not a massive Depeche Mode fan but I gotta admit they can write some atmospheric music when they want to. I think if they include some of their music or if they write some sort of score it could add to the game considerably.

Thinking about it, mowing down zombies to 'just cant get enough' would be wonderfully sinister

squid5580:
Hopefully they will do what Sacred 2 did and have a concert in the game. It made me start looking for Blind Guardian albums a band which I had never heard of before playing the game and finishing the specific quest.

Remember when Valve said that the first campaign is in Georgia where the infection hasn't hit yet? What better place for dispersion of a pathogen than a crowd of say, 10,000 people?

Awesomeness.

I would like Francis reapearing with a Metallica T-shirt.

cobra_ky:

Haha, that's very clever :P

In regards to the article, I'm definately buying L4D2 now!

And to all the haters out there: We don't care what you think :)

624:

Kalezian:

624:

You honsetly like Depeche Mode? Listen to "Personal Jesus" and tell me it dosn't sound like an emo kid with strep throat who just lerned to play the guitar. And WTF is brokeNCYDE?

Well obviously you don't grasp the point of the song. Also you act like "Personal Jesus" is their only song. Sure it's the one they're remembered for now but it's not their only good song. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the only song by them you must have heard and thus created a generalization.

Or you just think everything about the 80s sucked, in which case I can't help you.

AceDiamond:

624:

Kalezian:

624:

Well obviously you don't grasp the point of the song. Also you act like "Personal Jesus" is their only song. Sure it's the one they're remembered for now but it's not their only good song. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the only song by them you must have heard and thus created a generalization.

Or you just think everything about the 80s sucked, in which case I can't help you.

It's not the only song I've heard. They were innovative when they were the only thing out there, but people with such high quality standards like valve using them? It's like having an beutifull ice-cream sundae and insted of a cherry on top you put an old, leathery, testical with a bad 80's haircut on it. The only reson valve put them in the game is because they'll sell more copies and the only reson people still listen to Depeche Mode is nostalgia.

Its also just one more reson to hate the new characters...

624:
Complaining Snip

Simple idea: Don't play?
OT: Awesome, but doesn't the guy in the suit vaguely look like Phil Collins? I think he does...
I know Ellis looks like the Scout.

Well that sounds quite reasonable, and is actually quite a good idea. Requesting to use band's music (presumably for free) in return for throwbacks in the game does seem to fit with the Valve style.

Depeche Mode are one of those bands who have a very wide scope, but most people have only heard one track, and its usually one of the dodgy 80s synth pop ones.

Now I'm not saying 'you must like them or you're wrong' but I would say, its too early to say you don't like them based off one track, or even one album, and I don't expect everyone to sit down and listen to the whole discography.

But, like Blur, they can adapt to a multitude of style, no, Blur don't just do different versions of 'Parklife' or 'Song 2' either (two very different tracks to make my point, but before Song 2, people thought all they did was 'Parklife' style.)

This is the sort of in-game advertising I don't mind at all. If it fits within the context of the game, cool.

... Why Depeche Mode of all things?
I don't really like them at all, my parents do, but I'm not attracted to their music?

Why such a band? Why not something awesome like Pink Floyd or Who or someone who someone might have heard about?

As someone whose wardrobe consists of band shirts and cargoes, I can completely understand the wardrobe choice.
I wish this didn't become an Iron Maiden fandom thread, but I agree. Real people will be gunning down zombies in Iron Maiden shirts, because those colors don't run from cold, bloody war.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here